Chasing Kiki Rice -A waste of UConn's time? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Chasing Kiki Rice -A waste of UConn's time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Go to YouTube and watch Kiki Rice day in the life. Everything about that clip tells me it’s UConn for the fact she wants to win championships multiple. She wants to play with friends Azzi and Saylor whom she’s closest to and have Azzi and Paige trainer. Wants somewhere she can compete and be competitive. But Kara L is doing a good job recruiting for Duke so far but it’ll take a couple years before I see them in the final 4 or NC. As for winning I’m pretty sure Kiki knows UConn has a good chance at least winning 2 NC and get drafted. But the choice is hers and wherever she lands it’s her decision not ours. Plus she will get plenty of minutes if not start at UConn since Westbrook and Williams will be gone.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
To the OP ... with modern transfer rates, any time spent recruiting HS players that end up choosing another school isn't wasted, in is just an investment in the transfer market the next couple of years. :eek:

(God, I wish this thread would die already!)

Reaction Score
I usually avoids the guessing game about where a recruit will set her X. That's fool gold, but I can see other meanings in the project. For example, it brings to the surface (yet again) the petty commerce mentality of the public school educated citizen. Before I offend anyone/all let me hurry and say that I am a graduate school graduate from Uconn. I have never seen my educ as inferior to that of Stanford, Duke, etc., In fact I and some of my colleagues could have gone to those 'dream' schools (and a few did as undergraduate). Of course we are not Americans and in Europe (France being radically different-- although they say that the old elite system is being dismantled) education = public. As a person working in the university setting, I cannot understand why anyone would think that a student wanting to play a (even 2) Div 1 sport will get a better educ at Stanford or Duke then they would at UCLA, Uconn, etc. Everyone here repeats this claim as if it's accepted truth! My knowledge tells me that we have no data on these students. Most of a Div 1 student time at any university is spent with fellow Div 1 students, travelling, playing, practicing, etc. This is radically different from the random student B who can pick like-mined students to form a working group. Of course the general student body will be different and a professor at Stanford my not have to waste his/her time dealing with grammar, attentiveness, etc., all well known in the public schools. And I will leave unexamined here all the fake classes at these schools that are designed to get these Div 1 sport students matriculated. It is only at the very small elite schools (w/ 5-6 students per class) in the U.S. that the elitism really shines-- and they do not participate in high income sports. (Let me be clear: Even the most gifted student can only take advantage of a tiny amount of what any univ have to offer. If you are a lucky undergraduate you may get into a class given by a senior or distinguished prof during your last year. But many here will be glad that they are sitting in the same room where the famous prof Marcus held a talk 20 min ago. Whatever make you happy. (My wife asked me-- long before we met, if I were sniffing. Being where ever she stood or frequent)

So, every recruitment cycle when the cacaphony of noise about average Uconn competing against high academic such-and-such, I am reminded of George Harrison's While My Guitar Gently Weeps:
"I don't know why nobody told you, how to unfold your love.
I don't know why someone control you, they bought and sold you.
With every mistake we must be surely learning, still my guitar weeps.
I don't know why you were diverted, you were perverted too.
I don't know how you were inverted, no one alerted you .........."

Of course, it is people like many of you Boneyarders who will, in the end, judge these individuals for post-bachelor edu and jobs, so I would say to a recruit like Rice: they will like you when you are playing for them, but they will hold you guilty for not having a Stanford/Duke degree in hand (only their al m).
Why don't we stop pissing on ourselves!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Go to YouTube and watch Kiki Rice day in the life. Everything about that clip tells me it’s UConn for the fact she wants to win championships multiple. She wants to play with friends Azzi and Saylor whom she’s closest to and have Azzi and Paige trainer. Wants somewhere she can compete and be competitive. But Kara L is doing a good job recruiting for Duke so far but it’ll take a couple years before I see them in the final 4 or NC. As for winning I’m pretty sure Kiki knows UConn has a good chance at least winning 2 NC and get drafted. But the choice is hers and wherever she lands it’s her decision not ours. Plus she will get plenty of minutes if not start at UConn since Westbrook and Williams will be gone.
CT, if you only get one prediction right this season, I hope this one is it!! Rice is going to ball for someone during her college career, I would really really like it to be for UConn. One thing we know for sure. If she does come to Storrs, she’ll never be sorry. :cool:

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
To the OP ... with modern transfer rates, any time spent recruiting HS players that end up choosing another school isn't wasted, in is just an investment in the transfer market the next couple of years. :eek:

(God, I wish this thread would die already!)
That part
(I wish this thread would die already!)

Reaction Score
My two cents.
Duke and UConn both academically superior schools- Duke gets the nod on this factor.
At Uconn WBB team rules the roost.
Duke- football, men’s hoops, lacrosse, soccer, women’s hoops- shared stage.
Uconn- express train to pros for WBB.
UConn- legacy of alumni from WBB
UConn- short hop to NYC- greatest city in the world.
ESPN located in Bristol ( professional opportunities)
UConn- superior coaching and player development
UConn- compete for national title EVERY YEAR.
Outside of the classroom, advantage to UConn for many reasons.
What will she do?
Who knows?
But, I’d love to have her!!

Reaction Score
Is weather ever a factor? With school year going from September to May, all the winter months are in play. The winter is nicer for sure in California and North Carolina although it still can get cold there, but nothing like UConn. Just wondering

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Kiki obviously has tons of potential to become an elite player and to market herself. With the NIL aspect now in play, which programs offer the most to any player, let alone which program develops the most players for the pros and for life after in WBB-UConn and the rest are not even close. The media coverage alone for UConn dwarfs all the other programs. Duke, while now trying to make up ground, is an after thought on the National consciousness. Contending for a title every year comments only means 1 SCHOOL as UConn has made 13 consecutive Final Fours so if that is truly her goal, Duke is out. Remember, last year Kara quit so... :rolleyes:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Kiki obviously has tons of potential to become an elite player and to market herself. With the NIL aspect now in play, which programs offer the most to any player, let alone which program develops the most players for the pros and for life after in WBB-UConn and the rest are not even close. The media coverage alone for UConn dwarfs all the other programs. Duke, while now trying to make up ground, is an after thought on the National consciousness. Contending for a title every year comments only means 1 SCHOOL as UConn has made 13 consecutive Final Fours so if that is truly her goal, Duke is out. Remember, last year Kara quit so... :rolleyes:
3) The NIL prospects while attending UConn are conceivably more lucrative than if she attended Stanford. Let's face it, Stanford is great college, but UConn is a brand.

4) The national attention she'll receive by the media and by her teams appearance on national TV is greater if she attends UConn rather than Stanford.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Remember Critical Success Factors? All the rage in the world of corporate buzzwords in the 1970s and 1980s, the term is now largely out of fashion and little used. But… let us not overlook

Earthquakes (California schools score higher than Connecticut.)

Huge wildfires (California schools score higher than Connecticut.)

Mudslides (California schools score higher than Connecticut.)

Droughts (California schools score higher than Connecticut.)

We, on the other hand, do have snow. So do parts of northern CA.

Reaction Score
I think we have a shot but Stanford leads. Her aunt (Susan not Condi) went to Stanford as did at least one of her cousins. But First Night attendance is a good sign. Her dad wasn’t a bad player at Yale.

Reaction Score
I think we have a shot but Stanford leads. Her aunt (Susan not Condi) went to Stanford as did at least one of her cousins. But First Night attendance is a good sign. Her dad wasn’t a bad player at Yale.
Her Aunt went to Stanford? Who knew? Jerry Rice played football for a team from NorCal. We’re doomed. However since I love hijacking threads, Is Senator Par Toomey able to pull some strings to get Ceira to commit to UConn?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Her Aunt went to Stanford? Who knew? Jerry Rice played football for a team from NorCal. We’re doomed. However since I love hijacking threads, Is Senator Par Toomey able to pull some strings to get Ceira to commit to UConn?
For what it’s worth Pat Toomey is a Harvard grad.

Reaction Score
My two cents.
Duke and UConn both academically superior schools- Duke gets the nod on this factor.
What will she do?
Who knows?
Yup!!! Because she loves to ball in NYC

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
My two cents.
What will she do?
Who knows?

Besides milking cows... what other outside of the classroom things are to UConn's advantage over Duke, Stanford, Arizona, or UCLA?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not fair, not true! The Duke WBB players decided to suspend the season. Kara supported the players decisions.
The players had some very valid concerns and wanted assurances that opposing players were receiving the same level of testing and following similar protocols. Neither the NCAA nor the ACC could provide the Duke players with those assurance so they decided to act in what they though was their best interest. The entire Ivy league did not play sports last year, are you considering them quitters also?

Reaction Score
My two cents.
What will she do?
Who knows?
why would Espn want to help Uconn when they don't carry the Big east anymore? Also a short hop to NYC? So basically the best thing about living in Connecticut, is that you want to leave Connecticut. This is definitely not a good list for someone to come to Uconn lol

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Besides milking cows... what other outside of the classroom things are to UConn's advantage over Duke, Stanford, Arizona, or UCLA?
Uhm. Cow tippin, Dairy Barn , Ice Cream, real maple syrup grown near by, snow and lots of it , fall foliage, 4 distinct season not 2.5 or less, very little cactus in the entire state, real humidity in the summer not that dry heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom