Casual Fan Reprimand | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Casual Fan Reprimand

Reaction Score
In all seriousness though, Chief is not wrong. If we want UConn athletics to close the money gap between us and the P5 with the big east money drying up, we need to sell tickets. Most importantly, we need to sell football tickets. If we pack the Rent, it will only help the university and the team. Recruits want full stadiums, and the University needs the gate - bottom line

He came here, where there are no casual fans, to address casual fans, about something literally everyone here already knows (and has discussed hundreds of times).

What he did is the equivalent of stepping into a college level calculus class to deliver a lecture on the fact that 2+2=4.

Of course we're going to make fun of him, he deserves it.

Reaction Score
I almost feel like Chief has gone back through the canon of HFD rants and is now spewing adaptations of his work on a daily basis. What a time to be a 'yarder.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Bonehead will be attending and all 8 season tickets will be used.
Bonehead also bought 4 others as Boneheads kids and friends wanted to come.
Bonehead didnt need to reprimand or guilt his children or their friends into going to the game.

#SuperCasualFansSection130

Reaction Score
They could try a combination of: (a) winning games; and (b) not playing an FCS team on the Thursday before Labor Day weekend.

Connecticut is not and is not going to become the South. They will never have people planning weddings or vacations around UConn football games. But they can do better than this.

Never say never. My daughter changed her wedding date this year to June instead of September because I requested it not be on a football game day. I am not the only one. I also plan my football away game trips and vacations around football games.

Some of us really love UConn football, others only say they do!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
reprimand [noun rep-ruh-mand, -mahnd; verb rep-ruh-mand, -mahnd, rep-ruh-mand, -mahnd]
noun
1. a severe reproof or rebuke, especially a formal one by a person inauthority.
verb (used with object)
2. to reprove or rebuke severely, especially in a formal way.

Yup. Can't get much more positive. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm back on board after a two year hiatus. Will be trekking from the very bottom of FF County and it wont be fun. Leaving work a bit early - relying on my seniority and all those years of extra effort! What should be a 1:15 drive will probably be 2hrs.

2 hours? From experience, the drive on Thursday before Labor Day weekend averages close to 2 hours from Fairfield, and close to 3 from Stamford. Can't say I'm looking forward to it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
2 hours? From experience, the drive on Thursday before Labor Day weekend averages close to 2 hours from Fairfield, and close to 3 from Stamford. Can't say I'm looking forward to it.
Well - you are right, 2hrs is optimistic. Took me 2.25 hours to get to Point Judith RI last sunday morning at 8am and 4hrs to get back at 5pm.

Traffic, not the cost or even the product is the #1 reason I dont go to games. Wish it wasn't this way. Going to tough it out to support RE 2.0 this year anyway.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Chief, Chief, Chief... Stop it. Don't come on here whining about attendance. The reason for empty seats has been discussed ad nauseum. Casual fans want to see exciting and hopefully winning football. An up tempo offense would be a start. As a Chicago guy I am looking for RS Fr. Quayvon Skanes to be quite a revelation to Huskies fans. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score

That's what I figured. By the time I get to Hartford from Stamford and walk to the stadium, something tells me I will not be in the greatest of moods to watch a football game. Sometimes it takes me a half hour to get out of Stamford alone. I'll see you gents on Saturdays though.

Enjoy the suite BL!

Reaction Score
Contrary to what some may post, Chief has always been a strong supporter of the Casual Fan. I have consistently said UConn needs them and UConn Nation welcomes them with open arms. If they are really there for the tailgate, marching band at halftime or because they like to socialize - that's ok.

Where Chief draws the line is when they don't show at all. According to The Courant, UConn has only sold 21,000 tickets and that includes the casual fans who get season tickets but did not appropriately plan their vacation.

Quite frankly, I have 2 in my group that fall in that category. As a program, we can NOT accomplish our goals with fans who lack a minimal threshold of awareness not to schedule vacation or other activity on the 6 home games of the year.

We need to do better! Casual Fans deserve our love and support but sometimes we just got to quite frankly tell them - get your act together! The coaches and players deserve better than that level of commitment.
I agree we, fans, need to get our act together. Yet, playing on Thursday's and other odd days and times, makes it difficult. 9pm mens basketball is not easy to do. Non traditional football game days and times is even more difficult.

Reaction Score
Winning cures a lot of this. Hell, the ability to get a first down or return a punt could cure it.
For interest sake, they need to put up big numbers against Holy Cross.

C

Chief00

I agree we, fans, need to get our act together. Yet, playing on Thursday's and other odd days and times, makes it difficult. 9pm mens basketball is not easy to do. Non traditional football game days and times is even more difficult.

You have some valid points as do the Fairfield county folks on traffic. I will also add - again we are conflicting with both the Giants and Patriots - granted preseason but still an impact for football fans on the fence.

My intent was not to beat up on people - but it's also true to be successful - everyone needs to do better - including UConn on running better filters on their schedule.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
No I am not insane - subtract an hour for EST
Get Glasses....

Game Information
Memorial Stadium/Faurot Field
12:00 PM ET September 19, 2015
Coverage: ESPN

It says 12PM ET - the ET stands for Eastern Standard Time.

It was an 11Am CST and a 9AM PST.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
11 am EST was kickoff - it is what it is - not what you want it to be

Has anyone seen Chief and Chap in the same place? I'm thinking this is an on-and-off meds situation.

C

Chief00

Never say never. My daughter changed her wedding date this year to June instead of September because I requested it not be on a football game day. I am not the only one. I also plan my football away game trips and vacations around football games.

Some of us really love UConn football, others only say they do!

Wow that's impressive and exactly what we need - more fans like you. It's a cultural change for many in CT but I also appreciate people who deal with various traffic hardships, etc. To get to where we want to be - we all need to make this adjustment - if we are not already there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom