Chief has been lenient on Travis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief has been lenient on Travis

C

Chief00

You're wrong here Chief. There is a thing called second impact syndrome you ought to familiarize yourself with. There's a matter of concussion symptoms that, strangely, get a lot worse in places with loud noises, bright lights, and with exercise. You know, like in a basketball arena during a game.
I already covered that and how it's not applicable to Vital.

C

Chief00

Facey has had an unbelievable physical transformation.
Let's analyze that for a minute - why does it take Year 4 in a program to suddenly have something that is generously called a transformation? I would call it the type of progress you would expect to see each year.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
No assist at all, you're off base there too. Sorry, I do this for a living, and have for 25 years. Worked with a professional team in my fellowship and for a dozen years with a div. 2 football/div 1 hockey program, and now am team doc for four local HS programs.

Reaction Score

Let me help, Chief... I've bolded some parts that you may want to read.

Second impact syndrome occurs when an athlete returns to sport too early after suffering from an initial concussion. The athlete does not need to receive a strong second blow to the head to set the effects in motion. The athlete may receive only a minor blow to the head or a hit to the chest or back that snaps the head enough to have the brain rebound inside the skull.

Because the brain is more vulnerable and susceptible to injury after an initial brain injury, it only takes a minimal force to cause irreversible damage. The brain’s ability to self-regulate the amount of blood volume to the brain is damaged resulting in increased cerebral blood volume which can result in brainstem herniation and death.

The pressure to the brain increases rapidly causing brain death in as little as three to five minutes. Because brain death is so rapid, second impact syndrome has a high fatality rate in young athletes. (sportsmd.com)

...even the mildest grade of concussion can lead to SIS. (Clinics in Sports Medicine via Wikipedia)

Reaction Score
No assist at all, you're off base there too. Sorry, I do this for a living, and have for 25 years. Worked with a professional team in my fellowship and for a dozen years with a div. 2 football/div 1 hockey program, and now am team doc for four local HS programs.

But Chief pretends to be a basketball expert in an online forum... We know who has the true expertise here, Doc...

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
By the way, once his SCAT indicates a concussion, there's very little leeway in progressing back to game play. The training staff would be out on a thin limb if they don't follow protocol.

Reaction Score
Waiting for the inevitable pivot and spin until...

spin2.gif

Reaction Score

You typed a bunch of gibberish and then said "I'm right."

You do realize that there are other people reading this nonsense you post and you're not just in your dark apartment yelling into the mirror? When you say moronic things that are demonstrably incorrect you don't just say "I'm right" and that's the end of it.

The fact that you think your "criticism" of the program has any impact on anything besides providing grounds for people on a message board to make fun of you is incredibly sad.

C

Chief00

You typed a bunch of gibberish and then said "I'm right."

You do realize that there are other people reading this nonsense you post and you're not just in your dark apartment yelling into the mirror? When you say moronic things that are demonstrably incorrect you don't just say "I'm right" and that's the end of it.

The fact that you think your "criticism" of the program has any impact on anything besides providing grounds for people on a message board to make fun of you is incredibly sad.

I did cover it and very thoroughly - still waiting for Stairmaster to produce 5 guys with permanent head trauma from basketball - prior to the new protocols. So far he's come up with zero. I said it was very low risk - maybe I need to reconsider and lower that risk. Millions play the game.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Holy crap why are people even bothering to respond to this maniac?

I admit, I do it often because I can't help it, but at this point it's ridiculous.

C

Chief00

Let me help, Chief... I've bolded some parts that you may want to read.

Second impact syndrome occurs when an athlete returns to sport too early after suffering from an initial concussion. The athlete does not need to receive a strong second blow to the head to set the effects in motion. The athlete may receive only a minor blow to the head or a hit to the chest or back that snaps the head enough to have the brain rebound inside the skull.

Because the brain is more vulnerable and susceptible to injury after an initial brain injury, it only takes a minimal force to cause irreversible damage. The brain’s ability to self-regulate the amount of blood volume to the brain is damaged resulting in increased cerebral blood volume which can result in brainstem herniation and death.

The pressure to the brain increases rapidly causing brain death in as little as three to five minutes. Because brain death is so rapid, second impact syndrome has a high fatality rate in young athletes. (sportsmd.com)

...even the mildest grade of concussion can lead to SIS. (Clinics in Sports Medicine via Wikipedia)

You amazingly did not read my post - your focus is on the second event - it's only a second event if you have a serious first event - in this case it was borderline nonexistent or mild. They took a very conservative approach - which is fine but let's not get carried away with hyperbole.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I did cover it and very thoroughly - still waiting for Stairmaster to produce 5 guys with permanent head trauma from basketball - prior to the new protocols. So far he's come up with zero. I said it was very low risk - maybe I need to reconsider and lower that risk. Millions play the game.

Oh come on. You're beyond engaging with. Earlier in this thread, you openly disputed the notion that Vital was even concussed in the first place. Go back to your 1950s dream world where players who are knocked unconscious stay in the game and those who break bones keep playing without setting them.

I see you're too chicken to go up to Mrs. Vital and tell her the real deal with her son's diagnosis.

C

Chief00

By the way, once his SCAT indicates a concussion, there's very little leeway in progressing back to game play. The training staff would be out on a thin limb if they don't follow protocol.

You seem to be lost in the process weeds - since Stairmaster can't do it -please give me 5 examples of basketball players with permanent brain impairment due to head trauma related to basketball. Plenty of examples for boxing and football if basketball is equally risky why don't we have examples?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
So you can't give me an example of a basketball player who played before the new protocols, that had suffered life long brain damage. This is proof the sports are indeed different as anyone who's played more than one can tell you.
Are you qualified to give medical opinions and make decisions if not dont act as if you are chief. Concussions are not usual injuries in that it does affect something that we all need (some of the bashers dont use theirs) iin order to live. There can be secondary concussion injuries that can come about in the lightest if blows/contact within close time periods between blows.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You seem to be lost in the process weeds - since Stairmaster can't do it -please give me 5 examples of basketball players with permanent brain impairment due to head trauma related to basketball. Plenty of examples for boxing and football if basketball is equally risky why don't we have examples?
Why do you think you need that? What dont you get? This crusade to get somet h ing as prof is complete BS. Who wants to be the first one to experience something terrible on the chance it never happened (that we know of). Especially in theae days of lawsuits. Drop it Chief

Reaction Score
You're trying to have a conversation with someone who literally doesn't have the ability to do that.

Reaction Score
You amazingly did not read my post - your focus is on the second event - it's only a second event if you have a serious first event - in this case it was borderline nonexistent or mild. They took a very conservative approach - which is fine but let's not get carried away with hyperbole.

In what universe are you qualified to know or not know whether Vital had a concussion? I know you believe you are a member of the team and all... Did Bunky tell you something?

Reaction Score
Big deal. You have an MD and 25 years of relevant experience but have you ever hung out with Andre? I didn't think so.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Holy crap why are people even bothering to respond to this maniac?

I admit, I do it often because I can't help it, but at this point it's ridiculous.
I stopped bothering to engage years ago because the goal posts are moved or opinion is decided to be fact on a regular basis until he's convinced himself he's right and influential, but I still love reading his stuff and the responses. There are times I read something and I think, I should respond to that and then realize 1) it wouldn't make a difference and 2) someone else is going to tell him the same thing.

But overall, when I see a thread started or responded to, I can't wait to grab a drink and sit back and read the thread. They are always entertaining in some surreal way.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I thought this was going to be more Uber-bashing, and simply lacked "OT."

C

Chief00

I'm done here.
The rhetoric on this board is all about this terrible risk playing basketball and despite millions playing the game for decades - no one can produce any evidence that playing basketball produces permant head trauma like you could easily produce in boxing or basketball. That's because most of the research points to repeated trauma to the head and that doesn't happen in basketball. In life there is always the possibility of an rare, unusual high impact event but that's hard to mitigate risk for since it can happen in any aspect of life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom