Chassion on picking a school the second time around | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chassion on picking a school the second time around

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but it's laughable to me that anyone on this board thinks she has D1 talent. To me, Autumn barely resembles a DIII JUCO player. Like, did we even watch the same player?
Apparently not! What is laughable (insulting really) is that you can determine this from watching her play less than a minute per game for UCONN. Even within DI there are multiple level of play where Autumn can certainly make a contribution. @stamfordhusky I firmly disagree that Autumn could not play at Patriot League school Eg., Loyola of Maryland

Reaction Score
Yes, but something tells me Autumn and her family are looking for an athletic scholarship, and that’s not an option for the Ivies.

But of course, the reality is that, with all of that money, and the usual "wink and nod," a good athlete whom the coach wants will get sufficient funding to attend an Ivy League institution. Fig leaves.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But of course, the reality is that, with all of that money, and the usual "wink and nod," a good athlete whom the coach wants will get sufficient funding to attend an Ivy League institution. Fig leaves.
The Ivies, to their credit, really don't do the "wink and nod" thing. Regardless of athletic talent financial aide at these institutions is strictly based on need and administered and verified by a third party.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ivy League coaches have absolutely no say on financial aid for prospective student-athletes. All financial aid applications for both athletes and non-athletes are routed through an independent clearinghouse in Princeton, NJ that establishes a “need based” package of financial aid that typically includes 4 components: academic scholarship, student-loan, work-study and family contribution.

Reaction Score
Apparently not! What is laughable (insulting really) is that you can determine this from watching her play less than a minute per game for UCONN. Even within DI there are multiple level of play where Autumn can certainly make a contribution. @stamfordhusky I firmly disagree that Autumn could not play at Patriot League school Eg., Loyola of Maryland

I've seen Loyola play a number of times. She would find it hard to make their top ten players. There is a reason she had no D1 scholarship offers.

Reaction Score

That is absolutely false. You don't know how things work in the Ivy's. Other than need-based aid, there are no scholarships. No academic scholarships, no ways to manipulate the system for athletes. The FAFSA formula can perhaps by bent, but not by much, and all schools share all the data for athletes, so any cheating becomes apparent very quickly.

I know several athletes who made All-Ivy in their respective sports. In each case, their parents paid 100% of the cost.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've seen Loyola play a number of times. She would find it hard to make their top ten players. There is a reason she had no D1 scholarship offers.
You have been misinformed.

"The 5-foot-8 point guard had scholarship offers and interest from other schools, including two from the Ivy League."

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
All I can say is that some folks on this board are stone cold hard core. This kid did give us her best for a year...she participated in practices and was supportive of her team mates even though she didn't get to play much. I think a simple "I wish her the very best of luck in her next school choice" would be appropriate. The beat down on her talent level, lack of playing time and lack of Division 1 scholarships doesn't seem to be very productive to me. After all she was a Husky and deserving of our support.

Reaction Score
You have been misinformed.

"The 5-foot-8 point guard had scholarship offers and interest from other schools, including two from the Ivy League."

I've checked this out with multiple sources, and my info is correct. Check the article from her local paper that said in April of her senior year that she had NO D1 offers. Or check the article in a well-known Louisiana recruiting site that said she had NO D1 offers. The offers referred to in the article above were D2 offers only. The Ivy "offers" at best were offers to take a spot on the roster. Not a scholarship, since Ivy's do not offer scholarships.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I've checked this out with multiple sources, and my info is correct. Check the article from her local paper that said in April of her senior year that she had NO D1 offers. Or check the article in a well-known Louisiana recruiting site that said she had NO D1 offers. The offers referred to in the article above were D2 offers only. The Ivy "offers" at best were offers to take a spot on the roster. Not a scholarship, since Ivy's do not offer scholarships.
Boy, you’re really determined to let us know what an inferior player she is. Check out @cferraro04 post above. Can’t you just wish the kid good luck and let it go?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Why not Princeton? The coach there might be amenable to the idea :cool:
Arguably because Princeton, doesn't give athletic scholarships as a member of the Ivy League. Of course they do give need based scholarships to athletes so...

Reaction Score
Arguably because Princeton, doesn't give athletic scholarships as a member of the Ivy League. Of course they do give need based scholarships to athletes so...
An African American woman who is an exceptionally accomplished academician who is also an elite athlete. Princeton for the win.

Reaction Score
Boy, you’re really determined to let us know what an inferior player she is. Check out @cferraro04 post above. Can’t you just wish the kid good luck and let it go?
Maybe your response was intended for a different Stamford post, but the one you responded to was a fact-based correction of some misinformation. I think that’s entirely appropriate.

Reaction Score
She should hookup with Vanderbilt & Shea. She might get some playing time as Shea will have a big rebuild.

Reaction Score
All of this talk about scholarships and schools choice for this young lady seem to ignore one critical fact. Let's not forget that she was a walk-on at UConn by personal choice. She turned down scholarship offers from other schools because she wanted to play for the Huskies, and according to her father finances didn't figure into the decision. I'm sure she will be just fine with whatever choice she makes.

How Autumn Chassion earned a walk-on spot at UConn

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe your response was intended for a different Stamford post, but the one you responded to was a fact-based correction of some misinformation. I think that’s entirely appropriate.
There was no fact based correction or misinformation. The article posted indicated Autumn had offers from 2 different Ivy league schools. @stamfordhusky post indicated that Autumn had no division 1 offers. Unless you believe Ivy league schools are not Division 1 institutions or the Ivy offers were for Autumn to play the violin?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There was no fact based correction or misinformation. The article posted indicated Autumn had offers from 2 different Ivy league schools. @stamfordhusky post indicated that Autumn had no division 1 offers. Unless you believe Ivy league schools are not Division 1 institutions or the Ivy Offer were for Autumn to play the Violin?
1) This has come up several times and Stamford has already researched it point by point in previous threads.
2) it says she had
(A) scholarship offers from a few schools AND
(B) interest from other schools, including Ivys

“interest” is not an offer

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
1) This has come up several times and Stamford has already researched it point by point in previous threads.
2) it says she had
(A) scholarship offers from a few schools AND
(B) interest from other schools, including Ivys

“interest” is not an offer
I think the point of most in the thread is that this board's fans have rose-colored glasses when viewing UConn players, even walk-ons. The transfer portal is like musical chairs this year, and there are far more accomplished players without a chair as the music is ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom