Chief’s Briefs - Temple Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Temple Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I didn’t read any of this thread because I watched the game on dvr. I want to know why we can’t shoot free throws? That’s all. I’m done.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Re: Polley he reminds me of Purvis with his three point/free throw shooting. How do you hit 40% from three and 60% from the stripe? Entirely between the ears.

Reaction Score
We got at least 4 stops early in the first half and got no points off them. This continued in the second half. Hurley put in Cobb, B Adams and Sid when we took our biggest lead in the second half and they got smoked. How did anyone think BA could cover Alston? This was a big change in momentum. Then we killed ourselves with inept free throw shooting again. All our effort is wasted by inept free throw shooting and terrible attempts at fast breaks. The kids played hard all game, too bad.

Reaction Score
We should be begging Vital to come back and everyone else needs to shoot free throws all summer.
Nice game again by Carlton. Hopefully he gets more help next year. Cobb has faded into oblivion.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Another game that ended up being close, but even if Gilbert closed it out, I'm not sure we get the W.

Sobering thoughts below:

Carlton is still far from being consistently good, but his improvement from last season to now is night and day.

Vital is Vital.

Gilbert is our best player, but over a healthy full season I'm not sold on him being the best player on an NCAA Tournament team.

Wilson has been a huge disappointment. Guy is absolutely lost on the floor.

Polley, is a soft player who disappears and just floats through the game.

The other guys I'm not even sure they are worth mentioning.

Bottom line we better hope Hurley bats 3/3 on Gaffney, Bouknight and Akok because we could be in for another rough season or two.

Reaction Score
it seems like the better josh plays, the worse he shoots on FT's. I wonder if it's an issue of fatigue.

Good point. A lot of guys need to make adjustments there. With Josh I think another year of getting stronger and more confident could solve some of those issues. Foul shooting involves a lot of practice and cleaning up your form. Then it's just focus, relax, repeat what you practiced.

Reaction Score
Stop with the great games.

Those two played well, but sorry, not great.

This team is so painfully hard to watch. They get a lead...they immediately give up a 9-0 run because they just can’t string a couple of solid defensive trips together.

They miss free throws and layups at such a clip that I wonder if they have binocular vision.

This is such a bad team. Just so, so bad.

Losing Gilbert was a killer, but let’s be honest - they likely find a way to lose even if he’s in there.

They are frustrating, but they are much more fun to watch than last year's team.

Reaction Score
Yeah, we need to feed him more. He is powering up everything now inside. Just needs to hit more of his foul shots like the rest of the team.
His improvements would have helped the one guy who needed an inside presence. JALEN ADAMS. So much pressure off of him and more space with fewer double teams. He hasn’t ever had that luxury save a short period with Rodney. Oh wait he had a concussion that year they were all hurt too

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I didn’t read any of this thread because I watched the game on dvr. I want to know why we can’t shoot free throws? That’s all. I’m done.
VERY frustrating seeing all of those misses from the charity stripe, including front ends of one-and-ones. Coach Hurley talked about the missed free throws in his post game press conference after being asked a question at the 3:14 mark.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If nobody sees this team becoming generally better, I don’t know what they’re watching. They have big weaknesses, but they are pretty competitive. I don’t care what anyone thinks about Jalen, but teams have to respect him in ways they willl never respect Smith. Then Gilbert went down with a fluke injury that has nothing to do with his shoulder and our chances were cut drastically. Temple took major advantage of his absence. Not many teams look good missing their two best ball handlers. Gilbert going down when it was anybody’s game coupled with lousy FT shooting was a killer. Polley especially you’d hope would be much better at the line. It’s positive that he got to the line. The fast break choices were abominable.

Wilson and Adams play like green players. Carlton has been much more consistent lately than Fishy gives him credit for and is miles ahead of guys like Armstrong at the same career point without the same kind of cast.

This team is watchable. The last three years teams were watchable for about 10 minutes a game. Our nucleus of potential returnees isn’t half bad. Hopefully Gilbert will avoid all the snake bites. If the new guys next year play to their supposed ability we could be pretty good. More decent players could come our way. Of course everyone was excited by Wilson too before he played a minute but I wouldn’t give up on his looking a lot better next year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Carlton is way ahead of schedule. He’s an all conference player next season. I thought eventually he maybe could get to that level as a senior.

I've been hard on him. I never thought he'd reach that level. I had him at serviceable (ie replaceable) center as a Sr. And backup to a real starter as a Jr. I might be wrong.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I know folks are tired of hearing this but it was a tough loss in a winnable game
Josh and Christian had nice games and AG showed why he is so important to this particular team
If Josh can do this on a consistent basis it takes some of the pressure off Dan Hurley looking for more than 1 quality center and instead get some versatile 4's
JA and AG accidently hurt by the same team - amazing
putting BA on Alston was idiocy
How many games has UConn we lost due to poor FT shooting? - enough to take them out of the .500 season record
Vital should start - what is the teaching moment?
I can hint as to what should be taught and/or practiced ad nausea- FT shooting
Oh well - on to a winless team in the league - please don't give them their first win- that would be a complete disaster

The teaching moment for Vital is conditioning him to embrace coming off the bench next season and being a sniper.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Nice move not starting Vital again. That’ll teach him! Oh wait, we went down 9-0 and literally started 0 shooters in a game we supposedly wanted to win.
I agree. Strange. I would love to know the strategy behind that.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Carlton is way ahead of schedule. He’s an all conference player next season. I thought eventually he maybe could get to that level as a senior.
I don't know about ahead of schedule. I have been 50-50 with Carlton this year. Yes, he played great last night. Showed some great moves and dunked with a purpose. He gets the rebound and knows exactly what to do with the ball. He is the trigger for fast breaks. Now this was Temple. A very very good team. I was used to see him beat up Tulane, but stink up the joint against a top team. Last night he had me off the recliner pumping fist more than once. He was inconsistent through out the year. Congrats Josh on last night. Well done. But we still need some beef.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don't know about ahead of schedule. I have been 50-50 with Carlton this year. Yes, he played great last night. Showed some great moves and dunked with a purpose. He gets the rebound and knows exactly what to do with the ball. He is the trigger for fast breaks. Now this was Temple. A very very good team. I was used to see him beat up Tulane, but stink up the joint against a top team. Last night he had me off the recliner pumping fist more than once. He was inconsistent through out the year. Congrats Josh on last night. Well done. But we still need some beef.
The thing is, he’s a soph, and his progression isn’t unusual, especially for a big. It would be great if kids came in as finished products, but even a premier HS stud like Drummond wasn’t consistent in his one year with us. Carlton is surprising me, but I can’t remember any of our bigs make such obvious progress during one season and has no front court players with the inside presence to complement him.

C

Chief00

If nobody sees this team becoming generally better, I don’t know what they’re watching. They have big weaknesses, but they are pretty competitive. I don’t care what anyone thinks about Jalen, but teams have to respect him in ways they willl never respect Smith. Then Gilbert went down with a fluke injury that has nothing to do with his shoulder and our chances were cut drastically. Temple took major advantage of his absence. Not many teams look good missing their two best ball handlers. Gilbert going down when it was anybody’s game coupled with lousy FT shooting was a killer. Polley especially you’d hope would be much better at the line. It’s positive that he got to the line. The fast break choices were abominable.

Wilson and Adams play like green players. Carlton has been much more consistent lately than Fishy gives him credit for and is miles ahead of guys like Armstrong at the same career point without the same kind of cast.

This team is watchable. The last three years teams were watchable for about 10 minutes a game. Our nucleus of potential returnees isn’t half bad. Hopefully Gilbert will avoid all the snake bites. If the new guys next year play to their supposed ability we could be pretty good. More decent players could come our way. Of course everyone was excited by Wilson too before he played a minute but I wouldn’t give up on his looking a lot better next year.

True, they got totally blown out last season in many games. This season we don’t know how to close out games and throughout the game there’s been some theme issues (poor shooting, unforced turnovers, lack of rebounding, foul shooting (attempts and conversions), winning on the road but we are generally close at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
True, they got totally blown out last season in many games. This season we don’t know how to close out games and throughout the Gabe’s there’s been some thene issues (poor shooting, unforced turnovers, lack of rebounding, foul shooting (attempts and conversions, winning on the road ) but we are generally close at the end.

Yup. Last night were up a deuce can when AG went down. We had momentum. Who knows the outcome if that doesn’t happen to him, but we weren’t the same afterward , especially stopping penetration.

It’s hard to know what this team would’ve been like if Carlton had Yakwe or Diarra banging inside. I don’t know that Polley will ever be more than a stand up gunner with an occasional drive. I think that’s an ok role for him if the other forward is any kind of inside presence. Carlton clearly has progressed to a point where if he’s not doubled, and stays aggressive, he’s tough to defend. If he can improve his passing he’ll be a pretty well round player. Hurley said Josh is pretty good facing from 10 feet and wants him add that.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
we had entire stretches of games during '15-'16 and '16-'17 where we would repeatedly go up and down the court bricking layups. Uncontested and contested. we still miss them, but it's not an all game affair like it had been

I don't agree with this. We miss layups every game and fairly consistently.

Who is Terrance?

He's not real, just a myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member