Chief’s Briefs - Temple Edition | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Temple Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I don't agree with this. We miss layups every game and fairly consistently.

I had little faith that Vital's steal and breakaway was going to be successful.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The guards can’t stop anyone.

Gilbert, on occasion, accidentally stays in front of his man, but Vital and Smith are terrible defensive players.

And so often the interior scoring against us comes because Josh or Polley leave their man to help when a guard gets beat. Not that most of the bigs don't have defensive issues too.

I wonder if we remember what it was like when our guards smothered the other team's guards on D. We should, we watch other teams do it to us.

Reaction Score
In brief, we suck and it is probably not going to change anytime soon.

Reaction Score
I remember some commentators talking about 25 from the 5 this season and that’s what needed to get done. Carlton got 28 of those and Cobb 0. Carlton is going to be a major impact player next year as a junior. I expect him to be around for all 4 years but if he continues playing like he has recently, he could get looks from pros after next season.

No. He's an undersized 5 and not nearly athletic enough to be a 4. Hopefully he keeps improving and becomes a consistently good college 5 next year, but this is not an NBA player.

Reaction Score
In brief, we suck and it is probably not going to change anytime soon.

This is not fair. It's changing. Look at Carlton for crying out loud. What an improvement! We have a depleted roster with injuries and guys who quite frankly shouldn't be playing competitive D1 basketball yet we are playing competitive D1 basketball. Good times ahead.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this. We miss layups every game and fairly consistently.

He's not real, just a myth.
You're forgetting how bad it was, then. We are much improved in this area compared to the last several

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You're forgetting how bad it was, then. We are much improved in this area compared to the last several

I don't think so...

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Yup. Last night were up a deuce can when AG went down. We had momentum. Who knows the outcome if that doesn’t happen to him, but we weren’t the same afterward , especially stopping penetration.

It’s hard to know what this team would’ve been like if Carlton had Yakwe or Diarra banging inside. I don’t know that Polley will ever be more than a stand up gunner with an occasional drive. I think that’s an ok role for him if the other forward is any kind of inside presence. Carlton clearly has progressed to a point where if he’s not doubled, and stays aggressive, he’s tough to defend. If he can improve his passing he’ll be a pretty well round player. Hurley said Josh is pretty good facing from 10 feet and wants him add that.
Polley did show a little promise last night with some versatility on offense. Earlier in the season he was more inclined to catch and shoot, and specifically look to be close to the 3-point line. Last night there were 2 or 3 occasions where he dribbled in closer to the basket and got a better shot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think Christian would have started tonight if it wasn't senior night. We'll see vs. ECU.
Why would he? He seems to be coming around in his new role.

Reaction Score
No. He's an undersized 5 and not nearly athletic enough to be a 4. Hopefully he keeps improving and becomes a consistently good college 5 next year, but this is not an NBA player.
Agree that Josh isn't an NBA player but is 6'10 really that undersized?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And so often the interior scoring against us comes because Josh or Polley leave their man to help when a guard gets beat. Not that most of the bigs don't have defensive issues too.

I wonder if we remember what it was like when our guards smothered the other team's guards on D. We should, we watch other teams do it to us.

Conversely, guards were able to do this because they had someone inside who was going to cleanup regardless.

We don't have the guards outside, nor the guys inside, to do this. Hence we suck on D.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Agree that Josh isn't an NBA player but is 6'10 really that undersized?

He's closer to 6'6-6'7, maybe 6'8. 6'9. With zero athleticism.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would add stops were a lot harder to come by without Gilbert pressuring the ball. We did finally adjust but we were already down 5-6..
That was a huge turning point in a game we were on the verge of winning..
FT shooting sucked but it was basically misses by the young kids which is not that unusual
Wilson stroke is awful but (it’s his defensive potential that intrigue me) however Carlton and Polley will become better FT shooters with experience.
Adams was overmatched in this game and using him in a tight game was costly.
Carlton will be all AAC by his senior year. Not an NBA guy unless he grows a couple of inches but who cares . That’s a still a long way from the 18 year kid that showed up here in 2017.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think Christian would have started tonight if it wasn't senior night. We'll see vs. ECU.
Well if Al can’t play we HAVE to start CV and probably play him 40 minutes.

Our other option is:
Tarin
BAdms
Sid
Polley
Carlton

That’s...a team who loses to ECU

Reaction Score
He's closer to 6'6-6'7, maybe 6'8. With zero athleticism.
Diarra is 6'6. Carlton definitely closer to 6'9, 6'10.
1552075833699.png

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Fair. Using 6'5.5 Diarra. Subtracting all the hair (top of hair to top of hair line), Maybe 6'9 Josh. He always seems shorter on the court, maybe because he's so earth bound.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104