CIAC Playoffs... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

CIAC Playoffs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I heard from a decent source last week that Oregon offered Outlow as more of a defensive player than a running back. TIFWIW.

He also holds offers from Alabama, Ohio State, and many others. He was asked about it by Sean Patrick Bowley (CT Post).

Reaction Score
Ansonia 41, Hyde 13 F
Arkeel Newsome rushed 15 times for 213 yards and 4 TDs. In the process, he broke the state career TD record (Alex Thomas, 114). Newsome now has 116 career TDs.

NFA 30, Staples 28 F

North Branford 62, Woodland 27 F

Windsor 27, New Canaan 21 F

Xavier 30, Glastonbury 7 4Q
Wow, NFA got a BIG win!

Reaction Score
Ansonia 41, Hyde 13 F
Arkeel Newsome rushed 15 times for 213 yards and 4 TDs. In the process, he broke the state career TD record (Alex Thomas, 114). Newsome now has 116 career TDs.

NFA 30, Staples 28 F

North Branford 62, Woodland 27 F

Windsor 27, New Canaan 21 F

Xavier 30, Glastonbury 14 F

--No FCIAC team in the state finals for the first time since 1994.
--Ansonia will be making its 26th state final, looking for 18th title. They have appeared in 3 straight state finals and are riding a state-best 27-game win streak.
--Xavier is making it's 3rd straight LL state final appearance.
--North Branford will be seeking their first state title since 1979.
--NFA hasn't won a championship game since 1945.

Reaction Score
currenscc 5:35pm via Twitter for iPhone
Hand 21-0 after 1. Tigers with 202 yards of offense thus far. If these trends continue ..... #cthsfb

currenscc 5:28pm via Twitter for iPhone
Filippone: "Tighten your G** damn helmets." #cthsfb

currenscc 5:16pm via Twitter for iPhone
Looks like Zombie Matt Walsh will be headed back in soon. Not for the squeamish over here. 14-0 Hand. #cthsfb

currenscc 5:07pm via Twitter for iPhone
Matt Walsh severely dinged up there. Bleeding all over the place. #cthsfb

Tuff Kid...

Reaction Score
Hand 35 - Masuk 0 HALF
Berlin 14 - Weston 7 3Q
Hilllhouse 28 - Montville 12 HALF

Reaction Score
Berlin 21- Weston 7 F
Hillhouse 48- Montville 26 F
Hand 42 - Masuk 23 F

Reaction Score
Woodland will have a difficult time with North Branford. They should be able to play with them offensively, but their defense hasn't shown the ability to shut good offenses down. North Branford has one of the best QBs in the state no one talks about in Brandan Basil. The kid is legit. Good size, strong arm, very accurate. He does an outstanding job running the T-Birds offense. On the flip side, NBs defense can give up point and yardage. So, this game could turn into a shoot out.

Staples from what I've heard, could be without RB Nick Kelly. He dislocated his shoulder in the WH game.

We'll see if Masuk learned anything from the beating they took from Hand last year.

Hyde will hang with Ansonia early, maybe a half. If Ansonia is clicking on offense, they blow Hyde out. They have great team speed and athletes, but lack size in the trenches. Newsome could have a huge afternoon.

Windsor is out for revenge.

Hillhouse should blow out Wolcott. Way too much speed.

Xavier and Berlin win comfortably, I think.

Kris, spot on.

Hyde wasn't in the same ballpark as Ansonia.

If Staples had Kelly it might have been a different outcome.

Masuk had a couple late scores, but they were out-muscled.

Woodland needs to find a defense.

Berlin was a closer game than i thought would be. Kudos to Weston for a good year.

Reaction Score
12/02/2012 Boys Football Norwich Free Academy @Staples TBA, Class LL semifinal TBD
12/02/2012Boys Football Glastonbury @ XavierTBA, Class LL semifinalTBD
12/02/2012Boys Football Woodland @ North BranfordTBA, Class S semifinalTBD
12/02/2012Boys Football New Canaan @ WindsorTBA, Class L semifinalTBD
12/02/2012Boys Football Hyde Leadership @ AnsoniaTBA, Class S semifinalTBD
12/02/2012Boys FootballPWeston @ BerlinTBA, Class M semifinalTBD
12/02/2012Boys FootballPHillhouse @ WolcottTBA, Class M semifinalTBD
12/02/2012Boys FootballPMasuk @ Daniel HandTBA, Class L semifinalTBD

My picks for the Finals-

LL - NFA vs Xavier
L - Hand vs Windsor
M - Hillhouse vs Berlin
S - Ansonia vs North Branford

Yayyyyyy

Reaction Score
--No FCIAC team in the state finals for the first time since 1994.

I stand corrected. This is the first ever an FCIAC team will not be playing for a state title. Idris Price led FCIAC's McMahon HS to a 53-16 win over Killingly in the 1994 MM state final.

Reaction Score
He scored 5 in a half against Prince Tech. It's not impossible, considering their opponent on Sunday and their potential opponent should they make it to the Rent. He's as healthy as he's been all year. I definitely think they will try to establish him early and often. He can certainly add 9 more in two games.

Hey - I was wrong (well, not yet but unless something real weird happens I will be). Newsome has 39TD w/ champ game left? My bad in reading that he was @ 26 when comment was made - not 31. Kid's a beast... Hope he continues to grow and get stronger and keeps grades high!

Reaction Score
CLASS LL

No. 5 Norwich Free Academy (12-0) vs. No. 3 Xavier (11-1), FRIDAY, 7 p.m.
CLASS L

No. 2 Windsor (11-0) vs. No. 1 Hand (12-0), SATURDAY, 5:35 p.m.
CLASS M

No. 4 Hillhouse (10-2) vs. No. 2 Berlin (11-1), SATURDAY, 2:05 p.m.
CLASS S

No. 3 North Branford (12-0) vs. No. 1 Ansonia (13-0), SATURDAY, 10:35 a.m.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
besides the ansonia game, i'm having to think thru who my picks are. some tuff games to pick this year. maybe becuase crappy fciac schools aren't involved.

Reaction Score
besides the ansonia game, i'm having to think thru who my picks are. some tuff games to pick this year. maybe becuase crappy fciac schools aren't involved.
There are actually four decent matchups this year that could go either way.

The one game that I could see as a blowout is Class M. If Hillhouse shows up, Berlin will get run off the field. Hillhouse has too much speed for Berlin. Arkeel Newsome went nuts against Berlin in 2011. Hillhouse has two backs that could do the same and Hillhouse's defense is playing the best it has all season.

In Class LL, I'm leaning toward NFA. They seem to have everything clicking and have some much confidence right now. Xavier is playing as well as it has all year and they're healthy which could be bad for NFA. It will be interesting to see how NFA handles playing in their first championship game since 1945.

In Classs L, Windsor matches up very will with Hand. They're certainly bigger and may be more athletic. Hand always plays well in these big games. Windsor will have to play it's best game to win.

In Class S, I think North Branford presents a challenge to Ansonia. They're a very balanced team and their QB (Basil) is outstanding and very accurate. Ansonia loves to bring pressure and plays man all over the field. So, if NB can pick up the blitz there will be opportunities for big plays down the field. It's nearly impossible to run at Ansonia's front 7. Hyde tried and failed miserably. The problem for NB is Ansonia's speed and big play ability. Newsome is healthy. His ability to change direction and the burst are back. Hyde Leadership had speed, Newsome ran by them like they were standing still. Matos demands double coverage. McKnight can tuck it and take off. Finney is a huge mismatch for a LB. Ansonia is big, physical, and more athletic. If the running game gets going, Ansonia will keep the ball out of Basil's hands and roll. NB hasn't seen a team like Ansonia, and Ansonia hasn't seen at team like NB. It's the matchup everyone wanted in Class S. NB will score, Ansonia will score more often. Ansonia wins it's 18th State Title in 26 appearances, 27th straight game, and 745th career victory. All state records.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
There are actually four decent matchups this year that could go either way.

The one game that I could see as a blowout is Class M. If Hillhouse shows up, Berlin will get run off the field. Hillhouse has too much speed for Berlin. Arkeel Newsome went nuts against Berlin in 2011. Hillhouse has two backs that could do the same and Hillhouse's defense is playing the best it has all season.

In Class LL, I'm leaning toward NFA. They seem to have everything clicking and have some much confidence right now. Xavier is playing as well as it has all year and they're healthy which could be bad for NFA. It will be interesting to see how NFA handles playing in their first championship game since 1945.

In Classs L, Windsor matches up very will with Hand. They're certainly bigger and may be more athletic. Hand always plays well in these big games. Windsor will have to play it's best game to win.

In Class S, I think North Branford presents a challenge to Ansonia. They're a very balanced team and their QB (Basil) is outstanding and very accurate. Ansonia loves to bring pressure and plays man all over the field. So, if NB can pick up the blitz there will be opportunities for big plays down the field. It's nearly impossible to run at Ansonia's front 7. Hyde tried and failed miserably. The problem for NB is Ansonia's speed and big play ability. Newsome is healthy. His ability to change direction and the burst are back. Hyde Leadership had speed, Newsome ran by them like they were standing still. Matos demands double coverage. McKnight can tuck it and take off. Finney is a huge mismatch for a LB. Ansonia is big, physical, and more athletic. If the running game gets going, Ansonia will keep the ball out of Basil's hands and roll. NB hasn't seen a team like Ansonia, and Ansonia hasn't seen at team like NB. It's the matchup everyone wanted in Class S. NB will score, Ansonia will score more often. Ansonia wins it's 18th State Title in 26 appearances, 27th straight game, and 745th career victory. All state records.

nfa has been my sleeper since summer. sticking with them.
im taking hand but this could be a battle won in the trenches.
ansonia all day
hillhouse i'm going with. let the rbs run wild.

Reaction Score
Hand hasnt played their starters the 2nd half of their 2 playoff games. Last game against Masuk they played all JV players the 2nd half.

They easily beat Xavier earlier in the year also. Dont see Windsor being that tough of a matchup for Hand.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected. This is the first ever an FCIAC team will not be playing for a state title. Idris Price led FCIAC's McMahon HS to a 53-16 win over Killingly in the 1994 MM state final.
The announcer on one of the games Sunday said the same thing about the FCIAC. I taught Idris at Milford way back in the day, they had one hell of a team.

Reaction Score

Newsome makes history (58:00 mark)

Ansonia's junior RB Arkeel Newsome became CT's all-time career TD leader, passing former Ansonia and Yale grad, Alex Thomas (114). Newsome will lead the Chargers (13-0) into Saturday's Class S title game against North Branford (12-0) at 10:30am. All four state finals can be seen live on CPTVSports, ESPN3, and the WatchESPN app.

Inside the career numbers of Arkeel Newsome:
582 carries
6,571 yards (11.3 yd/c)
116 total TDs

Reaction Score
No doubt Newsome is a good player, I hope his academics and paperwork are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom