Christmas dinner menu? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Christmas dinner menu?

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I prefer the Grinch rather than Santa. I’m cooking spiral hams, my world famous twice baked potatoes, and shrimp cocktails.

Reaction Score
How about this one? When my mom was a kid, her parents would buy live carp and keep them in the bathtub for a day before killing them and cooking them. LOL
Maybe back then they didn’t have a refrigerator like we have today- the old ice box maybe

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Christmas Eve is the main meal for my family (Sicilian). We have moved away from the traditional seven dishes, thank goodness I cannot stand scungilli salad or bacallà. There will be linguini with clam sauce and some sort of chicken dish, year to year it varies, as do the sides. Either way it will be a fantastic feast.

My wife's Portuguese family comes over on Christmas Day for another feast of prime rib roast with horseradish sauce, mashed potatoes, broccoli, rice, cod cakes (pastéis de bacalhau), and shrimp turnovers (rissóis de camarão) among other things.

Also copious amounts of homemade wine will be present at both meals.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
We do the semi-traditional Polish Christmas Eve, meatless dinner, then a meat lover's feast on Christmas Day.

Tonight (at our house)
Several different pierogi (cabbage, farmer's cheese, fried onion, etc)
Potato Pancakes
Baked Stuffed Shells
Cod
Salmon
Kapusta
Assorted vegetables
Desert is a variety of rolls -- poppy seed, nut, apricot, raspberry compote.

Tomorrow (at my daughter's house)
Shrimp cocktail
Onion Soup
A very large and expensive cut of beef done by my son-in-law, in the smoker. Always different. No idea what tomorrow's will be yet, other than delicious.
A ham. Also from the smoker.
French Fries
Mashed potatoes
Broccoli rabe and several other veggies
a few different casseroles, from simple (mac, cheese, crushed bacon and breadcrumbs) to exotic (don't ask me what's in there, I eat the mac & cheese)

Someone up above mentioned gumbo. I'm a gumbo-making freak, and will see to it that gets added to the menu next year.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Maybe back then they didn’t have a refrigerator like we have today- the old ice box maybe
I remember when a lot of old folks who had immigrated from Europe kept carp alive in clean water for several days before killing and cooking it. Their belief was that carp come from dirty, polluted environments, and a few days living in clean water would get all the filth out of their bodies and make them edible.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Wow, that was a lot of food. We opened a can of smoked oysters to hit 7 "fishes" - not my idea. The last stragglers left just before midnight.

Merry Christmas everyone!

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I remember when a lot of old folks who had immigrated from Europe kept carp alive in clean water for several days before killing and cooking it. Their belief was that carp come from dirty, polluted environments, and a few days living in clean water would get all the filth out of their bodies and make them edible.
Only when the bathtub wasn't being used to make gin, this is another example of Jewish/Eastern Europen and Italian traditions intersecting!

Reaction Score
In Queretaro Mexico. Had fish (cod) soup. Preparred by my friend's mother. It was excellent.... like basically all food in MX

Reaction Score
How about this one? When my mom was a kid, her parents would buy live carp and keep them in the bathtub for a day before killing them and cooking them. LOL
Only when the bathtub wasn't being used to make gin, this is another example of Jewish/Eastern Europen and Italian traditions intersecting!
lol… popped into my feed today:

Reaction Score
Prime rib, mashed potatoes, Brussels sprouts, chicken parm, meat balls, antipasto, tomato with mozzarella and balsalmic.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Ex-wife has or will make:
Standing rib roast
Mashed potatoes w/au jus gravy?
Bourbon balls

Here's what I'm about to cook:

Roasted mixed root vegetables (potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots), w/sweet peppers, acorn squash, apple, and pear
Baked delicata squash
Slow-roasted Campari tomatoes?

I think I have some Wave Hill bakery dinner rolls that I brought with me from CT to KY. If so, they'll get garlic butter.

Some of this includes me rummaging through my refrigerator to include some past-peak produce that will taste fine when cooked together in a roasting pan.

I think this will be the first time I turn on the oven in my new home.

I'm guessing Bourbon & wine from ex-wife's BF.

Reaction Score
Ex-wife has or will make:
Standing rib roast
Mashed potatoes w/au jus gravy?
Bourbon balls

Here's what I'm about to cook:

Roasted mixed root vegetables (potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots), w/sweet peppers, acorn squash, apple, and pear
Baked delicata squash
Slow-roasted Campari tomatoes?

I think I have some Wave Hill bakery dinner rolls that I brought with me from CT to KY. If so, they'll get garlic butter.

Some of this includes me rummaging through my refrigerator to include some past-peak produce that will taste fine when cooked together in a roasting pan.

I think this will be the first time I turn on the oven in my new home.

I'm guessing Bourbon & wine from ex-wife's BF.

My guy. Just come to my house next year. Ain't no reason to drive 1000 miles for a holiday with your ex and her new beau. We already have plenty of stragglers so it isn't weird for new folks to pop in.

Goes for everyone on here really as long as you aren't a friggen creep lol. Just send a DM.

We're in NC this year with my wife's family, but we dropped the "we aren't coming down here any more because you're all trash" bomb earlier today. Didn't go over so well lol. Most holidays are in CT.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
My guy. Just come to my house next year. Ain't no reason to drive 1000 miles for a holiday with your ex and her new beau. We already have plenty of stragglers so it isn't weird for new folks to pop in.
Much appreciated; however, my arrival during the first week of December pretty much completed my relocation from the Northeast to Louisville. My residence is around the corner (<150 steps) from granddaughter, daughter, and ex-wife. It's a new life taking shape, nothing I'd imagined a couple years, even beyond the realm of possibility not so long before that.

The toddler may not be quite ready to make a killer lobster roll, but my 4 hours with her while mommy volunteered serving meals to those on hard times or with very little was more active, engaged, fun, funny, creative, affectionate, etc. than any single day since she debuted 23 months ago.

Reaction Score
So how much gas u passing today?

1703601889761.png

Reaction Score
Tried something different with the prime rib after seasoning. Slow roasted with temp probe in at 128 at 250 degrees, about 4 hours, then rested 30 minutes. Then 8 minutes at 500 degrees just before cutting. It was restaurant results, pink all the way to the edge.

Reaction Score
Our tradition is tied to Christmas Eve Dinner. We like to have chips, dips and finger foods to snack on as we visit with family and then some fresh pastas (ravioli and tortellini) with red and pesto sauces. This year we made some Italian sausage meatballs to go with the pasta dishes.

Reaction Score
Tried something different with the prime rib after seasoning. Slow roasted with temp probe in at 128 at 250 degrees, about 4 hours, then rested 30 minutes. Then 8 minutes at 500 degrees just before cutting. It was restaurant results, pink all the way to the edge.

That's pretty much what I did. Cooked at 250 for and pulled them out at 115 degrees. Let them rest and then did 10 minutes at 550. Perfect.

Did two Omaha Steaks roasts (each were 4lb) - were amazing. And used the new Meater probes. Will never roast anything without them. They made the process so easy.

Reaction Score
That's pretty much what I did. Cooked at 250 for and pulled them out at 115 degrees. Let them rest and then did 10 minutes at 550. Perfect.

Did two Omaha Steaks roasts (each were 4lb) - were amazing. And used the new Meater probes. Will never roast anything without them. They made the process so easy.
Prime rib can be difficult when you have well done people. You cut their slices, hand it to them and say go ahead keep cooking it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom