Chief Brief’s - St John’s Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief Brief’s - St John’s Edition

Reaction Score
Hurley’s game plan was fine. We missed key free throws, offered minimal help side defense, and took bad shots down the stretch. This loss was poor execution by the guys on the court, not the ones on the sidelines. We love to overreact when guys overachieve, now we blame the coach when they revert back to the players they are? This loss sucks, it should have been a win, but it wasn’t. The criticism of Hurley is not only head scratching, it’s embarrassing. Not the best day for the ‘yard. A knowledgeable fan base, which we are, should react better. Shame on us.
He could have put Sanogo in for several possessions on offense. The kid had 12 points in 17 minutes, they couldn't stop him.

Reaction Score
Reasonable complaint. But to call out Hurley at the extent this board is is completly absurd. Who knows, with as fast as St. John's was playing, Adama could have picked up 3 fouls in 2 minutes. He made a judgement call and was wrong. He isn't the first coach that has happened too. And to blame not playing Adama as the reason we lost is comical. We lost because we can't hit free throws, a few guys(i won't name anyone) refused to offer any help side defense, and another player came back to earth. With a minute to go, with 20 seconds to go, we still should have won. Thats execution. Thats not coaching.
Having the correct players on the floor is coaching

Reaction Score
I liked Gaffney's athletic layup finish today. He still plays tentative most of the time, stands around not in an athletic position and he has to get rid of his one handed passes, which don't work at this level. Cole is doing so much as it is, that I think he wouldn't make it to games end if we try to go up tempo. That can wait until we get Bouk back. Our guard depth is SOOO thin minus Bouk and to a lesser extent AJ.
I like Gaffney, but when he was on the floor the Uconn leads disappeared. It happened in the first half and worse in the second half when UConn has resurrected an 8 point lead. He came in and it disappeared. I am not blaming him personally, but he is physically ready it seems to me.

Reaction Score
Reasonable complaint. But to call out Hurley at the extent this board is is completly absurd. Who knows, with as fast as St. John's was playing, Adama could have picked up 3 fouls in 2 minutes. He made a judgement call and was wrong. He isn't the first coach that has happened too. And to blame not playing Adama as the reason we lost is comical. We lost because we can't hit free throws, a few guys(i won't name anyone) refused to offer any help side defense, and another player came back to earth. With a minute to go, with 20 seconds to go, we still should have won. Thats execution. Thats not coaching.
It's absolutely the reason we lost the game and Hurley should be getting crushed for it.

C

Chief00

It's absolutely the reason we lost the game and Hurley should be getting crushed for it.
Without Bouknight our margin for error is thin. While I agree not playing Sanogo was key, missing foul shots hurt as well. One could make the argument that missing key foul shots caused us our two loses but of course it’s more complicated than that. Another major fail was our rim protection. Too many unmolested drives to the hoop, while our Bigs were retreating from the 3 point line. Chief also thought our inbounds plays weren’t crisp and never were used in an opportunist way.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Did you read what he said? We had to pull him because they went to 4 guards and there was nobody for him to guard in man. Think about that. Whaley was defending their biggest and best player. So if Hurley had say, Shaq? Kareem? Wilt? He’d just park them on the bench and play guys who were rather ineffective instead. Sanogo isn’t Shaq, but against St. John’s, he wasn’t far off. They had no answer for him, even on defense he was controlling the paint.

If Dan switches to Zone to protect his center and the rim, we win by double figures. St. John’s would have missed outside often enough, would have no chance for rebounds and we’d keep scoring easily inside. They would have been forced to abandon that small lineup. We saw it in the first half too. That run they made in the second ten minutes also came against our “one big” lineup.

Reaction Score
Did you read what he said? We had to pull him because they went to 4 guards and there was nobody for him to guard in man. Think about that. Whaley was defending their biggest and best player. So if Hurley had say, Shaq? Kareem? Wilt? He’d just park them on the bench and play guys who were rather ineffective instead. Sanogo isn’t Shaq, but against St. John’s, he wasn’t far off. They had no answer for him, even on defense he was controlling the paint.

If Dan switches to Zone to protect his center and the rim, we win by double figures. St. John’s would have missed outside often enough, would have no chance for rebounds and we’d keep scoring easily inside. They would have been forced to abandon that small lineup. We saw it in the first half too. That run they made in the second ten minutes also came against our “one big” lineup.
This is the stubbornness, it's worrisome he didn't just admit it was a mistake in the post game presser. I can't tell if he's just being stubborn in not admitting he screwed up or if he really believes what he said. If he really believes it every team we play is going to run all guards out there against us.

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score

Sums it up perfectly. Well said.

C

Chief00

Chief please have a word with Coach about the Sanogo situation. No reason Brendan Adams should have played 30 minutes when Sanogo gets yanked out. He’s a great coach but not perfect. Help him to realize his mistake. We need you on this one Chief. We gotta keep this ship headed the right direction
Reminds me of trying to give Calhoun advice once - LOL. What the “F” do you want me to do? That “MF” would have gotten torch, etc. But, next game it did look different after the start.

Reaction Score
It was pretty obvious today. Danny was out coached. Only time in three years I saw this happen. Their guards were told drive to the hoop they can't contain you. No low post presence. I'm shocked he took Sanogo out , the kid was killing them inside on the offensive end. Also a roadblock inside. It wasn't a surprise after he was out it was Posh Alexander and Wasu to the basket. Danny said he couldn't put him out there with four guards. Well he did petty good when he was in their on defense earlier. Cole, Adams, Polley surely weren't playing defense. They let St. John's steal one. That's two now Creighton and Johnnies. I guess DH will text us tomorrow, I OWE YOU GUYS ONE!!! PS Learn to make free throws in last minute. I believe they missed FOUR!!!!!!!

C

Chief00

Agree. He’s actually pretty athletic but never seen a guy who hides it so well. He displayed a glimpse of it when he drove in for that layup but then we never saw that trait again, the rest of the game. With Gaffney, the issue is confidence.

Reaction Score
Sanogo should have played more, but I thought a bigger problem was letting them space us out so easily.

Posh Alexander was able to blow by Cole several times because there was absolutely no help behind him. Alexander might be the quickest guy in the conference and it’s always going to be a struggle to stay in front of him, but you can’t leave your on-ball defenders completely isolated

Reaction Score
I expect this is an educational moment for coach. He’s got to be rethinking that game and torturing himself with it. I’m sure the assistants are talking it over with him too. Tom Moore has been around a lot of these situations and he’s had some great teaching from JC. They’ve got a pretty good brain trust there. I won’t be at all surprised to see a lot more of Sanogo in the near future.

Yes, coach could just say he messed up and own it, but I’m not sure that’s his style. That doesn’t mean he isn’t owning it behind closed doors. That’s not a big deal in my book. I hate admitting when I’m wrong, especially about things that are a matter of opinion vs straight fact.

Reaction Score
This is the stubbornness, it's worrisome he didn't just admit it was a mistake in the post game presser. I can't tell if he's just being stubborn in not admitting he screwed up or if he really believes what he said. If he really believes it every team we play is going to run all guards out there against us.
Hurley is a solid coach but he has a bit of SGIR syndrome. And it has gotten him in trouble before just as it did yesterday.

Reaction Score
Big picture - We have managed to be competitive without our star player. Something to keep in mind. But, in every game, let’s fight and get the “W”. At the end of the day you need the “W”.

Chief liked the shooting we came out with. We also moved well and just as importantly hit the guy at the right time in the right place for the shots. Cole, Adams and Tyler strokes looked good early. Cole played a good all round game.

Sanogo, Chief just loves the way he posts and demands the ball and he’s just a freshman. Great hands and soft touch too. Like the way he uses his shoulder to create space. He needs many more minutes and now. Love his patience on offense. He’s our best upside Big by Chief’s eye test. Period.

On the downside Josh is playing poorly. Doesn't display good hands, isn’t finishing strong, missing foul shots. Josh is not alone, our other Bigs (besides Dam Break recruit Sanogo) aren’t finishing strong at the rim. Neither is Martin. Whaley was a step behind the play all game. Foolish foul by Whaley to end the first half. Akok is looking more ready on defense and running the court. On Offense - he’s still rusty.

Gaffney, Chief still believes in that Dam Break recruit as I did when we recruited him. When he finds his confidence (likely soon), he will be real solid.

Give Martin credit on defense - doing a great defensive job on Champagnie. Chief really liked Dylan Addae Wusu though. A tank dude.

Chief is in total agreement with Donny that we need to run more and I will add guys need to do it in a discipline way using basketball fundamentals. We just don’t seem to have that mindset. We should attempt to run at the start of almost every possession. Even after made shots. True, if it’s not there, or a trailer, don’t force it and pull it out.
UConn got lots of points off turnovers - and this team needs to convert it’s good defense into offense. Martin closed the game fairly strong but missed the two big FT’s at end. . St John improved their 3 point shots and UConn did a really bad job finding the 3 point shooters. Our help defense on drives was poor too.

Cole is a good foul shooter but he chokes late in the game. Not like CV.

Hurley really fell asleep on Adama. I can’t explain it.
Foul shooting lost the game for us again! Get in the gym guys.
His layup in the 2nd half (when he took the pass at the top of the key and made a ballers move to the hoop) was the most athletic play I have seen him make in a game. First time all year I thought he might have another gear he wasn’t showing yet. If he is going to be on the court he needs to show much more of that.

Last edited:

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Hurley has to work on his in game adjustments and decisions because this is not the first time he has committed to something that is not working and stuck with it. The players have areas they need to work on as well and coaching was one of the reasons for the loss, but not the only reason. He needs to just get better in that aspect. The team will be fine.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hurley is a solid coach but he has a bit of SGIR syndrome. And it has gotten him in trouble before just as it did yesterday.

He's in the Society for German Idealism and Romanticism?

I'd say he's stubborn and lacking in flexibility in his approach. Has been since he got here.

C

Chief00

His layup in the 2nd half (when he took the pass at the top of the key and made a ballers move to the hoop) was the most athletic play I have seen him make in a game. First time all year I thought he might have another gear he wasn’t showing yet. If he is going to be on the court he needs to show much more of that.
He has that gear. Believe me. I wish I knew why he doesn’t display it more. I wish he had Sanogo’s attitude about showing what he can do.

C

Chief00

Hurley has to work on his in game adjustments and decisions because this is not the first time he has committed to something that is not working and stuck with it. The players have areas they need to work on as well and coaching was one of the reasons for the loss, but not the only reason. He needs to just get better in that aspect. The team will be fine.
He definitely doesn’t ride a hot hand. Sure that can be overdone but Chief always thought that made the game easy for stretches, so go with it.

C

Chief00

What is SGIR? I could Google it but I am too lazy.

C

Chief00

I expect this is an educational moment for coach. He’s got to be rethinking that game and torturing himself with it. I’m sure the assistants are talking it over with him too. Tom Moore has been around a lot of these situations and he’s had some great teaching from JC. They’ve got a pretty good brain trust there. I won’t be at all surprised to see a lot more of Sanogo in the near future.

Yes, coach could just say he messed up and own it, but I’m not sure that’s his style. That doesn’t mean he isn’t owning it behind closed doors. That’s not a big deal in my book. I hate admitting when I’m wrong, especially about things that are a matter of opinion vs straight fact.
Very true.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Adama should have play in the last 12 minutes is my complaint. He was our best player today.
While this wasn't a championship game situation, one can easily see Sanogo feeling like Blake Snell in game 6.

And look where Snell is now.

Also, if Posh would smile more, he could be the closest imitation to KEA in 20 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom