Chasing Kiki Rice -A waste of UConn's time? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chasing Kiki Rice -A waste of UConn's time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Any opinion that equates Kiki Rice to fools gold is not worth the time to read. Unfortunately I read it. No new facts, no new perspectives, just a negative opinion of UConn. Good job troll, you got me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I usually dont jump in on recruiting threads because they are close to worthless. Like I could say that her parents, being Yalies, are in love with the Nutmeg State, know Yale women hoops is not an option and they have a natural aversion to earthquakes,, wild fires, mud slides and In and Out Burger. So it’s a slam dunk for UConn. As many know, and my wife and I were social friends of Rebecca Lobo’s parents, they were less than thrilled that she picked UConn over Stanford and Notre Dame. At that time UConn’s claim to fame was one FF and a brash young coach.

The season can’t come soon enough.
When I was listing the UConn recruits who spurned Stanford for UConn I inadvertently left out the most important one, Rebecca, who chose UConn despite the fact that her parents, who were both educators, dearly wanted her to go to Stanford.

As you point out, UConn hadn’t done much of anything on the national front, although a brash young coach had taken the program from the depths of futility to respectability.

Rebecca chose UConn because of Geno. I would never bet against Geno securing a commitment from any recruit. Talk about “fool’s gold.”

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
If basketball is the dream of any top notch recruit, and going to the final four, hoping for a professional career, being taught by the best basketball mind in WCBB history, if these are the goals of any great high school player, why would they go anywhere other than UConn. Guys, these girls (or women ) are great players because they have put their other life on hold to perfect their basketball skills. They will go where they think their dreams could come true, and to me, UConn is the only place to consider.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Business and Med school are both graduate programs. So after KiKi graduates from UConn she’ll have plenty of time to earn a graduate degree, unless of course she’s too busy tearing up the W, competing at the Olympics and earning a bundle of money playing basketball overseas. :)
Yes true- just used as a frame of reference as to academic quality

Reaction Score
Any opinion that equates Kiki Rice to fools gold is not worth the time to read. Unfortunately I read it. No new facts, no new perspectives, just a negative opinion of UConn. Good job troll, you got me.
My first statement was "Kiki is certainly the real deal, and I'd love to see her select UConn." Fool's Gold referred to the recruitment not to her ability. As for negative opinion of UConn, I'm writing this note and am able to view a framed picture of the team after it's 1000'th victory (over Oklahoma) along with a picture of Geno and CD sent after a {for me} sizable 4-figure donation to UConn and more than I donated to my Ivy alma mater. I wish I could have afforded more. So kindly disabuse yourself of any notion that I have negative opinions of or troll UConn. I love UConn and am grateful for the sheer pleasure of following them and watching them play.

Geno and CD are right up there with Nick Saban in my pantheon of coaches whose approach and contribution to their programs and the players they graduate is beyond the game itself and sending them to the pros! But Saban doesn't get every one he recruits, and neither does Geno. I won't go through the list of years past, but more recently we've lost Haley Jones, Cameron Brink, and Lauren Betts to Stanford, and Boston to SC. I don't ignore past successes starting with Rebecca, and including Diana, KML, and Lou to mention but a few west coasters.

The point though is players have more options each year to win championships than they did in the past. Perhaps most threatening for me to UConn's long-term position was in Lauren Betts's announcement selecting Stanford wherein she said that Stanford was in the PAC-12, which she said was the thoughest league and she would be facing the best competition every game - or words to that effect. THAT, THE BIG EAST. sadly is UConn's handicap in recruiting. Geno and CD do a fabulous job despite that, and year in and out prove it is the most successful WBB - AND ARGUABLY THE MOST SUCCESSFUL TEAM SPORT - program by far!

Reaction Score
Business and Med school are both graduate programs. So after KiKi graduates from UConn she’ll have plenty of time to earn a graduate degree, unless of course she’s too busy tearing up the W, competing at the Olympics and earning a bundle of money playing basketball overseas. :)
I don't think she her family would consider such earnings "a bundle." Decent money? Yes. But "bundles" cannot (yet) be made on basketball courts by women. They strike me as a Five Percenter family.

Reaction Score

also anyone doubting her soccer abilities better think twice

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't think she her family would consider such earnings "a bundle." Decent money? Yes. But "bundles" cannot (yet) be made on basketball courts by women. They strike me as a Five Percenter family.
Not saying that Rice will be among the top professionals, but between overseas earnings and endorsements, top WBB players can earn 7 figure incomes. In 2014 when DT skipped the WNBA season to focus on playing professionally in Russia, her estimated salary for that season was $1.5 million. Stewie has earned a comparable salary to play professionally in China.

Again, that’s not to suggest that Rice will have a similar earnings potential, but between the W, Overseas & endorsement deals most star NBA players have the ability to earn a healthy 6 figure income.

Best of all, players are getting paid to play a game they’ve been playing since they were kids, a game they love. That sure beats dressing up and sitting in an office all day.

Reaction Score
Obviously I cannot read KiKi’s mind, but I would be amazed if she is worried about playing time in college. She is that good and I suspect she knows it.

In case I wasn’t clear with my post, I absolutely expect her to compete for PT and a starting spot as a freshman if she comes to UConn.
I would expand your thought and say that most Top10 players are focused on winning the National Championship. Playing time is something the second tier of players are concerned with.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I hate to be the Debbie Downer but if we expect to use "winning a NC" as criteria for coming to UConn, we NEED to end the drought this season!!!
However, we would still be the front runner if the criteria is "multiple NCs during your college career".

Reaction Score
Given academics gap, Stanford is going to win out every time. The recent top women’s basketball players to come out of Colorado and head west, Belibi and Betts, were classroom as well as basketball standouts, though the fact that Colorado and Stanford are in same conference meant friends and relatives would be able to watch them once a year.

Speaking of academics, there are currently three private high “schools” in Colorado that are essentially basketball academies with ten to twenty enrollees. Classes are designed around up to three practices a day. So far it is men only and it has attracted top talent, both domestic and abroad, including a potential No. 1 recruit. College scholarships are a gimme so the real goal is eventually the NBA. I am waiting to see when and if similar academies are established for women. This is not a pretty picture.

Reaction Score
Not saying that Rice will be among the top professionals, but between overseas earnings and endorsements, top WBB players can earn 7 figure incomes. In 2014 when DT skipped the WNBA season to focus on playing professionally in Russia, her estimated salary for that season was $1.5 million. Stewie has earned a comparable salary to play professionally in China.

Again, that’s not to suggest that Rice will have a similar earnings potential, but between the W, Overseas & endorsement deals most star NBA players have the ability to earn a healthy 6 figure income.

Best of all, players are getting paid to play a game they’ve been playing since they were kids, a game they love. That sure beats dressing up and sitting in an office all day.
Yes top players can make big bucks with foreign contracts and endorsements probably being far more important than their modest WNBA salaries. From a potential non star standpoint, my best guess is she ultimately has a long WNBA career, but more likely as a versatile role player than a big star. Modest endorsements and a WNBA salary, even combined is not that great, but American players abroad make considerably more.

Quite a few players can get contracts in foreign leagues even if they are not good enough for the WNBA, and have a modest career playing the game they love, and combine it with a part time job here in the off-season. Kiki is very likely to be able to make a way above average income, at least if she is willing to play abroad, even if she is a middle of the pack WNBA player, which might be her floor.

The NIL scenario will be interesting too. For a player like Kiki, would she have more opportunities as say a star bench player on Uconn, or as a starter on Duke as a hypothetical comparison? This will be a factor for some recruits. How far down a roster will those opportunities be? For Uconn's sake I hope it is pretty far.

Maybe one unique example from the past is the "Super Bowl Shuffle" Chicago Bears. That team completely captured the imagination of a nation, not just the Chicago area, and of course they had lots of very interesting characters as well. During that season and for some time afterwords, it seemed like there was 15-20 players getting endorsement deals. The big names of course got the national deals but many players got local deals.

I know that is different from NIL opportunities, but if a team is famous enough, the opportunities can extend way past the top players. I hope that happens for us.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
My first statement was "Kiki is certainly the real deal, and I'd love to see her select UConn." Fool's Gold referred to the recruitment not to her ability. As for negative opinion of UConn, I'm writing this note and am able to view a framed picture of the team after it's 1000'th victory (over Oklahoma) along with a picture of Geno and CD sent after a {for me} sizable 4-figure donation to UConn and more than I donated to my Ivy alma mater. I wish I could have afforded more. So kindly disabuse yourself of any notion that I have negative opinions of or troll UConn. I love UConn and am grateful for the sheer pleasure of following them and watching them play.

Geno and CD are right up there with Nick Saban in my pantheon of coaches whose approach and contribution to their programs and the players they graduate is beyond the game itself and sending them to the pros! But Saban doesn't get every one he recruits, and neither does Geno. I won't go through the list of years past, but more recently we've lost Haley Jones, Cameron Brink, and Lauren Betts to Stanford, and Boston to SC. I don't ignore past successes starting with Rebecca, and including Diana, KML, and Lou to mention but a few west coasters.

The point though is players have more options each year to win championships than they did in the past. Perhaps most threatening for me to UConn's long-term position was in Lauren Betts's announcement selecting Stanford wherein she said that Stanford was in the PAC-12, which she said was the thoughest league and she would be facing the best competition every game - or words to that effect. THAT, THE BIG EAST. sadly is UConn's handicap in recruiting. Geno and CD do a fabulous job despite that, and year in and out prove it is the most successful WBB - AND ARGUABLY THE MOST SUCCESSFUL TEAM SPORT - program by far!
Did you read your title? Here it is "Recruiting Kiki Rice - Chasing Fool's Gold". It is definitely a simile construction that compares recruiting to chasing and Kiki Rice to fool's gold. Regardless of your intentions, you compared Kiki Rice to fool's gold.

Extol you high opinion of UConn all you want but I did not speak to your opinions for they were not clarified in the post.

Why would you let your opinion of Lauren Betts statements affect your understanding of Kiki's intentions? Kiki is a different person with her own evaluations to make and I do not know if Lauren Betts' opinion matters to Kiki. Did it not occur to you the counter to Lauren's comment is, "Playing in a game against the best will help, but not as much as practicing against the best every day."

I accept your word that you are not a troll and do apologize. Seeing that it takes 3 extensive paragraphs to explain your original post, perhaps you did not clarify your position very well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What is this "washing" you speak of?:confused:
Bath Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
It is likely that Christyn & Evina will be on to the W next year. If KiKi Rice doesn’t believe she can compete for PT and/or a starting spot next season at UConn, she’s not the competitor we all believe her to be.
With Westbrook and Williams leaving, I’m sure she sees that she can step in early with playing time so there’s nothing to be worried about, it’s actually almost basketball wise a perfect scenario for her.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I understand that in addition to a full scholarship, Duke is offering KiKi a lifetime supply of donuts from Carolina Glazed Donuts in Durham

It’ll be hard to turn that down……

I was thinking you were just making a joke and that there was no such place called Carolina Glazed Donuts. Then I hit Google.. And saw pics.. And saw the location... :oops:. I should have never looked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom