Casual Fan Reprimand | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Casual Fan Reprimand

C

Chief00

We need more people in the seats. It's a chain reaction if we don't - basketball recruit's view of school on visit and tougher to get in P5 conference. True, Calhoun in his genius could flip that narrative and say do you want to go to a football or basketball school? But, I don't know if the current staff is so inventive.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Fair question. The jest of my post is that I have cut the casual fans a lot of slack - been very supportive and welcoming - while holding them to fairly low expectations. But, given the situation - they need to step up and at least attend the games.
There may have never been a truer malapropism.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Contrary to what some may post, Chief has always been a strong supporter of the Casual Fan. I have consistently said UConn needs them and UConn Nation welcomes them with open arms. If they are really there for the tailgate, marching band at halftime or because they like to socialize - that's ok.

Where Chief draws the line is when they don't show at all. According to The Courant, UConn has only sold 21,000 tickets and that includes the casual fans who get season tickets but did not appropriately plan their vacation.

Quite frankly, I have 2 in my group that fall in that category. As a program, we can NOT accomplish our goals with fans who lack a minimal threshold of awareness not to schedule vacation or other activity on the 6 home games of the year.

We need to do better! Casual Fans deserve our love and support but sometimes we just got to quite frankly tell them - get your act together! The coaches and players deserve better than that level of commitment.

I'm a strong supporter of giving back to my community. I spent a great day at Yankee Stadium this afternoon with three new young friends. Each one of them was a "casual" sports fan this morning, simply because they never had the opportunity to see a real game in person.

upload_2017-8-31_1-26-33.png

They will be my +3 at The Rent tomorrow night as well.

You're a clown, always have been, always will be. If you want to educate the UCONN Football fan base, you'll do more and talk less.

I will donate 20 tickets to the USF game for every ten you do. Some Yarder smarter than I am will figure out the details but I prefer the tickets go to a Hartford based youth group.

I'll donate 40 tickets if you don't respond to this post at all.

C

Chief00

Many of you are hopelessly out of touch with what the AD is facing. The school has tried many innovative things this year just not to lose attendees. We need to almost double the fan base that goes to the games. We are short by 15-20k.

Those are the numbers, you may not like the reality so you attack the messenger.

Reaction Score
All... the gametime app seems legit. I did find tix pretty cheap on there might want to look into it come crunch time. Has anyone used it?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Many of you are hopelessly out of touch with what the AD is facing. The school has tried many innovative things this year just not to lose attendees. We need to almost double the fan base that goes to the games. We are short by 15-20k.

Those are the numbers, you may not like the reality so you attack the messenger.

They could try a combination of: (a) winning games; and (b) not playing an FCS team on the Thursday before Labor Day weekend.

Connecticut is not and is not going to become the South. They will never have people planning weddings or vacations around UConn football games. But they can do better than this.

Reaction Score

You are hopelessly out of touch with why we're attacking the messenger. It has nothing to do with what the AD is facing, but how much of a condescending clown you present yourself as every time you type a sentence here. You can have a conversation about the realities of the challenges this AD faces without talking down to everyone on this board.

Reaction Score
Okay, at some point he needs a warning or something. I've been given a warning for "drive by negativity," whatever that means. Yet this dude posts his own thread ripping on everyone, and has ruined too many threads to count with his other BS bunky/causal fan nonsense. I'm not for banning anyone, but someone should at least stop him from derailing future threads that aren't his own.

I wonder if chief is really hfd on lithium?

Reaction Score
I may be wrong, but if I remember right, we had 31K at Maine last year. Not full, but not bad. There was some buzz about coming off of a bowl appearance. We need to build that energy back. Need to win

C

Chief00

If I wanted to address casual fans I'd probably head to a message board where the most die hard fans congregate.

It makes perfect sense.

Fair question. I gave an example of 2 casual fans in my tailgate group and how I had to deliver some tough love. For those who consider themselves loyal fans - there is a lot at stake sports wise - we need to have those conversations and encourage people to attend.
As for scheduling events and weddings around home games. Granted that's not the current reality but YES that should be a goal - to have that kind of culture.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I will donate 20 tickets to the USF game for every ten you do. Some Yarder smarter than I am will figure out the details but I prefer the tickets go to a Hartford based youth group.

I'll donate 40 tickets if you don't respond to this post at all.

Let's see it!! @Chief00

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
In all seriousness though, Chief is not wrong. If we want UConn athletics to close the money gap between us and the P5 with the big east money drying up, we need to sell tickets. Most importantly, we need to sell football tickets. If we pack the Rent, it will only help the university and the team. Recruits want full stadiums, and the University needs the gate - bottom line

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
In all seriousness though, Chief is not wrong. If we want UConn athletics to close the money gap between us and the P5 with the big east money drying up, we need to sell tickets. Most importantly, we need to sell football tickets. If we pack the Rent, it will only help the university and the team. Recruits want full stadiums, and the University needs the gate - bottom line

This isn't a chicken v. egg scenario. Once football is good people will come, we aren't in LA where there are tons of different things to do.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Trying to guilt people in to going ain't gonna work. It's on Edsall and Lashlee and Crocker to build some excitement and it's going to take a long time and some consistency to turn it around. We didn't get here in a day, it took 6 years to sink this low... win, be exciting, sprinkle in interesting OOC games, and do it consistently over time... that's when casual fans will feel compelled to come back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom