Chief’s Briefs - Georgetown Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Georgetown Edition

Reaction Score
To be fair, I don't really know what Georgetown's problem is: they have a bunch of solid players. Is Ewing really that far out of his depth?
Their defense is embarrassing- go throw on the Xavier tape- unfortunately Ewing’s coaching ability must be questioned at this point- just zero defensive strategy & or fundies.

Reaction Score
You have no idea what u r taking about. I just texted a BE official your thoughts and he called laughing. Stay in your lane Chief. Lol.
Well, he should talk to two of his senior referee colleagues. When you say Big East official do you mean an actually basketball referee or a paper pusher administrator official ?

Reaction Score
I’m the idiot who predicted uconn to hang 100 on Georgetown in a massive blowout but they hit some very tough shots. With our ranking we have to expect that some teams are going to be so pumped up to play us that these type of performances can happen against us.

I thought it was strange that our guys forgot about Akok’s game. His best offense is running in a straight line and beating his defender down the floor. He did that to us twice (I think karaban was supposed to match up with him both times). He also has the corner jumpshot sometimes off a pump fake which he also hit twice on us.
Karaban had a tough night. He needs to work on his body to get much stronger.

Reaction Score
usually teams are a player away, Georgetown is a coach away. They have some good players - scored 90 on Xavier. They played well hats off to them.

If only Hurley went to the bench quicker UConns ATS wouldn’t have a blemish on it now. Karaban missed 3 straights three’s - one an airball and was getting killed defensively, then Hawkins and Newton also took a horrible 3 - getting away from playing inside out. Hurley then finally made a switch down 60-53. Seems like he feels bad pulling Karaban.

Also sorry if someone already said this - how the hell did Andre miss that alley oop?!

Reaction Score
You're not telling us anything. You're saying it. But you saying it doesn't make it true. Why are you trudging up this narrative again???
Because we got two quick whistle T’s and that’s partly why we won by 11 and not more like 20.

Reaction Score
@Kenny11 I, too, am that idiot. But what else would a fan think when we hadn't had to sweat in the second half all year? GTown played much better than expected

Reaction Score
After some introspection and research, I acknowledge you may be onto something. Who T’d up Andre and/or Danny tonight? Was it Mike Roberts? I noticed he officiated tonight. He also officiated the night of Bouk’s ejection vs. Xavier. If he’s the one who gave James the boot, as well as doling out one of tonight’s T’s, there is absolutely a plausible implication here.
Yep, but he is not alone. It is pretty basic stuff, when a ref tosses a guy it is 100% unacceptable for security not to usher him out of the arena. I don’t know what it is about the BY where I took great criticism for 2 years saying James had maturity issues while admittedly not highlighting all the specifics I knew. The unfortunate incident in Charlotte this season finally resolved that. Likewise this is basic stuff and Gampel needs a few real security types not elderly professors trying to get paid to watch a game. I had a direct conversation with one BE ref in another state who had no idea about my UConn connection. It is a legitimate concern they have and I think we need to demonstrate as a school we get it at Gampel. Or else these quick whistle T’s will keep happening. It is not fair to the UConn coach or the players the AD dept dropped the ball on this aspect.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Wow- Joey California and Diarra being the dog Jim Calhoun said he was. Along with Andre and Donovan helped to reverse a very bad second half opening. Our bench out scored Georgetown’s by around twenty points. Hawkins layup put it away.

Two teams shooting above 50% the first half. UConn doing it through ball movement and threes, Georgetown taking advantage of Sanogo’s high hedging and making us pay, while Adama is on the treadmill 20 feet from the basket.

Georgetown opened the second half flawlessly. Jackson step out of bounds, Newton missed Adama on a break away and Karaban was fouling and playing tentative. Georgetown made plays. Our 9 first half 3’s were fools gold.

Unlike many teams Georgetown can play at our speed. Wahab is probably the second best center in the league besides Adama. Georgetown is one of the few conference teams that can hang in the paint.

Then we went with our speed and pressure unit and things changed. Joey California and Diarra killed it. Clingan clogged up the middle on defense and Andre did the usual - what do I have to do to win thing. Jackson had 8 assists and Newton 17 points. Another double digit win.
Thanks, I think I’d put Donovan as the second best center in the league though!

Reaction Score
Gampel needs a few real security types not elderly professors trying to get paid to watch a game.
Chief, I saw a few unacceptable behaviors from the crowd including an empty beer can thrown from the back of Section 214 after a bad call. I love a loud rowdy crowd but security cannot be toothless when people cross the line. Would hate to see something unfortunate in one of the juicier matchups later this year

Reaction Score
Wow- Joey California and Diarra being the dog Jim Calhoun said he was. Along with Andre and Donovan helped to reverse a very bad second half opening. Our bench out scored Georgetown’s by around twenty points. Hawkins layup put it away.

Two teams shooting above 50% the first half. UConn doing it through ball movement and threes, Georgetown taking advantage of Sanogo’s high hedging and making us pay, while Adama is on the treadmill 20 feet from the basket.

Georgetown opened the second half flawlessly. Jackson step out of bounds, Newton missed Adama on a break away and Karaban was fouling and playing tentative. Georgetown made plays. Our 9 first half 3’s were fools gold.

Unlike many teams Georgetown can play at our speed. Wahab is probably the second best center in the league besides Adama. Georgetown is one of the few conference teams that can hang in the paint.

Then we went with our speed and pressure unit and things changed. Joey California and Diarra killed it. Clingan clogged up the middle on defense and Andre did the usual - what do I have to do to win thing. Jackson had 8 assists and Newton 17 points. Another double digit win.
Chief, you summarized this entire game as concisely as possible. Great job.

Absolutely true that Georgetown can play at our speed. Also, that they made us pay for Adama's hedging. I'm surprised that more teams don't do that, or at least attempt it. This was a good challenge for us. Can't believe Georgetown is 5-9, they're very talented and Ewing did a good job preparing them.

Reaction Score
I love Jackson, but the "T" was pretty stupid. I would have like to seen Hurley yank him (even if it's just for one possession). Jackson has been there long enough to know any team can get you on any given night in the Big East. You can't kill a potential run beccause you want to chirp a little. He's better than that, and I think he'd be the first to say so. Still, I love what he does on the floor. Another reason why I don't like the T. He needs to be on the floor and you don't want him on the bench of a close game because of foul trouble.
Joey C and Hassan were big as well, and DC was solid.
Andre has been taunting for several games now, I hope he learned a lesson. Love his play, but that needed to be addressed.

Reaction Score
As DH said post-game.. There was a lot of chirping on the floor during the game.. Part of trying to get inside your opponent's head.. Some guys are more enthusiastic than others.. Patrick was one of the best.

Reaction Score
Andre has been taunting for several games now, I hope he learned a lesson. Love his play, but that needed to be addressed.
I agree, let your game doing the talking. But, as a Celtics fan, I must admit no one talked smack like LB.

Reaction Score
As DH said post-game.. There was a lot of chirping on the floor during the game.. Part of trying to get inside your opponent's head.. Some guys are more enthusiastic than others.. Patrick was one of the best.
I think that’s why there use to be the rule no intra conference transfers.

Reaction Score
Well, he should talk to two of his senior referee colleagues. When you say Big East official do you mean an actually basketball referee or a paper pusher administrator official ?
Ref.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Absolutely true that Georgetown can play at our speed. Also, that they made us pay for Adama's hedging. I'm surprised that more teams don't do that, or at least attempt it. This was a good challenge for us. Can't believe Georgetown is 5-9, they're very talented and Ewing did a good job preparing them.

A lot of what Gtown did to make UConn "pay" for the hedging was making 10'-12' midrange J's which many coaches don't like and don't emphasize. Gtown made those shots at a high level last night. I'd take my chances almost every game forcing guards to take mid range J's off the dribble.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree, let your game doing the talking. But, as a Celtics fan, I must admit no one talked smack like LB.
What you can do in the NBA and what you can do in college, especially in this era, definitely not the same.

Reaction Score
I have watched a few G'town games this year. They played way over their heads. They usually play fast without purpose or efficiency. Last night they shot their butts off.

The fact we had 5 offensive rebounds was bizarre. Perhaps the Clingan/Sanogo collusion in practice had more affect than suspected.

Hurley has lots to work on.

Reaction Score
If Georgetown “has guys” why are they so bad? Can someone who has watched a ton of them tell me if Ewing is really that bad?

yeah, it's the defense and the turnovers. just an undisciplined team. think about this -- they didn't MISS A SHOT for the first ~5 minutes of the game (think they went 9 for 9 or something) and they never really had a lead because they gave up wide open looks on the other end.

Reaction Score
I’m guessing that’s the case from how we shot on the last possession rather than just letting the clock run out. Not a good look in my opinion (punching down never is), but hopefully they learn.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but the game should not be about the refs. BTW, the refs eyes should be on the game on the court, not in the stands.
Well he was walking on the court during the game feeling pretty good, talking trash to opposing players, etc. You don’t think it was appropriate for the ref to eject him? It wasn’t a close call.

Reaction Score

I see talent on the Georgetown side. Sure some guys shot much better than usual but they surely pass Chief’s eye test for talent.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Whether it is true or not, it's a faulty premise to just assume that the Bouknight incident vs. a different team in a different season had anything to do with last night's officiating. I could understand if an official had an adversarial relationship with a coach (More on that below), but it should not be the team's responsibility to enforce a fan's (former player or otherwise) ejection from the arena. In an NCAA contest, it's the responsibility of arena security. Otherwise, what is to stop fans from being unruly, merely to penalize the opponent? Granted, officials are human and are not immune to holding a grudge, there is no evidence that suggests either tech was not legitimate and some conspiracy of payback for a past unrelated game.

For one thing, Brian O'Connell called the Jackson tech. Not Mike Roberts. Also, while I observed a number of back-and forths between the players, Jackson mugged at the Georgetown bench and probably said a few choice words, right in front of O'Connell. He was jawing after the dunk off of Clingan's hook & lateral as well. My guess is is that the tech was to regain control of this game, after a number of "unsportsmanlike" instances.

Regarding Hurley's tech, it WAS called by Roberts, but again, I don't buy into the far-fetched conspiracy theory mentioned above. Based on Hurley's mic'ed up portion of the under 12:00 minute TVTO of the 1st half ("We're not throwing enough body blows. We're just playing nice with them. We're not getting after them, defensively. We're not catching moves. We're not being disruptive..."), and Gtown going on a 12-2 run to start the 2nd half, Hurley had seen enough. Based on the look on Hurley's face in the immediate aftermath (stoic smirk. Not remotely flipping out), It was purposeful.

By that as it may (and I'm not gonna lie), I didn't think it worked, as GTown extended their lead to 7 in the immediate aftermath. Of course, now that I look at the box score, Hurley must have known that Georgetown has no bench. Their starters all played 30+ and only Mozone had double digit minutes off the bench. They were gassed by the time UConn started their 31-13 run to end the game. GTown went something like 4/21 in the final 11:50.

So getting back to the techs. Nathan Farrell was last night's 3rd official and did the game in February vs. 'Nova when Hurley got tossed for revving up the crowd. I could be mistaken, but it looks like Farrell gave Hurley the 1st tech (according to the YouTube replay). However, according to the recap, the 2nd was assessed by James Breeding (not shown on the replay). Farrell did not assess a technical foul last night.

IMO, every one of UConn's techs this year has been earned on their current "merits (for lack of better term)." I don't think any have been assessed based on reputation.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Maybe, but the game should not be about the refs. BTW, the refs eyes should be on the game on the court, not in the stands.
If a fan interferes with a game in progress, officials have every right to remedy the situation. However, they should call on the game manager (I.e. arena personnel) to enforce the ejection. The game manager is the home coach at levels lower than Div. 1 NCAA basketball.

Reaction Score
i thought that the hedge from sanogo was effective in the first half, georgetown just made insanely difficult one-on-one shots all night. georgetown countered effectively by slipping the screens in the second half and we made an adjustment of our own to end the game.

This is correct. We got beat whether we dropped or hedged, and the idea that the hedge impacted our rebounding is silly. Most of the shots came well after Sanogo had recovered.

Regardless, we're not "high hedging" to an extent anywhere near what we've done in Hurley's previous years. What we do now is somewhere in between that and the show/recover hedging that we did under JC.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom