OT: - Changes at ESPN | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Changes at ESPN

Reaction Score
I fall into the camp of people who haven't really missed live sports all that much. But for people talking about how they just want to watch sports and not be lectured about politics wouldn't you have to be watching the studio shows to hear that stuff? I mean, if I want to watch a game and I turn on ESPN, I can't recall a time I've heard Boog Sciambi go on a rant about Medicare for All.
Yep, if you don't want to hear politics mixed with sports why would people be tuning into ESPN now? Don't they realize there's no sports going on?

I haven't missed sports either but that's how it always is. I miss going to Cubs and White Sox games and having beer in the sun but when it's summer it's easy to forget about sports. I know when it's cold and dark out I'll be jonesing for college hoops.

Reaction Score
For those of us who love soccer, live sports have been on for a month. And what a month it’s been! With a condensed schedule, there are games on 6 days a week. Of note, I can’t recall a single player in the EPL who was left off the squad for contacting corona since the restart began.

Reaction Score
Can anyone come up with a single witty or profound comment this guy ever had? He exemplifies "a long tradition of existence."
“Very sad to hear of the passing of Gene Wilder, so many funny roles.....and I always wanted to be in that Chocolate Factory”

Reaction Score
Just dropping by to say that Elle Duncan is the absolute worst.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Was done when they hired A-Rod for Sunday Night Baseball. It's too bad because he does have a ton of baseball knowledge but he's just such an insufferable toolbag. This coming from a diehard Yankee fan...
I, and it pains me to say this, like A-Rod as a part of the broadcast team. Definitely adds interesting insights and is actually (gag) likeable.

Reaction Score
I, and it pains me to say this, like A-Rod as a part of the broadcast team. Definitely adds interesting insights and is actually (gag) likeable.
I like A-Rod, where else could I get great insight like this

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Yeah I defended him for a long time because I thought people gave him a bad rap for making a ton of money, but now I've just come to realize that everything about him is and has been a bit phony.

If you watch Screwball on Netflix, it shows how he threw people, including teammates, under the bus when the whole Biogenesis scandal started and the lengths he went to in order to try to keep his name out of it. I always tried to root for him but I just can't anymore.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
“Very sad to hear of the passing of Gene Wilder, so many funny roles.....and I always wanted to be in that Chocolate Factory”
When you think about it, even that's a lazy comment. The Chocolate Factory was a house of horrors for kids.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
everything about him is and has been a bit phony
Well,... yeah. It is his defining characteristic. I can't remember which one, but one of his Yankee teammates referred to him has a "top step Johnny" meaning that when the cameras are on he's on the top step of the dugout cheering... when they are on.

I don't mind him in the booth at all though.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Well,... yeah. It is his defining characteristic. I can't remember which one, but one of his Yankee teammates referred to him has a "top step Johnny" meaning that when the cameras are on he's on the top step of the dugout cheering... when they are on.

I don't mind in the booth at all though.

it only stands out now because so many athletes are the same now. it’s all about the brand/image

Reaction Score
If ESPN went off the air tomorrow I probably would not even notice unless/until a live sporting event like college hoops, NFL or MLB was on and I thought it might be on their air. Otherwise I don't have any interest in their programming. And honestly if we could choose a la carte I'd drop them from my package for the 6 months between March and September. They had a role in what happened to UConn in realignment - they can go pound sand for all I care.
Verizon tried to go a la carte a few years ago and ESPN sued them ASAP and they quickly withdrew the option. It’s really insane we need to pay for channels we don’t want to get a few u want.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how or why Jason Fitz is somehow all over ESPN? That guy definitely is lame.

Isn't his show basically just him playing clips from other shows and maybe commentating on them? It's like a commercial for all their other programming.

Reaction Score
That’s all ESPN is a commercial for themselves it’s why I don’t listen or watch as much

Reaction Score
Haven't watched in quite some time, but I like the promos they do. My favorite one was Chicken Curry . . .

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how or why Jason Fitz is somehow all over ESPN? That guy definitely is lame.

He was a county music guy I think. I think ESPN was pushing for cross cultural content.

Reaction Score
Was moreso referring to podcasts but I definitely understand what you mean. I listen to a lot of media and definitely appreciate certain aspects of it. I honestly can't remember the last time I watched sportscenter and I was a DAILY watcher my entire childhood. I remember watching it twice certain because they used to just have the same segments on repeat.
Yesss. Espn and sportscenter not what they used to be. SportsCenter used To be great when I was a kid- couldn’t wait to put it on and watch all the crazy highlights(then watch the reruns again)

Reaction Score
Wait, what? SVP deserves to be canned? He's not amazing but he's pretty much the best thing they have going.

I swear the BY has some of the oddest takes around :mad:
SVP one of the very few reasons to watch ESPN nowadays unless a live game is on. His “bad Beats “ segment is great

Reaction Score
ESPN "talent" has taken a gonzo twist on sports reporting where they try to insert themselves into everything.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One of the most bizarre rants by ESPN's NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski who fbombed a US senator online. Suspended for an undisclosed amount of time.

ESPN not reporting it at all.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Says Big Mike going back to college football analyst and Trey is running the new morning circus with three other personalities.

Not easy running a radio program with four personalities when there isn't a clear alpha everyone else defers to for time and content.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom