Casual Fan Reprimand | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Casual Fan Reprimand

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Never say never. My daughter changed her wedding date this year to June instead of September because I requested it not be on a football game day. I am not the only one. I also plan my football away game trips and vacations around football games.

Some of us really love UConn football, others only say they do!

I don't really love any sporting event that much. I do think my point is valid that we shouldn't expect a massive cultural shift in New England. It isn't going to become a place where everything else stops on Saturday afternoons, and where there is an hour+ devoted to HS football on the news every Friday. Maybe we will cultivate a few more like you, but I don't think it will be many. But we certainly can do much better in attendance, and I think we will under HCRE 2.0

C

Chief00

Get Glasses....

Game Information
Memorial Stadium/Faurot Field
12:00 PM ET September 19, 2015
Coverage: ESPN

It says 12PM ET - the ET stands for Eastern Standard Time.

It was an 11Am CST and a 9AM PST.

You are correct - kickoff was at 11am Central time. 11am is 11am.

Reaction Score
No I am not insane - subtract an hour for EST

823d297e2d92c4c7091bdedd06d2847a--presidents-google-search.jpg

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Where did you subtract the hour for EST?

What time is kickoff tonight?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Never say never. My daughter changed her wedding date this year to June instead of September because I requested it not be on a football game day. I am not the only one. I also plan my football away game trips and vacations around football games.

Some of us really love UConn football, others only say they do!

Many years ago the Giants always played one preseason exhibition game at the Yale Bowl. My dad and I always attended that game. My sister was planning a big wedding one year, and then abruptly announced she had decided to elope. Of course, being totally oblivious to sports calendars, she picked the day of the Giants - Vikings game to get married by a JP in New Hampshire. Of course, we went ahead and attended the Giants game.

When my oldest nephew was being christened, the 1999 Final Four was taking place in Tampa/St. Pete. Guess where my son and I were? My family understands that there's UConn, and them, in that order. They accept things as they are and always will be.

Reaction Score
@CTMike

Don't forget Chief was complaining about an 11am kickoff and the impact that would have on tailgating.

the kickoff was taking place in Missouri, so the tailgating in East Hartford was probably pretty light that day.

I guess you could say chief is a casual fan of time zones.

Reaction Score
Those times are incorrect
In Sept in. CT 12pm EST is 1Pm EDST
In. Most of Ariz it would be 10AM MST because we don't change times but everywhere else goes to daylight savings time

C

Chief00

Oh God. Yeah Central time. By this concept we play at 1:30 on Thursday afternoon - if you happen to be in Hawaii.
We have bigger problems to solve than arguing which time zone a game two years should be applied.
We have a game today with recruits coming and a stadium slated to be half empty.

Last edited by a moderator:

UConnNick

Reaction Score
@CTMike

Don't forget Chief was complaining about an 11am kickoff and the impact that would have on tailgating.

the kickoff was taking place in Missouri, so the tailgating in East Hartford was probably pretty light that day.

I guess you could say chief is a casual fan of time zones.

Yes, but Chief was concerned about the negative tailgating effect suffered by the tiny group of casual UConn fans tailgating at the Missouri game in Columbia.

C

Chief00

He came here, where there are no casual fans, to address casual fans, about something literally everyone here already knows (and has discussed hundreds of times).

What he did is the equivalent of stepping into a college level calculus class to deliver a lecture on the fact that 2+2=4.

Of course we're going to make fun of him, he deserves it.

You can influence others - the power of multiple force!

C

Chief00

Yes, but Chief was concerned about the negative tailgating effect suffered by the tiny group of casual UConn fans tailgating at the Missouri game in Columbia.
Need to refocus you on actually solving real problems - you must have been hanging around the state capital the last two decades.

C

Chief00

I was on the phone with the group ticket office first thing this morning. They've reached out to the rec director of the Hartford Boys & Girls Club to see if they could put the tickets to good use. It may not be the USF game because of timing but I'll make this happen on my end.

You will need a release letter saying the kids are not of high school age for NCAA recruiting rules purposes.

C

Chief00

People in CT have a propensity to get fixated on trivial minor issues and not address structural issues - which may create disruption to solve - yet it's so necessary.

Being right or wrong about a time zone or game time two years ago occupies your time rather than fixing a problem that is digging a huge hole for UConn Athletics. Chief deals with the tough issues head-on.

C

Chief00

I take it WE won't be needing the release letter?
I got a block of 100 tickets several years ago - donated by UConn to a city rec program. If the tickets are free and maybe deeply discounted - the NCAA views as a benefit - for HS kids who could be theoretically recruited - hence you need to certify they are not of HS age.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I take it WE won't be needing the release letter?
Thanks for doing this!! Has multiple benefits.

I was hoping he was going to text Andre real quick, confir_ a few $$ things and come way over the top of your awesome generosity.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I don't really love any sporting event that much. I do think my point is valid that we shouldn't expect a massive cultural shift in New England. It isn't going to become a place where everything else stops on Saturday afternoons, and where there is an hour+ devoted to HS football on the news every Friday. Maybe we will cultivate a few more like you, but I don't think it will be many. But we certainly can do much better in attendance, and I think we will under HCRE 2.0

I agree, but I really felt like we were well on our way to changing that culture in the late 2000's. Of course, we were in a BCS conference and still had at least a couple of our regional rivals (Rutgers and Syracuse) in the same league. Now with the loss of all three of our regional rivals, and our banishment to a G5 league, the reality is it will take a whole lot of winning to get back to anywhere remotely close to where we were in 2010.

There was an ancient history era when CFB really meant something in the Northeast, through the 1950's, when the Ivy League and service academy teams were still big time. It's been so long now many generations have grown up without that kind of interest in the Northeast. If we never make it back to the big time I'm afraid the culture is unlikely to ever change, which is sad. We were on our way and then it all got derailed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom