OT: - Christmas gifts of the year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Christmas gifts of the year

Reaction Score
Growing up they had the metal shoe sizer you stood on and the shoe salesman would measure your foot length and width. Do they still do that anywhere?

Reaction Score
Growing up they had the metal shoe sizer you stood on and the shoe salesman would measure your foot length and width. Do they still do that anywhere?

Ah, the good ol' Brannock Device...

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The Windows 10 upgrade tool still works on the Microsoft website.

Supposedly they stopped the free upgrades, but if you use the upgrade tool, it still installs a free, legal version of Windows 10.
That is absolutely correct and what I was talking about. No one knows it.

Reaction Score
My mom is 76. She asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I told her a cookbook of her dozen best recipes, many of which came over from Italy with my father's mother in the early 1900s.

That cookbook is worth more to me than anything that could have been bought at a store.

Reaction Score
My mom is 76. She asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I told her a cookbook of her dozen best recipes, many of which came over from Italy with my father's mother in the early 1900s.

That cookbook is worth more to me than anything that could have been bought at a store.

Idea for you: take all those recipes, scan and upload to an album with family pictures and whatnot. I did that for my grandma a few years ago so she could get it in her ipad since some of the writing in her books was getting too small to read. She still thanks me for it when I see her

Reaction Score
Ah, the good ol' Brannock Device...

That's it. Guess they still have them.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

I've given this advice before on the Yard: Get all your favorite recipes from your parents, grandparents, etc. now - don't wait. When they are gone, that institutional knowledge is gone. I've got quite a few of my mothers best, particularly her chicken soup and spaghetti sauce, but there are countless times since she died that I've wanted to pick up the phone and ask her about something she used to make. Same thing with my dad - he would take my mom's leftover spaghetti sauce and make an awesome Pasta Fazool and I never got the recipe from him before he got Alzheimer's. It's lost forever and I'm not able to recreate it.

And on the same topic, ask as much as you can about their ancestry - for many, there comes a time when you want to know more and they are best source for the previous generation.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What are the specs of your current laptop? I can put you on a free win10 upgrade if your laptop is fairly spec’d ( and it probably is if under 8 years old.)
I thought that ship had sailed ?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That's not LEGO, but I'll throw you a like anyway because I want it. My sons got me Fenway Park (3,200+pieces) for Fathers' Day. It took my oldest and I a couple months only because we put it down for weeks at a time. He got the Titanic (1,800 pieces) as an early Christmas present from my sister last week and it took him about 4 days to complete it...He's 7.

Somethings cannot be replicated with LEGO bricks.
Sure it can, but the arena is the star. Not the roof.

??? I don't understand what you thought was angry about my post. "I have no real wishes for Christmas "? I did wish health for my family and friends in the next line.
"I've always felt cars were like shoes. You need to break them in and they get more comfortable with time. I always hated when it was time to get a new car and give up the old one."

...feels like a, "you-kids-with-your-new-fangled-contraptions," Grampa Simpson-type sentiment.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Sure it can, but the arena is the star. Not the roof.
blastphemer!.gif

CL82

Reaction Score
Ha, I say to you sir, ha. The sheer grandeur that is the crown on Pantoni's temple of basketball cannot be replicated by tiny plastic bricks. You, sir, are a philistine.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Ha, I say to you sir, ha. The sheer grandeur that is the crown on Pantoni's temple's basketball cannot be replicated by tiny plastic bricks. You, sir, are a philistine.
Then why do you want a LEGO knock off to even attempt a Patoni geodesic dome.

How about this?

1576509390060.png

CL82

Reaction Score
Then why do you want a LEGO knock off to even attempt a Patoni geodesic dome.

How about this?
You are missing the point, sir. Great works of art simply cannot be replicated with tiny plastic bricks! Why it would be as if someone were to try to replicate the Mona Lisa with LEGOS. It is laughable sir! It simply cannot be done!
1576509609866.png

Ah, well... carry on.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You are missing the point, sir. Great works of art simply cannot be replicated with tiny plastic bricks! Why it would be as if someone try to replicate the Mona Lisa with LEGOS. It is laughable sir! It simply cannot be done!
View attachment 49148

Ah, well... carry on.

you know that dude is beating off the chicks with a stick.

CL82

Reaction Score
you know that dude is beating off the chicks with a stick.
I'd imagine that "Hey you want to come back to my place and see the copy of the Mona Lisa that I made out of Legos? It's to scale!" isn't as effective a pick up line as he thought it would be.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You are missing the point, sir. Great works of art simply cannot be replicated with tiny plastic bricks!

That is very much THEE point.

**Tongue planted firmly in cheek**

If "...Great works of art simply cannot be replicated with tiny plastic bricks," then LEGO Master Builders cannot possibly be up to the task, let alone a LEGO knock off "Master Builders."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom