Christyn Williams's Final 2: UConn and SC | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams's Final 2: UConn and SC

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
in this video at about the 3:15 mark she talks about staying in Australia or going to the U.S. for college, but she says "depends on whether I get offered a scholarship to the school in America I want to go to." My guess would be UCLA maybe.

Why?

And Geno wouldn't offer her a scholarship? Why would that be?
UCLA did make some sense because Ezi's fellow Aussie Chantel Horvat is a freshmen there. Chantel Horvat was briefly on UCONN recruiting radar. Don't think this is a question of UCONN wouldn't offer Ezi more that the circumstances have changed. Horvat didn't get a UCONN offer because UCONN had Lexi Gordon signed (or verbal) and Megan Walker was still undecided. Ezi likely did not get a UCONN offer because UCONN had Charli Collier verbal , ONO still undecided , and no indication that Ezi would actually want to come to the US. The circumstances have changed for both UCONN and Ezi to the point where I'm not sure the "right school" for her is UCLA anymore because Ezi has Olympic aspirations. Ezi come on down, or is it over, or is it up-just get to Storrs, CT!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UCLA did make some sense because Ezi's fellow Aussie Chantel Horvat is a freshmen there.

So that's it? Horvat chose UCLA so that mean's that's the school Ezi wants? Hmmm. Horvat chose UCLA for a few reasons (her father was quite enamored with UCLA) and I'm not sure any of them have anything to do with Ezi Magbegor. Who knows, though. Maybe UCLA is her dream school.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
UCLA did make some sense because Ezi's fellow Aussie Chantel Horvat is a freshmen there. Chantel Horvat was briefly on UCONN recruiting radar. Don't think this is a question of UCONN wouldn't offer Ezi more that the circumstances have changed. Horvat didn't get a UCONN offer because UCONN had Lexi Gordon signed (or verbal) and Megan Walker was still undecided. Ezi likely did not get a UCONN offer because UCONN had Charli Collier verbal , ONO still undecided , and no indication that Ezi would actually want to come to the US. The circumstances have changed for both UCONN and Ezi to the point where I'm not sure the "right school" for her is UCLA anymore because Ezi has Olympic aspirations. Ezi come on down, or is it over, or is it up-just get to Storrs, CT!
Something I think we may have overlooked. The fact that Horvat is at UCLA is well known. Does anyone here think that UCLA has not offered Ezi a scholarship already? I would think they have, and I think they may have offered before the World's. I think the most telling statement was "whether I get offered a scholarship to the school in America I want to go to." Could it be she actually doesn't want to play out there and would rather play at UConn?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Something I think we may have overlooked. The fact that Horvat is at UCLA is well known. Does anyone here think that UCLA has not offered Ezi a scholarship already? I would think they have, and I think they may have offered before the World's. I think the most telling statement was "whether I get offered a scholarship to the school in America I want to go to." Could it be she actually doesn't want to play out there and would rather play at UConn?
Maybe @wallman or other bruin fans might want to chime in but I remember reading (summer of 2016) on the Bruinonline from a handle bruindatedata (???) a complaint stating that UCLA was not interested in or did not offer Ezi.

Reaction Score
everybody is just spinning their wheels on the Ezi story...........we rarely know what UConn is doing on the recruiting front right here in the good old USA, never mind a far away continent..........it's an interesting idea that's worth exploring but the odds of her ending up at UConn seem somewhat unlikely to me........personally, I'm looking for an athletic 6'3"+ post in North America or even Europe who has a well known interest in playing in Storrs CT............

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
everybody is just spinning their wheels on the Ezi story

And you know this how? Has it ever occurred to you that some here might know a little bit more about UConn recruiting than you do?

Reaction Score
And you know this how? Has it ever occurred to you that some here might know a little bit more about UConn recruiting than you do?

undoubtedly true on the recruiting knowledge but I've read every article I could find on her and even had an email chat with an Australian newspaper reporter who responded to my question about the odds of her coming to UConn..........he said possible but not that likely..........you are allowed to have a differing opinion here.............right?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think her dream school is SF, no, Syracuse, no USC, or maybe Oregon. However, I think her choice is Uconn.

Reaction Score
I was curious to see exactly where Australian born WBB players are playing in the US this season.........too lazy to do an accurate count but more seem to stay on the West coast but not as many as I would have thought........

NCAA Women: 2017/18 Division I

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
undoubtedly true on the recruiting knowledge but I've read every article I could find on her and even had an email chat with an Australian newspaper reporter who responded to my question about the odds of her coming to UConn.....he said possible but not that likely.....you are allowed to have a differing opinion here...right?

Of course, then call it a contrary opinion.

There's a lot of (wrong-way) wheel-spinning on recruiting here but not much when it comes to Magbegor. No one has made any predictions. No 40% or 20% chances. For some of us it's just talk based on information we've heard. Most sensible people here have talked about the uncertainty that she'll even choose to play in the US. No more spinning-of-wheels than the other recruiting nonsense that's posted here.

Reaction Score
Of course, then call it a contrary opinion.

There's a lot of (wrong-way) wheel-spinning on recruiting here but not much when it comes to Magbegor. No one has made any predictions. No 40% or 20% chances. For some of us it's just talk based on information we've heard. Most sensible people here have talked about the uncertainty that she'll even choose to play in the US. No more spinning-of-wheels than the other recruiting nonsense that's posted here.

other then what Keil Moore said when made mention that UConn should consider recruiting her, I'm not aware of any other solid news on the Ezi front............if you know anything solid about her college plans I'd love to hear it...........you might not agree with it or enjoy it but there are more "Professional" opinions about some of the US based players that are clearly being recruited hard by UConn............when I say spinning our wheels I mean there is very limited information from which we can construct an educated opinion............this stuff is supposed to be fun...........you seem to get a bit defensive about what other's may think if it differs with your opinion.............

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
other then what Keil Moore said when made mention that UConn should consider recruiting her, I'm not aware of any other solid news on the Ezi front..if you know anything solid about her college plans I'd love to hear it......you might not agree with it or enjoy it but there are more "Professional" opinions about some of the US based players that are clearly being recruited hard by UConn..when I say spinning our wheels I mean there is very limited information from which we can construct an educated opinion..this stuff is supposed to be fun......you seem to get a bit defensive about what other's may think if it differs with your opinion...

Who said anything about the so-called "professional" opinions about US players? I surely haven't.

I'm not defensive at all. I've rarely if ever predicted which school a recruit will choose even when I might have some inside information. I've offered no such opinion on Magbegor, nor has anyone else. It's just a discussion. Again, my objection is to disparaging others for "spinning their wheels" on Magbegor when there's a ton of wheel-spinning on recruiting here every single day. There's an entire thread devoted to a kid who is now in the 9th grade!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was curious to see exactly where Australian born WBB players are playing in the US this season....too lazy to do an accurate count but more seem to stay on the West coast but not as many as I would have thought...

NCAA Women: 2017/18 Division I
There are 18 players on the list. Kristy Wallace plays for the most high-profile program on the list, Baylor. I don’t know all the players, but it seems that there aren’t any strong pro prospects. Ezi is different in that she has world-class potential. I have my fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
There are 18 players on the list. Kristy Wallace plays for the most high-profile program on the list, Baylor. I don’t know all the players, but it seems that there aren’t any strong pro prospects. Ezi is different in that she has world-class potential. I have my fingers crossed.

I just wanted to see if there was a preference for what geographic part of the country they tend to end up in.......

here's the list of elite Australian high school players

Aussie High School Prospects: Women

Reaction Score
Who said anything about the so-called "professional" opinions about US players? I surely haven't.

I'm not defensive at all. I've rarely if ever predicted which school a recruit will choose even when I might have some inside information. I've offered no such opinion on Magbegor, nor has anyone else. It's just a discussion. Again, my objection is to disparaging others for "spinning their wheels" on Magbegor when there's a ton of wheel-spinning on recruiting here every single day. There's an entire thread devoted to a kid who is now in the 9th grade!!

I didn't view spinning one's wheels as being disparaging, just frustrating because of the lack of good information on the recruit..........as I always say when I voice an opinion negative to UConn's chances............nothing would make me happier then to be 100% wrong as was the case with Megan Walker and hopefully again with Christyn Williams

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
other then what Keil Moore said when made mention that UConn should consider recruiting her, I'm not aware of any other solid news on the Ezi front..

The Adamec piece about UConn hoping to put together a visit for her during the season?

Keil Moore wasn't stating an opinion that UConn SHOULD recruit her. He said look for them to get involved with her, passing along info he had that he believed would happen and apparently has.

Reaction Score
The Adamec piece about UConn hoping to put together a visit for her during the season?

Keil Moore wasn't stating an opinion that UConn SHOULD recruit her. He said look for them to get involved with her, passing along info he had that he believed would happen and apparently has.

true enough.......we know that UConn is apparently interested in recruiting her but is there mutual interest?........she seems to be pretty noncommittal about even coming to America never mind what college she wants to attend, which I fully understand considering such a big step.........I'm putting it on the back burner..........if it happens, fantastic but I'd be out there (which I'm sure they are) looking for another viable option in the meantime

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
LOL, I posted that picture on Facebook after we beat them in football a week ago Saturday. The Fighting Creamsicles are pretty detestable, but nobody is as bad as that team in the SC Upstate.

I also have this version:

1917022_165462172350_7975_n.jpg
It’s ORANGE THAT YOU HATE! So does Syracuse also fall into the despised category as well? :rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
true enough..we know that UConn is apparently interested in recruiting her but is there mutual interest?...she seems to be pretty noncommittal about even coming to America never mind what college she wants to attend, which I fully understand considering such a big step....

Well, we don't know. To my knowledge she hasn't visited any schools yet so it doesn't appear UConn is behind anyone at the moment. Obviously she may decide to stay home, but the fact that she is thinking about the "right school" and that UConn is interested enough to set up a visit 10,000 miles away should be enough for us to have her on a watch list.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@Charliebball I find it hypocritical that you accuse the rest of us of “spinning our wheels” about Ezi and you are the one contacting newspapers in Australia about her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Is there mutual interest? Here's what Carl Adamec wrote:

UConn is hopeful of putting together an official visit for 18-year-old Australian Eziyoda Magbegorduring the season. A 6-foot-4 forward, she is in her first season playing for the Canberra Capitals of Australia's Women's National Basketball League.

This tells me there have been conversations about visiting. Is the interest sufficient to travel 10,000 miles for a visit? We don't know yet but UConn appears to be further along than others.

Reaction Score
@Charliebball I find it hypocritical that you accuse the rest of us of “spinning our wheels” about Ezi and you are the one contacting newspapers in Australia about her.

how is attempting to get concrete information from sources spinning one's wheels? Here's the dictionary definition "to use a lot of effort without achieving anything.............

Reaction Score
Well, we don't know. To my knowledge she hasn't visited any schools yet so it doesn't appear UConn is behind anyone at the moment. Obviously she may decide to stay home, but the fact that she is thinking about the "right school" and that UConn is interested enough to set up a visit 10,000 miles away should be enough for us to have her on a watch list.

agreed..........I will be thrilled if we find out that she's coming for a visit...........I'm just not putting on my daughter's Uggs just yet............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
how is attempting to get concrete information from sources spinning one's wheels? Here's the dictionary definition "to use a lot of effort without achieving anything...
I'm guessing that you didn't have to look up the dictionary definition of hypocritical.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
how is attempting to get concrete information from sources spinning one's wheels? Here's the dictionary definition "to use a lot of effort without achieving anything...

Then, by definition, every post and every discussion about a recruit or recruiting is spinning one's wheels because none of it ever achieves anything. That was the point I made earlier. Why single out the discussion about Magbegor when the same can be said about every post or discussion about recruiting?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom