Christain Vital Tweet | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Christain Vital Tweet

Reaction Score
CV rebounds well and when he is on can be a difference maker. We need depth at guard and he will most likely be a starter or great 6th man. I am glad if he is returning.

Reaction Score
Rashad is universally loved on here, as he should be, but I don't think anybody should mistake him for a great player. He wasn't very good at much except shooting threes, and elite at hitting big ones. Average handle, less than average athleticism, average D on his best day, average rebounder I guess, average motor, average passer at best. etc

And I love the guy lol
And significantly better than Christian.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And significantly better than Christian.

I should have caveated the "average handle etc" with "relative to his peers at the time". Because he was playing with far better dudes.

Reaction Score
I would be a little more positive if the tweet was not posted on April Fools day. Hope he does return next year. The experience and offense is needed.

Reaction Score
CV is key to next season. I don’t care how talented the new guards are supposed to be because CV is our top shooting guard, and he rebounds. Great news if he stays.
and has experience playing at this level

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
CV did take more three but pretty close. Through his first three years RA was 188 of 499 behind the arc (37.7%) and CV was 199 of 549 (36.2%).

On regular FG's through three years its RA 144 of of 324 (44.4%) vs 181 of 377 (48%) for CV.

On free throws its not close. CV who is always in the middle of things, gets to the line. Through 3 years its RA 144 of 182 for 79.1% vs 269 of 333 (80.8%) for CV.

They each played in 96 games in their first 3 years, but Shad played only about 70% of the minutes in his first 3 years that CV has played. (1967 to 2891)

Beyond the scoring numbers above, CV has averaged 4.9 boards to Shad's 2.5. Even adjusted by the minute differential, that's still a rebound more per game. He also averages about 2 assists (1.4 adjusted for minutes) compared to Shad's 0.85 and steals are 1.5 (1.1 adjusted) to 0.5.

On the negative side of the scale, CV does turn the ball over more than Shad did, at 1.8 TOs per game (1.25 adjusted), as compared to Anderson's 1.1.

The difference, of course, is that Shad compiled those numbers playing in more meaningful games against a higher caliber of competition. Barring a stupendous miracle next season, CV's never going to make the All Tourney team in the NCAA tourney. But Shad had the luxury of playing with some of the best players that UConn has ever put on the court, so defenses could not afford to put their best perimeter defender on him as they often do on CV.

Rashad Anderson, more than any other non-career-starter in our team's history except perhaps TRob (coin flip close) has become legendary in UConn BB lore. Christian Vital isn't thought of in the same light, despite his edge in stats. If we were winning the way we were 15 years or so back, it might be a different story. When Shad came in and fueled a UConn rally or hit a couple clutch threes to thwart an opponent's rally and steal the momentum, it really meant something. Can't say the same for CV. But with a little good fortune, the 19-20 season could mean more than the first three years of his Husky career.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Against good defensive teams who play man to man- CV has not been good. IMO

pj

Reaction Score
Rashad had a little more height to get his shot off, but overall I'd rather have CV. Rashad really benefited by the great talent around him. CV needs to develop a bit more, but he showed this year that he can improve when given proper coaching. I think CV would have done as well as Rashad on those past teams, and may give us a very good year next year. Wish he had a handle and better court vision, then he might even have a shot at the NBA.

Reaction Score
I'll make it very simple for many of you. If Rashad Anderson had been on this year's team, he would have been at worst our second best player. You can't compare stats on a Top Ten team playing that level schedule to stats at the level we've been on the past three years.

Here's the stat that mattered most: Rashad Anderson as an upperclassman pushed Rudy Gay and Denham Brown off the court so he could get playing time. Do you really think CV would have been doing that? CV struggled this year to keep a grad transfer from Duquesne off the court.

Reaction Score
I'll make it very simple for many of you. If Rashad Anderson had been on this year's team, he would have been at worst our second best player. You can't compare stats on a Top Ten team playing that level schedule to stats at the level we've been on the past three years.

Here's the stat that mattered most: Rashad Anderson as an upperclassman pushed Rudy Gay and Denham Brown off the court so he could get playing time. Do you really think CV would have been doing that? CV struggled this year to keep a grad transfer from Duquesne off the court.
Totally agree. Rashad was doing it against Villanova, Pitt, Syracuse, etc...in the best conference in the country and that's not even including the NCAA and Big East tourney games on the biggest stage. CV has been playing against Tulane, East Carolina and Tulsa. A couple thousand fans with rib sauce on their face and a book in their hand.

Reaction Score
Rashad had a little more height to get his shot off, but overall I'd rather have CV. Rashad really benefited by the great talent around him. CV needs to develop a bit more, but he showed this year that he can improve when given proper coaching. I think CV would have done as well as Rashad on those past teams, and may give us a very good year next year. Wish he had a handle and better court vision, then he might even have a shot at the NBA.
Bwhahahahahaha. This board has really been amazing the past few days!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They each played in 96 games in their first 3 years, but Shad played about 70% of the minutes in his first 3 years that CV has played. (1967 to 2891)

Beyond the scoring numbers above, CV has averaged 4.9 boards to Shad's 2.5. Even adjusted by the minute differential, that's still a rebound more per game. He also averages about 2 assists (1.4 adjusted for minutes) compared to Shad's 0.85 and steals are 1.5 (1.1 adjusted) to 0.5.

On the negative side of the scale, CV does turn the ball over more than Shad did, at 1.8 TOs per game (1.25 adjusted), as compared to Anderson's 1.1.

The difference, of course, is that Shad compiled those numbers playing in more meaningful games against a higher caliber of competition. Barring a stupendous miracle next season, CV's never going to make the All Tourney team in the NCAA tourney. But Shad had the luxury of playing with some of the best players that UConn has ever put on the court, so defenses could not afford to put their best perimeter defender on him as they often do on CV.

Rashad Anderson, more than any other non-career-starter in our team's history except perhaps TRob (coin flip close) has become legendary in UConn BB lore. Christian Vital isn't thought of in the same light, despite his edge in stats. If we were winning the way we were 15 years or so back, it might be a different story. When Shad came in and fueled a UConn rally or hit a couple clutch threes to thwart an opponent's rally and steal the momentum, it really meant something. Can't say the same for CV. But with a little good fortune, the 19-20 season could mean more than the first three years of his Husky career.

When Al went down, and then Jalen went down, CV disappeared. When he was drawing defenders that formerly would have taken the #1 and #2 guards, they shut him down pretty effectively.

I would be happy to have him back, but I hope we all recognize that, like Anderson, he doesn't create his own offense. He can score off of passes from other players, who draw the defense away from him. He's an effective shooter when catching the ball and squaring up. He is not an effective shooter off the dribble.

I've said it before, he isn't a shooting guard as a pro, in Europe or elsewhere. He has to improve his ball handling and passing. We need some depth there, and I see CV trying to fill a role like Smith had last year, with better outside shooting. I would be surprised if Christian and Hurley haven't set that as his off-season focus.

Reaction Score
You know, these this-guy vs. that-guy arguments are difficult because support of one guy somehow is always viewed as attacking the other guy. Not really necessary.

CV and RA are/were both players with significant limitations.
CV, pending next year, played through the most difficult 3 years of our program's history.
RA played through what was arguably our best 4 years, which included a NC and a 2006 team that was among the most stacked team we ever courted.
CV played for KO, and got little or no coaching, development, or guidance - some of the worst DI coaching. This year, under Hurley, he has shown dramatic improvement. FG% up 7%, 3PT up 9% at 41%, up .7 assists, with same minutes.
RA played for JC and got the best coaching available - it's safe to say that he maxed out his potential at UConn.

RA hit multiple huge shots at huge times, which directly led to our national championship, among other things. For that, he will always be royalty. And it is exactly those shots that distinguish him.

I don't buy that "RA played against tougher competition." Sure he did, but he also played with how many? 8 future NBA players? Gordon, Oak, CV(1), Boone, Armstrong, Marcus, Gay? Lot easier to score when the other team has to worry about Ben Freaking Gordon to your left.

Also, CV had the duties of having to play point, which is not his natural position, and also carry the team at times with AG hurt and JA having no-show games. Anderson was never in that position.

I guess the brief way of saying all of that is that RA got the fruits of the heart of UConn's glory, whereas CV(2) got the detritus of our lowest time. Comparison of the two is inherently unfair.

If you look at the two players and say, "which is better?" and you continue CV(2)'s trajectory at UConn through next year, the answer, statistically, is simple - CV(2) is a significantly better player IF you don't consider the "dagger" factor.

If you were building a championship team and you were looking for a 6th man, like in 2006, you take RA. If you were slugging along through the swamp of our nadir years, you take CV.

Not sure CV could have hit the shots RA did if you put him in that spot - he's got the moxy and the shot and the Seniors, but that dagger thing is rare.

Pretty sure that if you put RA in CV's place his numbers would have been a lot worse than what he did in the 04-06 era, and he wouldn't have made any lore books.

Reaction Score
You know, these this-guy vs. that-guy arguments are difficult because support of one guy somehow is always viewed as attacking the other guy. Not really necessary.

CV and RA are/were both players with significant limitations.
CV, pending next year, played through the most difficult 3 years of our program's history.
RA played through what was arguably our best 4 years, which included a NC and a 2006 team that was among the most stacked team we ever courted.
CV played for KO, and got little or no coaching, development, or guidance - some of the worst DI coaching. This year, under Hurley, he has shown dramatic improvement. FG% up 7%, 3PT up 9% at 41%, up .7 assists, with same minutes.
RA played for JC and got the best coaching available - it's safe to say that he maxed out his potential at UConn.

RA hit multiple huge shots at huge times, which directly led to our national championship, among other things. For that, he will always be royalty. And it is exactly those shots that distinguish him.

I don't buy that "RA played against tougher competition." Sure he did, but he also played with how many? 8 future NBA players? Gordon, Oak, CV(1), Boone, Armstrong, Marcus, Gay? Lot easier to score when the other team has to worry about Ben Freaking Gordon to your left.

Also, CV had the duties of having to play point, which is not his natural position, and also carry the team at times with AG hurt and JA having no-show games. Anderson was never in that position.

I guess the brief way of saying all of that is that RA got the fruits of the heart of UConn's glory, whereas CV(2) got the detritus of our lowest time. Comparison of the two is inherently unfair.

If you look at the two players and say, "which is better?" and you continue CV(2)'s trajectory at UConn through next year, the answer, statistically, is simple - CV(2) is a significantly better player IF you don't consider the "dagger" factor.

If you were building a championship team and you were looking for a 6th man, like in 2006, you take RA. If you were slugging along through the swamp of our nadir years, you take CV.

Not sure CV could have hit the shots RA did if you put him in that spot - he's got the moxy and the shot and the Seniors, but that dagger thing is rare.

Pretty sure that if you put RA in CV's place his numbers would have been a lot worse than what he did in the 04-06 era, and he wouldn't have made any lore books.
You always take Rashad, this isn't even a question. We've been a horrendous team and needed stats from somewhere, Vital has given us some stats. Rashad was the #24 recruit in the nation. Vital is a nice kid and plays hard but he never would have played on those UConn teams.

This board is getting really silly.

Reaction Score
You always take Rashad, this isn't even a question. We've been a horrendous team and needed stats from somewhere, Vital has given us some stats. Rashad was the #24 recruit in the nation. Vital is a nice kid and plays hard but he never would have played on those UConn teams. This board is getting really silly.
Do you view all people who disagree with you as silly? Or just the ones here?
Rashad was, basically, a one-trick pony. He was masterful at that one trick. And it worked exactly when we needed it to. But Rashad had serious deficiencies in his game that were covered up by the fact that he played with wall to wall studs.

But Rashad is a hero (mine too!), and it's impossible to get "non-silly" people to objectively assess their heroes! Enjoy!

Reaction Score
Rashad got into a bit of trouble back in the day. He wore a mask and had a plastic knife covered in fake blood and popped out of the bushes at people walking by near Hilltop I think. I remember his nickname was knifeman for a bit after that. A few friends and I wore scream masks to camp out for seats that year
We need more of that character trait in our recruits.
Anyway hope CV is coming back. He could have a big year next year

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you view all people who disagree with you as silly? Or just the ones here?
Rashad was, basically, a one-trick pony. He was masterful at that one trick. And it worked exactly when we needed it to. But Rashad had serious deficiencies in his game that were covered up by the fact that he played with wall to wall studs.

But Rashad is a hero (mine too!), and it's impossible to get "non-silly" people to objectively assess their heroes! Enjoy!
We currently have threads saying coach K isn't a good coach, Zion isn't a good basketball player, and Vital is as good as Rashad.

It's a dumb comparison, Vital isn't good enough to play on those teams. Rashad was a starter and played the role of knock down shooter, championship winning teams often have guys who fill roles and are great at those roles. Vital is a jack of all trades player for the worst stretch at UConn in 35 years. He plays hard but he was never meant to start at a program like UConn and it shows how far we've fallen.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
We currently have threads saying coach K isn't a good coach, Zion isn't a good basketball player, and Vital is as good as Rashad.

It's a dumb comparison, Vital isn't good enough to play on those teams. Rashad was a started and played the role of knock down shooter, championship winning teams often have guys who fill roles and are great at those roles. Vital is a jack of all trades player for the worst stretch at UConn in 35 years. He plays hard but he was never meant to start at a program like UConn and it shows how far we've fallen.

You've been here a while was it always like this? The threads right now are the hottest of takes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom