Christyn Williams's Final 2: UConn and SC | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams's Final 2: UConn and SC

Reaction Score
Thanks for proving my point. With it being that you have no basis and your argument is strictly personal.

Ciao.
Proving what point, that Vic in 2 games has done something with a less talented team that Dawn hasnt been able to! If Coates did not get hurt, she wouldnt have sat her on her own! Again IMO, since Aja joined the team the middle was to congested for both. Wilson is by far the better player. South Carolinas offense opened up right after the injury for the better! Ciao will be properly used when the timer says 00 and it is another 20 point win for UCONN on Feb 1st!

Reaction Score
What is plan B for recruitment if Williams chooses SC?
Plan C if ONO goes elsewhere?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
What is plan B for recruitment if Williams chooses SC?
Plan C if ONO goes elsewhere?

What happens if ONO commits elsewhere? Oldude and Milford said: "Go hard after Brunelle, Boston, et al in the Class of 2019, and go after Ezi the Aussie". I concur. I also agree with Jordy said: "UConn should chase her (Ezi) no matter the outcome with Williams and ONO". No doubt Geno and staff do have a "Plan B" that I'm sure they hope they won't have to employ.

Charli Collier's sudden change of heart has heightened the need for UConn to sign a big. With Collier, UConn was set (that bird in the hand) at the post position through the 2021 season, as they continued to recruit other notable bigs. Now they have to scramble to find another post player(s) to fill the void they thought they had filled with her. UConn has no BIG (6'5"+) post players committed, or waiting to step up off the bench.

The key in how much time the staff has to secure a post player is Stevens. The length of her commitment to the UConn program. SHE is the wildcard in this poker game. I can't believe Geno would accept Stevens as a transfer for only one year, especially since his need for a post player is critical. No doubt the length of time she was willing to commit had to be the main topic of discussion during their talks concerning the plausibility of her joining the program. Her ability to fit in and handle the academics was a no brainer.

She's made a commitment, we just don't know what it is. Assuming it's for two years, gives Geno an extra year of leeway to find a post player as far down the road as the 2020 class. Don't dismiss the possibility of another BIG transferring in from another program.

UConn needs post players (plural). Entering a season without a post presence is something I doubt Geno wants to do again. He won't have Williams or Butler to turn to next time. Failure to secure a post player is not an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
As of today ESPN has 21 five-star players ranked 98 and 20 five-star players ranked 97.
Three are uncommitted. One (#27) is going to ND. ND has 3 commitments in the second half of the list.
Two players (#16 and #20) committed to Stanford.
Texas has 3, one of whom may have been blown over there by the hurricanes.
We will soon know if this is a down year :eek: for recruitments perhaps accompanied by posts from non-UConn fans who would strongly disagree with us.

"Failure to secure a good to adequate post player is not an option".

We have gone after A'ja Wilson (perhaps), Lauren Cox and Charlie Collier.
Did we seriously look at a work horse down the list during recruitments?

Reaction Score
As of today ESPN has 21 five-star players ranked 98 and 20 five-star players ranked 97.
Three are uncommitted. One (#27) is going to ND. ND has 3 commitments in the second half of the list.
Two players (#16 and #20) committed to Stanford.
Texas has 3, one of whom may have been blown over there by the hurricanes.
We will soon know if this is a down year :eek: for recruitments perhaps accompanied by posts from non-UConn fans who would strongly disagree with us.

We have gone after A'ja Wilson (perhaps), Lauren Cox and Charlie Collier.
Did we seriously look at a work horse down the list during recruitments?

If you're a UConn fan you have to live with this kind of disappointing outcome from time to time...........while we're not privy to all of the recruits they offer each year, I think it's fair to say that UConn's offers are few and far between..........the coaches are just not going to "settle" for a player with a less then stellar attitude while perhaps they'll take a very good but not great athlete............skilled posts are hard to come by and skilled posts with great motors and attitudes are harder yet to find................if AS stays two years all should be fine, if not it's going to be a bit of a problem when facing the Texas teams...........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the challenges for UConn when recruiting BIGS, is that there are a number of BIGS that are perfectly capable players for most schools that just can’t play in Geno’s system.

Geno wants all 5 players on the floor to be able to move effectively in UConn’s motion offense, pass the ball and cut, and switch on defense. There’s only a handful of BIGs each year athletic enough that are capable of playing at that level. Think Stewie, Steph, Z hopefully, and likely ONO and Ezi if they come to Storrs.

Reaction Score
True, but it also works both ways. Both schools and recruits are responsible for this. Coaches can recruit over other recruits forcing them to look elsewhere for playing time. This is probably the reason for most transfers.
Exactly. Pushing recruits to the curb, before and after they arrive happens more often than many people realize. Beware of “ Smiling Faces “. Sometimes they don’t tell the truth.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Interestingly enough regarding post players, I have and always will trust GA and staff when it comes to recruiting.
That being that I wonder if the verbal of Charli Collier offset <maybe> the recruitment of a couple of New York post players. Danielle Cosgrove? Olivia Owens?

Reaction Score
Interestingly enough regarding post players, I have and always will trust GA and staff when it comes to recruiting.
That being that I wonder if the verbal of Charli Collier offset <maybe> the recruitment of a couple of New York post players. Danielle Cosgrove? Olivia Owens?

I tend to doubt it, I'm not aware of much long term interest in either of those two other then from some folks on this board who were excited by their proximity and their height...........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
With Collier, UConn was set at the post position through the 2021 season. Now they have to scramble to find another serviceable post player(s) to fill the void they thought they had filled with her. UConn has no BIG (6'5"+) post players committed, or waiting in the on-deck circle.

If Geno is successful in recruiting ONO, Boston and Brunelle, he would then be able to cancel the red alert, and return to Def-Con1.

Keep in mind that UConn was recruiting Nelson-Ododa and Boston all the time Collier was still a UConn verbal. So it wasn't like UConn only wanted one larger post player and it doesn't mean UConn is in desperation mode at the moment as they continue to recruit those two. Perhaps Magbegor's recruitment was a domino effect of Collier's change of mind. Either way, she potentially gives UConn lots of insurance for the loss of Collier.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Whether UConn fans choose to admit it or not, Charli Collier's sudden change of heart threw UConn's long range recruiting plans into "crisis" mode. With Collier, UConn was set at the post position through the 2021 season. Now they have to scramble to find another serviceable post player(s) to fill the void they thought they had filled with her. UConn has no BIG (6'5"+) post players committed, or waiting in the on-deck circle.
The key in deciding what to do and who to pursue, is tied to how long Stevens has committed to playing at UConn. SHE is the wildcard in this poker game. I can't believe Geno would accept Stevens as a transfer for only one year, especially since his need for a post player is critical. No doubt the length of time she was willing to commit to had to be the main topic of discussion, as there were other in-depth discussions about other items concerning the plausibility of her joining the program. Her ability to fit in and handle the academics was a no brainer.
UConn needs post players (plural). Entering a season without an adequate post presence is something I doubt Geno wants to do again. He won't have Williams or Butler to turn to next time. Failure to secure a good to adequate post player is not an option. If Geno is successful in recruiting ONO, Boston and Brunelle, he would then be able to cancel the red alert, and return to Def-Con1.
The program is not in "crisis" mode because Charli Collier changed her mind and regardless of what Azura decides to do UCONN will still remain competitive for National championships for the foreseeable future. While there might be some 6'4" post players willing to wait in UCONN's on deck circle the fact of the matter is that such a circle does not exist. UCONN is and will remain very selective about the type of post players it offers-there will be no panic or compromise of the UCONN standard.

Reaction Score

Cosgrove committed to Notre Dame and Owens to Maryland.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

No, Geno looked at both early on and decided not to pursue them.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UConn should chase her no matter the outcome with Williams and ONO.

I think that's right.

The season for Canberra (Ezi's team) concludes in January. So if Ezi is going to consider playing in the US that decision and visiting schools was always going to spill over in to 2018. I know of one school that has tried to make progress with Ezi and has so far gotten nowhere. We'll see what happens with a better coach and a better program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that's right.

The season for Canberra (Ezi's team) concludes in January. So if Ezi is going to consider playing in US, that decision and visiting schools was always going to spill over in to 2018. I know of one school that has tried to make progress with Ezi and has so far gotten nowhere. We'll see what happens with a better coach and better program.

in this video at about the 3:15 mark she talks about staying in Australia or going to the U.S. for college, but she says "depends on whether I get offered a scholarship to the school in America I want to go to." My guess would be UCLA maybe.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

in this video at about the 3:15 mark she talks about staying in Australia or going to the U.S. for college, but she says "depends on whether I get offered a scholarship to the school in America I want to go to." My guess would be UCLA maybe.

And Geno wouldn't offer her a scholarship? Why would that be?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom