Chief has been lenient on Travis | The Boneyard

Chief has been lenient on Travis

C

Chief00

I have basically given Travis (Strength and Conditioning Coach) a pass this year not because he deserves it but I was hoping he was getting some close adult supervision and his girls gymnastic approaches, as applied to MBB, has been so widely discredited by now - what's the point of arguing - after your argument has been won?

While he has never been known for building up bodies or power strength, his defenders pointed to how his flexibility and conditioning academic theories help prevent injuries and improve stamina.

While I won't blame him for any specific injuries - it is fair to say we haven't avoided injuries this season and had a historic amount of major injuries of all types.

While guys have played a lot of minutes this year, other years I have seen guys play lots of minutes and not looked so tired throughout the game.

Enough is enough - time to make a change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
While guys have played a lot of minutes this year, other years I have seen guys play lots of minutes and not looked so tired throughout the game.

It's hard for me to agree with Chief, but I have to admit this is a pertinent point... We have two guys that are averaging 36+ minutes a game so it's understandable that they may be a bit gassed, but why are the guys playing 25-30 looking so tired as well? And on the first point, 'Cuse has two guys playing 36+mpg and they do not look nearly as tired as Purvis and Jalen.

Reaction Score
It's hard for me to agree with Chief, but I have to admit this is a pertinent point... We have two guys that are averaging 36+ minutes a game so it's understandable that they may be a bit gassed, but why are the guys playing 25-30 looking so tired as well? And on the first point, 'Cuse has two guys playing 36+mpg and they do not look nearly as tired as Purvis and Jalen.

Syracuse has historically played a short bench and can do that because they play zone 100 percent of the time.

Reaction Score
Syracuse has historically played a short bench and can do that because they play zone 100 percent of the time.

Very good point... I still think there is some validity to Chief's thoughts though. St. Bonaventure has two guys playing 37+ a game (including their own JA) and they are (at least from the stats) very, very effective in high usage. I'm sure there are many other examples of teams who only played 7 or so who seemed to be better conditioned.

pj

Reaction Score
Christian how dare you get a concussion I mean Travis where were you?

Travis, more emphasis on the brain stiffening exercises, stat!

But seriously, I think the injuries do suggest that something may well be wrong, though not necessarily with the strength and conditioning program -- it's more likely to be nutrition. Except for the concussions, the injuries (sprained ankle, ACL, labrum, dislocated finger, stress reaction in foot) all indicate fragile connective tissue, and the components of connective tissue (extracellular matrix) are the most common nutritional deficiencies in America today. It comes from not eating natural whole foods, and then not making soups and stews that cook animal connective tissue and make it digestible. Junk food has none of the nutrients for connective tissue. Supplementing glycine, taurine, and vitamin C would be a good start toward a lowered injury risk. You'd also get a better return on strength and conditioning because these nutrients are also key to muscle growth.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I spoke with Travis recently and he was quite appreciative of Cheif's leniency. If not for that he would already be collecting unemployment checks.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Kemba and Bazz played lots of minutes

Wow, why don't we stock our rosters with Kemba and Bazz-type players? What has Ollie been thinking all these years?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Don't forget, guys. If we implemented the Chief00 Strength Plan, our players would be strong enough to remain in the game if they became concussed, no matter how severe the injury was.

C

Chief00

I spoke with Travis recently and he was quite appreciative of Cheif's leniency. If not for that he would already be collecting unemployment checks.

Don't want to take credit for that. The results speak for themselves.

C

Chief00

Don't forget, guys. If we implemented the Chief00 Strength Plan, our players would be strong enough to remain in the game if they became concussed, no matter how severe the injury was.

Stairmaster - Just another thing we can add to the list of you being on the wrong side of history. Travis just didn't get it done.

Reaction Score
Facey has had an unbelievable physical transformation.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Stairmaster - Just another thing we can add to the list of you being on the wrong side of history. Travis just didn't get it done.

Do me a favor - next time you're creeping around the players and their families, go up to Christian Vital's mother and tell her you think her son should keep playing even if he hasn't passed the concussion protocol. In fact, take a video of it and post it her so we see the reaction.

C

Chief00

Facey has had an unbelievable physical transformation.
I think, a little exaggeration here. But, Facey finally displayed some physical improvement over an off season. I would like to think in part some of that is due to my criticism over recent years of Travis's approach. The sad part is this improvement should have happened three years ago and compounded each summer. Imagine the player he would be today?

C

Chief00

Do me a favor - next time you're creeping around the players and their families, go up to Christian Vital's mother and tell her you think her son should keep playing even if he hasn't passed the concussion protocol. In fact, take a video of it and post it her so we see the reaction.
Enough of your tired self righteous moralizing. The truth is we don't even know if Vital had a concussion. I am not criticizing being conservative but let's not overreach so much.
While I can cite plenty of examples in football and boxing - please give me five examples before the new concussion protocol -where someone playing led to permanent head damage? Show me the lawsuits as we have seen with football? If you review science, the evidence is just not there for basketball. You just don't get the repeat high impact head trauma.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Enough of your tired self righteous moralizing. The truth is we don't even know if Vital had a concussion. I am not criticizing being conservative but let's not overreach so much.
While I can cite plenty of examples in football and boxing - please give me five examples before the new concussion protocol -where someone playing led to permanent head damage? Show me the lawsuits as we have seen with football? If you review science, the evidence is just not there for basketball. You just don't get the repeat high impact head trauma.

Take the video and show us. Come on. Aren't you constantly around the players and their families?

C

Chief00

Take the video and show us. Come on. Aren't you constantly around the players and their families?

So you can't give me an example of a basketball player who played before the new protocols, that had suffered life long brain damage. This is proof the sports are indeed different as anyone who's played more than one can tell you.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
You're wrong here Chief. There is a thing called second impact syndrome you ought to familiarize yourself with. There's a matter of concussion symptoms that, strangely, get a lot worse in places with loud noises, bright lights, and with exercise. You know, like in a basketball arena during a game.

Reaction Score
So you can't give me an example of a basketball player who played before the new protocols, that had suffered life long brain damage. This is proof the sports are indeed different as anyone who's played more than one can tell you.

So because we cannot think of an example, we should let Vital potentially be that example? C'mon man. So let's send Vital out with a concussion that is not entirely cleared. He mixes it up underneath, as he does b/c he rocks, and he takes an elbow. Because as you know from playing basketball, happens fairly frequency. And boom, potential life-altering situation. Are you for real in this assessment? I always believed you were doing a shtick and I honestly find it entertaining. But even Chap broke character when got real. Can't you?

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Who do I like better, Travis the strength coach or Glen Miller. Tough call, they're tied for my favorite person associated with UConn basketball

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I've long thought UConn's training staff was MIA in terms of the basketball program. But that doesn't seem to be the case now - our players appear to have shoulders again.

And if you have not run 30 miles while carrying at least one cell phone, you're not qualified to talk conditioning on this board.

C

Chief00

I've long thought UConn's training staff was MIA in terms of the basketball program. But that doesn't seem to be the case now - our players appear to have shoulders again.

And if you have not run 30 miles while carrying at least one cell phone, you're not qualified to talk conditioning on this board.
LOL - I have not run 30 miles ever with or without a cell phone.
I think Facey is now the player he could have been as a Sophmore. Overall, we always look tired even early in the game. Sorry, that's my assessment.

C

Chief00

Who do I like better, Travis the strength coach or Glen Miller. Tough call, they're tied for my favorite person associated with UConn basketball

You then must love our record this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom