Chassion on picking a school the second time around | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chassion on picking a school the second time around

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1) This has come up several times and Stamford has already researched it point by point in previous threads.
2) it says she had
(A) scholarship offers from a few schools AND
(B) interest from other schools, including Ivys

“interest” is not an offer
"Going to UConn as a walk-on over other Division I scholarship offers wasn’t a conventional decision. But Autumn isn’t a conventional athlete."

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
"Going to UConn as a walk-on over other Division I scholarship offers wasn’t a conventional decision. But Autumn isn’t a conventional athlete."

There are no documented offers from division 1 schools. Just because she or more likely her father claims there were, is not proof. I checked her twitter feed, she never posted any offers throughout her last year in HS, and believe me all these kids post the offers.

In saying this, I'm not trying to denigrate her talent, just refuting what others are blindly accepting. If she could play for Princeton, she would be there already. (Watch her now get an offer from Princeton, it would serve me right),

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have seen a number of articles suggesting that various colleges had interest in or actually made scholarship offers to Autumn. Can someone point to an article that specifically names a school or schools that actually offered Autumn a scholarship?

Reaction Score
Well, 'picking a school' sounds like she has multiple colleges to choose from. :)
My recommendation ( unrequested, of course) is that she play for an Ivy League school. She is certainly smart enough, and her talent would be at the highest level they are used to ( generally ).

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
In addition to all the Division I College programs that UConn has to compete with...they also have to compete with Delta, Gamma and Lambda... Let's hope that the Greeks don't win and that we have a complete, robust and successful season.

Reaction Score
I think she’ll end up at UL Lafayette or Mcneese or somewhere similar. Just assuming as a former Louisianian

Reaction Score
How about Lehigh or any other patriot league team?
Bucknell has a strong women's basketball program but appears pretty solid at the guard position. Loyola Maryland didn't win a game last year and would provide a great opportunity.

Reaction Score
Please humor me.
Why not Vanderbilt?
Great academics.
Ground floor opportunity.
Play for Shea.

Reaction Score
All I can say is that some folks on this board are stone cold hard core. This kid did give us her best for a year...she participated in practices and was supportive of her team mates even though she didn't get to play much. I think a simple "I wish her the very best of luck in her next school choice" would be appropriate. The beat down on her talent level, lack of playing time and lack of Division 1 scholarships doesn't seem to be very productive to me. After all she was a Husky and deserving of our support.
Right on!

Reaction Score
D II is the way to go. Scholarships still available and some pretty good competition in certain leagues and the education one gets is as transferrable to what's next for her as any other school.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
November 20th to be exact! BATTLE 4 Atlantis, baby!!! [use your best Dick Vitale voice....] Go Huskies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I believe that Geno will schedule a couple of exhibition games and maybe a home opener prior to Nov 20th.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There are no documented offers from division 1 schools. Just because she or more likely her father claims there were, is not proof. I checked her twitter feed, she never posted any offers throughout her last year in HS, and believe me all these kids post the offers.

In saying this, I'm not trying to denigrate her talent, just refuting what others are blindly accepting. If she could play for Princeton, she would be there already. (Watch her now get an offer from Princeton, it would serve me right),
I don’t believe you. I know for a fact that some kids do not post their offers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let’s see, Princeton education and less playing time or obscure mid-major no one has heard of and many minutes. Hmmmm, which would be best when applying for med school….?
My point was she could get an Ivy education at schools such as Brown, Dartmouth and Columbia and get playing time. Sounds like a win win to me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just so everyone understands, Ivy League schools can certainly recruit HS athletes, but the process is nothing like UConn or most other schools that offer athletic scholarships. At UConn and similar schools, the HC basically offers a HS recruit an athletic scholarship, subject to their meeting minimum academic requirements: GPA, standardized tests, core courses and, of course, graduation.

With the Ivies, all the academic requirements also apply and there is a lengthy application process including: completing a detailed admissions application, writing an essay, securing written recommendations, alumni interviews, completing and submitting a detailed financial aid request, which includes family tax returns.

Until all these steps are completed, the Director of Admissions for an Ivy school will not even consider someone for admissions. The coach’s role in the entire process is to advise Admissions which recruits the coach rates highest. That rating may or may not help an applicant get into an Ivy school.

Here again, I will ask the question that I don’t know the answer to. Does anyone know if Autumn actually applied to any of the Ivies?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think the point of most in the thread is that this board's fans have rose-colored glasses when viewing UConn players, even walk-ons. The transfer portal is like musical chairs this year, and there are far more accomplished players without a chair as the music is ending.
My glasses are not rose colored they are American flag blue colored. In the context of UCONN players Autumn was what is called a preferred walk on which means Geno actually saw her play and determined that although she was not good enough to offer her a scholarship she was good enough to be on the UCONN roster , contribute to the team and eventually earn a full scholarship. A player that is good enough to be a preferred walk-on at UCONN is definitely good enough to play at many many division 1 schools. Autumn's dilemma is actually a very nice problem to have and it is this: Lower tier division 1 basketball programs are generally not very academically oriented institutions. Autumn could drop down to DII and play for some good basketball programs and not be academically challenged. She could drop down to Division III where there is great academics but will likely not find players of her skill level.
A basketball player who is academically talent enough to be a preferred walk on at UCONN and get interest from Ivy League schools is something to be greatly celebrated, see @IMBillyFinn post. Remarkably some of you turned this into something negative by conducting deep research to find evidence to the contrary of D1 offers, accusing her father of hyping her daughter, asking for proof of Autumn's division 1 offers and wondering if she ever applied to any of those Ivy League schools. Why so bitter?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
My glasses are not rose colored they are American flag blue colored. In the context of UCONN players Autumn was what is called a preferred walk on which means Geno actually saw her play and determined that although she was not good enough to offer her a scholarship she was good enough to be on the UCONN roster , contribute to the team and eventually earn a full scholarship. A player that is good enough to be a preferred walk-on at UCONN is definitely good enough to play at many many division 1 schools. Autumn's dilemma is actually a very nice problem to have and it is this: Lower tier division 1 basketball programs are generally not very academically oriented institutions. Autumn could drop down to DII and play for some good basketball programs and not be academically challenged. She could drop down to Division III where there is great academics but will likely not find players of her skill level.
A basketball player who is academically talent enough to be a preferred walk on at UCONN and get interest from Ivy League schools is something to be greatly celebrated, see @IMBillyFinn post. Remarkably some of you turned this into something negative by conducting deep research to find evidence to the contrary of D1 offers, accusing her father of hyping her daughter, asking for proof of Autumn's division 1 offers and wondering if she ever applied to any of those Ivy League schools. Why so bitter?
Ok.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe you. I know for a fact that some kids do not post their offers.
Agreed, quite a few don't post their offers, and further on this board we frequently refer to "players of interest" that have not yet been formally offered, because we know the have been scouted, or "followed" or hear something thru other sources. I think doubting a player's assertions because you haven't seen clear evidence of an offer or even interest, is a non productive approach. Particularly applying to a student who was first in her class.

I don't know if Autumn is a Division 1 talent or not. But I am pretty sure she can knock down open shots and pass based on comments about her, and her high school stats, and those traits by themselves at least gives you a decent chance. I understand she played at a relatively low level of competition in high school but if I remember right I think she averaged 15 points and 10 assists a game her last year. The PPG is not particularly impressive, but 10 assists per game is very good against any level of competition.

Time will tell. I hope she does get a Division 1 offer, but because of her academics, and wanting to be a doctor, the basketball aspect is only part of her decision.

Reaction Score
Please humor me.
Why not Vanderbilt?
Great academics.
Ground floor opportunity.
Play for Shea.
I will humor you. This makes all the sense in the world. Deep south. Quality coach who knows her. Excellent academic environment. Re-building program.

Reaction Score
Not knocking Autumn

Vanderbilt has 15 on the 20-21 roster. Only two are seniors and no idea if any are walk-ons. Shea has to be very careful with her offers. Her conference won't allow her to run any players off. Shea has a tough job ahead of her.

Reaction Score
According to Geno over 1000 girls entered the transfer portal and more than 200 have received no interest. The majority of the 200 must be head counters with a full scholarship. Their grass was not greener on the other side. New age of college sports. I think more consideration should be given to getting a degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom