Christyn Williams's Final 2: UConn and SC | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams's Final 2: UConn and SC

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yes, true, but the biggest problem UConn seemed to have in that semifinal game was that they had no one to take their person off the dribble and without Katie Lou's shooting from earlier in the year, they struggled with the physicality of Miss. St. They uglied (I know spelling) up game by disrupting the motion, therefore keeping UConn at bay. Also, surprisingly, UConn's defense had trouble with Miss. St allowing them to score easily. South Carolina's on the other had did to Miss. St what they did to UConn. The much aligned Cuevas-Moore,(by boneyarder's opinion) put so much pressure on Morgan Williams that she cracked. Dawn always keeps a multiple big guard defenders to handle a Vivians. UConn had to shoot well to win, and unfortunately they were struggling in that department because of the pressure defense. South Carolina was capable of bringing the same pressure with better athletes again on that Neutral court. Geno stated earlier in the year, that they were vulnerable, and though he probable didn't expect to lose, he was right. The erasers of mistakes that UConn usually has in forms of talent were not there last year so every game needed a great effort.

The person who really struggled missed 3-4 open lay ups she hadn't missed all year. Collier had a tough shooting night and it had nothing to do with the outside game. She had a subpar night that started early, well before anyone knew it would be a tight game. It contributed greatly to the game being a tossup in the last few minutes. SC won the championship fair and square and what would have happened if they had to play UConn is not worth talking about. But the comparison to UConn getting to play Louisville instead of Baylor is not ill-taken. It was a gift to UConn as was SC getting to play MSU. UConn is so loaded this year if healthy it's silly. But they still have to play the game, so who knows.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I think it was Sluconn. I agree that it was an opinion, but one I share. I think UConn was the best team last year. I think Baylor may have been better than us at the end of 2013, but the gap was small. Once Stewie turned the corner in March, we were a different team.
Oops, sorry.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, true, but the biggest problem UConn seemed to have in that semifinal game was that they had no one to take their person off the dribble and without Katie Lou's shooting from earlier in the year, they struggled with the physicality of Miss. St. They uglied (I know spelling) up game by disrupting the motion, therefore keeping UConn at bay. Also, surprisingly, UConn's defense had trouble with Miss. St allowing them to score easily. South Carolina's on the other had did to Miss. St what they did to UConn. The much aligned Cuevas-Moore,(by boneyarder's opinion) put so much pressure on Morgan Williams that she cracked. Dawn always keeps a multiple big guard defenders to handle a Vivians. UConn had to shoot well to win, and unfortunately they were struggling in that department because of the pressure defense. South Carolina was capable of bringing the same pressure with better athletes again on that Neutral court. Geno stated earlier in the year, that they were vulnerable, and though he probable didn't expect to lose, he was right. The erasers of mistakes that UConn usually has in forms of talent were not there last year so every game needed a great effort.
UCONN is not about that dribble for no reason life. UCONN is about spacing, cutting , ball movement and shooting rinse repeat.
Wait it was the BY maligning Cuevas-Moore? Could have sworn it was her own coach and Cuevas herself letting a freshmen take her spot.
https://y.yarn.co/3865864d-5ca9-4938-ad3d-ffb6a22d7090.mp4?1508861579743

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
The UConn getting to play Louisville vs South Carolina getting to play Miss St. argument makes no logical sense. The fact is that South Carolina had already punched their ticket... they were going to play either Miss St or UConn period.... Baylor on the other hand had left the tourney a few week prior in 2013, so it wasn't even a possibility. The UConn vs South Carolina rematch was a single buzzer beating basket away from happening (I think we could have pulled it out in double OT since we missed like 4 shots in a row to start the OT I believe and I doubt that would have happened twice). Both Louisville and Mississippi St. earned their right to play in the title game knocking off some very very good teams.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
The UConn getting to play Louisville vs South Carolina getting to play Miss St. argument makes no logical sense. The fact is that South Carolina had already punched their ticket... they were going to play either Miss St or UConn period.... Baylor on the other hand had left the tourney a few week prior in 2013, so it wasn't even a possibility. The UConn vs South Carolina rematch was a single buzzer beating basket away from happening (I think we could have pulled it out in double OT since we missed like 4 shots in a row to start the OT I believe and I doubt that would have happened twice). Both Louisville and Mississippi St. earned their right to play in the title game knocking off some very very good teams.

Yep, which is why the whole "you backed into your title" argument is offensive. Both teams, UConn in 2013 and South Carolina in 2017, won the games they were supposed to win. It's not their fault teams that were "supposedly" better didn't win the games they were supposed to win. Its the tournament, upsets happen and that's what makes it exciting.

Reaction Score
Yep, which is why the whole "you backed into your title" argument is offensive. Both teams, UConn in 2013 and South Carolina in 2017, won the games they were supposed to win. It's not their fault teams that were "supposedly" better didn't win the games they were supposed to win. Its the tournament, upsets happen and that's what makes it exciting.
This was my sentiments exactly. I never begrudged UConn's win in 2013 because I felt that it was Mulkey's job to get her team with all of that talent ready to beat Louisville and they were not emotionally prepared to play the defensively awkward and fired up schoni schimmel team. Uconn fans may have underestimated the embarasssment that Miss St had after that 60pt loss and sports is still about pride and emotion sometimes. That being said, many SC fans find it degrading that so many UConn fans try to discredit SC championship. They both played the final team that was before them to win. If South Carolina uses it's championship in this way to find half as much success as UConn found after their 2013 championship, I will be happy. This happens many times in Men's basketball because talent is more evenly spread among many elite teams. While UConn still has a great advantage in Coaching (respect given to Geno), the talent is going more places now in wbb, just like the men and there is a lot more elite talent, thus there will be some that take the mantle to challenge UConn. Frankly, you get more respect from having real competition than thinking that everyone wants one team to have all the talent and brag about beating teams that are significantly challenged from a skill perspective.

Reaction Score
This was my sentiments exactly. I never begrudged UConn's win in 2013 because I felt that it was Mulkey's job to get her team with all of that talent ready to beat Louisville and they were not emotionally prepared to play the defensively awkward and fired up schoni schimmel team. Uconn fans may have underestimated the embarasssment that Miss St had after that 60pt loss and sports is still about pride and emotion sometimes. That being said, many SC fans find it degrading that so many UConn fans try to discredit SC championship. They both played the final team that was before them to win. If South Carolina uses it's championship in this way to find half as much success as UConn found after their 2013 championship, I will be happy. This happens many times in Men's basketball because talent is more evenly spread among many elite teams. While UConn still has a great advantage in Coaching (respect given to Geno), the talent is going more places now in wbb, just like the men and there is a lot more elite talent, thus there will be some that take the mantle to challenge UConn. Frankly, you get more respect from having real competition than thinking that everyone wants one team to have all the talent and brag about beating teams that are significantly challenged from a skill perspective.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but not this:

If South Carolina uses it's championship in this way to find half as much success as UConn found after their 2013 championship, I will be happy. This happens many times in Men's basketball because talent is more evenly spread among many elite teams.

Unlike SC, UConn had won 5 titles prior to 2013 while SC was at their second FF last year. And the talent in men's BB isn't spread more evenly. There are 4 or 5 teams that consistently sign most of the top ranked players. The difference is that the talent pool compared to wcbb is like comparing a lily pond to the Atlantic ocean. Top players go to top coaching.

And why do fans of other programs love to talk about how UConn gets all the top players. Is there some rule I don't know about that says Geno gets to pick first and that the recruits have no choice? Last time I looked it was the recruits who picked their school. If more of them pick UConn maybe there's something about UConn they like. Try asking your own coaches what that is. Or maybe, like the fans at Tenn you can make up a load of BS about free houses and homophobic fear-mongering to explain why UConn is more attractive than other schools that offer better climates, academics with gilded reputations or post-grad employment networks.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
But the comparison to UConn getting to play Louisville instead of Baylor is not ill-taken. It was a gift to UConn as was SC getting to play MSU.

We need to dispense with this nonsense. Again, Baylor barely squeaked by UConn in Hartford during the season while Stewie was in walkabout mode and Jefferson a non-factor. You might recall UConn played the same Louisville team that beat Baylor and crushed them.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Frankly, you get more respect from having real competition than thinking that everyone wants one team to have all the talent and brag about beating teams that are significantly challenged from a skill perspective.

Sure, but one team has never had all the talent. This is a widely spread misnomer. Just some of the top-2 rated players UConn didn't get in the last four years:

Durr, Deshields, Cox, Holmes, Turner, Mitchell, Wilson, Russell.

And I don't think anyone is bragging about beating the Tulsas of the world. But UConn is not short on big victories over top-5 teams.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Does CW's game remind anyone of a UConn player of recent vintage?
When I watch Christyn, I see a strong left-handed player with a good handle who is willing and able to make tough shots. I still see elements of the same 3 players I saw a year ago: Asia Durr, left-handed shooter; Arike Ogunbowale, a little stocky, strong, and aggressive; and Diana Taurasi, confident player who can carry a team.

Reaction Score
Seriously? You mean to tell me some SC fans actually walked away from the game at UCONN saying "can't wait until we get UCONN on a neutral floor".
I think Roscoe ( A'ja's father) said something similar first time SC came to Storrs: "Can't wait until next year when UCONN has to come to Columbia". Be careful what you wish for!

I think a lot of Carolina fans saw the game as more competitive later than many of the prior games and did indeed hope that a second matchup on a neutral floor might yield a different result. I'm not sure it occurred to many Carolina fans that UConn wouldn't be an issue in the Tournament. As late as the Final Four it never occurred to me that UConn would lose to Miss State.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of Carolina fans saw the game as more competitive later than many of the prior games and did indeed hope that a second matchup on a neutral floor might yield a different result. I'm not sure it occurred to many Carolina fans that UConn wouldn't be an issue in the Tournament. As late as the Final Four it never occurred to me that UConn would lose to Miss State.

I fully expect UCONN to rectify the situation with a Championship this year.

We could have and would have last year if not for a lucky shot by MSU.

Reaction Score
We didn't win last year. Get over it. I was incredibly proud of what they accomplished and the pride they bring every game to the University. SC won, they earned it. Respect it. Oh by the way we are bringing it home this year.

Reaction Score
I don't care what people want to call it and I don't care who is offended by it. If things had gone as they should have, UConn would PROBABLY have the same number of championships and South Carolina would have NONE!

Preach Brother, Preach.

1000% Correct.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Plenty of 18 year olds know what they are doing.

Very true, and a lot of them don't. That's why there's been an increase in the number of transfers the last few years. The numbers do not lie.

Reaction Score
Very true, and a lot of them don't. That's why there's been an increase in the number of transfers the last few years. The numbers do not lie.

True, but it also works both ways. Both schools and recruits are responsible for this. Coaches can recruit over other recruits forcing them to look elsewhere for playing time. This is probably the reason for most transfers.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom