Chasing Kiki Rice -A waste of UConn's time? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chasing Kiki Rice -A waste of UConn's time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Well, I guess that's about as clear as it gets. Wouldn't want her to sully herself with the unwashed, uneducated, deadbeat and dreamless masses associated with UConn.
Indeed!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
can't you say the same thing about Duke? That is closer in her proximity. Also a Stanford, Duke, or Yale education overtops anything Uconn has to offer in Nil. I agree with the poster that said she is looking for more than basketball, also she plays soccer if I am correct. Stanford and the Pac 12 have a great soccer conference.
Again, that depends on what she wants. If she wants a degree in the sciences or engineering, perhaps. But for the tenth straight year UConn has academically been ranked in the top 25 in the country among public universities, their Neag School of Education among the top 20, their Sports Management College is ranked 3rd best overall in the country, and their School of Public Finance and Budgeting is 10th. Yeah, Yale, Stanford, and Duke are ranked 5, 6, and 9, respectively overall, but UConn isn't chopped liver. In 2017 UConn was ranked 18th among public universities. As for soccer, Duke is ranked 3rd in the country, Stanford 33rd. That's big time college ball. Think she'll make those teams? Think she doesn't know that in order to excel at either sport at the college level it's near impossible to divide your time between two sports? Think she doesn't understand that her real shot for sports after college is with basketball?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Me think's, that her parent's, will have the greatest influence on her decision where she end's up ! Just look at her parent's background. I have strong reservations that she will not end-up on Geno's team. But, 'Never say Never'.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I guess chasing Gabby & Lou when they had offers from Stanford also amounted to fool’s gold. For that matter, why in god’s name would KML or Ice Brady ever want to leave sunny CA for Storrs, CT.

The only fool’s gold I know of involves trying to predict what a teenager is thinking or will end up doing.

Reaction Score
Rice has already invested an enormous amount of time and money in basketball and there may be no other career in which she will be so near the top. I think she envisions a pro career of some sort and maybe an Olympic team. A basketball degree from UConn is priceless. The question with UConn is whether she wants to be behind two deep and talented classes. But then will she win a title at Duke or just be the player who started them back in that direction?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Rice has already invested an enormous amount of time and money in basketball and there may be no other career in which she will be so near the top. I think she envisions a pro career of some sort and maybe an Olympic team. A basketball degree from UConn is priceless. The question with UConn is whether she wants to be behind two deep and talented classes. But then will she win a title at Duke or just be the player who started them back in that direction?
It is likely that Christyn & Evina will be on to the W next year. If KiKi Rice doesn’t believe she can compete for PT and/or a starting spot next season at UConn, she’s not the competitor we all believe her to be.

Reaction Score
It is likely that Christyn & Evina will be on to the W next year. If KiKi Rice doesn’t believe she can compete for PT and/or a starting spot next season at UConn, she’s not the competitor we all believe her to be.
lol not this again, can you read her mind? I'm sure that she is worried about playing time. And to the other poster, yes Kiki can make any soccer team, she is a hell of an athlete.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't think that's the right question at all. Kiki Rice is versatile and talented enough to contend to be among the five best players on UCONN's roster in her freshman campaign starting in the fall of 2022. UCONN will most likely be graduating three (possibly 4) of its top 5 most talented players (Evina, Christyn, Liv).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
lol not this again, can you read her mind? I'm sure that she is worried about playing time. And to the other poster, yes Kiki can make any soccer team, she is a hell of an athlete.
Obviously I cannot read KiKi’s mind, but I would be amazed if she is worried about playing time in college. She is that good and I suspect she knows it.

In case I wasn’t clear with my post, I absolutely expect her to compete for PT and a starting spot as a freshman if she comes to UConn.

Reaction Score
You're the one saying it's either Stanford or Duke so can you read her mind?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As I said.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Not saying she will come to UCONN but to dismiss it the way I see it being done at times I don't believe. There were dismissals regarding Azzi last year too.

I just want to say the following. Kiki Rice is not her Aunt. I'd expect Kiki Rice is going to follow her own path, be her own individual, not try to be her Aunt. Further, her Aunt and her parents did not have near the same opportunities in basketball that Kiki currently has. Why not take full advantage of the God-given gift Kiki has? Third, what's the point being made of "outside of basketball?" Don't understand any logic in that. Is the OP implying that Kiki's basketball friends have zero interests other than basketball? And that she can't have any friends outside of basketball if she went to another school either?

And I think we need to point out that UCONN is "not too shabby" of a school either. Maybe others can make comments though on Stanford with theer pg’s and gaurds overall- I'm not sure--- but how many pg's has Stanford put into the WNBA in the past 10-15 years? I think we can say with obvious assurance that UCONN has put quite a few pg's and overall guards in the WNBA and that history - "that's not too shabby" either.

Another point. We’ve read this statement before about "taking a backstage." What does that even mean? What we do know about UCONN is that we saw even as recent as last year is that they went with 3 guards. (4 actually). What we do know with UCONN is that they love to run. They love to run. They love to run. Top guard recruits many love to run too. What we do know from UCONN is that in some years they have put as many as three 1st team all-Americans up in lights. And what we do know is Geno is not tied to Paige being a pg, and Azzi probably not a pg, so a competitive open spot at pg is available as well along with Kiki can also learn to play off the ball too. Why would Kiki not want to run and play with Azzi and Paige as an example, or feed players on the break like Carolyn and with one of her very close friends such as Patterson?

Backseat? More like if she were to come to UCONN, this could be similar to the ShowTime Lakers, and Kiki as a pg potentially feeding Azzi, Paige, Carolyn and Patterson would potentially put this era of a team on an offense execution style of play and efficiency possibly never seen before.

But all this gets automatically dismissed so casually? Nah. Unless one is a halfcourt fan/ the player is, or the player feels without a doubt that they want to be number 1 - day 1- then it's possible to so easily/causally dismiss the chance. But imo that's more how the men's game thinks because they are 1 and done and the money is so extreme.

For me, ofc I'm bias. I'd want to go to a school that wants to run run run if I were an elite skilled guard that is also very athletic to a school that has had big time history of getting players to the pros, as I'm showed a lot on TV in which every year I'm in the FF. UCONN's style fits what I am is a strong possibility that should never be so easily dismissed.
I agree with you on the dismissal of Uconn. Even I've given UCONN a 40% chance, you can't really count them out- slim as it may be. I posted before on UCONN academics. I have seen interviews of other Uconn athletes speak on choosing UCONN and they noted they saw that they were ranked in the top 25 (#23 tied w/ Rutgers-Penn State). I understand the power of the network which is why people go to Ivys and schools like Stanford, MIT. But as some have noted the UCONN brand carries beyond basketball. It carries a lot of weight in business circles, social policy. I found an article I am sure this forum has probably seen given your intense scrutiny and following of WCBB- the huskies in particular. It showed what some players are doing post UCONN. Notes on some recent alumni not in article.
1.Batouley Camara, MA (BUS alum) --Forbes 30 under 30 sports list. -Started global nonprofit organization.
-Recipient of 2020 Billie Jean King Youth Leadership Award . --Released a children's book.

2.Napheesa Collier - WNBA star, Olympian, Entrepreneur.

3.Molly Bent Missionary Represrntative with FOCUS at U Penn.

4.Evelyn Adebayo Spanish League
Accepted into WBCA's coaches class (who knows we may see her back at Storrs?)

5.Kayla Irwin - we know where sh is and we couldn't be happier.
So while Uconn may not be in the Ivys or private big name. UConn WCBB has a big foot print and any recruit I think could do worse. (unbiased of course) P.S. I've attached the link to the article for illustrative purposes only.
UCONN Magazine Article on WCBB Alums
Updates for the article -as I'm sure everyone here knows already -Rizzoti is now President of Connecticut Sun where Morgan Tuck is a Director. Tina Charles is with the Mystics, Renee is a Co-Owner of the Atlanta Dream. Shea we know where she is too). As I said Footprint (or is it paw print)

Reaction Score
can't you say the same thing about Duke? That is closer in her proximity. Also a Stanford, Duke, or Yale education overtops anything Uconn has to offer in Nil. I agree with the poster that said she is looking for more than basketball, also she plays soccer if I am correct. Stanford and the Pac 12 have a great soccer conference.
I am a retired Professor, so I’m keenly aware of the value of college pedigree. Nonetheless, where one goes to graduate school is much more important if one is looking for a career path other than basketball. If her goal, however, is to play professional basketball, the quality of the basketball program becomes much more important. Besides, at Elite Universities, most of the undergraduate courses are taught by Doctoral students, not powerhouse faculty. Her education at UConn is likely to be quite comparable. She would have to go to an elite Liberal Arts college to have a demonstrably superior academic experience and they are all in D3.

Reaction Score
I don't think that's the right question at all. Kiki Rice is versatile and talented enough to contend to be among the five best players on UCONN's roster in her freshman campaign starting in the fall of 2022. UCONN will most likely be graduating three (possibly 4) of its top 5 most talented players (Evina, Christyn, Liv).
Those three (possibly4) aren't in either of the 2 classes I was talking about.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I usually dont jump in on recruiting threads because they are close to worthless. Like I could say that her parents, being Yalies, are in love with the Nutmeg State, know Yale women hoops is not an option and they have a natural aversion to earthquakes,, wild fires, mud slides and In and Out Burger. So it’s a slam dunk for UConn. As many know, and my wife and I were social friends of Rebecca Lobo’s parents, they were less than thrilled that she picked UConn over Stanford and Notre Dame. At that time UConn’s claim to fame was one FF and a brash young coach.

The season can’t come soon enough.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Again, that depends on what she wants. If she wants a degree in the sciences or engineering, perhaps. But for the tenth straight year UConn has academically been ranked in the top 25 in the country among public universities, their Neag School of Education among the top 20, their Sports Management College is ranked 3rd best overall in the country, and their School of Public Finance and Budgeting is 10th. Yeah, Yale, Stanford, and Duke are ranked 5, 6, and 9, respectively overall, but UConn isn't chopped liver. In 2017 UConn was ranked 18th among public universities. As for soccer, Duke is ranked 3rd in the country, Stanford 33rd. That's big time college ball. Think she'll make those teams? Think she doesn't know that in order to excel at either sport at the college level it's near impossible to divide your time between two sports? Think she doesn't understand that her real shot for sports after college is with basketball?
The Business program like Duke, Stanford and Yale are on par they all boast the prestigious AACSB global accreditation. Their Medical school is really good- 98% pass on Boards.

Reaction Score
Kiki is certainly the real deal, and I'd love to see her select UConn. But to expect her to do so borders on fantasy, regardless of Geno's past recruiting triumphs and the UConn program's unparalleled success. Here's why:
1) Former Secy of State Condi Rice is her Aunt and Provost or some such title at Stanford, currently the "It" school for college applicants.
2) I've read on the Boneyard her parents are Yale graduates and respected executives.
3) She is a student at Sidwell Friends in DC, an environment that exposes students broadly to aspirations beyond basketball; meaning surely she has aspirations beyond basketball.
4) If she were to attend UConn, her first two years would require taking a backstage to Paige, Azzi, and probably others. At Stanford the stage will be hers far faster, possibly in Year 1.
5) Last I looked Stanford's program is not too shabby, with a respected coach and recruiter as well.
Sum it all up and Kiki will attend Stanford. I would love to be proven wrong, and if I've missed something, or there's error in my logic, no doubt BYers will let me know.
I thought her aunt is Susan (not Condi) Rice.
And I'm still hoping, praying and dreaming every day, with my fingers crossed, that she choses UConn.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The Business program like Duke, Stanford and Yale are on par they all boast the prestigious AACSB global accreditation. Their Medical school is really good- 98% pass on Boards.
Business and Med school are both graduate programs. So after KiKi graduates from UConn she’ll have plenty of time to earn a graduate degree, unless of course she’s too busy tearing up the W, competing at the Olympics and earning a bundle of money playing basketball overseas. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom