Chief has been lenient on Travis | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief has been lenient on Travis

Reaction Score
I think I met Chief in a bar before. He is the guy you unknowingly sit down next to who proceeds to try to impress you with his knowledge on every possible subject and who he knows. You ignore him and he continues to talk to you. Finally you get up and move to the other side of the bar to get away from him. The bartender then comes over to you and says " I'm sorry about that guy. He comes in here all the time. He can be annoying but he is harmless. Your next drink is on me". Thanks for the free drink Chief.

C

Chief00

I think I met Chief in a bar before. He is the guy you unknowingly sit down next to who proceeds to try to impress you with his knowledge on every possible subject and who he knows. You ignore him and he continues to talk to you. Finally you get up and move to the other side of the bar to get away from him. The bartender then comes over to you and says " I'm sorry about that guy. He comes in here all the time. He can be annoying but he is harmless. Your next drink is on me". Thanks for the free drink Chief.

I don't claim to know all the answers but when no one can answer a basic question to back up conventional wisdom - the alarm bell sounds. I will drop this now, as people requested.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
You amazingly did not read my post - your focus is on the second event - it's only a second event if you have a serious first event - in this case it was borderline nonexistent or mild. They took a very conservative approach - which is fine but let's not get carried away with hyperbole.

And amazingly, you did not either... You are wrong on the second impact invent only being relevant if the first is a "high grade" concussion. Read what I posted. But since you won't because you live in a delusional universe, I'll post it again --> ...even the mildest grade of concussion can lead to SIS. (Clinics in Sports Medicine via Wikipedia)

So to sum, if Vital's concussion was only "mild" as you insinuated it might be, he is at risk for SIS which in real terms put's him at risk for a catastrophic head injury. No, we do not have evidence of that happening in basketball. But the risk IS there. An elbow, blind screen, etc. all could have life altering effects. But to you the risk is worth it.

If this is part of the shtick then it is just too far. If this is real, then I'm legitimately disturbed by how obtuse you are.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I stopped bothering to engage years ago because the goal posts are moved or opinion is decided to be fact on a regular basis until he's convinced himself he's right and influential, but I still love reading his stuff and the responses. There are times I read something and I think, I should respond to that and then realize 1) it wouldn't make a difference and 2) someone else is going to tell him the same thing.

But overall, when I see a thread started or responded to, I can't wait to grab a drink and sit back and read the thread. They are always entertaining in some surreal way.
The best thing is when you write a post like this, and chief gives it a like. All publicity is good publicity.

Chief's best contribution to this board is his avatar.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Kemba and Bazz played lots of minutes

aaaaand they were two of our best players ever.

Try playing Jonathan Mandledove 40 minutes. Would be an absolute sh__t show.

C

Chief00

The best thing is when you write a post like this, and chief gives it a like. All publicity is good publicity.

Chief's best contribution to this board is his avatar.
He says " I still love reading his stuff"

C

Chief00

For those who like data instead of anecdotes:
Study Looks at Concussion Rates Among NCAA Sports

>>When it came to the overall estimated annual numbers of SRCs by sport, men's football was followed by women's soccer (1,113), women's basketball (998), men's basketball (773), and men's wrestling (617).<<

SRC = Sports Related Concussions

Thanks for sharing Men's wrestling has a 10.92 rate vs basketball at 3.89. Backs up my point that the risk of concussion is very different between sports - so if its risk based the protocols should be different. Of these less than 10% are reoccurring, so that brings it down to 0.389 per 10,000.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I know I wrote that I was done, but I'm going to try. Just. One. More. Time.
Thanks for sharing Men's wrestling has a 10.92 rate vs basketball at 3.89. Backs up my point that the risk of concussion is very different between sports - so if its risk based the protocols should be different. Of these less than 10% are reoccurring, so that brings it down to 0.389 per 10,000.
Which, of course, tells you absolutely nothing about how each individual concussion should be managed. (Hint: They are all managed the same.)

Reaction Score

Nobody is arguing that the risks of concussions are different per sport... A concussion is a concussion no matter what sport and the protocols for return are and should be the same for men's basketball and women's soccer but you'll continue to spin it back to what you believe despite bodies of studies and evidence to the contrary.

C

Chief00

But the statistic say that anytime anyone steps out onto a court or field of play they are taking a risk - as a society we have decided those are risk worth taking; however today many feel boxing is too much of a risk and I agree. You could make that argument for wrestling too. Others make it for football.
We are in the early stages of concussion protocols across a wide population and as with any medical or scientific approach over time adjustments will be made as research indicates.
Given these rates, and UConn MBB acute deviation - UConn really needs to examine if their identification of a concussion process is solid. Granted though our sample experience is small.
Like I said I was pro concussion protocol decades before it was popular - one thing we don't want to do is treat all truly different situations the same - because that dilutes or minimizes the serious situations.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
You seem to be talking about risks among populations of athletes not currently dealing with recovery from concussion. That's not the same as advancing a concussed athlete back to game-readiness. You wouldn't let a boxer who got knocked out fight the next night, would you?

C

Chief00

Nobody is arguing that the risks of concussions are different per sport... A concussion is a concussion no matter what sport and the protocols for return are and should be the same for men's basketball and women's soccer but you'll continue to spin it back to what you believe despite bodies of studies and evidence to the contrary.
Don't agree, I think there should be a longer protocol for return for wrestling or boxing ( where you are guaranteed to be repeatedly hit in the head) than in basketball.

C

Chief00

You seem to be talking about risks among populations of athletes not currently dealing with recovery from concussion. That's not the same as advancing a concussed athlete back to game-readiness. You wouldn't let a boxer who got knocked out fight the next night, would you?
I totally agree boxing should be differentiated and you should have a much longer return curve. It should be risk base and sports where you have repeated head trauma the time frame should be much longer.

Reaction Score
Don't agree, I think there should be a longer protocol for return for wrestling or boxing ( where you are guaranteed to be repeatedly hit in the head) than in basketball.

I'll give you boxing - I was talking NCAA sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom