Christmas dinner menu? | The Boneyard

Christmas dinner menu?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
We've typically had 20+ people over on Christmas Eve, but COVID shut it down. This will be our first one in a few years. Offering up most of our typical items - started prepping a couple of days ago:

Home-cured gravlax with mustard dill sauce
Shrimp cocktail (brought by friends - I don't know exactly how they cook the shrimp, but they're fantastic)
Gumbo (made by a friend who was raised in New Orleans and is a huge foodie)
Lots of salad
My wife's family recipe Swedish meatballs
Roasted beets with horseradish sauce
Chipotle sweet potato gratin
Ham (yuck...but gotta have it, I guess)
Roasted brussels sprouts w balsamic and pancetta
And finally, Lasagna Bolognese

Lots of booze

Berries with fresh whipped cream
Flourless chocolate cake

For obvious reasons, not much cooking goes on on Christmas day. There are usually leftovers :)

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I'm doing the cooking. Beef tenderloin. Cooking it in a garlic herb butter and making a horseradish cream sauce for it. Potatoes au gratin, Brussel sprouts with bacon and raisins, yorkshire puddings. Haven't decided on dessert.

What are people making?
The tenderloin with horsey sauce cream sounds delicious.

Reaction Score
I cook a Polish Christmas Eve here but we buck the no meat piece and go with the standards.

Homemade smoked kielbasa
12 dozen farmers cheese and potato pierogi
Golabki (cabbage rolls with rice and ground pork)
Kapusta (sauerkraut with mushrooms)
A smoked ham
Fried halibut
Roasted potatoes
Potato pancakes

Seafood tower to start.
Homemade wisniowka (90 proof cherry cordial) liberally through the entire evening.

Reaction Score
I need to make appetizers for 12-14 and it can’t be pigs in a blanket, grilled shrimp, bruschetta, or anything from Arby’s.

Any and all thoughts appreciated

Reaction Score
I cook a Polish Christmas Eve here but we buck the no meat piece and go with the standards.

Homemade smoked kielbasa
A smoked ham
Fried halibut
Roasted potatoes
Potato pancakes

Seafood tower to start.
Homemade wisniowka (90 proof cherry cordial) liberally through the entire evening.
Looks good. Is this xmas eve or xmas day? The traditional no meat rule goes for Xmas eve.

Reaction Score

Homemade smoked kielbasa
A smoked ham
Fried halibut
Roasted potatoes
Potato pancakes

Seafood tower to start.
What do you put on your Placki/Platskis Deep? applesauce, sour cream or...
Golabki on top of the stove or in the oven?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm doing the cooking. Beef tenderloin. Cooking it in a garlic herb butter and making a horseradish cream sauce for it. Potatoes au gratin, Brussel sprouts with bacon and raisins, yorkshire puddings. Haven't decided on dessert.

What are people making?
Wife handles the holiday cooking, but I know it's beef tenderloin. Maybe brussels sprouts (and maybe with bacon, but eph the raisins). Haven't made or had a yorkshire pudding in years, and suddenly want some. So maybe I can talk her into that or just bang some out myself. Lots of wine.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Standing rib roast
Escolloped potatoes
Green bean casserole
Garlic knots
Holiday Swiss roll cake
Cherry pie a la mode

Pre-dinner appetizer - Lays chips and onion dip while binge watching the NBA games. I will be well into the Charles Krug Cabernet by dinner

Reaction Score

Homemade smoked kielbasa
A smoked ham
Fried halibut
Roasted potatoes
Potato pancakes

Seafood tower to start.
Smacznego

Reaction Score
As a Jewish husband to a wife who was brought up Catholic, I simply ask how I can help. Unfortunately, clearly my wife’s family didn’t celebrate Christmas as well as many of you did. The ham that will be served in my house is not nearly as appealing as the beef tenderloin with a horseradish/sour cream sauce that this thread started with.

Reaction Score
I'll be be grilling a turkey...will have mashed potatoes, wild rice with sausage, assorted veggies and crescent rolls, wine and beer.
We go to Maine for Thanksgiving every year, so never get any leftover turkey, so picking up that slack at Christmas. Plus, gives me an opportunity to hang out outdoors with the drinkers instead of trying to stay out of the way of those scurrying about for the right pans and silverware indoors

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom