CBB Trial | Page 10 | The Boneyard

CBB Trial

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If the ncaa and the media did their jobs they would’ve realized this stuff with Kansas years ago. Every year they have a player/players who are not eligible or miss most of the season and nothing comes from it

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
NCAA cross hairs. Not FBI.
I don't know how the NCAA is going to handle this much. Where do they start? My thinking is they must first wait until the FBI case is closed which could take maybe another year or longer if there are appeals. By then Zion Williamson will be in the NBA and Duke will be (choke) hanging another set of banners from the rafters. But then the real dilemma is how the NCAA handles the number of high end schools implicated in the case. Arizona, Kansas, NC St, Duke, Lousiville, Maryland, Mich St, UWash etc? Do they take them on all at once and hand down penalties to half of the NCAA top 25 or do they investigate them sequentially? If the latter who do they start with?

Reaction Score
I think the NCAA should send a preemptive letter to all the schools mentioned/involved in the FBI case, stating that if a school plays any player in 2018-2019 that is subsequently determined to have received inappropriate benefits, the minimum penalty will be vacating all wins and disgorgement of any NCAA Tournament monies. The letter should also state that additional penalties such as loss of scholarships and NCAA tournament bans, and show cause orders re coaches, will depend on the level of diligence exhibited by each school to uncover such behavior on a case by case basis, and whether/how coaches were involved, and at what level of coach. My hope would be that all the schools 'put on notice' by the FBI investigation would fear their pocketbook injury and take actions and investigate faster than the NCAA can get around to it. There should also be a significant minimum penalty if it is determined that the coaching staff tried to arrange offers, even if unsuccessfully. The NCAA should evaluate the level of diligence of the schools investigation, and any self imposed penalties which should relate to number of scholarships and off campus recruiting restrictions, in addition to any termination of employment. At least this is something the NCAA could do now, for this season while some of these players are still at the schools, and in advance of these trials.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think the NCAA should send a preemptive letter to all the schools mentioned/involved in the FBI case, stating that if a school plays any player in 2018-2019 that is subsequently determined to have received inappropriate benefits, the minimum penalty will be vacating all wins and disgorgement of any NCAA Tournament monies. The letter should also state that additional penalties such as loss of scholarships and NCAA tournament bans, and show cause orders re coaches, will depend on the level of diligence exhibited by each school to uncover such behavior on a case by case basis, and whether/how coaches were involved, and at what level of coach. My hope would be that all the schools 'put on notice' by the FBI investigation would fear their pocketbook injury and take actions and investigate faster than the NCAA can get around to it. There should also be a significant minimum penalty if it is determined that the coaching staff tried to arrange offers, even if unsuccessfully. The NCAA should evaluate the level of diligence of the schools investigation, and any self imposed penalties which should relate to number of scholarships and off campus recruiting restrictions, in addition to any termination of employment. At least this is something the NCAA could do now, for this season while some of these players are still at the schools, and in advance of these trials.

Can we add lifetime bans for the coaching staff?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't know how the NCAA is going to handle this much. Where do they start? My thinking is they must first wait until the FBI case is closed which could take maybe another year or longer if there are appeals. By then Zion Williamson will be in the NBA and Duke will be (choke) hanging another set of banners from the rafters. But then the real dilemma is how the NCAA handles the number of high end schools implicated in the case. Arizona, Kansas, NC St, Duke, Lousiville, Maryland, Mich St, UWash etc? Do they take them on all at once and hand down penalties to half of the NCAA top 25 or do they investigate them sequentially? If the latter who do they start with?

While they don't HAVE to necessarily, they absolutely will. The FBI formally requested they do so, because they don't want the NCAA screwing up their case.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

While I like the idea in principle, it's not really fair to some of the players involve. A number of these testimonies are just guys talking to each other. Could be complete BS on their part to force somebodies' hand. We'd need more imo. Otherwise, you might be banning a kid who had nothing to do with this whole thing. jmo tho

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can we add lifetime bans for the coaching staff?
Only if unreported information is later discovered by the NCAA. Come clean and take your institutional punishment. If you don't and the NCAA finds out, you're done for life.

While I like the idea in principle, it's not really fair to some of the players involve. A number of these testimonies are just guys talking to each other. Could be complete BS on their part to force somebodies' hand. We'd need more imo. Otherwise, you might be banning a kid who had nothing to do with this whole thing. jmo tho

Why? Don't sanction the kids, sanction the schools and allow kids to move without sitting out.

Reaction Score

>>If federal prosecutors really want to clean up the muck in college basketball, then they should do it right and bring a racketeering case against a major university. One that sweeps up the entire operation: the big-donor trustee, the head coach, the athletic director, the college president and any others who are complicit in a corrupt enterprise. But if the feds don’t care to target those white collars for their fraudulent behavior, then they shouldn’t be bringing cases at all.

That kind of prosecution would have real impact. Think about it: The next time a high-dollar donor uses his influence to hijack a university and run it like a mafia town, when cash is laundry-funneled to blue-chip recruits in order to grab at prestige and a bigger share of $1 billion in NCAA tournament revenue, slap a RICO case on him. And on the chancellor and coach who tolerate academic frauds, and the athletic director who makes the back-scratching, multimillion-dollar financial deal with a sneaker company. That would fix the NCAA with one fell swoop of indictments.<<

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

>>If federal prosecutors really want to clean up the muck in college basketball, then they should do it right and bring a racketeering case against a major university. One that sweeps up the entire operation: the big-donor trustee, the head coach, the athletic director, the college president and any others who are complicit in a corrupt enterprise. But if the feds don’t care to target those white collars for their fraudulent behavior, then they shouldn’t be bringing cases at all.

That kind of prosecution would have real impact. Think about it: The next time a high-dollar donor uses his influence to hijack a university and run it like a mafia town, when cash is laundry-funneled to blue-chip recruits in order to grab at prestige and a bigger share of $1 billion in NCAA tournament revenue, slap a RICO case on him. And on the chancellor and coach who tolerate academic frauds, and the athletic director who makes the back-scratching, multimillion-dollar financial deal with a sneaker company. That would fix the NCAA with one fell swoop of indictments.<<

I wish I could like this more than once. It will never happen but, this is the way to rip the corruption out by the roots.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
What do you do about UWash and Markelle Fultz?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

I like the innuendo of the Power 5 conference being the Five Families of Cosa Famiglia Sportive

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
UM Hurricanes redacted from indictment as college basketball trial heads to deliberation

>>The redaction means Miami is no longer a factor in the legal proceedings, and both the defense and the prosecution feel the Hurricanes were an irrelevant party in the case. Jurors are now deliberating and a verdict could arrive later this week. No evidence was presented this month which could incriminate the Hurricanes.<<
Confused, no evidence to incriminate the hurricanes from a legal standpoint? Thought the schools were “victims” anyways.

Reaction Score
Confused, no evidence to incriminate the hurricanes from a legal standpoint? Thought the schools were “victims” anyways.

>>The Hurricanes haven’t been a major focus at the trail, which has now taken most of October, but Miami was still mentioned a handful of times in connection with its recruitment of Nassir Little, who now plays for the North Carolina Tar Heels.

Last week, a text message exchange between disgraced middleman Christian Dawkins and Brad Augustine, Little’s Amateur Athletic Union coach, was presented into evidence. The messages seemingly exonerated Little, alleging no one in the former five-star prospect’s family was willing to accept money.<<

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Given that the NCAA will await the outcome of the trial, including appeals, this could effectively end DeSousa's KU career. Question now is why aren't they holding out Self from coaching???

Reaction Score
If the ncaa and the media did their jobs they would’ve realized this stuff with Kansas years ago. Every year they have a player/players who are not eligible or miss most of the season and nothing comes from it
you sound like Ken Kreyeske

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Given that the NCAA will await the outcome of the trial, including appeals, this could effectively end DeSousa's KU career. Question now is why aren't they holding out Self from coaching???

Wins and Money.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom