Chief’s Briefs - Seton Hall Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Seton Hall Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Maybe for this. Have you apologized yet?

View attachment 64344
Why would I apology for a true argument, which was successful and helped influence someone to make a good decision. A former FBI agent, then private investigator, who did the Pacer background checks - summered next door to Chief in the late 90’s. A first round pick is a big investment with a team and they informally interview lots of people - especially support staff who might be more frank than coaches with recruiting agendas etc. it’s important that those people understand a guy wants to compete and put the team first. Chief has a special attachment to Bouknight going back to the dam break and I had his back in September of his freshman year when guys like you jumped ship. Bouknight and Chief are on the same page.
But, as usual your post is jealous nonsense, because they quarantine Chief’s Briefs a few games ago for no reason other than it was long and got auto quarantined. At any rate, that was the official explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Why would I apology for a true argument, which was successful and helpped influence someone to make a good decision. A former FBI agent, then private investigator, who did the Pacer background checks - summered next door to Chief in the late 90’s. A first round pick is a big investment with a team and they informally interview lots of people - especially support staff who might be more frank than coaches with recruiting agendas etc. it’s important that those people understand a guy wants to compete and put the team first. Chief has a special attachment to Bouknight going back to the dam break and I had his back in September of his freshman year when guys like you jumped ship. Bouknight and Chief are on the same page.
But, as usual your post is jealous nonsense, because they quarantine Chief’s Bruef a few games ago fir no reason other than it was long and got auto quarantined. At any rate, that was the official explanation.
That post was from Thursday night's Coach's Show thread my friend. And only your posts are missing.

Reaction Score
Someone always wants a different starting lineup. I actually do not. At least I haven't. With Jackson back and Bouk hopefully returning soon, there will be changes in pt. Bouk will be back in the starting lineup. But I am not interested in the revolving door starting lineup just because someone didn't play their best in the previous game.

I am very happy with the progress of the team and the decisions the coaching staff has made. They see the team everyday in practice. I have 100% faith in their decisions. All the problems that seem to stress our fanbase will fade away as we get healthy.

The pt of Brandon Adams has never been much of an issue. At least not an issue we could do much about. He was going to play as long as Bouk and Jackson and Akok were out. So we've been squabbling about a few extra minutes that could of gone to one of the other backups. With Bouk and Jackson returning, Adams pt will likely drop to close to nothing.

Coaching staff needs to keep doing exactly what they are doing. The Bouk injury has done exactly what we hoped it might. Others have been forced to improve. By that, I mean the PGs have improved.

We've got 1 month for Bouk to return and the team to start palying well together. I think it's totally possible. Our best basketball is ahead of us.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
1. If Polley is to play at all he needs to be more mobile and physical in looking to shed his defender like Rip and Ray and learn to rebound and play defense. DH needs to devise a way that others can help Tyler shed his defender.
2. Andre showed things today that we haven't seen and I think with more PT and conditioning he could be a huge asset for this team.
3. Some of the other bigs need to step up on D so Whalley isn't so exhausted and become ineffective on offense
4. Gaf was very good today, especially on the offensive end. To me it looks as if he shed some weight in past few weeks and he has become a bit quicker. This game is huge for his confidence going forward. He is the PG that is needed going forward.
5. Adams is a great kid but he can not play more than 10 minutes a game unless he has a hot shooting hand. There are only so many minutes to go around and he is receiving more than he deserves.
6. The Coles PG experiment has to end - he is not a PG and it appears was never comfortable in that position.
7. Sanogo had a fairly productive game but those freshman mental mistakes are frustrating - he will learn and be a huge player in the days/years ahead
8. Starting lineup I would like to see while Bouk is still out - Sanogo/Gaff/Whalley/Andre/Martin
9. Seton Hall was much more prepared for UConn and this game. It was a winnable game but when you fall behind like UConn did, it makes any comeback hard - UConn never led and that is not good at home. The Hall was lucky in some of their shots and some questionable calls - they are not a better team.
10, DH remains an enigma. Yes he's a rah rah guy who can recruit with the best of them. His game prep and bench coaching is not NBE caliber - both not even close. For someone who has been around great basketball coaching during his playing days and being a former PG, I am amazed at the lack of any offensive plan for this team. His substitution patterns are erratic at best and his decision making such as when to call TOs or sparking a technical is horrible and virtually non existent. I feel that he needs to hire an experienced former head coach as an assistant/mentor to help him with decisions - Yes TMoore was a HC but I'm thinking more experience at a higher level. I love K Free but still think there were stronger resumes out there.

Tough loss - Bouk can't return quick enough - this team needs to come out of the gate hungrier and prepared mentally - this loss is not the end of the world but the St John's loss looms larger

Let's regroup Huskies and get to the Dance

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, it’s always a “defensive battle” for us because we can’t shoot. Too many long scoring droughts and strange decisions doubling on defense, leaving the wrong guys wide open for open 3 looks.

If Chief could change three Hurley things:
1) Quicker timeout to not to be lured into acceptable prolong bad offense.
2) End mindless doubling on defense. Double base on scouting report and hot hand.
3) Play Sanogo, Gaffney and Jackson more; Adams and Whaley less.
4) Polley is not a microwave off the bench, that experiment is a failure. He needs to start the game.

Give Seton Hall credit. They took advantage of what an incoherent defense gave them knocking down shots. Their defense was vanilla but that’s the way to play us without Bouknight. No need for unnecessary fouls or doubling guys who can’t shoot. The full court pressure applied at the right time did reverse momentum in the second half. They made 3’s abd FT’s.

I don’t think IW in the line-up gets us off to a smooth start. He’s not smooth on offense and on defense while a good shot blocker makes poor decisions.

Am I wrong that 1/2 way though the first half the only time we went to the line was on a 3 point shot? Even being a poor shooting team that means we are not running good offense.

Chief would start the following line-up: Cole, Gaffney, Martin, Sanogo and Polley. Jackson first guy off the bench. Jackson made some nice passes today and good defense in spots. Gaffney is one of a few guys who knows how to get to the line and make FT’s. He showed his athleticism today that Chief has seen in practice.

Sanogo, when he can stay out of foul trouble is a star. Great hands, good footwork and soft touch. I love his patience and reading of the defense.

Team made nice comeback but dug too deep a hole. Again missed key foul shots late in the second half. Also, committed foolish fouls today and did not dominate on the boards. Had big guys 20 feet out on D abd not available for rebounds.

Big picture, this is the game Gaffney and Jackson made their statement for more playing time. Hurley needs to scrap his current rotations and associated playing time. Tough loss and we lost the game in the first half.

Not sure why you are saying Polley should start, I’d prefer he not play at all. He’s almost an automatic basket for the other team on the defensive end.

Gaffney showed deep range today. Cole can shoot. Martin can shoot. I’m not worried about outside shooting. Today we lost because the other team was unconscious from 3, and our guys came out like they just woke up from a nap. No hustle, no effort, killed on the boards. They improved but not enough and Seton Hall simply made tough shots.

Gaffney did a better job attacking today. He’s gaining confidence which is really all he needed. Cole still gets swallowed up and trapped too easily. Our game plan was too easy today, they knew we wanted to go to Sanogo, played their biggest lineup to stop it. We didn’t adjust quickly enough. Jackson transforms the offense and defense. He has to play a lot more. I’d make him the sixth man as you suggest, or move Martin to SG and start Jax at 3. At least until Bouk returns.

Reaction Score
Starters matter more when coach always plays them untol the under 16 TO. Some more flexibility there would be bwneficial if Hurley does want to reward certain guys with the start.

C

Chief00

That post was from Thursday night's Coach's Show thread my friend. And only your posts are missing.
I think they deleted all post after a certain time on that thread. At any rate, I am glad he made, in my view, the right decision.
Not sure why you are saying Polley should start, I’d prefer he not play at all. He’s almost an automatic basket for the other team on the defensive end.

Gaffney showed deep range today. Cole can shoot. Martin can shoot. I’m not worried about outside shooting. Today we lost because the other team was unconscious from 3, and our guys came out like they just woke up from a nap. No hustle, no effort, killed on the boards. They improved but not enough and Seton Hall simply made tough shots.

Gaffney did a better job attacking today. He’s gaining confidence which is really all he needed. Cole still gets swallowed up and trapped too easily. Our game plan was too easy today, they knew we wanted to go to Sanogo, played their biggest lineup to stop it. We didn’t adjust quickly enough. Jackson transforms the offense and defense. He has to play a lot more. I’d make him the sixth man as you suggest, or move Martin to SG and start Jax at 3. At least until Bouk returns.
You are not worried about shooting? Half our games, we haven’t scored out of the 60’s. FG% against better teams: USC (34%), Creighton 2 games (35% snd 36%), Marquette (41%), St John (40%). Every game against a good team seems like a rock fight game to me because we can’t shoot well. Of course, I like Jackson more than Polley but because Jackson is more versitile I like him as 6 man - a role Polley is not suited for because at best he’s one dimensional.
i agree Jackson needs to play more. He is our best passer by far and makes game changing plays. He can defend the 1-4 and handles the ball fairly well. He’s a better rebounder too. So Jackson can be plugged in to meet any of those needs. So I don’t disagree with your assessment, and I think he will start - but right now, he’s just back from a wrist injury snd given his flexibility I think he could be the first guy off the bench for 2-4 positions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Really disappointed that Polley didn't do more from 3 today. Needed some firepower on offensive without Bouk and didn't get it.
Polley was well guarded. He cannot dribble and create a shot. He needs to be stationary and set to get the ball and make a successful shot. I am not criticizing him in any way. They need to get him free to shoot. It is just what I see.

Reaction Score
Im sure danny has his reasons, But, there was a big mistake not playing #44 in some of the stretches. He’s clearly WAY better than all the other guys that were on the floor. The only one who could really make things happen. Suck it iup Dan, everyone makes mistakes. Play the kid. He IS MR. EXCITEMENT.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I think they deleted all post after a certain time on that thread. At any rate, I am glad he made, in my view, the right decision.
Again, just your post about Bouk sitting because of his "personal agenda" is missing. That was Thursday night. So You're saying your advice is why Coach is now saying Bouk is fighting to get back on the court?

C

Chief00

Again, just your post about Bouk sitting because of his "personal agenda" is missing. That was Thursday night. So You're saying your advice is why Coach is now saying Bouk is fighting to get back on the court?

Please don’t mess this game thread up anymore - create your own uninteresting thread that no one will read. The moderators can do what they want here in terms of deleting or quarantining threads or posts - I have no control over that and want to discuss basketball. But, I am glad Bouknight’s camp is aligned with that thinking now - so it’s all good. Things have evolved in his camp to more closely resemble what I also think is best for him, at least for this season.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
father lie GIF

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

You are not worried about shooting? Half our games, we haven’t scored out of the 60’s. FG% against better teams: USC (34%), Creighton 2 games (35% snd 36%), Marquette (41%), St John (40%). Every game against a good team seems like a rock fight game to me because we can’t shoot well. Of course, I like Jackson more than Polley but because Jackson is more versitile I like him as 6 man - a role Polley is not suited for because at best he’s one dimensional.
i agree Jackson needs to play more. He is our best passer by far and makes game changing plays. He can defend the 1-4 and handles the ball fairly well. He’s a better rebounder too. So Jackson can be plugged in to meet any of those needs. So I don’t disagree with your assessment, and I think he will start - but right now, he’s just back from a wrist injury snd given his flexibility I think he could be the first guy off the bench for 2-4 positions.

I think Bouk is the missing piece from a shooting perspective. Martin has improved and so has Gaff. Whatever Polley gives us as a shooter is more than offset by negatives in every other phase of the game. I haven’t seen Springs but aside from him, Polley is definitely the least effective player we have.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, it’s always a “defensive battle” for us because we can’t shoot. Too many long scoring droughts and strange decisions doubling on defense, leaving the wrong guys wide open for open 3 looks.

2) End mindless doubling on defense. Double base on scouting report and hot hand.
4) Polley is not a microwave off the bench, that experiment is a failure. He needs to start the game.

Give Seton Hall credit. They took advantage of what an incoherent defense gave them knocking down shots. Their defense was vanilla but that’s the way to play us without Bouknight. No need for unnecessary fouls or doubling guys who can’t shoot. The full court pressure applied at the right time did reverse momentum in the second half. They made 3’s and FT’s.

I don’t think IW in the line-up gets us off to a smooth start. He’s not smooth on offense and on defense while a good shot blocker makes poor decisions.

Am I wrong that 1/2 way though the first half the only time we went to the line was on a 3 point shot? Even being a poor shooting team that means we are not running good offense.

Chief would start the following line-up: Cole, Gaffney, Martin, Sanogo and Polley. Jackson first guy off the bench. Jackson made some nice passes today and good defense in spots. Gaffney is one of a few guys who knows how to get to the line and make FT’s. He showed his athleticism today that Chief has seen in practice.

Sanogo, when he can stay out of foul trouble is a star. Great hands, good footwork and soft touch. I love his patience and reading of the defense.

Team made nice comeback but dug too deep a hole. Again missed key foul shots late in the second half. Also, committed foolish fouls today and did not dominate on the boards. Had big guys 20 feet out on D abd not available for rebounds.

Big picture, this is the game Gaffney and Jackson made their statement for more playing time. Hurley needs to scrap his current rotations and associated playing time. Tough loss and we lost the game in the first half.
I will add to that, too many times there is little movement on offence. If you move the ball, the opponent has to work on D. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
Chief agree with most thoughts. DEFENSE is our strength . Must come out with that mindset.
Have been promoting Gaf a all along and from the showing Andre has to be on the floor.AS Cole and Martin yourbstarters.
Our defense has been troubling recently. Opponents' shooting percentage the last 6 games: S Hall 50%, Butler 35%, Creighton 51%, St John's 49%, Depaul 44%, and Butler 47%... only 1 good effort out of the 6. We're leaving way too many open perimeter shots.

Whaley is becoming less productive as the season has gone on, simulating Polley as a 1-trick pony. He had 4 blocks, but only 2 rebounds in 30 minutes!! The boxscore shows no TO's for him, but I distinctly remember 2 poor passes that resulted in TO's.

C

Chief00

Our defense has been troubling recently. Opponents' shooting percentage the last 6 games: S Hall 50%, Butler 35%, Creighton 51%, St John's 49%, Depaul 44%, and Butler 47%... only 1 good effort out of the 6. We're leaving way too many open perimeter shots.

Whaley is becoming less productive as the season has gone on, simulating Polley as a 1-trick pony. He had 4 blocks, but only 2 rebounds in 30 minutes!! The boxscore shows no TO's for him, but I distinctly remember 2 poor passes that resulted in TO's.
I agree on your Whaley observation. Other teams have figured out how to get him to over- react. He doesn’t finish strong offensively. The Bigs double teaming on defense 23 feet away from the hoop has been a disaster against good teams as your research demonstrates.
Calhoun always had analytical Blaney do the scouting report against the good teams, I would like to see a defense based on a scouting report rather than a system which produced the results you cited. Let’s put the egos aside.

C

Chief00

I think Bouk is the missing piece from a shooting perspective. Martin has improved and so has Gaff. Whatever Polley gives us as a shooter is more than offset by negatives in every other phase of the game. I haven’t seen Springs but aside from him, Polley is definitely the least effective player we have.
I think with Gaffney it’s all having the confidence to display what he did in practice.

Reaction Score

Give Seton Hall credit. They took advantage of what an incoherent defense gave them knocking down shots. Their defense was vanilla but that’s the way to play us without Bouknight. No need for unnecessary fouls or doubling guys who can’t shoot. The full court pressure applied at the right time did reverse momentum in the second half. They made 3’s and FT’s.

You get to sit in on practices?

Reaction Score
Lmao so we’re just gonna pretend like this didn’t happen?

Casual IQ

C

Chief00

1. If Polley is to play at all he needs to be more mobile and physical in looking to shed his defender like Rip and Ray and learn to rebound and play defense. DH needs to devise a way that others can help Tyler shed his defender.
2. Andre showed things today that we haven't seen and I think with more PT and conditioning he could be a huge asset for this team.
3. Some of the other bigs need to step up on D so Whalley isn't so exhausted and become ineffective on offense
4. Gaf was very good today, especially on the offensive end. To me it looks as if he shed some weight in past few weeks and he has become a bit quicker. This game is huge for his confidence going forward. He is the PG that is needed going forward.
5. Adams is a great kid but he can not play more than 10 minutes a game unless he has a hot shooting hand. There are only so many minutes to go around and he is receiving more than he deserves.
6. The Coles PG experiment has to end - he is not a PG and it appears was never comfortable in that position.
7. Sanogo had a fairly productive game but those freshman mental mistakes are frustrating - he will learn and be a huge player in the days/years ahead
8. Starting lineup I would like to see while Bouk is still out - Sanogo/Gaff/Whalley/Andre/Martin
9. Seton Hall was much more prepared for UConn and this game. It was a winnable game but when you fall behind like UConn did, it makes any comeback hard - UConn never led and that is not good at home. The Hall was lucky in some of their shots and some questionable calls - they are not a better team.
10, DH remains an enigma. Yes he's a rah rah guy who can recruit with the best of them. His game prep and bench coaching is not NBE caliber - both not even close. For someone who has been around great basketball coaching during his playing days and being a former PG, I am amazed at the lack of any offensive plan for this team. His substitution patterns are erratic at best and his decision making such as when to call TOs or sparking a technical is horrible and virtually non existent. I feel that he needs to hire an experienced former head coach as an assistant/mentor to help him with decisions - Yes TMoore was a HC but I'm thinking more experience at a higher level. I love K Free but still think there were stronger resumes out there.

Tough loss - Bouk can't return quick enough - this team needs to come out of the gate hungrier and prepared mentally - this loss is not the end of the world but the St John's loss looms larger

Let's regroup Huskies and get to the Dance
Lots of great points. I will say though what’s been holding Gaffney back is confidence not athleticism / he has that covered. Chief really can’t explain fully though why he hasn’t exhibited it in games. I have always been a big Gaffney guy and it’s very heart warming to see him doing what he’s capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom