Chief Brief’s - St John’s Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief Brief’s - St John’s Edition

C

Chief00

While this wasn't a championship game situation, one can easily see Sanogo feeling like Blake Snell in game 6.

And look where Snell is now.

Also, if Posh would smile more, he could be the closest imitation to KEA in 20 years.
Adama is a very thoughtful guy. Evidence of that was he also offered the coaches explanation of why he didn’t play. Doesn’t mean he agrees with it, but he considered that line of thought.
In the post he is one of the most patience guys I have seen. He creates a good target, has great hands and when he gets the ball he puts the defender through a TORTURE CHAMBER as Kevin McHale use to call it. A variety of foot work and pump fakes. Unlike our other Bigs, nothing is rushed or frenzy.

Reaction Score
Adama is a very thoughtful guy. Evidence of that was he also offered the coaches explanation of why he didn’t play. Doesn’t mean he agrees with it, but he considered that line of thought.
In the post he is one of the most patience guys I have seen. He creates a good target, has great hands and when he gets the ball he puts the defender through a TORTURE CHAMBER as Kevin McHale use to call it. A variety of foot work and pump fakes. Unlike our other Bigs, nothing is rushed or frenzy.
Adama is showing that his footwork and his hands are solid; he doesn't get jumbled up and turn the ball over or travel.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
wow. fire everrone. i mean, a one game losing streak with our total losses to date being the 2?
fire everrone. burn it down. start over.
or, they all pulled a team stinko, and would be undefeated but for a few ft's.
jalen only played a few minutes due to the fouls thing, most directly due to the timing of his fouls, and coach's need to have him around for the endgame. flow disruption. not clear on the sanogo and josh (3 minutes!) burn times thing. one affliction we clearly did not have was a case of the runs. prolly just need more hotsauce in our diet. it may cause spurtability, which, in this case, is a good thing.

Reaction Score
Without reading the thread, O/U on Chief replies to his own thread in order to keep it “relevant”? 8? 10?

Reaction Score
wow. fire everrone. i mean, a one game losing streak with our total losses to date being the 2?
fire everrone. burn it down. start over.
or, they all pulled a team stinko, and would be undefeated but for a few ft's.
jalen only played a few minutes due to the fouls thing, most directly due to the timing of his fouls, and coach's need to have him around for the endgame. flow disruption. not clear on the sanogo and josh (3 minutes!) burn times thing. one affliction we clearly did not have was a case of the runs. prolly just need more hotsauce in our diet. it may cause spurtability, which, in this case, is a good thing.
It has more to do with the manner of the loss and the fact that we lost to a team that is really not as talented at home. A lot of people thought we were over these type of losses Add some questionable moves by Hurley and missed Foul shots in crunch time and you are going to get lots of critical posts.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
you are going to get lots of critical posts
'you are going to get lots of critical posts.'
'going to?' ur kidding, right? lol. i kinda thought it was in my job description here.
that hurley guy, he always bricks the free throws. fire him. hire that reggie miller guy, or at least his sister.
(ps. i understand that ur comment did not target me. just havin' a bit o fun with it.)

C

Chief00

Without reading the thread, O/U on Chief replies to his own thread in order to keep it “relevant”? 8? 10?
So you are the 54th post in a thread you haven’t read. Just like there’s no conspiracy with @Grey Goose, there is no valid conspiracy theory to Chief either responding to questions or commenting on points others brought up. None of this is preplanned or coordinated as you seem to suggest. So I am brillantly orchestrating all these posters - who are likely Chief burner accounts - to stay relevant? Do you honestly believe that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
this narcissist please have a word with Coach about the Sanogo situation. No reason Brendan Adams should have played 30 minutes when Sanogo gets yanked out. He’s a great coach but not perfect. Help him to realize his mistake. We need you on this one this narcissist. We gotta keep this ship headed the right direction
I do not get the love for Adams. Good kid I am sure and he might try but honestly what does he bring?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Adama is showing that his footwork and his hands are solid; he doesn't get jumbled up and turn the ball over or travel.

Yep. His skill and patience with the ball and his moves around the basket is highly advanced beyond what's expected from a freshmen.

While everyone else is jumping, shuffling their feet and slapping at the ball, he moves at his own pace and gets results.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Hurley’s game plan was fine. We missed key free throws, offered minimal help side defense, and took bad shots down the stretch. This loss was poor execution by the guys on the court, not the ones on the sidelines. We love to overreact when guys overachieve, now we blame the coach when they revert back to the players they are? This loss sucks, it should have been a win, but it wasn’t. The criticism of Hurley is not only head scratching, it’s embarrassing. Not the best day for the ‘yard. A knowledgeable fan base, which we are, should react better. Shame on us.
If no one is offering help throughout the game then that IS the coaches responsibility to call guys out for it; even a timeout if he has to make it a point. When he makes these points in practice (assuming he does) then when they pull it again in a game he needs to pull them out and give them a rest on the bench to show them he means what he says. Look at it another way. The kids for the most part are really hustling; he's the adult in the room and needs to remind them that he really means something when he says it. Kids need direction and I am sure that he got that point over when he was recruiting. Now put it into practice. Outside of that he has done a great job of recruiting and getting them to work hard (especially on defense) at least to the extent of their ability. You make the best game plan you can but then have some flexibility when you need to as someone else pointed out more than once on this board.

Reaction Score
So you are the 54th post in a thread you haven’t read. Just like there’s no conspiracy with @Grey Goose, there is no valid conspiracy theory to Chief either responding to questions or commenting on points others brought up. None of this is preplanned or coordinated as you seem to suggest. So I am brillantly orchestrating all these posters - who are likely Chief burner accounts - to stay relevant? Do you honestly believe that?
You knew exactly what and when I would post, and planned accordingly.
when I was in management I lived by one rule. Make it about the behavior, not the person. Good advice for some in here.

C

Chief00

You knew exactly what and when I would post, and planned accordingly.
when I was in management I lived by one rule. Make it about the behavior, not the person. Good advice for some in here.
True, it’s human nature to convince oneself our behavior is unique when it’s not and predictable. During Chief’s consulting days, I would interview leaders or employees and was often told how unique their business was and therefore the usual principles and solutions couldn’t be applied. Of course, they were wrong. Their business typically wasn’t so different,

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Calhoun would hook kids 3 seconds into a game. Talk about reactionary! Seemed to work out though LOL
Calhoun had the guts and coaching experience/smarts to back those actions - thats why they worked. He understood that a valuable counterpart to being a pr#ck was also to be a gumby and flexible.
Hurley has the pr#ck part down good (Captain Brutality) but hasn't matured yet into being flexible. If you were to tell me that every one of those coaches sitting on that UConn bench agreed with DH that Sanogo was better off sitting than playing I would suggest getting rid of them all.
Things have got to change with how DH approaches the game or he is going to lose some good players.
The loss is a partly due to players not finishing but a majority rests on the coaching shoulders. Kids were out there at the end that should have been sitting.
also its been said many times many ways ....NEVER play Cole and Gaff together AGAIN

Have to wonder why Anthony of the Courant failed to ask about the Sanogo situation

Reaction Score
Reasonable complaint. But to call out Hurley at the extent this board is is completly absurd. Who knows, with as fast as St. John's was playing, Adama could have picked up 3 fouls in 2 minutes. He made a judgement call and was wrong. He isn't the first coach that has happened too. And to blame not playing Adama as the reason we lost is comical. We lost because we can't hit free throws, a few guys(i won't name anyone) refused to offer any help side defense, and another player came back to earth. With a minute to go, with 20 seconds to go, we still should have won. Thats execution. Thats not coaching.
Yes, but DH himself said that with Bouk sidelined there is a very narrow window to a win for every game we play.

Sitting Adama when he was excelling made the window to a win against StJ even narrower, and at the end it proved too narrow for this team to be able to hold on.

Reaction Score
Letting a 7-7 team come into your gym and dictate some self imposed rule that we couldn't play one of our more effective offensive players that day because he's a big guy and they weren't playing one is madness. To do it for 13 minutes when you had the lead the whole day is madness.

Handing a win to St. John's infuriates me. Sorry I remember their fanbase back in the day. Guess that's the blessing of being back in the BE. I actually care if we lose to some of these teams.

Reaction Score
Second chance points killed us in the final minutes as well, at least twice we have them a second chance opportunity and they had a putback once and kicked it out for a 3 the other time.

C

Chief00

Second chance points killed us in the final minutes as well, at least twice we have them a second chance opportunity and they had a putback once and kicked it out for a 3 the other time.
I don’t think that would have happened with Sanogo in the game. Where I don’t agree with the critics is that Hurley has this smartest person complex. Like most successful people, he can have a healthy confident attitude sometimes but generally speaking, he can be self demeaning and can make fun of himself. He can see the humor in things. Inflexible at times in the short term - of course and that’s what he needs to work on. I wish he would ripe up Game plans more and ride the hot hand. But, one poster is correct - I expect more time for Adama next game but it will be Dan’s decision not ours. As Chief mentioned, I got a 4 letter word earful when I suggested something to Calhoun once but did see evidence he thought about it later but if I was stupid enough to inquiry again I am sure whatever changed had nothing to do with what I said! A friend of Chief had the famous “call off the dogs” comment to Calhoun at the Q game against Tom Moore. Of course, he responded what the “F” do you want me to do (think we are so much better we can’t help leading by 40 points) but then did put in the walkons that snowy day at the fairly empty XL, after pouting on the bench for 30 seconds. By then, it was his decision not hers, however there’s no doubt he thought she was right. In fact, he took her advice another time after that. Chief also knew that Pat was the boss off the court. So if it was a female he liked and respected - he might be more likely to listen and change fairly quickly on a people thing - and that was really about his relationship with Tom Moore.

C

Chief00

"I" = 8
"Chief" = 3

it's OK, keep going, you can do it, Chief!
I think over 4K views answers that. The dogs like the dog food. Especially noteworthy since my lead post was quarantine by the moderators and then buried in the feed by the original time stamp once released. The opportunity cost there was another 3k to 5k.

Reaction Score

gee I wonder who could have helped in that department.

Reaction Score
And that’s a result of us not playing our bigs at that time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom