Chief’s Brief’s - Memphis | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Brief’s - Memphis

Reaction Score
We are at the end of the season and our coaching staff still doesn't know (or apply) the rotation that works.

Larrier and DO were on the bench when we made our run. Williams and Mamadou brought the energy to go with Vital and even AA. Sadly Jalen is now a used car with too much mileage. Had he been managed and the 2 guard floor lineup been utilized, Jalen could have gotten some in-game rest. Polley needs confidence and experience, and should get it at Larrier's expense.

We don't need grave diggers (i.e. huge deficits), but killers putting opponents in their graves or at least warriors going down fighting (much sooner than the end of the game).

Just saying this season is over and our coaching staff still has no clue as to what works, who/when to substitute and who/when to rest. Game/Player management should never take that long.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Classic stat-padding, too-little-too-late performance by Jalen Adams once we were down 20.
If you played the sport or any team sport at a competitive level, you would realize that one player cannot carry the team in every area from stats to emotion on a consistent basis IF he does not have sufficient talent and skilled players around him.
JA started to play well in the 2nd half when he had some guys who wanted to hustle and battle.
Even the best become deflated at times.
I think it very unfair to label JA as stat-padding - if he was he would be hoisting 3s left and right

He had a horrible 1st half in both effort and results - no doubt about it

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If Emmert doesn’t step up and move investigation along - I will totally out him on why he has a grudge on UConn. It will be very ugly for him.

Citrus Dog?

EDIT:
I'm hoping he can also tell us who shot jfk

posted the above before I read yours. That was an all-time cliff hanger btw. We're still wating...

Reaction Score
Yeah but why wait until the last 10 minutes. How about the first 10 minutes of the second half. I have never seen Jalen played that tentative in a Uconn game before. We have no chance if he doesn’t play aggressive.
I've said all year. He and Terry don't play well off of each other. With Terry off the floor, it seems easier for him to play his natural game. Which is dominate the ball, and slash to the rim. He gets shots for others that way as well.

C

Chief00

Why wait? Hasn't he messed with UConn enough?

Fair question, I have the flow now of what happened between the BOT, Austin and Emmert leading up to the critical Avery Point meeting. Additionally, what transpired at the meeting and the fallout afterwards. Emmert comes off as the snake that he is, a totally dishonest, disingenuous creep. I need to fill in some more juicy details - and let’s see if he provides us with the respect he just provided MSU? I haven’t determined yet if it’s necessary to go over this topic?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Fair question, I have the flow now of what happened between the BOT, Austin and Emmert leading up to the critical Avery Point meeting. What transpired at the meeting And the fallout afterwards. . Emmert comes off as the snake that he is. I need to fill in some more juicy details - and let’s see if he provides us with the respect he just provided MSU? I haven’t determined yet if it’s necessary to go over this topic?
Emmert deserves no mercy for all he’s done to us. Sweep the leg, Chief.

C

Chief00

If you played the sport or any team sport at a competitive level, you would realize that one player cannot carry the team in every area from stats to emotion on a consistent basis IF he does not have sufficient talent and skilled players around him.
JA started to play well in the 2nd half when he had some guys who wanted to hustle and battle.
Even the best become deflated at times.
I think it very unfair to label JA as stat-padding - if he was he would be hoisting 3s left and right

He had a horrible 1st half in both effort and results - no doubt about it

I totally agree, Adams has express both publicly and privately how he likes playing with Williams due to his toughness and hustle. It’s tough being in a foxhole by yourself.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
A few games ago I termed it the Decision Game. Today is the Total Quit Game.

The players have quit, the coaches are going through the motions but have one eye on their resume.

One lineup that cares: Williams, Diarra, Adams, Anderson, Vital. But, KO went with lineup too late.

I vehemently dispute your leaving Whaley off the list. That guy plays his absolute heart out.

Start him and Williams next game.

the Q

Reaction Score
Admit to not being a Williams fan but he was a big part of our comeback. He brought a lot of energy and rebounding effort. He may not have great skills but he does have heart and energy. Speaking of heart, we didn't show much for most of this game.

I really wonder if the dude just naps through practice or something. When he plays he seems to bring more than a few guys ahead of him.

Reaction Score
So Miles Bridges gets cleared in 48 hours by NCAA and we have a cloud for many more months to go.

If Emmert doesn’t step up and move investigation along - I will totally out him on why he has a grudge on UConn. It will be very ugly for him.
Do it anyway.

Reaction Score
Why did it take 30 minutes for Jalen to become aggressive? Was he saving energy because of the flu. He had to be more aggressive at the beginning of the second half. Oh well another loss.

If it was the flu and he got it a few days ago he couldn't be close to 100% But bash him anyway. He hardly played any minutes this year. I'm sure it's been great fun trying to carry this team and coach.

Reaction Score
A few games ago I termed it the Decision Game. Today is the Total Quit Game.

The players have quit, the coaches are going through the motions but have one eye on their resume.

One lineup that cares: Williams, Diarra, Adams, Anderson, Vital. But, KO went with lineup too late.

Were you there chief? Looking to get a feel for how the fan base was at the game.

C

Chief00

C'mon...are you Jeff Jacobs?

Trying to inspire him - he admits he gets ideas here. Just saying people involved are talking now - maybe due to their current circumstance or perhaps the feelings out there that Emmert nationally has reached a critical creepy threshold?

C

Chief00

I vehemently dispute your leaving Whaley off the list. That guy plays his absolute heart out.

Start him and Williams next game.

Physically with Whaley in the post it’s men against boys. He needs to get physically stronger. It would also help if he developed some kind of shot.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Jalen plays 38 minutes a game...with no help. Give the kid a break, if he goes 100% all the time he’ll die. Playing all those minutes might speak to why his shooting % is down too.

Even Kemba who played 37+ minutes was given extended rest periods in big games and was allowed to play off ball. Calhoun would routinely take Kemba out a minute or so before a TV timeout to get him rest. Ollie is too dumb to do that.

JA doesn’t have the same luxury.

the Q

Reaction Score
Physically with Whaley in the post it’s men against boys. He needs to get physically stronger. It would also help if he developed some kind of shot.

Don't disagree with any of that. But to say he doesn't give full effort is just wrong.

Even with that though, our D is better when he's on the floor. Williams would have to guard 5s in that pairing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He’s got the sick excuse - but Adams was totally lethargic for the first 30 min of that game yesterday.

Reaction Score
Hustle players Williams, Whaley, and Diarra can't be on the floor at the same time. None of them have any offense at all. It gets even worse when Onorah is out there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom