Charli Collier will announce her college today | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Charli Collier will announce her college today

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I realize that Collier had one big offense performance against the weakest team the US faced and then was so ineffective and in so much foul trouble that she ended up averaging 7.7 minutes per game for the entire tourney. Am I supposed to extrapolate those numbers when she wasn't playing well enough to get more than that? Nelson-Ododa played 3 times as much because she was the team's best player. Collier's efficiency rating was 5.9 while Nelson-Ododa's was 15.6, easily the best on the team.
Geno wasn't her coach!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
With Charli in the fold and if we are so lucky to get a commitment from Williams (2018) and Sam (2019), Tony will be able to refresh his 195-0 prediction :)
Laughing-Hard-Meme-07.jpg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Is there any real chance of getting the pure post player Ododa and the more "forward" Collier? I think they would compliment each other: a sort of Tina and Breanna, though those two didn't play together.

Is Coach Geno serious about both? Or did he want one or the other?

That's an awful lot of centerish size. I really doubt they'll go for both--it doesn't really fit into what kind of teams UConn has had. Geno likes versatility and players who can play numerous positions. It would be a very different approach with those two together.

Reaction Score
If you think my pointing out that Collier looked raw to me when I saw her play this summer is "judgmental" then you need to quit following sports and conversing with those who do. Strangely, you seem to ignore the umpteen thousand other comments I've made about UConn recruits and targets including Collier herself.

So for the record, I never backed off my comment. She looked raw. She was foul prone. She was miles and miles behind Nelson-Ododa. Deal with it.
I dont know if you have them confused but Collier looks like the better player or will be the better player in the future. Shes has a better offensive game than ONO they both run the floor and rebound. But what i like about CC is her patience and foot work down low. But those are from the videos.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I dont know if you have them confused but Collier looks like the better player or will be the better player in the future. Shes has a better offensive game than ONO they both run the floor and rebound. But what i like about CC is her patience and foot work down low. But those are from the videos.

I don't have them confused, but I do disagree with your assessment. Not that it matters, but Nelson-Ododa is much quicker and more athletic than Collier, and has a chance to be a defensive force all over the court. Nelson-Ododa was the best '18 prospect I saw this year.

Reaction Score
OH NO, not tragic---great story---Duke couldn't or wouldn't fix her leg and Geno jumped in and had UConn do it. She was given a RARE opportunity--she played when she wanted to--when she was up to it--and in those times she was exceptional.
Great story--great display of a tough guy, wise guy Italian whose heart went out for a great kid--whose parent made her turn down his offer INITIALLY to come to Ct--where she wanted to go. Beautiful , just beautiful!!! If anything sum's up the UConn WWB Family program---that is it!!

In fact, there was a story about the multiple cortisone shots she was given, when she should have been kept from playing or working out. Geno honored his commitment to give her a scholarship when he was recruiting her by taking her as a transfer. He respected the fact that she was hobbled, and accommodated her injury. Never forced her to work out when she was hurting. Shea was quoted as telling her that she understood her pain, literally. She contributed mightily when she was on the court.

Lot of class displayed by Coach Geno.

Reaction Score
One thing we all have to realize is that both Collier and Nelson-Ododa are only HS juniors and 2 years away from college. An awful lot can change in 2 years and Collier has recently admitted to being driven "to be legendary" since the unfortunate passing of her father.

Reaction Score
If you think my pointing out that Collier looked raw to me when I saw her play this summer is "judgmental" then you need to quit following sports and conversing with those who do. Strangely, you seem to ignore the umpteen thousand other comments I've made about UConn recruits and targets including Collier herself.

So for the record, I never backed off my comment. She looked raw. She was foul prone. She was miles and miles behind Nelson-Ododa. Deal with it.
Sluconn, as one of the few Texas residents who follows womens college basketball (makes it easy to get UConn tickets at SMU and other games!), have seen many videos of Collier and agree with your assessment. Physically imposing and while it goes in, awkward outside shot and moves that are successful more from size. Not as fluid as you would think from reading this board. That being said, her early commit should enable greater coaching and accelerate her development. Her commitment to be great and the ability to play outstanding HS and US competition should contribute to an outstanding college career.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sluconn, as one of the few Texas residents who follows womens college basketball (makes it easy to get UConn tickets at SMU and other games!), have seen many videos of Collier and agree with your assessment.

She has offensive skills and obviously size. She also seems to be smart and dedicated to improving going by her comments. But I do think there's a chance she could frustrate Geno for a while like Tina Charles did for two years even though Tina was still a good player early on. Again, two more years to develop and, I hope, one season to sit behind Azura Stevens and not be rushed into having to be great out of the box.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting discussion re USA basketball, but I am always a little leery of taking to much from player comparisons, especially when there is such a huge disparity in minutes - ONO started and played 24 mpg - Collier came off the bench and played 8 mpg - not surprisingly ONO out rebounded by 3X and outscored by 2X Collier. ONO also shot 51% on FT which is a little worrisome while Collier was at 85% on, you guessed it, about 1/3rd the attempts.

USA basketball, especially at that 'first go round' is a tricky thing - very short team time, interesting coaching, and a totally new experience/format for these kids - the people who often thrive are those who are willing to be somewhat selfish (not a detraction - many of my favorite players thrived - Maya, Stewart, Lou for example) while those who are more team oriented may have a harder time. With this particular 'class' USA basketball obviously struggled in both the selection process and games - I don't think any single class teams have gone through the complete revamp that this cycle did between the 16 and 17 teams, and the results for both years were 'disappointing' Bronze medals. Whether that was player quality, coaching, or selection we will never know.

Geno has been recruiting Collier persistently so the coaches must really like her potential as well as her personality and her family. Tina may be an apt comparison, because I suspect that Collier in her first meeting with the coaches will say, as Tina did, I want to be an AA and the best post player in the country when I graduate. And like she did with Tina, CD may end up having the same conversation with Collier some months later to the effect of 'you told us what you wanted on day one, if your ambitions have changed since then just tell me and Geno and I will back off!' :rolleyes:

Anyway - I am really excited to know that Uconn got their first choice of post players in the 2018 class. :):):):):)!!!!!

Reaction Score
I don't have them confused, but I do disagree with your assessment. Not that it matters, but Nelson-Ododa is much quicker and more athletic than Collier, and has a chance to be a defensive force all over the court. Nelson-Ododa was the best '18 prospect I saw this year.

DO you think Collier is a better center than a power forward? A power forward would have to defend more of the quick stretch 4's. For example Dolson was always a center.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
DO you think Collier is a better center than a power forward? A power forward would have to defend more of the quick stretch 4's. For example Dolson was always a center.
While looking at the USA basketball site one thing that stood out to me is the weight difference between Collier and Nelson Ododa is 33 lbs - 185 v. 152- Collier is a big girl - that is the same listed height and basically the same age.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Geno has been recruiting Collier persistently so the coaches must really like her potential as well as her personality and her family.
This is what I fall back on, that Geno has pursued her hard for quite a while, and that she has accepted relatively early. Tells me Geno wanted her and that she wanted UConn.

Reaction Score
In fact, there was a story about the multiple cortisone shots she was given, when she should have been kept from playing or working out. Geno honored his commitment to give her a scholarship when he was recruiting her by taking her as a transfer. He respected the fact that she was hobbled, and accommodated her injury. Never forced her to work out when she was hurting. Shea was quoted as telling her that she understood her pain, literally. She contributed mightily when she was on the court.

Lot of class displayed by Coach Geno.

It is good that people like you REMEMBER that Uconn is the National Champion of COMPASSION!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I suspect that Geno woke up this morning with a big old smile on his face and that is good enough for me. Why he's old enough to be whistling this today.

Reaction Score
YOU TOO ROCKY--- Know the Compassion of Geno, Staff, Christine, Coaches and this team---The Hunter failed escapade by Duke and subsequent acceptance of Brittany Hunter by Geno--then add the current team's visit and interaction with the Kids at Ct Children's Hospital speaks loudly. In between those two events---This Staff/Team /Coaches were involved in (I dare say) hundreds of equal events without one note of fanfare!!! You just have to love UC WBB .

Reaction Score
Interesting discussion re USA basketball, but I am always a little leery of taking to much from player comparisons, especially when there is such a huge disparity in minutes - ONO started and played 24 mpg - Collier came off the bench and played 8 mpg - not surprisingly ONO out rebounded by 3X and outscored by 2X Collier. ONO also shot 51% on FT which is a little worrisome while Collier was at 85% on, you guessed it, about 1/3rd the attempts.

USA basketball, especially at that 'first go round' is a tricky thing - very short team time, interesting coaching, and a totally new experience/format for these kids - the people who often thrive are those who are willing to be somewhat selfish (not a detraction - many of my favorite players thrived - Maya, Stewart, Lou for example) while those who are more team oriented may have a harder time. With this particular 'class' USA basketball obviously struggled in both the selection process and games - I don't think any single class teams have gone through the complete revamp that this cycle did between the 16 and 17 teams, and the results for both years were 'disappointing' Bronze medals. Whether that was player quality, coaching, or selection we will never know.

Geno has been recruiting Collier persistently so the coaches must really like her potential as well as her personality and her family. Tina may be an apt comparison, because I suspect that Collier in her first meeting with the coaches will say, as Tina did, I want to be an AA and the best post player in the country when I graduate. And like she did with Tina, CD may end up having the same conversation with Collier some months later to the effect of 'you told us what you wanted on day one, if your ambitions have changed since then just tell me and Geno and I will back off!' :rolleyes:

Anyway - I am really excited to know that Uconn got their first choice of post players in the 2018 class. :):):):):)!!!!!

I'm not sure I like the term SELFISH applied to UC women--but it is apt in a few cases, under desirable circumstances- like most adjectives--it can describe an action favorably or unfavorable. Way too often, as Geno has pointed out --a top player shall acquiesce
to other players rather taking many better shots. even Maya--had to be prodded to -be selfish--Geno called it a Girly thing.

Reaction Score
I am thrilled with Charli. She has gone through a lot and know she will be a great one under Geno. I believe she will be the premier post in wbb if Geno wants her this much

Reaction Score
While looking at the USA basketball site one thing that stood out to me is the weight difference between Collier and Nelson Ododa is 33 lbs - 185 v. 152- Collier is a big girl - that is the same listed height and basically the same age.

Wow--- then imo it may (it still may) minimize how they performed in the games slu and HopJim are speaking of. As slu says (and maybe HopJim implies) Ododa may be better but just like when Dolson never stood out in AAU I believe. Collier looks like a center to me in which her strength will be on the blocks. Thus she needs a team that is going to actually look for her in a structured offense. I get the feeling Ododa does it all and is tall enough and quick enough to impact all positions on the floor at both ends because of her combo of length and quickness while Collier seems like she is more of an impact closer around the basket. And around the basket she looks like a BEAST. That doesn't mean she can't shoot from the outside like Dolson etc but Collier doesn't seem to be exceptionally quick in which she could guard "tall perimeter sf's that can shoot 3's that can play the pf position (i.e. athletic pf's that are quick enough to defend the post while skilled enough to be a weapon from 3) ." But she looks VERY STRONG. OFC I am only looking at some highlight vids and that is it-- nothing else to draw from. But from what I've seen she looks like a tremendous pickup with terrific potential to be "Dolson" a bit better or a bit worse as long as she can pass. But I'm excited. She looks like a potential beast on the blocks. I will be super super excited with Collier if she could pass. She looks like she can score inside even if she appears a bit non-fluid as HopJim says.

Anyone know her wingspan?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I suspect that Geno woke up this morning with a big old smile on his face and that is good enough for me. Why he's old enough to be whistling this today.

Herman's Hermits!! Rocky, you never cease to amaze me.

I don't get the part about the 'rare mono to stereo' business. Sounded like stereo from the git-go to me. Maybe it was remastered from the original tapes to be in stereo rather than in a 45 release in mono.

Anyway, a good tune and a propos to the occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom