Chief’s Briefs - Georgetown Edition | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Georgetown Edition

Reaction Score
This is correct. We got beat whether we dropped or hedged, and the idea that the hedge impacted our rebounding is silly. Most of the shots came well after Sanogo had recovered.

Regardless, we're not "high hedging" to an extent anywhere near what we've done in Hurley's previous years. What we do now is somewhere in between that and the show/recover hedging that we did under JC.
we also hedged against butler and basically doubled them up on the boards.

it's ridiculous to criticize our defensive scheme when we are a top-10 defense in the country. last night was an aberration that had more to do with tough shot-making (and, you could argue, maybe effort level) than some schematic breakdown.

Reaction Score
If a fan interferes with a game in progress, officials have every right to remedy the situation. However, they should call on the game manager (I.e. arena personnel) to enforce the ejection. The game manager is the home coach at levels lower than Div. 1 NCAA basketball.
Roberts almost tossed a fan last night from the same on court seats Bouk got tossed from. Had a brief conversation with the fan who eventually apologized, but he came close to Rossi g him. Things were at a fever pitch for a moment.

Reaction Score
Seems like a bit of a narrative-serving stretch. Who knows, but it certainly seems unlikely.
I'm sure it was unacceptable in the eyes of those who reffed that game. That other crews are remembering it a year later? As you said, hard to believe but not impossible.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Roberts almost tossed a fan last night from the same on court seats Bouk got tossed from. Had a brief conversation with the fan who eventually apologized, but he came close to Rossi g him. Things were at a fever pitch for a moment.
IIRC, Bouknight received a warning first, and was tossed after repeatedly disrupting ongoing play. I assume the apologetic fan last night only needed the warning.

I still don't think it has anything to do with either technical, nor result in UConn having a short leash with officials.

Reaction Score
IIRC, Bouknight received a warning first, and was tossed after repeatedly disrupting ongoing play. I assume the apologetic fan last night only needed the warning.

I still don't think it has anything to do with either technical, nor result in UConn having a short leash with officials.
I agree. Just pointing out an observation. I will say conduct during the game does have an effect. After the Hurley T you could see the refs huddling during a time out complaining to each other (assume about coach). Human nature to be impatient at that point. Some of these refs take it to a personal level.

Reaction Score
This is correct. We got beat whether we dropped or hedged, and the idea that the hedge impacted our rebounding is silly. Most of the shots came well after Sanogo had recovered.

Regardless, we're not "high hedging" to an extent anywhere near what we've done in Hurley's previous years. What we do now is somewhere in between that and the show/recover hedging that we did under JC.
As I said previously when we play full court defense it took the high hedge fiasco off the table - that’s when those problems went away and we took the lead.

Reaction Score

It is really a bad look when people in University AD designated seats are behaving like that. Who is selecting these clowns to sit there?

Reaction Score

I have a lot of empathy for the woman who was sent down to manage James and his posse buddy, but it was clear when they showed up at Gampel, given their condition, Hurley appeared to want nothing to do with them. I think if you show up obviously in that condition, the school has every right to say, you are not sitting in our 1st row court side seats today.
We need a much more muscular presence to do that and it is unfair to put this woman in that situation. I don’t care what’s in her job description, it is not on her. I am all for having a beer or two or whatever but from the start this went way beyond that.

Reaction Score

If the refs feel they have to control the game because building security won’t help if things get out of hand, you get a quicker T whistle. You can make the argument we deserved them and not knowing what was said, I have no opinion on that. But, I also know often they choose not to hear comments, as long as they are not prolong or overly aggressive. Given everything those are the ones that we have greater exposure to now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is really a bad look when people in University AD designated seats are behaving like that. Who is selecting these clowns to sit there?
I am available to sit there and will enthusiastically cheer for the team while retaining an appropriate level of decorum.

Hit me up Dave!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If the refs feel they have to control the game because building security won’t help if things get out of hand, you get a quicker T whistle. You can make the argument we deserved them and not knowing what was said, I have no opinion on that. But, I also know often they choose not to hear comments, as long as they are not prolong or overly aggressive. Given everything those are the ones that we have greater exposure to now.
One could make a valid argument that the reputations of Andre (tech in Butler’s game) and the antics of last season by Hurley factored into the technicals in this game if one needs to get into the heads of why refs make their calls.

My beef is with Roberts. His reaction to Diarra after the called foul was every bit as out of control as the reactions he is supposed to control.

Reaction Score
Karaban had a tough night. He needs to work on his body to get much stronger.
It looks like he lost some weight since the season started. That used to happen to me, gaining muscle in the offseason/pre-season and then losing it during the season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know things are going good when Chief has to go back to last year to find something to harp on.
Or when someone pretends that there’s some thing to complain about a packed Gampel during season break?

Reaction Score
One could make a valid argument that the reputations of Andre (tech in Butler’s game) and the antics of last season by Hurley factored into the technicals in this game if one needs to get into the heads of why refs make their calls.

My beef is with Roberts. His reaction to Diarra after the called foul was every bit as out of control as the reactions he is supposed to control.
I agree Robert’s is a quick, aggressive whistle with us right now. I think both sides need to calm down and work it out. Can’t say though he was quick with James - he warned him repeatedly. That we let that go on even before the ejection is something we need to make sure never happens again. I think it would be good to have a more secure look now so the refs don’t feel they need a quick whistle to keep the lid on things.

Reaction Score
You know things are going good when Chief has to go back to last year to find something to harp on.
Lol - But my point is it may have impacted Tuesday’s game. Definitely, an area we need to address this season.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

No one was T'ed up vs. Butler. Jackson was T'ed up vs. Gtown for taunting the Gtown bench had had been chirping up to that point as well. Hurley even referenced in his post game remarks.

Hurley was T'ed up for saying something to Roberts. In context, I think he wanted and expected it. Brando commented about it in realtime as well.

Occam's Razor suggests that recent history played no part in either technical.

Reaction Score
Oh great 4 pages on Chiefs technical foul conspiracy theory to open the door to bring up Bouknight...

Waiting for the Andre isn't ready for the NBA discussion to begin!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
No one was T'ed up vs. Butler. Jackson was T'ed up vs. Gtown for taunting the Gtown bench had had been chirping up to that point as well. Hurley even referenced in his post game remarks.

Hurley was T'ed up for saying something to Roberts. In context, I think he wanted and expected it. Brando commented about it in realtime as well.

Occam's Razor suggests that recent history played no part in either technical.
Dre T’d for retaliation foul on Manny Bates screen I thought.

Reaction Score
Why?
I’d like to hear more about this as well. I thought akok was in the same boat as gaffney where his minutes were disappearing so he was going to a place where he would have a better chance to be on the court.

Reaction Score
Oh great 4 pages on Chiefs technical foul conspiracy theory to open the door to bring up Bouknight...

Waiting for the Andre isn't ready for the NBA discussion to begin!
We got whistled for 2 quick T’s. The opponents zero. That’s a fact not a theory. Lol
The idea you have that it is ok for security to let someone stay in the house after being ejected is the crazy conspiracy theory. I don’t know anyone who understands the game, who thinks that’s ok.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
To my recollection he did not receive a technical for that, although he should have.
You and @Husky25 are correct. No technical!

Played back the @tcf15 replay. At first watched the one he incorrectly posted of last years game and laughed at his mistake. Watched the correct one and immediately found the time of that 3rd foul.

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t our coaching staff tutor the players on what they can and can’t do to avoid T’s? For Hurleyit takes magic words but I’m wondering what Hawkins or AJAX actually said to draw those calls. If a players says “I didn’t even touch him”. Is that a T? Saying something to your opposing player is probably mostly how it happens.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom