OT: - Christmas gifts of the year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Christmas gifts of the year

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I got my sister and brother in law a "New Haven Pizza Crawl". Gift certs to 4 NH spots with menus and a scoring sheet attached.
This is a great idea. I will be stealing it for my sister’s 60th birthday present. So you did Modern, Sally’s, Pepe’s and BAR? $25 for each place? Did the scoring sheet just have an overall score, or did it have different criteria broken down, e.g., crust, sauce, specialty, etc.?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This is a great idea. I will be stealing it for my sister’s 60th birthday present. So you did Modern, Sally’s, Pepe’s and BAR? $25 for each place? Did the scoring sheet just have an overall score, or did it have different criteria broken down, e.g., crust, sauce, specialty, etc.?
One bite.You know the rules.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Maybe a new laptop. Windows 7 runs out next month with new updates and as much as I hate it might have to go to Windows 10. Does anyone else hate that type of change?

I work for a large company that makes laptops so no. Used Windows 7 to pull pictures from my mother in law's system yesterday. How did anyone stay on Win 7 once Win 10 was out? It's light years better. You should have no hesitation.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
One bite.You know the rules.
If you played by those rules, i.e., takeout and plain cheese, you’d be missing out on the best of what each place has to offer.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My problem has been, I buy myself anything I need. So do my mom and dad. So does my wife. So really, my daughter and sister are the only people who need to want anything. Anybody else have that problem?

Some of you in the hobby thread convinced my to try riding my vintage mountain bike, so I just bought myself some stuff yesterday. I guess I could have asked for them as gifts.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If you played by those rules, i.e., takeout and plain cheese, you’d be missing out on the best of what each place has to offer.
Referencing David Portnoy from Barstool.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Referencing David Portnoy from Barstool.
I understand. I know that Deepster is a fan, and so are my sister and brother-in-law; but I don’t think that’s the best way to experience these places.

Reaction Score

I did Sally's, BAR, Modern and Zuppardi's. My brother in law is a huge clam pizza fan so I wanted Zuppardi's in there. Overall taste, crust, sauce/toppings, appearance, ambience.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I did Sally's, BAR, Modern and Zuppardi's. My brother in law is a huge clam pizza fan so I wanted Zuppardi's in there. Overall taste, crust, sauce/toppings, appearance, ambience.
No qualms there. And you have to love a gift of a New Haven Pizza Crawl that does not include the one New Haven apizza place most people would consider the most legendary. That shows that you cared enough not to be swayed by public opinion.

Reaction Score
No qualms there. And you have to love a gift of a New Haven Pizza Crawl that does not include the one New Haven apizza place most people would consider the most legendary. That shows that you cared enough not to be swayed by public opinion.

They've been to Pepe's and Sally's so much, I felt I only wanted to include 1 of them and, Sally's scored higher recently with Portnoy and that's what gave them the nod.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I got my sister and brother in law a "New Haven Pizza Crawl". Gift certs to 4 NH spots with menus and a scoring sheet attached.

And then they can leak a 14 sec pr0n vid like portnoy this weekend and then cry “ illegal” and “ invasion of privacy” and sue for hogan money.

Reaction Score
I'm wearing shoes from 2006 and my car is from 2007. Shoes are fading fast, but car just keeps on keeping on :)
I just realized the other day my New Balance gym sneakers are from when I was still in college in 2002, same with the Patagonia book bag I use for the gym.

Reaction Score
My problem has been, I buy myself anything I need. So do my mom and dad. So does my wife. So really, my daughter and sister are the only people who need to want anything. Anybody else have that problem?

Some of you in the hobby thread convinced my to try riding my vintage mountain bike, so I just bought myself some stuff yesterday. I guess I could have asked for them as gifts.

My wife shops for everyone...I only have to shop for one. Grateful for that.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My wife shops for everyone...I only have to shop for one. Grateful for that.

that’s mostly me too. But I have nothing for Her yet.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
that’s mostly me too. But I have nothing for Her yet.
Same boat. Not sure what to get. I usually get her some kind of jewelry, but she has so much and now that's she's retired, she doesn't wear much anymore. I got her a really nice bracelet about 4 years ago that she has yet to wear. It's a little too fancy for everyday and we really don't go out a lot.

Anyhow, it's getting down to crunch time and I have no ideas.

Reaction Score
Same boat. Not sure what to get. I usually get her some kind of jewelry, but she has so much and now that's she's retired, she doesn't wear much anymore. I got her a really nice bracelet about 4 years ago that she has yet to wear. It's a little too fancy for everyday and we really don't go out a lot.

Just get her tons of chocolate, never met a woman who doesn't like chocolate. Get here a chocolate fountain or like a 50 lb. block of it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

mine has never been into jewelry. Maybe earrings but you can’t return those at some stores so I don’t buy them often. I’m thinking Rod Stewart tickets in Vegas but it’s really for both of us.

Reaction Score
My mom is 76. She asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I told her a cookbook of her dozen best recipes, many of which came over from Italy with my father's mother in the early 1900s.

That cookbook is worth more to me than anything that could have been bought at a store.
And it's something you can pass onto your children and, hopefully, just keep it going. Great thinking HB.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
This is frequently me, too.

This was my first inspiration this year, and it just so happens that Jagged Little Pill, which just started on Broadway and is getting rave reviews, seems to be the perfect play for the whole family (i.e., she and our three daughters will love it, which means it’s great for me, too). I got us five great seats for a Saturday night this summer when I know we all can go, and it’s a couple days from her birthday so I figure we’ll stay over in the city and make a night of it.

Obviously, this is not inexpensive.

But then I panicked and wondered whether it wasn’t enough of a present for her, so I also got her a ridiculous gift certificate to a really nice clothing and jewelry store in New Haven, and a few books I know she’ll like.

Now I just have to buy a bunch of crap to fill her stocking.
Ahhhh crap - the stocking. *eye twitch*

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
gas grilles. bought a few last week cuz the store had them on sale for only $60 each. that, and some tvs that they give away on the net for $80 - $100 bux. people seem to like larger boxes that are gift-wrapped.

Reaction Score
I work for a large company that makes laptops so no. Used Windows 7 to pull pictures from my mother in law's system yesterday. How did anyone stay on Win 7 once Win 10 was out? It's light years better. You should have no hesitation.
Corporate security issues.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom