OT: - Changes at ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Changes at ESPN

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I don't know much about radio but thought it was telling that after years of doing a daily show, Golic (as far as I know) could never be left alone in the booth.

Reaction Score
People still listen to radio?
I still listen to radio in my car. I don't want to hassle with streaming from my phone while driving.

I used to listen to ESPN in the mornings driving to work or when taking my lunch. I never got the ESPN love affair with Greenberg either. Cutting down Le Betard's show for Greenberg's show makes no sense to me either. I like Le Betard's irreverent approach to sports and enjoy listening to guys like Tim Kurkjian. But then again, I am not part of the target demographic either.

Reaction Score
ESPN isn't even about sports anymore. I used to watch SportsCenter every day before school, every day when I got home from school, and I fell asleep to it. Nowadays I can't even watch a single show without getting irritated. Every program is now centered around politics or social issues. When I turn on ESPN, I want to see SPORTS. Enough of our lives are politicized as it is. It's sad to see what ESPN has evolved into.
It's strange how a few years ago, ESPN tried to steer clear of politics and parted ways with people who wouldn't walk the line (Jemelle Hill). Now, it's almost all they do. Especially since there's no live sports to talk about. "First Take" with Kellerman and Stephen A. Smith might as well be prime time MSNBC.

Reaction Score
It's strange how a few years ago, ESPN tried to steer clear of politics and parted ways with people who wouldn't walk the line (Jemelle Hill). Now, it's almost all they do. Especially since there's no live sports to talk about. "First Take" with Kellerman and Stephen A. Smith might as well be prime time MSNBC.

Exactly. Jemele Hill was, and still is, unbearable to listen to regarding sports. She can’t report on a single story without incorporating race into the conversation. Max Kellerman, just forget it. I can’t stand the dude. He adds nothing to any topic.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I cannot remember the last time I watched ESPN, outside of a live sporting event. I listen to the Le Batard radio show when I am on the road, but that is typically the only time I tune in to the radio station.

Max Kellerman knows boxing and that is where he should stay focused. I always found it strange ESPN threw Stephen A. in to the boxing mix. I have to mute him anytime he starts talking because he knows nothing about the sport and just spews nonsense.

Reaction Score
Podcasts are where it's at, though I will listen to Dan Patrick or Rich Eisen on occasion when I'm in the office and it's relatively quiet. They're still great at their craft and they do it without ego. It's funny how far things have come, where once upon a time Dan Patrick was seen as the smug sports personality, along with Olbermann, and now he's one of the most level-headed, tame guys around. No hot takes, minimal stupid/annoying segments.

I can't remember the last time ESPN had a tolerable sports talk show. Mike & Mike wasn't for me. I don't need to say anything about Cowherd. LeBatard is insufferable.

When I'm in the car though it's always podcasts. There are so many good sports ones nowadays and you can avoid the 7-9 minute commercial breaks that plague sports radio.

Reaction Score
Does anyone even listen to sports radio during working hours? Seems like biggest audiences are morning and afternoon commutes.
I catch some sports radio while driving in to work, maybe a bit if running errands or going out during lunch and then catch some on the ride home. And unless I'm on a road trip there isn't any chance I'm listening to sports radio at night.
Even if they record them for listening later or put them on a podcast, I'd never hear a second of the new Greenie show, Mike Jr show, Fitz, Spain, etc. Part of the pain when you have to have so much content to cover so many mediums.

Mad Dog Sports sometimes. Torre and Kanell are ok at times. But in all reality not as much as I used to.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how or why Jason Fitz is somehow all over ESPN? That guy definitely is lame.

Reaction Score
Has that happened though? All I see is people stating that ESPN getting political was a driving force in them losing interest in the channel. Is it political to desire apolitical sports media?
It has happened, and it's the same people doing it in this thread that always do it

Reaction Score
If ESPN went off the air tomorrow I probably would not even notice unless/until a live sporting event like college hoops, NFL or MLB was on and I thought it might be on their air. Otherwise I don't have any interest in their programming. And honestly if we could choose a la carte I'd drop them from my package for the 6 months between March and September. They had a role in what happened to UConn in realignment - they can go pound sand for all I care.

Reaction Score
Podcasts are where it's at, though I will listen to Dan Patrick or Rich Eisen on occasion when I'm in the office and it's relatively quiet. They're still great at their craft and they do it without ego. It's funny how far things have come, where once upon a time Dan Patrick was seen as the smug sports personality, along with Olbermann, and now he's one of the most level-headed, tame guys around. No hot takes, minimal stupid/annoying segments.

I can't remember the last time ESPN had a tolerable sports talk show. Mike & Mike wasn't for me. I don't need to say anything about Cowherd. LeBatard is insufferable.

When I'm in the car though it's always podcasts. There are so many good sports ones nowadays and you can avoid the 7-9 minute commercial breaks that plague sports radio.
Since I starting working from home, I started listening to Dan Patrick. It is a good show without any ego. Too bad they're on vacation this week. Even when Keith and Dan were must see, I never thought of Dan being overly smug. I enjoyed Sportscenter and ESPN back then but that seems like such a long time ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom