Chief’s Briefs - Temple Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Temple Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

In the first 7 minutes we shot 9%. Our top scorer is out and one of our top 3 scorers we choose not to start the game. If it weren’t for CV coming in and knocking down four 3’s, we would be down by more than 5 points at halftime.

While we keep coming back, guys are just not playing smart, and that prevents us from playing our best. Adams comes into the game and jacks up a shot before he has any feel for the game. Sid looks really lost out there and is hanging around the perimeter rather than doing what he does best - being a live body on the boards. We also have several unforced turnovers after getting a block, rebound or turnover.

Who played well ? Josh continued his improvement and is playing with energy and confidence. Let’s give Coach Hunter some credit here too with his work with Josh. CV while sometimes sloppy with the ball hit shots early when no one else did and continued his offense throughout the game. Chief just doesn’t see Tarin Smith earning his minutes. Chief would like to see Polley use the mid range game where he could use his size for floaters more to complement his 3 ball.

One of the themes the last two games is use of low block screens reminiscent of the 1999 team. Early in the second half, we ran a nice play off a double screen that left CV open for a 3. I hope we continue to use low post screens.

The flagrant foul by B Adams is yet another example of trying to find a way to lose despite the team competing hard. We gave them four points on that play. Another finding a way to lose illustration is our foul shooting tonight. 50% - 60% range foul shooting kills you in a close game.

The Gilbert injury toward the end was the turning point in the game. Our offense basically collapses when Gilbert leaves the game, especially without Jalen. Give Alston credit, he had a great game too and I love his foul shooting.

Great games by CV and Carlton. After the game tonight let’s have some mandatory foul shooting practice.

Reaction Score
We win this game if Gilbert doesn't go down.

Also, every big recruit going forward should get to watch film of Carlton last year and film from the second half of this season. the improvement has been unbelievable

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Stop with the great games.

Those two played well, but sorry, not great.

This team is so painfully hard to watch. They get a lead...they immediately give up a 9-0 run because they just can’t string a couple of solid defensive trips together.

They miss free throws and layups at such a clip that I wonder if they have binocular vision.

This is such a bad team. Just so, so bad.

Losing Gilbert was a killer, but let’s be honest - they likely find a way to lose even if he’s in there.

Reaction Score
In the first 7 minutes we shot 9%. Our top scorer is out and one of our top 3 scorers we choose not to start the game. If it weren’t for CV coming in and knocking down four 3’s, we would be down by more than 5 points at halftime.

While we keep coming back, guys are just not playing smart, and that prevents us from playing our best. Adams comes into the game and jacks up a shot before he has any feel for the game. Sid looks really lost out there and is hanging around the perimeter rather than doing what he does best - being a live body on the boards. We also have several unforced turnovers after getting a block, rebound or turnover.

Who played well ? Josh continued his improvement and is playing with energy and confidence. Let’s give Coach Hunter some credit here too with his work with Josh. CV while sometimes sloppy with the ball hit shots early when no one else did and continued his offense throughout the game. Chief just doesn’t see Tarin Smith earning his minutes. Chief would like to see Polley use the mid range game where he could use his size for floaters more to complement his 3 ball.

One of the themes the last two games is use of low block screens reminiscent of the 1999 team. Early in the second half, we ran a nice play off a double screen that left CV open for a 3. I hope we continue to use low post screens.

The flagrant foul by B Adams is yet another example of trying to find a way to lose despite the team competing hard. We gave them four points on that play. Another finding a way to lose illustration is our foul shooting tonight. 50% - 60% range foul shooting kills you in a close game.

The Gilbert injury toward the end was the turning point in the game. Our offense basically collapses when Gilbert leaves the game, especially without Jalen. Give Alston credit, he had a great game too and I love his foul shooting.

Great games by CV and Carlton. After the game tonight let’s have some mandatory foul shooting practice.

B Adams got burned 3 plays in a row for 7 points before that too. Not sure why he was on Alston. That was actually 11 straight points scored on Adams basically.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think turning back to back 2 on 1s into zero points was the other big turning point.

Guys didn’t know how to run the break. Gilbert literally ran in the wrong direction for one of them.

Carlton is playing bully ball down low when he gets the ball, and I love it.

Vital must be kicking puppies in his free time or something.

But while it’s another loss, I’m pretty confident going into next year. This team needs another ball handler for sure next year, plus some size (and supposedly have the scholarships to do it). The shooting has to improve though.

Reaction Score
We win this game if Gilbert doesn't go down.

Also, every big recruit going forward should get to watch film of Carlton last year and film from the second half of this season. the improvement has been unbelievable

Carlton is way ahead of schedule. He’s an all conference player next season. I thought eventually he maybe could get to that level as a senior.

Reaction Score

I thought pollen played well too. Carlton was a monster and it was nice to see CV get out of his funk.

Reaction Score
Carlton is way ahead of schedule. He’s an all conference player next season. I thought eventually he maybe could get to that level as a senior.
Yeah, we need to feed him more. He is powering up everything now inside. Just needs to hit more of his foul shots like the rest of the team.

Reaction Score
Only 5 players in the scoring column. We really are undermanned and miss Jalen tremendously. Thankfully, Vital and Carlton brought their game tonight.

Reaction Score
Stop with the great games.

Those two played well, but sorry, not great.

This team is so painfully hard to watch. They get a lead...they immediately give up a 9-0 run because they just can’t string a couple of solid defensive trips together.

They miss free throws and layups at such a clip that I wonder if they have binocular vision.

This is such a bad team. Just so, so bad.

Losing Gilbert was a killer, but let’s be honest - they likely find a way to lose even if he’s in there.
we can rag on missing layups all we want, but it's still so much better than it was the last few years. it's probably the biggest improvement that no one talks about.

Reaction Score
The defense was the problem. Way too many lay ups for Temple even when Josh was in the game. An old bugaboo, getting blown by on the dribble reared its ugly head.

I won't miss Smith. He got huge minutes and contributes almost nothing. We would have been better off giving the minutes to Badams so he could develop.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
we can rag on missing layups all we want, but it's still so much better than it was the last few years. it's probably the biggest improvement that no one talks about.

What are you talking about?

Reaction Score
The defense was the problem. Way too many lay ups for Temple even when Josh was in the game. An old bugaboo, getting blown by on the dribble reared its ugly head.

I won't miss Smith. He got huge minutes and contributes almost nothing. We would have been better off giving the minutes to Badams so he could develop.
Yeah, Smith is just another version of A. Anderson from last year. He is good 6th man in the Atlantic 10 and should be the 2nd guard off the bench here and not starting.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The guards can’t stop anyone.

Gilbert, on occasion, accidentally stays in front of his man, but Vital and Smith are terrible defensive players.

Reaction Score
Josh continues to grow and gain confidence. CV was on fire. Temple made adjustments and clamped down on CV. Gilbert getting hurt was the turning point. I hope he is OK. We did not help ourselves on the foul line. The grind must continue on the recruiting front! Need another quality big to help out Josh. I believe we will be back sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about?
we had entire stretches of games during '15-'16 and '16-'17 where we would repeatedly go up and down the court bricking layups. Uncontested and contested. we still miss them, but it's not an all game affair like it had been

Reaction Score
Josh continues to grow and gain confidence. CV was on fire. Temple made adjustments and clamped down on CV. Gilbert getting hurt was the turning point. I hope he is OK. We did not help ourselves on the foul line. The grind must continue on the recruiting front! Need another quality big to help out Josh. I believe we will be back sooner rather than later.
If he has a concussion and misses the ECU game, we may lose it.

Sadly, barring Jalen returning and a miracle run, this team's last game will either be the first or second round of the AAC.

Josh is showing himself to be better than I thought.

Gilbert, when healthy on the court, is a player even when he has a bad game. Next year he's going to be fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom