Chiney's classy comment... | The Boneyard

Chiney's classy comment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Although I wasn't too fond of Chiney's wwf takedown move on Stewie, I though this comment from her was pretty classy:
"I don't think I've experienced anything like this," Ogwumike said. "That Connecticut team we played for 40 minutes is the standard. And the great thing is now we've experienced the standard."

Reaction Score
With 445 views and no comments, I'd have to venture a guess that there's no love in the house for Chiney today ;)

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
OK, I'll like it; it was a classy comment. I feel like I should since I was the one with the clothes line comment. I've always felt that the continuing good will between her and Auriemma must reflect well on Ogwumike. I thought Dailey's comments were over the top, or cranky as I described it. I don't think the three incidents of forearm takedowns above the chest that I observed had dangerous intent, just that officials should "manage" that particular technique of hers.

Reaction Score
Completely agree with the officials having the responsibility for 'technique management', digger. Do you think the arm hooking she used to take Stewie down was a move she was taught or did they just get their arms tied up and CO happened to be the stronger of the two? I don't have the game recorded so I can't review it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Completely agree with the officials having the responsibility for 'technique management', digger. Do you think the arm hooking she used to take Stewie down was a move she was taught or did they just get their arms tied up and CO happened to be the stronger of the two? I don't have the game recorded so I can't review it.
Ogwumike held Stewie quite a bit. I called it a couple of offensive plays before the takedown. However, having said that, yes, it's the officials' responsibility to put an end to it. I don't blame Ogwumike for holding Stewie or for continuing when the refs let it go.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Not feeling very warm and fuzzy about Chiney today. She had the opportunity to play for and with 'the standard' and she chose differently. Her choice. Enjoy looking up.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

I think Ogwumike is a very intense, driven player. I think all her "techniques" are driven by a supreme competitive will that affects subconscious action. Having said that, it's up to the officials to make sure some subconscious activity be converted to conscious activity. By the way, the takedowns I'm referring to did not result from arms being tied up. Two of them did involve Stewart, who I admit needs to be a little more sturdy on her feet.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Before somebody gets hurt it must stop. The MD and Penn St games were out of hand with UConn players being knocked to the court. Breanna hit the deck a couple of times and the foul on Faris going in for a layup when the defender was behind her is not a no call. Somebody is going to get tired of getting thrown on the court and is going to knock somebody to the floor and they will get hurt then it will stop. Stop it before it happens. Unintentional is one thing when arms get locked up. Blow the whistle untangle the players if you must but we must stop this before somebody gets hurt.

Reaction Score
Both Ogwumike sisters are classy young women! There should be no doubt about that.

Reaction Score
Giving too much dispensation to O sister and the coaching crew at Trees. Seen plenty of this type of play by opponents going way back to even before DT was elbowed and thugged up by opponents.
Let me ask you this, if one of the Rugrats had done this to Stewie, like say Kiah Vaughn, would the threads be so "let the refs control the game, but she is so classy". What was the reaction to the takedown of Maya when she was a freshman.
Just 'cause you go to an exclusive school and you know how to talk nice, doesn't make you nice. You are what you do, played like a Rugrat, you are a Rugrat, just at the Jewel of the West rather than the Jewel of the East.
Didn't hear any "we don't coach that" from Tara or her two twins; at least she knew enough to cut the whinney "Uconn plays so physical crap".
Expect ND to pull the same stuff Saturday, see how the board gives them dispensation like to the O sister. Other teams see what refs let them get away with and if coach doesn't have control of their team and encourages this type of play, watch for someone getting hurt.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Both Ogwumike sisters are classy young women! There should be no doubt about that.

I'll agree with that...both also have something in common... Neither one of them have won a national championship and neither of them is likely to either playing for the Cardinal, so could we get one of the Ogwumike sisters to consider a college degree from UConn.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In Geno's hands Chiney would have been a Tina Charles like beast with even more athleticism than Tina.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Giving too much dispensation to O sister and the coaching crew at Trees. Seen plenty of this type of play by opponents going way back to even before DT was elbowed and thugged up by opponents.
Let me ask you this, if one of the Rugrats had done this to Stewie, like say Kiah Vaughn, would the threads be so "let the refs control the game, but she is so classy". What was the reaction to the takedown of Maya when she was a freshman.
Just 'cause you go to an exclusive school and you know how to talk nice, doesn't make you nice. You are what you do, played like a Rugrat, you are a Rugrat, just at the Jewel of the West rather than the Jewel of the East.
Didn't hear any "we don't coach that" from Tara or her two twins; at least she knew enough to cut the whinney "Uconn plays so physical crap".
Expect ND to pull the same stuff Saturday, see how the board gives them dispensation like to the O sister. Other teams see what refs let them get away with and if coach doesn't have control of their team and encourages this type of play, watch for someone getting hurt.

I useta think complaining was for those that lost!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn is a very physical team. The Huskies were getting their shots in, too.

Reaction Score
When an AA like Chiney or Diggins plays dirty, then they are "intense", they are "competitive", it is the refs fault, etc...
In my book, dirty is dirty and if you keep testing the refs to see how dirty you can play, then you are dirtier. Eventually someone gets hurt because you are too "intense" and when the refs make the calls, they are disrupting the flow of the game.
From now on, teams saw what Maryland and Penn State did to stay close, and they saw how Stanford got blow out because they were not as "intense", our Huskies' better take some lessons from the Hokey team.

Reaction Score
I think Ogwumike is a very intense, driven player. I think all her "techniques" are driven by a supreme competitive will that affects subconscious action. Having said that, it's up to the officials to make sure some subconscious activity be converted to conscious activity. By the way, the takedowns I'm referring to did not result from arms being tied up. Two of them did involve Stewart, who I admit needs to be a little more sturdy on her feet.
Your comments sound very much like "enabling" and when you rationalize someone's behaviour and justify them, you aren't doing anyone any favors. Duggins to me is a someone who gets away with a lot on the court because she plays with intensity and has an awful lot of talent and is wholesome looking and I think it sucks because it has no place in athletics. There shouldn't be anyone who is allowed to play that type of game without getting called on it. There aren't too many players that have ever played the game harder than Kelly Faris and I don't see her doing any of the stuff that either Duggins does or Chiney did yesterday. You can play hard and play clean and no one or nothing should justify playing any other way.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Did none of you people watch Asjha Jones clear out the entire post with her physical play? How about Tina? Need I mention Bam-Bam Hansmeyer? And Stef isn't exactly a shrinking violet, either. We love Our Girls when they're physical but we call players on other teams punks and dirty. That is a double-standard.

Reaction Score
In Geno's hands Chiney would have been a Tina Charles like beast with even more athleticism than Tina.

that's just bull. Did you see Nneka her frosh year and she how developed over four years? Same for Chiney her frosh year to now. Look her up stats year to year. Chiney has no help in the post. She is NOT a center. She is 6'3'' power forward.

Reaction Score
Did none of you people watch Asjha Jones clear out the entire post with her physical play? How about Tina? Need I mention Bam-Bam Hansmeyer? And Stef isn't exactly a shrinking violet, either. We love Our Girls when they're physical but we call players on other teams punks and dirty. That is a double-standard.

agree.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
that's just bull. Did you see Nneka her frosh year and she how developed over four years? Same for Chiney her frosh year to now. Look her up stats year to year. Chiney has no help in the post. She is NOT a center. She is 6'3'' power forward.

It is not bull and I didn't say anything about limiting Chiney to center which she has been this year without another option for Stanford nor did I say that she hadn't developed. I am strictly speaking of him developing her more than she is at the moment.

He would never let her go this far into her career without pushing her hard to develop a stronger left. Stef overplayed Chiney all day and Chiney had no counter move. She needs one. What Chiney already has in spades over Tina is the will to assert herself constantly. Tina, too, could have benefitted from playing at the power forward instead of in the 5. Geno continually harassed Tina for being too nice. So your welcome to disagree, but I see a lot of reasons to think that opinion would be wrong. I see a lot of similarities between Tina and Chiney physically, both are 6'3-4" and very lean and muscular and with great potential for similar development.

Stop being so defensive.

Reaction Score
It is not bull and I didn't say anything about limiting Chiney to center which she has been this year without another option for Stanford nor did I say that she hadn't developed. I am strictly speaking of him developing her more than she is at the moment.

He would never let her go this far into her career without pushing her hard to develop a stronger left. Stef overplayed Chiney all day and Chiney had no counter move. She needs one. What Chiney already has in spades over Tina is the will to assert herself constantly. Tina, too, could have benefitted from playing at the power forward instead of in the 5. Geno continually harassed Tina for being too nice. So your welcome to disagree, but I see a lot of reasons to think that opinion would be wrong. I see a lot of similarities between Tina and Chiney physically, both are 6'3-4" and very lean and muscular and with great potential for similar development.

Stop being so defensive.

It is bull. You expect me not to be defensive, and have the nerve to tell me to stop it stop it after put down Tara and Stanford for not developing Chiney more at this point. That's hogwash. Go back and see the number of great posts and forwards Stanford has developed over the years.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is bull. You expect me not to be defensive, and have the nerve to tell me to stop it stop it after put down Tara and Stanford for not developing Chiney more at this point. That's hogwash. Go back and see the number of great posts and forwards Stanford has developed over the years.
I did not mention Tara. I think she is an excellent coach. Probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite in WCBB along with Muffet. Do I think Chiney would be a different player playing for Geno; absolutely. Does that mean Tara has done a poor job; not in the least. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I did not mention Tara. I think she is an excellent coach. Probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite in WCBB along with Muffet. Do I think Chiney would be a different player playing for Geno; absolutely. Does that mean Tara has done a poor job; not in the least. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

But who is to say that Geno would have been able to make her into a better player? One could say that Geno couldn't develop Charde Houston. She seems to be doing much more as a pro than as a collegiate player.

I understand what you are trying to say - but it just doesn't come off that way, hence the defensive answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom