OT: - Cheeseburger and Fries Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Cheeseburger and Fries Thread

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I eat french fries 4-5 times per week. 48 lbs down, 8 to go
48 pounds? That's like a kindergarten kid. Congrats!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good fries are amazing. They also are few and far between. Frozen potatos and dirty oil make most them non-starters. I usually opt for the side salad as well, but if someone has quality fries, I'm all in.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Kevin’s seafood, Wayback Burger and Jimmies of Savin Rock are my all-time French fries. Once you put fries in a box, styrofoam or under aluminum foil you ruin them due to moisture.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I mentioned this place in the burger thread to discuss their fries, so figure I have to include it here.

Original-Fries.jpg

If you are ever my guest in town, I will not take you to Primantis. But I will take you to the Dirty O if you ask.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
French Fries, and potatoes generally, are one of my favorite foods. I don't have them often for caloric reasons. Vermont Poutine is indeed fantastic. As for style of fries, I like to go back and forth, steak, waffle, shoestring, skin on standard size, curly with seasoning, there aren't bad fries, just bad preparation of fries. Dirty oil and soggy fries are unacceptable.

Home French fries benefit tremendously from use of an air fryer. Huge improvement over the oven, without the extra fat of frying.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Good fries are amazing. They also are few and far between. Frozen potatos and dirty oil make most them non-starters. I usually opt for the side salad as well, but if someone has quality fries, I'm all in.

Outside of the fast food places, the common threads of places where I really like the fries is that a) they are Idaho russets, b) they sit at room temp before initial cooking, c) they soak in water or a water/vinegar mix overnight to release starches, d) they are cooked twice, if not three times, and e) the final cooking is in clean quality peanut oil or duck fat or other single source high-smokepoint fat (>350F), not that carton of mixed vegetable fry oils so popular at Restaurant Depot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Joining this thread a bit late. Fan of burgers home and away.

Home: About 85%-90% Lean, none of those 80% grease bombs, or dry 95% burgers. Grilled to medium-medium rare for me and my daughter, medium-rare to rare for my wife. Seasoning: nothing. Maybe salt and pepper. There is nothing more annoying than people putting onion soup mix or other stuff in a burger. LoL White American cheese added.

Away: Best is Worthy Burger in Vermont. Worthy Burger — Worthy Vermont
Several other Vermont spots offer similar fantastic grass fed beer burgers. Like this one. Farmhouse Tap & Grill: World Class Beer & Farm-To-Table Fare
Fast food burgers, including In-n-Out, are generally a let down. Five Guys is overly grease soaked and cooked medium well. Even a Red Robin can provide a better burger. If they don't cook to order, it's not going to be a great burger.
Have you had bison/buffalo meat burgers? They are very lean but taste more like an 85 or 90 beef while being less calorie dense than turkey and close to 95% lean

A 1/4lb buffalo burger is about 145 calories. Lean turkey is 150-170 and 95% lean is about 135. 85/15 is about 215

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Have you had bison/buffalo meat burgers? They are very lean but taste more like an 85 or 90 beef while being less calorie dense than turkey and close to 95% lean

A 1/4lb buffalo burger is about 145 calories. Lean turkey is 150-170 and 95% lean is about 135. 85/15 is about 215

Yes, there is Ted's Montana Grill and another Bison Burger place nearby. Have to be very careful, that stuff turns to shoe leather if overcooked.

Reaction Score
Yes, there is Ted's Montana Grill and another Bison Burger place nearby. Have to be very careful, that stuff turns to shoe leather if overcooked.
I buy a brand called North Fork Bison at the grocery store and cook them on a cast iron skillet. It's like $13/lb but they're great. Can't be cooked past medium though.

Reaction Score
Joining this thread a bit late. Fan of burgers home and away.

Home: About 85%-90% Lean, none of those 80% grease bombs, or dry 95% burgers. Grilled to medium-medium rare for me and my daughter, medium-rare to rare for my wife. Seasoning: nothing. Maybe salt and pepper. There is nothing more annoying than people putting onion soup mix or other stuff in a burger. LoL White American cheese added.

Away: Best is Worthy Burger in Vermont. Worthy Burger — Worthy Vermont
Several other Vermont spots offer similar fantastic grass fed beer burgers. Like this one. Farmhouse Tap & Grill: World Class Beer & Farm-To-Table Fare
Fast food burgers, including In-n-Out, are generally a let down. Five Guys is overly grease soaked and cooked medium well. Even a Red Robin can provide a better burger. If they don't cook to order, it's not going to be a great burger.

Putting onion soup mix in a burger is a sin. Not seasoning your burgers at all is a bigger sin.

Reaction Score
Putting onion soup mix in a burger is a sin. Not seasoning your burgers at all is a bigger sin.
Seasoning is more important if you're cooking on a flat top or in a pan to get some crusting and hold in the flavor. I use very little salt and pepper if it's going on the grill.

Reaction Score
Seasoning is more important if you're cooking on a flat top or in a pan to get some crusting and hold in the flavor. I use very little salt and pepper if it's going on the grill.

I don't understand how someone can cook and like a burger or steak without a small but appropriate amount of salt.

Reaction Score
Out in Texas, most places that sell burgers try to mix some of the BBQ world - i.e. throwing some pulled meat (mostly brisket) on top. Don't get me wrong, I love me some texas BBQ, but when I'm looking for a burger, I don't go to a smoke house. Maybe I've lived in San Antonio too long, but long enough to know not all BBQ is good BBQ.

If anyone ever gets towards the San Antonio/Austin/Dallas area (although they are both expanding) - Twisted root burger is great (1/2 pound, homemade toppings/sauces/pickles) - exotic meats change weekly - buffalo, venison, elk, lamb, ostrich, rabbit, camel, duck and boar - as well as their wagyu beef. Also, a bit too "hippie" for me, but Hopdoddy burgers are fantastic, big metal bowl of parmesan fries, local beer and "adult" shakes to go. Can't really go wrong with the burgers in either place.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how someone can cook and like a burger or steak without a small but appropriate amount of salt.

It's really easy to over do it. I think a lot of people try it, use too much, don't enjoy it and stop.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
We’ve got a reco for an unknown location in Columbia.

Anyone have something in say... Wethersfield?
Goldburgers, Newington is good I hear.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Disagree if it is quality meat. People can season it on their plate. A little salt and cracked pepper is all it needs. Anybody introduces anything beyond that in a burger and it's unlikely I'll even eat it.

Now, if I am making one just for myself, I might try some Cajun or blackening seasoning, something like Emeril's. But I dislike foreign objects integrated into the burger meat itself. It should be 100% beef on the inside.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
They’re a branch of French fry, a subcategory, but I wouldn’t say “a tater tot is a French fry.” He’s a brother to a fry.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
They absolutely are fries. Where do you get them in the grocery store? With the milk?

Whatabout hashbrowns? They are with the Fries too.

Reaction Score
They’re a branch of French fry, a subcategory, but I wouldn’t say “a tater tot is a French fry.” He’s a brother to a fry.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Knows what he’s talking about here

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom