Chief’s Briefs - Seton Hall Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Seton Hall Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Quite frankly, it’s always a “defensive battle” for us because we can’t shoot. Too many long scoring droughts and strange decisions doubling on defense, leaving the wrong guys wide open for open 3 looks.

If Chief could change four Hurley things:
1) Quicker timeout to not to be lured into acceptable prolong bad offense.
2) End mindless doubling on defense. Double base on scouting report and hot hand.
3) Play Sanogo, Gaffney and Jackson more; Adams and Whaley less.
4) Polley is not a microwave off the bench, that experiment is a failure. He needs to start the game.

Give Seton Hall credit. They took advantage of what an incoherent defense gave them knocking down shots. Their defense was vanilla but that’s the way to play us without Bouknight. No need for unnecessary fouls or doubling guys who can’t shoot. The full court pressure applied at the right time did reverse momentum in the second half. They made 3’s and FT’s.

I don’t think IW in the line-up gets us off to a smooth start. He’s not smooth on offense and on defense while a good shot blocker makes poor decisions.

Am I wrong that 1/2 way though the first half the only time we went to the line was on a 3 point shot? Even being a poor shooting team that means we are not running good offense.

Chief would start the following line-up: Cole, Gaffney, Martin, Sanogo and Polley. Jackson first guy off the bench. Jackson made some nice passes today and good defense in spots. Gaffney is one of a few guys who knows how to get to the line and make FT’s. He showed his athleticism today that Chief has seen in practice.

Sanogo, when he can stay out of foul trouble is a star. Great hands, good footwork and soft touch. I love his patience and reading of the defense.

Team made nice comeback but dug too deep a hole. Again missed key foul shots late in the second half. Also, committed foolish fouls today and did not dominate on the boards. Had big guys 20 feet out on D abd not available for rebounds.

Big picture, this is the game Gaffney and Jackson made their statement for more playing time. Hurley needs to scrap his current rotations and associated playing time. Tough loss and we lost the game in the first half.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The other item I will add is that Whaley made two horrible passes for turnovers in the 1st ~6 minutes. He also doesn't pose much of an offensive threat when opposing teams sag off him or leave him to double elsewhere. Not his best game, but he's still a formidable shotblocker.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, it’s always a “defensive battle” for us because we can’t shoot. Too many long scoring droughts and strange decisions doubling on defense, leaving the wrong guys wide open for open 3 looks.

If Chief could change three Hurley things:
2) End mindless doubling on defense. Double base on scouting report and hot hand.
4) Polley is not a microwave off the bench, that experiment is a failure. He needs to start the game.

Give Seton Hall credit. They took advantage of what an incoherent defense gave them knocking down shots. Their defense was vanilla but that’s the way to play us without Bouknight. No need for unnecessary fouls or doubling guys who can’t shoot. The full court pressure applied at the right time did reverse momentum in the second half. They made 3’s abd FT’s.

I don’t think IW in the line-up gets us off to a smooth start. He’s not smooth on offense and on defense while a good shot blocker makes poor decisions.

Am I wrong that 1/2 way though the first half the only time we went to the line was on a 3 point shot? Even being a poor shooting team that means we are not running good offense.

Chief would start the following line-up: Cole, Gaffney, Martin, Sanogo and Polley. Jackson first guy off the bench. Jackson made some nice passes today and good defense in spots. Gaffney is one of a few guys who knows how to get to the line and make FT’s. He showed his athleticism today that Chief has seen in practice.

Sanogo, when he can stay out of foul trouble is a star. Great hands, good footwork and soft touch. I love his patience and reading of the defense.

Team made nice comeback but dug too deep a hole. Again missed key foul shots late in the second half. Also, committed foolish fouls today and did not dominate on the boards. Had big guys 20 feet out on D abd not available for rebounds.

Big picture, this is the game Gaffney and Jackson made their statement for more playing time. Hurley needs to scrap his current rotations and associated playing time. Tough loss and we lost the game in the first half.

I agree with most of this but why start Polley? Why not start Jackson now over him? Jackson has way higher upside potential and did more in his first game back after injury than Polley was able to do.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Starting Polley over Jackson is embarrassing. It's not worth it to get Polley going when you can get an actually dynamic player minutes who is also a way better defender.

Really disappointed that Polley didn't do more from 3 today. Needed some firepower on offensive without Bouk and didn't get it.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Agreed our starting 5 can’t shoot worth a darn. It seems to me that Jackson was the only one who could find a pass to Polley in a position to shoot.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Really disappointed that Polley didn't do more from 3 today. Needed some firepower on offensive without Bouk and didn't get it.
Polley and Adams never were in a position to shoot

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
One might notice a pattern of us having a long layoff and playing teams that haven’t. Our 12th game, Hall’s 19th We start slow and come back strong. I think the schedule issues play a big part in our match ups. That and missing one of the best offensive players in the country who opens up the court for other players. Polley should benefit from Bouknights return.

Beyond that, Gaffney took over, good sign. Jackson got to show some things he hasn’t had a chance to until today.

C

Chief00

I agree with most of this but why start Polley? Why not start Jackson now over him? Jackson has way higher upside potential and did more in his first game back after injury than Polley was able to do.
Ultimately, I agree. However, right now start Polley and see if he can hit a couple of threes to start off - if not go to Jackson early - he can do more stuff.

C

Chief00

Really a rough few days for Chief.
This is like your UConn being a ranked team post - embarrassing in a basketball sense. Jackson wasn’t starting and he just came off an injury. More to the point neither started. Of course, Jackson will ultimately start. Now get him up to 20-25 minutes fast by bringing him off the bench at multiple positions.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Really a rough few days for Chief.
Actually it’s been a great few days. Off the court two basketball related victories, that Chief was cheering on - making life easier on our coaching staff.

C

Chief00

Starting Polley over Jackson is embarrassing. It's not worth it to get Polley going when you can get an actually dynamic player minutes who is also a way better defender.
Jackson is our most creative passer - you obviously play him with Polley for large stretches. He will find Polley at the right time and place. Someone usually picks up a quick foul or makes a really dumb play - insert him then.

Reaction Score
I’m not expecting much from this season even if he does return, but man I keep watching these games thinking: this would be a great game to have a full strength Akok. While he’s not a great 3 point shooter by any means, I feel like he’ll really help space the floor as a stretch 4. Him and Sanogo will play well off of one another. Whaley seems like he’s been sped up a bit or panics at times when he’s playing more at the top of the key. Him not being able to hit a consistent deep shot let’s teams really pack it in. Game was lost in the first half. Guessing we’ll see quite a bit of a shake up with the line ups/rotations moving forward with AJax now back and assuming we get Bouk back within the next game or two.

Reaction Score

If Chief could change three Hurley things:

Give Seton Hall credit. They took advantage of what an incoherent defense gave them knocking down shots. Their defense was vanilla but that’s the way to play us without Bouknight. No need for unnecessary fouls or doubling guys who can’t shoot. The full court pressure applied at the right time did reverse momentum in the second half. They made 3’s abd FT’s.

Reaction Score
Chief agree with most thoughts. DEFENSE is our strength . Must come out with that mindset.
Have been promoting Gaf a all along and from the showing Andre has to be on the floor.AS Cole and Martin yourbstarters.

C

Chief00

3 hours for the first reply is an encouraging sign
LOL - that was because the Moderators quarantine the thread for well over 2 hours and kept the original time stamp hence burying the thread. For what? Why are people so bitter or jealous of someone else’s success? Chief always tries to learn from successful people.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
LOL - that was because the Moderators quarantine the thread and kept the original time stamp. For what?
Maybe for this. Have you apologized yet?

FE0F690A-AE14-4D43-950D-5192A52D84BF.png

Reaction Score
Chief agree with most thoughts. DEFENSE is our strength . Must come out with that mindset.
Have been promoting Gaf a all along and from the showing Andre has to be on the floor.AS Cole and Martin yourbstarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Illini98

Top Bottom