Champions League Draw | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Champions League Draw

Reaction Score
45DAD72E-B5F0-4232-8A30-5CDAA71757BE.jpeg

Reaction Score
Liverpool was awesome today.
Brilliant in the second half. The performance they needed to get the momentum back in this title charge.

Can almost guarantee we draw a Manchester club tomorrow...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Apparently, Gareth Southgate fears that the Champions League will interfere with England's Nations League preparation. I'm sure it will but does anyone besides him care?

Reaction Score
Well, my secondary team (after Arsenal) Lyon with about 1/4 the budget of their neighbors to the southwest, held on for the first half admirably at Camp Nou. Then, Messi showed-up in the second 45 and that was it.

So out of 8 quarterfinal teams, 4 are from the Premiership. Maybe an English Club will finally win it this year? Of course, as an Arsneal fan, I am torn between rooting for an English term versus figuring out which of the 4 teams I despise the least. I really do not want to see Rondaldo again, so no rooting for Juventus. Barcelons is just too smug, though they are going to be driven by the dream of dancing victoriously with the Cup on Real's home pitch. So, guess I am rooting for the young guns from Amsterdam, Ajax.

Reaction Score
Apparently, Gareth Southgate fears that the Champions League will interfere with England's Nations League preparation. I'm sure it will but does anyone besides him care?
Each of those four countries - England, Portugal - Netherlands will have to deal. Switzerland not so much.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Quarters

Ajax vs Juventus
Liverpool vs Porto
Tottenham vs Man City
Man United vs Barcelona

Reaction Score
As a Spurs fan, City would not have been what I picked. But there are only good teams left and you have to beat the best ones eventually.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Quarters

Ajax vs Juventus
Liverpool vs Porto
Tottenham vs Man City
Man United vs Barcelona

I try to live by the motto of "be careful what you ask for", but as a Juve fan this is exactly what I asked for...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
1-0 sets up nicely for Spurs. They defend very well and have the fire power to sneak one in at the Etihad.
Son is on such a good run, I can see him scoring next game making City have to score 3.

Reaction Score
Son is on such a good run, I can see him scoring next game making City have to score 3.
If Sissoko plays the way he played today, they have a great chance. He’s so underrated for them.

Reaction Score
Agreed on all of the above. Looks like Kane might be out for some time, however

Reaction Score
Agreed on all of the above. Looks like Kane might be out for some time, however

If Kane is out for the rest of the season, do the Spurs focus on wining the Champions League or finising in the Top 4 of the Premiership? Not sure they can do both without him.

Reaction Score
I am not optimistic Spurs will get the result they need at City next week, so probably won't be an issue.
Should they advance over City (doubtful), and then lose badly in the next rounds 1st leg, then maybe he focuses on the league during the second leg. That would be the only scenario where he doesn't go all out for a result.

With all 3 of the other clubs (Arsenal, United, and Chelsea) vying for 3rd and 4th still alive in Europe, it keeps a level field... lot's of midweek matches for all 4.

Spurs run in to finish the league is manageable, minus City away in 10 days.... even without Kane. They actually played very well without Harry for 5+ matches earlier in the season, so I am cautiously optimistic they will get 12-15 points out of a possible 18. They do that, and they will finish top 4. They have 4 at home, and 2 away.

Arsenal has a manageable run in as well, but they can't seem to win away from the Emirates, so they will be interesting.
Chelsea still has Liverpool and United left to play.
United has Chelsea and City left to play.

I am hoping all 4 advance in Europe, to keep them playing as many matches as possible. Should be a fun/aggravating finish to the season.

Reaction Score
I am not optimistic Spurs will get the result they need at City next week, so probably won't be an issue.
Should they advance over City (doubtful), and then lose badly in the next rounds 1st leg, then maybe he focuses on the league during the second leg. That would be the only scenario where he doesn't go all out for a result.

With all 3 of the other clubs (Arsenal, United, and Chelsea) vying for 3rd and 4th still alive in Europe, it keeps a level field... lot's of midweek matches for all 4.

Spurs run in to finish the league is manageable, minus City away in 10 days.... even without Kane. They actually played very well without Harry for 5+ matches earlier in the season, so I am cautiously optimistic they will get 12-15 points out of a possible 18. They do that, and they will finish top 4. They have 4 at home, and 2 away.

Arsenal has a manageable run in as well, but they can't seem to win away from the Emirates, so they will be interesting.
Chelsea still has Liverpool and United left to play.
United has Chelsea and City left to play.

I am hoping all 4 advance in Europe, to keep them playing as many matches as possible. Should be a fun/aggravating finish to the season.
------------------------------------

Before this week's matches, I predicted/guessed the following results for the remaining Premiership matches taking into account the potential impact of European matches and those against clubs who are still fighting for something, i.e. title, Top 4 and relegation:
  • Arsenal: 1) @ Everton L, 2) @ Watford W, 3) v. Crystal Palace W, 5) @ Wolves D, 6) @ Leicester D, 6) v Brighton W, 7) @ Burnley W...63 + 14 = 77 points
  • Tottenham: 1) v. Crystal Palace W, 2) v Huddersfield W, 3) @ Man City D, 4) v. Brighton D, 5) v West Ham W, 6) @ Bournemouth D, 7) v Everton W...61 + 15 = 76 points
  • Man U: 1) v West Ham D, 2) @ Everton L, 3) @ Man City D, 4) v. Chelsea D, 5) @ Huddersfield W, 6) v Cardiff W...61 + 9 = 70 points
  • Chelsea: 1) v. West Ham W , 2) v. Brighton W, 3) @ Liverpool L, 4) v. Burnley D, 5) @ Man U D, 6) v Watford D, 7) @ Leicester W...60 + 12 = 72 Points

Reaction Score
As a Spurs fan, you obviously have to try to get through this Champions League tie with a lead after one leg, but the injuries are tough. Assuming we beat Huddlesfield and then get knocked out in CL, we will have 5 games left and almost certainly 4 wins will be enough to keep us Top 4. I go all out the next two games and (if we win Saturday) would happily forfeit the league game at the Etihad to focus on wins home to Brighton, West Ham and Everton and at Bournemouth. Since you can't actually forfeit, it means I would rest all starters who have to run all game (which means everyone other than the centerbacks and Lloris). Something has to give and the only thing there is to give is the road league match against City. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
As a Spurs fan, here is the kick in the nuts that could be coming... wait for it.. Arsenal finishes the EPL in 3rd, Spurs finish 4th. United goes on a tare and wins UCL; Chelsea wins Europa which makes them both AQ's for next seasons UCL, along with City, Liverpool, and Arsenal. This would bump Spurs out of UCL into Europa as the maximum # of teams allowed from each country/league is 5

It happened back in 2012 when a league could only max out at 4 teams. Spurs finished 4th, above Chelsea, but Chelsea beat Bayern in the finals (friggin Drogba header for a last minute equalizer to send it to AET and then won it on PK's), bumping Spurs down to Europa.

Reaction Score
As a Spurs fan, here is the kick in the nuts that could be coming... wait for it.. Arsenal finishes the EPL in 3rd, Spurs finish 4th. United goes on a tare and wins UCL; Chelsea wins Europa which makes them both AQ's for next seasons UCL, along with City, Liverpool, and Arsenal. This would bump Spurs out of UCL into Europa as the maximum # of teams allowed from each country/league is 5

It happened back in 2012 when a league could only max out at 4 teams. Spurs finished 4th, above Chelsea, but Chelsea beat Bayern in the finals (friggin Drogba header for a last minute equalizer to send it to AET and then won it on PK's), bumping Spurs down to Europa.

I know it's theoretically possible, but even carrying all the pessimism of Spurs' history there have to be more important things to worry about than a scenario that includes Man U winning the Champions League.

Reaction Score
So biz, you'd rather line up the U23s at Man City than give the CL a go? To Dare Is To Do!

Not sure if I'd rather face Ajax or Barca at the moment. It's been a great QF

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Twas a glorious year. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom