Chief’s Briefs - Seton Hall Edition | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Seton Hall Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Danny has to get a lot better at adjusting his game plan in flight.
Your analysis and lot of comments were really good. Part of my "questioning" is not only "in game adjustments" (which I see as not improving ) but just basic strategy decisions.

Opening lineup has no "who is going to hunt and get his shot" except Sanogo. All the other 4 are complementary scorers at best (Whaley pretty much not at all and Adams just slightly more so).
Early turnovers and hard to make, shot clock running out efforts because no one wants the ball to make a play.
Missed shots because the starters are not good shooters when contested. No one to take pressure off and cause opponent to focus on and leave others open.
The UConn weave accomplishes nothing, is a substitute for attacking the basket and results in clock ending hero ball.

Down 5 in last 5 minutes the key on defense is stop penetration, no fouls and any 3 pointer is contested. Exact opposite of Hurley strategy.
Last 5 minutes UConn needs to get into front court and attack quickly (should do this all the time), actually Gaffney took half the shot clock to get to within 30 feet of the basket, passed to big and got it right back so now has ball 30 feet from basket with 12 seconds to go. This is just crazy.

C

Chief00

Your analysis and lot of comments were really good. Part of my "questioning" is not only "in game adjustments" (which I see as not improving ) but just basic strategy decisions.

Opening lineup has no "who is going to hunt and get his shot" except Sanogo. All the other 4 are complementary scorers at best (Whaley pretty much not at all and Adams just slightly more so).
Early turnovers and hard to make, shot clock running out efforts because no one wants the ball to make a play.
Missed shots because the starters are not good shooters when contested. No one to take pressure off and cause opponent to focus on and leave others open.
The UConn weave accomplishes nothing, is a substitute for attacking the basket and results in clock ending hero ball.

Down 5 in last 5 minutes the key on defense is stop penetration, no fouls and any 3 pointer is contested. Exact opposite of Hurley strategy.
Last 5 minutes UConn needs to get into front court and attack quickly (should do this all the time), actually Gaffney took half the shot clock to get to within 30 feet of the basket, passed to big and got it right back so now has ball 30 feet from basket with 12 seconds to go. This is just crazy.
Thank you. When Bigs get in switches up high guarding guards, fouls are a likely outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Jackson on the point in the press with agile alert ball hawkers behind him is the receipe.. Put Bouk, Gaf, Whaley and Song behind him and we have something.

C

Chief00

Jackson on the point in the press with agile alert ball hawkers behind him is the receipe.. Put Bouk, Gaf, Whaley and Song behind him and we have something.
Agree but maybe with Martin over Whaley?

Reaction Score
Bouknight situation and wiseman are completely different. For one he had ncaa penalties and he was already a top 3 pick. Secondly a big man with his size skill is unique there’s a lot more athletic guards/wings that bouk is comparable to.
That's why they're different as prospects, and why a player could choose to sit out, which is not the conversation. Chief said NBA teams don't like players who sit out for personal reasons, which Wiseman did and he still went #2 overall

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
@Husky68 has collectively captured all the basketball strategy, execution points here.

My comment and I hope its infrequent about Hurley and other coaches, (because generally I'm not comfortable with commenting on our head coach) is that the outrage about the O is justified on balance. This is a major concern at this point in the season. Secondly, we have to admit we were collectively outraged when Ollie ran that three-man weave and heave crap. It drove us mad.

We are seeing it again. Our pick n roll game and inside passing has elevated during Hurley's tenure relative to Ollie but their is a lack of flow and playmaking action out there and I'm certain it's as hard as it looks to score. Ball-handlers in the weave-action have to be play-makers which means eyes-up and attacking rim.

I like how Nova, when running that three man action, have the following which makes them so effective offensively with only one really high-level athlete (Jermaine Samuels) among their top nine, ten, guys:

Outstanding spacing

Decisive drive, playmake, and kick game. They break that three-man at a moment's weakness with a drive, crab dribble into post move kick-out. They all do it.

Players square-up in triple threat better than anyone in the country with the exception of the Zags, maybe.

Remember Sam Young of Pitt, he of the "gotcha again" deadly pump fake, well Villanova has an entire team trained to ball-fake like Sam Young, um nice offensive move to have, if you can shoot a little.

Their players improve as shooters.

Ultimately, a hunger it seems, to exploit a defense. With Nova you watch, sans the Johnnie's game, with the impression that they can generate points and fouls each possession. We have a great deal of talent out there now and need to shore up mental deficiencies that hold a team back, including an unwillingness to accept and execute roles at a high level. All teams, particularly teams with talent have to execute assigned roles otherwise the overall product is mediocre.

Reaction Score
@Husky68 has collectively captured all the basketball strategy, execution points here.

My comment and I hope its infrequent about Hurley and other coaches, (because generally I'm not comfortable with commenting on our head coach) is that the outrage about the O is justified on balance. This is a major concern at this point in the season. Secondly, we have to admit we were collectively outraged when Ollie ran that three-man weave and heave crap. It drove us mad.

We are seeing it again. Our pick n roll game and inside passing has elevated during Hurley's tenure relative to Ollie but their is a lack of flow and playmaking action out there and I'm certain it's as hard as it looks to score. Ball-handlers in the weave-action have to be play-makers which means eyes-up and attacking rim.

I like how Nova, when running that three man action, have the following which makes them so effective offensively with only one really high-level athlete (Jermaine Samuels) among their top nine, ten, guys:

Outstanding spacing

Decisive drive, playmake, and kick game. They break that three-man at a moment's weakness with a drive, crab dribble into post move kick-out. They all do it.

Players square-up in triple threat better than anyone in the country with the exception of the Zags, maybe.

Remember Sam Young of Pitt, he of the "gotcha again" deadly pump fake, well Villanova has an entire team trained to ball-fake like Sam Young, um nice offensive move to have, if you can shoot a little.

Ultimately, a hunger it seems, to exploit a defense. With Nova you watch, sans the Johnnie's game, with the impression that they can generate points and fouls each possession. We have a great deal of talent out there now and need to shore up mental deficiencies that hold a team back, including an unwillingness to accept and execute roles at a high level. All teams, particularly teams with talent have to execute assigned roles otherwise the overall product is mediocre.
So how do you explain that despite everything you've said, our offense is still incredibly efficient and one of the more efficient offenses in the country?

Reaction Score
So how do you explain that despite everything you've said, our offense is still incredibly efficient and one of the more efficient offenses in the country?
If UConn's offense is incredibly efficient that's quite the calculation. Show me (with all the details) so I can understand.

Viewed 4 important stats shown by NCAA 340 teams and here was UConn's place:

FG% 43.2% rank 220 (this rank is real low given not that bad at 3PT shooting, must be real bad inside the arc shooting %)
FT% 71.7% rank 134
3PT% 35.7% rank 91
TO's per game 12.5 rank 99

Not sure how team that shoots and handles the ball per above (more or less an average to mediocre shooting and ball handling team) could be "incredibly efficient" on offense.

Reaction Score
If UConn's offense is incredibly efficient that's quite the calculation. Show me (with all the details) so I can understand.

Viewed 4 important stats shown by NCAA 340 teams and here was UConn's place:

FG% 43.2% rank 220 (this rank is real low given not that bad at 3PT shooting, must be real bad inside the arc shooting %)
FT% 71.7% rank 134
3PT% 35.7% rank 91
TO's per game 12.5 rank 99

Not sure how team that shoots and handles the ball per above (more or less an average to mediocre shooting and ball handling team) could be "incredibly efficient" on offense.
We're 39th in the country with a 111.5 ORTG, the factor you're missing from the above percentages is we're an elite offensive rebounding team. So while there's lots of misses we're rebounding and scoring more of those misses than most teams in the country

Reaction Score
That's why they're different as prospects, and why a player could choose to sit out, which is not the conversation. Chief said NBA teams don't like players who sit out for personal reasons, which Wiseman did and he still went #2 overall
I see your point, still think wiseman is more the exception than the rule in a circumstance like this.

C

Chief00

That’s not true when you look at the shooting percentages against the good teams. USC (34%}, Creighton (35% & 36%), Marquette (41%) and St John (40%). True, we shot 47% against Seton Hall but only 31% from 3. The numbers back up the eye test.

C

Chief00

Outstanding spacing

Thoughtful analysis. Hopefully, there will be plus adjustments when Boutnight returns. He was regularly being doubled teamed, which opens things up for other guys from 3 or on the offensive glass. Whaley’s offensive success early and recent falloff has a lot to do with this factor. Often he was left unguarded when James got the ball.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, it’s always a “defensive battle” for us because we can’t shoot. Too many long scoring droughts and strange decisions doubling on defense, leaving the wrong guys wide open for open 3 looks.

If Chief could change four Hurley things:
1) Quicker timeout to not to be lured into acceptable prolong bad offense.
2) End mindless doubling on defense. Double base on scouting report and hot hand.
3) Play Sanogo, Gaffney and Jackson more; Adams and Whaley less.
4) Polley is not a microwave off the bench, that experiment is a failure. He needs to start the game.

Give Seton Hall credit. They took advantage of what an incoherent defense gave them knocking down shots. Their defense was vanilla but that’s the way to play us without Bouknight. No need for unnecessary fouls or doubling guys who can’t shoot. The full court pressure applied at the right time did reverse momentum in the second half. They made 3’s and FT’s.

I don’t think IW in the line-up gets us off to a smooth start. He’s not smooth on offense and on defense while a good shot blocker makes poor decisions.

Am I wrong that 1/2 way though the first half the only time we went to the line was on a 3 point shot? Even being a poor shooting team that means we are not running good offense.

Chief would start the following line-up: Cole, Gaffney, Martin, Sanogo and Polley. Jackson first guy off the bench. Jackson made some nice passes today and good defense in spots. Gaffney is one of a few guys who knows how to get to the line and make FT’s. He showed his athleticism today that Chief has seen in practice.

Sanogo, when he can stay out of foul trouble is a star. Great hands, good footwork and soft touch. I love his patience and reading of the defense.

Team made nice comeback but dug too deep a hole. Again missed key foul shots late in the second half. Also, committed foolish fouls today and did not dominate on the boards. Had big guys 20 feet out on D abd not available for rebounds.

Big picture, this is the game Gaffney and Jackson made their statement for more playing time. Hurley needs to scrap his current rotations and associated playing time. Tough loss and we lost the game in the first half.

Not sure why no Whaley despite the numbers the things he does off the stats sheet are still very good. We need him to score more yeah but you want to play Polley and Gaffney without Whaley? You just cut down on your stops tremendously.

We got beat down there stretch despite scoring because we couldn't get stops period. We need to stop forgetting about who we are on that end. jackson seems to fit on the D end he makes things difficult for the other team with his length. Gaffney showed something on O for once so if he's playing like that give him more minutes but again, can't have 2 guys who can't guard the ball in the game too much at the same time. Tyler had one rebound it was off his own miss, he watched a lot of 50/50 balls from the perimeter quite honestly. He needs to stick his nose in there more often or shouldn't see the floor. But Whaley is fine, just needs to finish other than that he's the least of our problems.

The rest I agree with for the most part.

Reaction Score
Tyler Polley plays like Rashard Anderson. Basically a one trick pony.

The difference is that Rashard had guards who knew how to distribute the ball.

Reaction Score
Tyler Polley plays like Rashard Anderson. Basically a one trick pony.

The difference is that Rashard had guards who knew how to distribute the ball.
Rashad was one of my favorite players all time, but it was much more complex than just gaurds finding him in good spots. Rashad was excellent at running off screens, and putting himself in open positions. Polley struggles with this, and I'm sure it has a lot to do with his ACL surgery. He can't move great laterally, so he's kinda stiff running around trying to get open off the screen.

Reaction Score
Its pretty obvious that we are not a good shooting team. That affects the spacing , the defense can sag the middle making dribble penetration next to impossible. A Bouknight return dramatically improves everyone's chance of getting open looks.
Our PG situation is basically untenable. They dribble, dribble, dribble....while everyone else stands around. Martin got 4 shots against Seton Hall and he has been our most consistent offensive player.
IW and BA have been so bad on offense, they don't even need to be covered.

Reaction Score
Its pretty obvious that we are not a good shooting team.
Good shooting has been a serious problem since the 2014 NC. We have not had a shooter with dead aim and the ability to sink a bucket (preferably a 3) when it is needed at a crucial time in a game, a la "Rip" Hamilton, KEA, Gordon, Kemba or Bazz. The problem is actually larger in that we currently do not have shooters that can make 2 or 3-pointers during non-crucial points in the game, not to mention missing what should be makeable layups.

Reaction Score
Good shooting has been a serious problem since the 2014 NC. We have not had a shooter with dead aim and the ability to sink a bucket (preferably a 3) when it is needed at a crucial time in a game, a la "Rip" Hamilton, KEA, Gordon, Kemba or Bazz. The problem is actually larger in that we currently do not have shooters that can make 2 or 3-pointers during non-crucial points in the game, not to mention missing what should be makeable layups.
exactly. pretty obvious.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Bouknight situation and wiseman are completely different. For one he had ncaa penalties and he was already a top 3 pick. Secondly a big man with his size skill is unique there’s a lot more athletic guards/wings that bouk is comparable to.
My post was about chef saying Bouknight was sitting because of a personal agenda. He posted that Thursday night and deleted it 36 hours later when proven wrong. Now he claims the mods deleted his BS post.

Reaction Score
When Rashad came in the game I was totally confident he would do some damage and go microwave , don't feel that and have never felt that way with Polley pre-injury or not. Like the kid but his moments have been few and far between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom