Chief’s Briefs - Creighton 2 Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Creighton 2 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Quite frankly, when some posters a few weeks ago were advocating a high national ranking, Chief exercised caution. Without Bouknight, offense comes really hard for this group. Our defense and rebounding is good but Creighton had matchups where they could take us off the dribble. That really hurt and got us in foul trouble.

Chief thinks this Tyler scoring off the bench concept is overdone - we can’t afford a scoring drought to open up the game against a good team and wait 6 minutes before we have an outside threat. Too many bad habits form. The game is too ugly by then and the flow is bad. Today he was Artic cold coming off the bench.

Whaley looks really bad offensively, he’s rushing everything and not exhibiting good hands or judgement. I think Gaffney is the guy who we can get more offense from and he’s got to start being assertive.

Agree with Donny, our Bigs have trouble enough scoring in the post, why do we give them the ball so far away from the hoop? Ends in disaster too often.

While our defense was good too often our center is doubling a guard over 20 feet away from the hoop that leads to a mad scramble, which leads to a foul or a mismatch drive. This is why teams think they can beat us playing small. Bigs fouls caused by bad scheme given personnel. In the second half Creighton was brilliant exploiting mismatches.

Sanogo is the only Big who has any moves in the post with the hands, strength and touch to finish. Our offense needs to work through him. He needs to be confident he will get that pass and that means he’s got to be willing to give it up if nothing is there. Great offensive rebounding but Josh and Whaley finishing with bad hands and lack of power today.
Tough to win when you shoot 35% FG and 20% from 4. Cole, Martin and Sanogo were the only ones who played well offensively and Adama had around 5 turnovers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Chief thinks this Tyler scoring off the bench concept is overdone - we can’t afford a scoring drought to open up the game against a good team and wait 6 minutes before we have an outside threat. Too many bad habits form. The game is too ugly by then and the flow is bad. Today he was Artic cold coming off the bench.
It's not a matter of starting or coming off the bench for Polley.

It's that force-feeding him the ball doesn't work when opposing teams know they just need to play him tight. He's no threat off the dribble and don't need to respect it.

Most of our worst sequences are a forced Polley 3 leading to a runout on the other end.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, when some posters a few weeks ago were advocating a high national ranking, Chief exercised caution. Without Boutnight, offense comes really hard for this group. Our defense and rebounding is good but Creighton had matchups where they could take us off the dribble. That really hurt and got us in foul trouble.

Whaley looks really bad offensively, he’s rushing everything and not exhibiting good hands or judgement. I think Gaffney is the guy who we can get more offense from and he’s got to start being assertive.

Agree with Donny, our Bigs have trouble enough scoring in the post, why do we give them the ball so far away from the hoop? Ends in disaster too often.

While our defense was good too often our center is doubling a guard over 20 feet away from the hoop that leads to a mad scramble, which leads to a foul or a mismatch drive. This is why teams think they can beat us playing small. Bigs fouls caused by bad scheme given personnel. In the second half Creighton was brilliant exploiting mismatches.

Sanogo is the only Big who has any moves in the post with the hands, strength and touch to finish. Our offense needs to work through him. He needs to be confident he will get that pass and that means he’s got to be willing to give it up if nothing is there. Great offensive rebounding but Josh and Whaley finishing with bad hands and lack of power today.
Tough to win when you shoot 35% FG and 20% from 4. Cole, Martin and Sanogo were the only ones who played well offensively abd Adama had over 5 turnovers.
I agree with everything but as far as Polley, I am not sure bench or not, he would have been a difference maker here.

Reaction Score
Whaley was 2-4 from 3, he had about a dozen times they left him completely open. I'm not advocating him being our 3 point shooting threat but if the other team is literally leaving you open and we've seen him hit them and coach says he's a decent 3 point shooter, why not shoot more?

Reaction Score
- We should never talk about saving roster spots for future years again. Granted this is because of a transfer but this is another year of going into games with shortened benches for extended periods of time

- The offense is bad, showed some nice flashes in the 2nd half but it's just not a good offense. The combo of poor coaching and poor lineup use/spacing is even more clear when Bouknight isn't around to save us under 10 on the shot clock

- I think it's clear who the PG of this team is, but I'm sure that will still be an endless topic of conversation

Reaction Score
The difference for Polley is without Bouknight the opposing teams are focusing on him. He’s great when others draw the defense and he gets open shots, but when he’s the focus of the defense he’s pretty useless.

Reaction Score
It seems the hot stretch from polley was an outlier and not a sign of things to come. Between him and adams out there bringing nothing to the table offensively it’s tough sledding.
nice to see some signs of life from rj Cole today.
As far as the loss goes we just ran into a better team today at their place. Not a bad loss. What makes it a bad loss was the fact that we blew the game with St. John’s. That one still kills me

C

Chief00

It's not a matter of starting or coming off the bench for Polley.

It's that force-feeding him the ball doesn't work when opposing teams know they just need to play him tight. He's no threat off the dribble and don't need to respect it.

Most of our worst sequences are a forced Polley 3 leading to a runout on the other end.
I agree and that’s one thing Bouknight did being double teamed - give the other less talented players some opportunities within their capabilities.

Reaction Score
Thanks for picking up the typo. Corrected.
No problem, just helping to improve the great Briefs. One day we'll get one with his name spelled correctly

109DFE3D-F063-4ECC-AA01-B22BEAF095E5.png

Reaction Score
The St. John’s game was a must-win and we lost. With our roster for the game today, it was going to be hard to win. They had about 3 playmakers and we had 0. Polley still doesn’t know how to come off screens ready to shoot. If you crowd him and don’t lose him in transition, he doesn’t do much. I agree that it may be good to start him or have him come in earlier to get spacing better and make the defense stretch more. Sanogo has a lot of talent and we need to keep going to him...but 5 turnovers is a lot. It’s hard to win with Brendan Adams playing most of the game. He’s tough and obviously Hurley’s favorite player but he’s just not talented.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, when some posters a few weeks ago were advocating a high national ranking, Chief exercised caution. Without Bouknight, offense comes really hard for this group. Our defense and rebounding is good but Creighton had matchups where they could take us off the dribble. That really hurt and got us in foul trouble.

Tough to win when you shoot 35% FG and 20% from 4. Cole, Martin and Sanogo were the only ones who played well offensively abd Adama had over 5 turnovers.
Oh yea. Hit nail on the head. In Sonogos defense playing top of the key was a UConn tradition. I have seen it done years before and honestly I can't figure it out. Actually I though Whaley gave up at least three shots in the open, nobody guarding him and passed up to Cole who dribbled in traffic. Do we recruit bigs that constantly walk under the hoop? Sonogo will be fine. Again, teams beating us off the dribble. Clean drive to the hoop. Mahoney beat us today. He can score with any shot. Hurley's technical was strange. The official under the hoop with the ball in his hands calls a "T". The official who was not practicing social distancing with Hurley didn't. We made a run, they came back with some nice shots to get back in. I didn't see the total scoring in the paint, however I am sure they led in that category.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
The St. John’s game was a must-win and we lost. With our roster for the game today, it was going to be hard to win. They had about 3 playmakers and we had 0. Polley still doesn’t know how to come off screens ready to shoot. If you crowd him and don’t lose him in transition, he doesn’t do much. I agree that it may be good to start him or have him come in earlier to get spacing better and make the defense stretch more. Sanogo has a lot of talent and we need to keep going to him...but 5 turnovers is a lot. It’s hard to win with Brendan Adams playing most of the game. He’s tough and obviously Hurley’s favorite player but he’s just not talented.
That's a great point Kenny, but did you see the tight defense on him? When he was going lights out don't you think he was a major factor on the scouting reports?

Reaction Score
Ty Polley coming off the bench and BAdams starting is stupidly bad. The force feeding of Polley and the easy to read offense makes the game harder for everyone.

Our point guards need to create and make the game easier for others. With no playmakers it is going to be tough to win many games in conference.

Martin needs to do what Mahoney and Jefferson do for Creighton, and he doesn't. That hurts us big time.

We also are less talented than Creighton without Bouknight. They had the better players overall.

PS: McDermott doesn't have respect for Hurley. Treats him paternalistically. I don't like seeing that.

Reaction Score
I’ve noticed the last 2 games that Donny Marshall either wants us to lose or is just trying really hard not be project uconn bias because everyone knows he played there.

Reaction Score
Glad to see Sanogo have decent game. He had some early mistakes but as Chief noted he has the tools to produce.
Hurley gave him more overall minutes and more down the stretch minutes. I think he new he made a mistake not doing that last game.

He’s the frontline future so I expect we will see Hurley keep giving him more minutes.

Reaction Score
That's a great point Kenny, but did you see the tight defense on him? When he was going lights out don't you think he was a major factor on the scouting reports?
Yeah. He needs Bouknight. If the defense follows the scouting report on Polley, it’s not likely he’s able to do much. But if they are focused on Bouknight he will get many open looks.
but off screens he doesn’t square up quick enough, doesn’t use change of pace or clever moves to lose the defender a little bit. He’s always been better spotting up or trailing in transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom