Cassell | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cassell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As the 4th option ball handler, that is expected. He's not in there to distribute - he's in there to shoot. And usually when you see the first 7 shots not falling, you stop shooting. He did not stop shooting. They were leaving him open, encouraging him to shoot because they knew he wasn't going to make a shot. At that point ( his only asset to this team is shooting ), he needs to be taken off the floor. He already proved he could not play D. So why did he play? TSam, like Cassel, cannot shoot. But at least TSam can drive or create and especially play D.
He has not shot well, no one is arguing he has. But do not say he turns it over a lot. He does not.

If you are going to bash a player at least be accurate.

Reaction Score
TSam was automatic on drives during the tourney. Now he's bricking layups. Hard to explain.
he's been asked to do more, an expanded role he is simply not ready for. he is scared to take lay ups, forget jumpers. he isn't moving the ball like he was last season either. however he is getting much better defensively, and is probably our best guard off the bench when purvis returns ( jesus purvis could be out for a freaking month)

Reaction Score
This is a very odd post. Have you been watching UConn games this year?
I sure have and it appears to me that Boat has not yet fully transitioned to the point. No one said he is playing poorly, in fact he is our best player. I'm just looking for him to be our floor general out there which has not yet evolved. No need to defend him because no one is bitching about his play.

He's our leader so he gets the attention.

Reaction Score
he's been asked to do more, an expanded role he is simply not ready for. he is scared to take lay ups, forget jumpers. he isn't moving the ball like he was last season either. however he is getting much better defensively, and is probably our best guard off the bench when purvis returns ( jesus purvis could be out for a freaking month)
I mean hard to explain was poor choice of words. Its clear the added responsibility of being a starter and not the spark plug is giving way too much to think about.

Reaction Score
What has he done besides mindlessly jack 3's and miss open shots? He turns the ball over too, so I'll give him that.
Cassell was a JUCO All-American and we fought off other high-major D1 schools to get him. But right, because he's struggling in his first few games in college it absolutely means that Ollie is doing his dad a favor by giving him a scholarship.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Cassell was a JUCO All-American and we fought off other high-major D1 schools to get him. But right, because he's struggling in his first few games in college it absolutely means that Ollie is doing his dad a favor by giving him a scholarship.
What were we going for? Scouting reports said he is a lethal outside shooter.

He shot 33% from 3 last season. 43% from the field. He is slow, but a pretty good ball handler. No athleticism really. Is it not obvious why Louisville backed out last minute? And the other teams after him were like South Florida, OK State, WVU, and Florida State. Not exactly top programs like us.

H

huskymagic

His last attempt for 3 was as deep in the cylinder as I have ever seen a miss go. If he shoots OK, they win. What was it 2/12?

What part of 20% from 3 is confusing you. There is no ifs in life there is only what is happening. If only Cassell was like T-Sam and understood his limitations UCONN would have won this game by 8 to 10 points.

Reaction Score

He shot 33% from 3 last season. 43% from the field. He is slow, but a pretty good ball handler. No athleticism really. Is it not obvious why Louisville backed out last minute? And the other teams after him were like South Florida, OK State, WVU, and Florida State. Not exactly top programs like us.
Right, Louisville recruited him hard and then backed out last minute because they suddenly discovered he's not worthy of being a Cardinal. Couldn't have been because they realized he would be a Husky and it's not worth recruiting him anymore.

Early season struggles for a first-year college player. Take a breath, buddy.

Reaction Score

If you honestly think that Ollie took him as a "favor" to his dad, then I really am speechless.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Uconn turns him into a great shooter... Boneyarders need to calm down... Shot selection is his problem, he needs a niels approach where only good 3s are taken.. Itll come were fine...
He took wide open shots.

Reaction Score
What part of 20% from 3 is confusing you. There is no ifs in life there is only what is happening. If only Cassell was like T-Sam and understood his limitations UCONN would have won this game by 8 to 10 points.

As I said in another thread, a big problem was that Hamilton wasn't aggressive at all in the last few minutes. It's probably a combination of it being his fifth career game and being hit in the nose earlier, so there's no need to kill the kid. But still, he has to be more assertive going forward. A team like Texas isn't going to leave you open. You have to GET open.

It's not like Ollie, a national championship coach, and Boatright, a national championship guard, decided, "Hey it's crunch time, let's feed Sam Cassell Jr." As Texas keyed on Boatright, Cassell was the only one making himself available.

Reaction Score
And here's the dumbest post of the day!
Not so fast - 1st, it's early and everybody is still emotional. Second, the buddy guy posted in another thread that the Purvis dunk on which he injured his ankle was a "showboat" dunk. Gotta at least consider that one for the DPOTD award.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Boatright is playing the best ball of his career and probably as good as any guard in the country.
TSam needs to back up Boat for 6 mins a game.
Sam Jr. has yet to prove he can do anything at this level, especially shoot. Sam Jr will be left open for a lot of jumpers.
Calhoun and Purvis are huge question marks. One of these two has to stay healthy and be a player or UConn will be playing in the NIT.
The Big, Facey, Brimah and Nolan, are progressing.
UConn could be in trouble.

Reaction Score
TSam was automatic on drives during the tourney. Now he's bricking layups. Hard to explain.
Not so.
During the tourney, 3 of the other 4 defenders were glued to Boat, Bazz, and Giffey, which means that, after he beat his guy, there was blue sky to the rim, and an easy pass for a dunk if the last defender left the big.

Reaction Score
My problem is not with Jr., he is struggling right now. The problem I have is that in crunch time, when we really need points, he is taking shots. Why is he taking shots in crunch time? It should be all about Boat and Hamilton in crunch time, unless we get an open look inside. I don't get it.

Reaction Score
Milo65 said:
My problem is not with Jr., he is struggling right now. The problem I have is that in crunch time, when we really need points, he is taking shots. Why is he taking shots in crunch time? It should be all about Boat and Hamilton in crunch time, unless we get an open look inside. I don't get it.

One of the 3s he took late was because he had no choice, Hamilton gave up an open look to reverse the ball to him even more wide open. It was either shoot or turn it over.

The step back from the elbow - probably not the best shot in hindsight on a day he's struggling. But a clean look (no defender stepped back with him). And I'm thinking that's a shot he feels comfortable with (it's a Sam Cassell Sr. special).

We needed Hamilton to have Cassell's shooter's ego late, but he was reluctant. He hid a little bit in crunch time. Another spoke on the freshman training wheels.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
he un-necessarily fades away from every jump shot he takes, even the wide open 3's.

Reaction Score
We saw him make shots and he can. We need him to shoot good.

Funny all these Calhoun haters need someone else. His shot looks good they aren't going in.

It's 6 or 1/2 dozen of the other right now I'm afraid. TSam is awful on O and he can't make a shot but is capable. We will need him eventually and if Omar shoots it like last year then what?

Reaction Score
he un-necessarily fades away from every jump shot he takes, even the wide open 3's.

That's his shot - he moves in and fades - same as the one's he made in the pre-season. And let's not start the "Assumption, SCSU" crap either because he was open today and took good shots. They're not going in - people are looking for him and setting him up because they know he can shoot.

Reaction Score
Some of you start typing ... and amazing things come out.

Didn't your Mom ever tell you to keep your mouth shut or you let the world know what a naïve know-nothing you are?

Cassell will get better. HOWEVER, I don't like him with the ball. He is not a confident ballhandler & not the guy you want breaking the press when TWO guys are on Boatright. And ... YES ... Cassell needs to be told to tone down the under 4 shot selection. Good shots need to be defined; and I'd say 4-7 of his were not. That comes as the years goes on.

The BIG things to watch for are the confidence of Terrence Samuel and Kentan Facey. I think both can develop immensely over the next few months & that is what is going to make us a better team. I don't know what we will get from either Purvis or Calhoun; and I would love to see something positive. Brimah has a ways to go.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Cassell will be fine. Keep in mind that he hasn't had a boat-load (pun intended) of high pressure games on national tv yet, much less being asked to deliver the big shot during one of them. He'll get better throughout the season, there's no doubt about it. And when Purvis and Calhoun are healthy again, we'll have more guards in the rotation to keep up the high-pressure defense. That will mean that Cassell will have his legs deep in the game when we need him to hit those important shots.

The loss felt like a kick to the scrotes, but the intensity on defense is there, and I think we're going to have a successful year this year. Especially if DHam keeps his trajectory going...

Reaction Score
Some of you start typing ... and amazing things come out.

Didn't your Mom ever tell you to keep your mouth shut or you let the world know what a naïve know-nothing you are?

Cassell will get better. HOWEVER, I don't like him with the ball. He is not a confident ballhandler & not the guy you want breaking the press when TWO guys are on Boatright. And ... YES ... Cassell needs to be told to tone down the under 4 shot selection. Good shots need to be defined; and I'd say 4-7 of his were not. That comes as the years goes on.

The BIG things to watch for are the confidence of Terrence Samuel and Kentan Facey. I think both can develop immensely over the next few months & that is what is going to make us a better team. I don't know what we will get from either Purvis or Calhoun; and I would love to see something positive. Brimah has a ways to go.

Have to say he's slow but I like him with the ball more than TSam. He did lose it once trying to do too much but his handle is better and he was fine throwing it over the soft pressure. If he makes a couple more shots as I said, there is no discussion today. But there was a lot more to this game than either of these 2.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Cassell, I am quite sure can shoot the ball - he is seeing that high level JUCO is nothing like high level D1
I am sure his shooting percentage will improve but I think we can all be honest and admit we knew he is nothing like his father athletically.
My biggest concern is why was he getting those 3's in the 2nd half and not DHam???
Also why was Cassell in on that last play and not Facey. Not sure if it would have made a difference but I would have gone with length over slower player.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He's missed open shots. That's about it. If that's not his history, then he will get a little more run especially if we are running short of guards. Best to root for him 5 games in, not that his genetics would allow him to give a rip what this board thinks. Calhoun hasn't been making shots for a while, injured or not. Has the Boyle sickness infected the BB board?

KO played 8 guys today and one was a cameo by Rubin. Let's not wring our hands yet, because if your healthy and on scholarship, you are likely playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom