Chief’s Brief’s - Memphis | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Brief’s - Memphis

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Jalen plays 38 minutes a game...with no help. Give the kid a break, if he goes 100% all the time he’ll die. Playing all those minutes might speak to why his shooting % is down too.

Even Kemba who played 37+ minutes was given extended rest periods in big games and was allowed to play off ball. Calhoun would routinely take Kemba out a minute or so before a TV timeout to get him rest. It would be better if Ollie did that too.

JA doesn’t have the same luxury.
FIFY, to give it wider appeal, unite the fanbase, and keep things focused on your good point.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think Williams is most effort Big, Diarra second

Agreed. But Diarra is the more capable and talented player. I think he could be a Jeff Adrien level player if we'd play him and make an effort to get him the ball.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Agreed. But Diarra is the more capable and talented player. I think he could be a Jeff Adrien level player if we'd play him and make an effort to get him the ball.

And he didn't foul so much.

But I like what I see out of KW, Whaley and Diarra, but you need some offensive firepower around them.

In theory having them play with guys like Vital and Larrier as the 2/3 would work. But Jalen really needs to boost his outside shooting as well.

Reaction Score
Future coach at Syracuse

I have a video of the kid taking care of business it was hilarious. It’s too large for this thread won’t take it, but for those of you who saw it how impressive is his ability to use both hands when getting to the hole??!

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, you nailed it!
I like the fact KO stuck to lineup that was relatively working. A coach has no obligation to play guys who care less than he does.
The coach also has no obligation to players he won't be coaching next year.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I was there yesterday with my father, the only game we've gone to all year. We were up 23-13, then Memphis hit back-to-back open 3s to cut it to 4 and Ollie called timeout (or there was a media timeout, can't remember which). I turned to my dad and said "Tubby is a pretty good coach, we always seem to come out with a good game plan but then once the good coaches adjust it's all over for us." Then Memphis went on their first huge run. From that point on I pretty much ranted and raved about Williams not being in the game despite being the guy that always gives the most effort, and that he only played 4 minutes in 2 games after Ollie publicly talked him up following the Wichita State game. Then, of course, KW gets into the game with like 7 minutes left and all of a sudden we go on a big run.

Say what you will about the recruiting, the injuries, the players' effort, but the coaching has been abysmal. I really don't want my memory of Kevin Ollie to be tarnished any more. He was a great four-year PG for Calhoun and a terrific ambassador for the program in the NBA. He also brought us a national championship! That's how I want to remember him, and if there's any chance of putting this ugliness behind us, he needs to go next month.

Reaction Score
We have had similar players in the past who had more productive 2nd halfs . Bazz, Corny and Ray come to mind.

I can understand it because my kid plays soccer the same way - takes a while to warm up to game speed and looks awful in the process, but once he's ready holy sheet he can be a terror out there.

Reaction Score
@Chief00 agree. Kwintin needs starter's minutes. Heart, Aggression, and athleticism. KO is nuts to not play this man more. KW was blazin yesterday. Pizza winner of the game

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
A few games ago I termed it the Decision Game. Today is the Total Quit Game.

The players have quit, the coaches are going through the motions but have one eye on their resume.

One lineup that cares: Williams, Diarra, Adams, Anderson, Vital. But, KO went with lineup too late.

Wow, Chief. Those are very brief briefs. I guess at this stage there isn't a whole lot to say. Anyway, it was a strange game. It wasn't the typical blowout or "start out by digging ourselves a great big hole and then try to get out when the clock's running out" game, rather it was a little of both. Obviously, the Huskies got off to a good start (not something we see much), but couldn't sustain it. What hurt them, and the ESPN announcer called them on it, is their slow/soft defense at the perimeter which also opened up things for Memphis in the paint. Tubby and the Tigers made the adjustment to exploit this weakness to their advantage. The Huskies gave away too many open shots and it cost them. (Unforced turnovers hurt also.) Seems like they are willing to roll the dice on opponents' three-point shooting but it's a bet they almost always lose. You wonder why UConn didn't make an adjustment themselves. It's been a problem all season long. I was inspired by their fight in the latter part of the second half but obviously it was too little too late. Overall, the game seemed to follow somewhat of a recurring pattern from the last few years: fall way behind and then, when the clock is winding down, ratchet up the intensity. Some positives but in the end, just another disappointing loss.

C

Chief00

Against Memphis:
Williams got 7 rebounds in 10 minutes. Onuorah got 1 rebound in 15 minutes.
Larrier had 2 rebounds in 21 minutes.

Another amazing statistic. Williams led the team in foul shot attempts (6) against Memphis despite taking only 2 shots from the field. Another sign of effort. Adams took 4 FT attempts on 18 FG shot attempts.

Last edited by a moderator:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Against Memphis:
Williams got 7 rebounds in 10 minutes. Onuorah got 1 rebound in 15 minutes.
Larrier had 2 rebounds in 21 minutes.

Another amazing statistic. Williams led the team in foul shot attempts (6) against Memphis despite taking only 2 shots. Another sign of effort. Adams took 4 attempts on 18 shots.

the one where he ripped it away from the memphis guy and then got fouled by the same guy giving him a bear hug....that's exactly what we need.

C

Chief00

Ok you dudes got Chief going with Bigs rebounding numbers. For the season a rebound every _. _ _ minutes:
1) EC 2.85 minutes
2) KW 3.2
3) MD 3.9
4) JC 4.1
5) DO 5.3
6) IW 6.2
7) TL 7.4

Reaction Score
Avery Point? You mean where the oceanographers are? Was someone planning to be 'swimin wit da fishes'?

Reaction Score
yeah that's awesome for recruiting
You really think that Ollie winning the next three or four games, or keeping them close, matters at all to who's going to be on campus next year, other than Ollie?
Worrying about recruiting while Ollie is still on board is like worrying about a possible tick infestation in your house while the wild wolf that brought the ticks in is still inside.
First things first - the absolute best way to improve recruiting is to s----t can Ollie. Anything that makes that more likely, short of an NCAA penalty, is what I am rooting for.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Wow, Chief. Those are very brief briefs. I guess at this stage there isn't a whole lot to say. Anyway, it was a strange game. It wasn't the typical blowout or "start out by digging ourselves a great big hole and then try to get out when the clock's running out" game, rather it was a little of both. Obviously, the Huskies got off to a good start (not something we see much), but couldn't sustain it. What hurt them, and the ESPN announcer called them on it, is their slow/soft defense at the perimeter which also opened up things for Memphis in the paint. Tubby and the Tigers made the adjustment to exploit this weakness to their advantage. The Huskies gave away too many open shots and it cost them. (Unforced turnovers hurt also.) Seems like they are willing to roll the dice on opponents' three-point shooting but it's a bet they almost always lose. You wonder why UConn didn't make an adjustment themselves. It's been a problem all season long. I was inspired by their fight in the latter part of the second half but obviously it was too little too late. Overall, the game seemed to follow somewhat of a recurring pattern from the last few years: fall way behind and then, when the clock is winding down, ratchet up the intensity. Some positives but in the end, just another disappointing loss.
They roll the dice on three point shooting because that's what they practice. With our 3 PT shooters our defense looks great

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
You really think that Ollie winning the next three or four games, or keeping them close, matters at all to who's going to be on campus next year, other than Ollie?
you understand we recruit more than a year out right? You get that there are kids watching now who will be the best in their class in 6-8 years. Wishing for blowouts against UConn is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

C

Chief00

Avery Point? You mean where the oceanographers are? Was someone planning to be 'swimin wit da fishes'?
That’s where the drama started, where Emmert and his female side kick attempted to block Phil Austin from becoming UConn President.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It's so bad, even Chief is quitting on his briefs.
I say good. Not going to watch until KO is gone.
I'm rooting for the biggest blowouts possible for the remaining games, with the worst possible coaching. Gotta make sure that we don't have a temporary remission that causes a delay in completely excising the cancer.

You’re actively hoping the UConn men’s basketball team loses?

Frank, there’s no way on earth you can call yourself a UConn fan going forward. That ship has sailed.

I would expect nothing less from someone who runs off and reanimated under a new username every season because people tire of their act.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom