Chief’s Briefs - Temple Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No he's not, on either count.
Why would you say that?

I stand corrected on height. Probably 6'9. But just try and tell me about Carlton's athleticism. On his best day, he's below average.

In fact, he's one of, if not THE, least athletic centers we've had in 25+ years. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone, but I can't think of a better example at the moment.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected on height. Probably 6'9. But just try and tell me about Carlton's athleticism. On his best day, he's below average.

In fact, he's one of, if not THE, least athletic centers we've had in 25+ years. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone, but I can't think of a better example at the moment.
You probably have a 12 inch vertical fatty

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I stand corrected on height. Probably 6'9. But just try and tell me about Carlton's athleticism.
Thanks for granting me the first assertion.

As to the second, I have no need to "just try and tell [you] about his athleticism." I was quoting your words claiming "zero." Don't you agree that speaks for itself?

Again, why would you say either?
Where are you wanting to go with this?

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score

I agree earlier but after the last few weeks and last night don't know, some of his moves flash athleticism. Good footwork at the least, which is very important for a big man.

Reaction Score
YUjACfF.gif

View attachment 40678
Appears to be about .87 hilton units to me

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As to the second, I have no need to "just try and tell [you] about his athleticism." I was quoting your words claiming "zero." Don't you agree that speaks for itself?

Oh for god's sake, you know what someone means when they say "he has zero athleticism". It doesn't mean that literally. A physical impossibility for a player. If you spent more than 1 minute on the internet you know that. And I know you have. Don't purposefully play dumb.

Again, why would you say either?
Where are you wanting to go with this?

Why wouldn't I? I originally mentioned it in the context of him not being an NBA player. Athleticism is one of the single most important parts of making it in the NBA. It was entirely and wholly germane to that discussion.

He's not a future NBA player.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Oh for god's sake, you know what someone means when they say "he has zero athleticism". It doesn't mean that literally. A physical impossibility for a player. If you spent more than 1 minute on the internet you know that. And I know you have. Don't purposefully play dumb.

Why wouldn't I? I originally mentioned it in the context of him not being an NBA player. Athleticism is one of the single most important parts of making it in the NBA. It was entirely and wholly germane to that discussion.

He's not a future NBA player.
Your first post in this thread warranted the Like I gave it. @businesslawyer 's two posts warranted the the Likes you gave them. Then, for God knows what reason, you overreached by misrepresenting his height (since corrected), used the word "zero" (which you now take offense for being called out on), and elaborated by labeling him the least athletic UConn center in 25 years (which is by leagues more extreme than casting doubt on his suitability for the NBA).

By arguable contrast, 'all' I did was point out factual inaccuracies and ask why you felt it necessary to go deeper into the matter that others had already handled with sufficient contextual and greater emotional sensitivity.

We both agree that he's progressed nicely, so what's the point of upping the ante to squash the enthusiasm of someone said he could get looks from the pros (which is your "germane"-ness argument), when that poster didn't specifically mention the NBA, and it didn't show up as a live question anywhere in the thread?

Fart away...

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Then, for God knows what reason, you overreached by misrepresenting his height (since corrected), used the word "zero" (which you now take offense for being called out on), and elaborated by labeling him the least athletic UConn center in 25 years (which is by leagues more extreme than casting doubt on his suitability for the NBA).

I don't take offense, but I do recognize it as silly complaint. It's being either deliberately obtuse or disingenuous, which is fine if you want to do that, but certainly not productive on the internet (even tho quite common).

If you can name a less athletic starting center than Carlton in the last 25 years, I'm all ears. I can't think of one. Statement stands.

By arguable contrast, 'all' I did was point out factual inaccuracies and ask why you felt it necessary to go deeper into the matter that others had already handled with sufficient contextual and greater emotional sensitivity.

But you didn't do that. I know you are smart enough to realize that when the phrase "zero athleticism" pops up, it's quite obvious it's hyperbole meant to drive home a point.

By pretending it's literal, you are being deliberately disingenuous. Which has nothing to do with truth and fact. It's tilting at windmills. I'm certainly going to point that out if it occurs.

We both agree that he's progressed nicely, so what's the point of upping the ante to squash the enthusiasm of someone said he could get looks from the pros

It's not squashing anybodies enthusiasm to simply state that he's not physically built for the NBA. There's no shame in that. Many, many, many players at the college level aren't.

In fact, it should bolster your enthusiasm, because if you like Carlton's game, then you'd be comforted to know he's a guaranteed 4 year player.

That Carlton is doing better than I would have thought, is an even greater credit to him, when you consider his lack of athleticism. He's overcoming that deficiency in other ways, which is great to see.

(which is your "germane"-ness argument), when that poster didn't specifically mention the NBA, and it didn't show up as a live question anywhere in the thread?

"He could get looks from pros after next season" refers to NBA interest. Every time. Has anyone commented ever on Euro scouts watching a kid junior year? I've never heard of it. And he certainly isn't talking about Wall Street.

So the vast majority of people will make that simple mental leap. You don't have to if you don't want, but I'm just telling you what everyone is thinking when they read that. It's not ambiguous.

Fart away...

Can't believe someone'd poo poo on classic Monte Python...

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It's not squashing anybodies enthusiasm to simply state that he's not physically built for the NBA.

Not if that's what you did, but you didn't.
@businesslawyer did, and you appropriately recognized this.
Your hyperbole added nothing new, helpful, or positive to the discussion, and you've continued to decline addressing the question of why bother punching down at an overenthusiastic fan, or someone two weeks out of his teens, or both. Your main complaint seems to be that I'm throwing flames at a flame thrower. I'm not sure whether to term that disingenuous or overly fragile, but I'm surprised that you might not anticipate it when you set the tone.

Reaction Score

Carlton has, for the past ten games or so, shown some really good ability to block shots and that takes some athleticism. Think about how he looked in the WSU game at home.

If it's his jumping ability you're referencing, that seems to be improved lately too and more work with Sal should help.

Reaction Score
I am buying in regards to Josh stock especially considering he has 2 years left to play for the Huskies. Who cares if he is going to play in the NBA. I hope Josh does not care right now. That will take care of itself. The object is whether UCONN is going to start winning most ballgames again. He has shown good timing blocking shots, his post moves are quicker, he has the size to hold his ground. He is also starting to run the floor better. If we have a full slate of killer guards and a decent 4 Josh will be a big problem for our opponents.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Carlton has, for the past ten games or so, shown some really good ability to block shots and that takes some athleticism. Think about how he looked in the WSU game at home.

If it's his jumping ability you're referencing, that seems to be improved lately too and more work with Sal should help.

Blocks can be had a lot of ways (athleticism, quickness, length, timing, fundamentals, spacing, intelligence, instinct...). Look at Thabeet. Not terribly athletic but he had a bajillion blocks. Carlton falls into the the fundamentals/timing/intelligence category. There's a lot of ways to skin a cat.

He's not fast, nor quick. But makes up with it with good footwork, and greatly improved defensive fundamentals. He's earthbound type, which can improve a little, but he's not going to be an above the rim player. He'll get strong with Sal no doubt. He needs that.

Reaction Score
Diarra is 6'6. Carlton definitely closer to 6'9, 6'10.
View attachment 40677
Anectodal evidence so take with a grain of salt, but I spent some time playing pick up last spring with some of the guys and walked past others Diarra and Sid are taller than 6'6. I say this as soneone who is a quarter inch shy of 6'6 in socks and they both had at least an inch or two over me (granted these guys were bball shoes everywhere). If I had to put a number on it I would expect mamadou to measure 6'6.5 in socks and Sid 6'7. I don't remember standing next to Josh to really get a feel on his height.

P.S. CV is short as duck* man the fact he put up some of the rebound numbers he does blows my mind

Reaction Score

Agree on the fact that Josh could use some more bounce. However as someone who hasn't watched a full game since Jalen went down I saw in the highlights from the temple game Josh had quit a few dunks that I don't think he could've done at the beginning of the year. Maybe this off season they could add a few inches to his vert

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Agree on the fact that Josh could use some more bounce. However as someone who hasn't watched a full game since Jalen went down I saw in the highlights from the temple game Josh had quit a few dunks that I don't think he could've done at the beginning of the year. Maybe this off season they could add a few inches to his vert

If he can that would be great. You notice his lack of ups especially when he's caught underneath. Instead of being able to power it back up, he easily gets stuff/altered by the defenses arms. A lot of that has to do with lift.

I'm more concerned about how much overall strength he puts on, because that's where he can compensate most for the other deficiencies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I actually think Josh is taller than when he came to UConn. Relative to Polley there seems to be a bigger difference. It wouldn't surprise me if Josh is an actual 6'10" now. He seems tall relative to our opponents as well.

C

Chief00

I actually think Josh is taller than when he came to UConn. Relative to Polley there seems to be a bigger difference. It wouldn't surprise me if Josh is an actual 6'10" now. He seems tall relative to our opponents as well.

Agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104