Cassell | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Cassell

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

huskymagic

If you play your lineup against me, I'll run a double at Boat every time he touches the ball and stay at home on Hamilton. Now what are your three non-shooting, non-passing post players going to do with the ball on the perimeter?

If you get it into a big, I'll double immediately off one of your other bigs and stay at home on Boat and Hamilton. Now what?

get the ball to Facey at the free throw line and throw a lob for Brimah for the dunk before the double comes. Nolan or Facey with the put back if he misses :cool:

Reaction Score
Playing big is a good idea especially against teams that press.
Scanners-head-explosion.jpg

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Posts like this Cracken are the reason we can't have meaningful discussions but I know your goal to rack up as many likes received as possible on the boneyard so sarcasm should do it.

On to more pertinent matters, our lineup issues. Playing big is a good idea especially against teams that press. We have 2 scorers in Boatright and Hamilton, all we need from everybody else is to rebound, defend, block shots, set screens, and feed the ball to Boat and Ham. Facey is a guy that has serious potential of improving and is capable of hitting a jumper out to 15 feet. Going big allows us to crash the board and guys like Facey are quick enough to guard 3's on the perimeter if need be like Roscoe. Playing big allows us to crash the board and force teams to react to our size.
Sarcasm only gets likes when it correctly exposes ridiculous ideas.

And on that note - you want to combat teams that press with worse ball handling and passing? Brilliant.

Reaction Score
huskymagic said:
get the ball to Facey at the free throw line and throw a lob for Brimah for the dunk before the double comes. Nolan or Facey with the put back if he misses :cool:

A lob? One of my bigs is always camped out deep in the paint because I don't have to worry at all about chasing three bigs around the perimeter. If one big gets it, one guy can always cover the other two bigs off the ball, since they aren't a threat outside of five feet.

Best you can hope for using Facey (who has two assists all year) as an outlet against the double, is him swinging it and getting a 15 foot jumper from Nolan or Brimah. And I'll have to see them make it several times before I think about adjusting.

You can beat it with quick big to big interior passing, but I don't think your bigs can do it. And I'll enjoy those turnovers, since I can outrun all your bigs down court and get at least a 3 on 2 every time,

H

huskymagic

Sarcasm only gets likes when it correctly exposes ridiculous ideas.

And on that note - you want to combat teams that press with worse ball handling and passing? Brilliant.

Some of you guys get caught up in simple semantics. Pressing is effective against little guards it doesn't work as well with a 6'9 guy or 7 footer who can see over the top of a press and pass to effective ball handlers and passers in boat and ham.

Reaction Score
Posts like this Cracken are the reason we can't have meaningful discussions but I know your goal to rack up as many likes received as possible on the boneyard so sarcasm should do it.

On to more pertinent matters, our lineup issues. Playing big is a good idea especially against teams that press. We have 2 scorers in Boatright and Hamilton, all we need from everybody else is to rebound, defend, block shots, set screens, and feed the ball to Boat and Ham. Facey is a guy that has serious potential of improving and is capable of hitting a jumper out to 15 feet. Going big allows us to crash the board and guys like Facey are quick enough to guard 3's on the perimeter if need be like Roscoe. Playing big allows us to crash the board and force teams to react to our size.
My concern would be a secondary ball handler. Hamilton has decent handle for his size but he's not quite at the level we'd want him to be.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys get caught up in simple semantics. Pressing is effective against little guards it doesn't work as well with a 6'9 guy or 7 footer who can see over the top of a press and pass to effective ball handlers and passers in boat and ham.

You can't beat a press with maybe 2 decent ball handlers. Sorry. And your second ball handler committed 8 turnovers the last time he was pressed.

This is a ridiculous conversation though because very few teams can effectively press.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Upon further reflection, I am willing to give Cassell a few more games before I completely write him off. Anyone with me?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
My god - can't you ever just realize you are wrong? Do you think you are smarter than the staff in evaluating who might be better at beating the press? If so, maybe you should be coaching. If the best lineup vs the press was a guard, a small forward and three bigs, I think they might have done that. They haven't for a reason. It's not because they are not as smart as you. Several people have pointed out how that lineup would be horrible. You don't seem to be able to accept your idea was not good.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We didn't lose this game due to a lack of three point shooting. We lost because of an inability to score any basket for 7 minutes. During that period we were unable to make a play. The ball (iirc) never went in to the bigs. Passing at the perimeter until the shot clock is about to expire. No one drove to the hoop except Boat's effort that was blocked. Seven minutes. I saw the same approach for every possession no matter how much it was failing.

It is too early to write any player off. But we need an offensive scheme. And it has to occasionally involve or front court

caw

Reaction Score
A lineup with Facey, Nolan and Brimah all in together would be horrendous for spacing. If UConn ever trotted that out, I would fall back into a zone and camp 1 or 2 guys smack in the middle of the paint. Defensively it could work against some teams (not ones that play 3-4 guards).

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Cassell is just not a great shooter - wasn't one in high school and wasn't one at junior college. If you're waiting for him to hit 38-40% of his threes, you're going to be waiting a while.

He is a volume shooter, though, and that's starting to become a problem.

The kid is an 80% free throw shooter from way back...when he resolves to just stand out and throw the ball towards the basket, he's basically turning the ball over. Move towards the basket, post up a smaller guard, get to the middle against the zone, whatever...just stop pretending you're Ray Allen out there.
Agree...if you are not hitting your shots, then take a step in and make a couple to get the confidence back. Also, consider decreasing the amount of fade away or sideways motion until you get the touch back.
He was red hot in the preseason and those shots were open then as well.

Reaction Score
interesting post milkman and good analysis. The lineup listed is probably our lineup for Yale game, and if T-Sam, Purvis, Cassel, Omar arent't playing well I like the idea of playing big like the good old days.

A lineup of Boat, Hamilton, Facey, Nolan, and Brimah deserves some looking into.
Do you realize that we don't have the Harrison twins? WE have bigs who are not scorers and playing them all together won't make them scorers, I thought in preseason that scoring was going to be our problem and right now we have Boat and Hamilton and not much else. Somebody will emerge as the season goes on or we will be playing against sagging zones all season basically negating slashers like Purvis. Omar could be the guy if he ever gets healthy.

Reaction Score

No.

There are plenty of ways to attack a press, but putting the ball in the hands of Amida Brimah, Phil Nolan, or Kentan Facey in the backcourt and expecting them to make good decisions is definitely not one of them. And how exactly can Daniel Hamilton, who had 8 turnovers against West Virginia's press, be called "an effective ball handler and passer" against a pressing defense?

Against that lineup, teams would deny Boatright the ball and then laugh as the other four guys try and get the ball over halfcourt.

In 2009 when we beat Louisville in their gym, Stanley Robinson played 2 minutes. He started the game and Calhoun quickly realized that a three guard lineup would be much better against their press than playing a 6'9'' guy who can "see over the defense" but can't actually dribble. The only thing scarier than Stanley Robinson at the 3 against a press is Kentan Facey at the 3 against a press.

Reaction Score
Eventually some of Cassell's shot will start to fall.

So ... will mine. But, as a 50 year old, they should give me a uniform & let me take shots. Eventually???

Reaction Score
So ... will mine. But, as a 50 year old, they should give me a uniform & let me take shots. Eventually???

There is actually a statistical reference point for Cassell. He will, history shows, over the course of the season shoot between 30-40 per cent.

Although it would be entertaining to see you in a uniform, let alone taking shots, there is no evidence to suggest any of them would fall and the trauma that such a spectacle would cause to innocent children precludes me from advocating for it.

Reaction Score
Eventually some of Cassell's shot will start to fall.
We were all holding out for this last season with Omar, and needless to say it didn't happen. Yes Omar was injured/recovering all year but still, Cassel needs to keep shooting. It was painfully obvious Sunday that we can easily be turned in to a one-dimensional team, and even within that one dimension we only have two good shooters. We need at least one of Jr, Omar, and Purvis to start making shots.

H

huskymagic

Yeah the rest of the sporting world thought this on April 6. Then the Harrison twins met Ryan Boatright.

I am talking about full court press not half court pressure very different not that it matters because only a few teams press most importantly Louisville among them which really bothered us despite having excellent ball handlers in Napier and Boatright last year still took us out of the game against them 3 times. My idea on playing big has very little to do with beating the press which is why I stated some people get caught up in semantics and every little word.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I am talking about full court press not half court pressure very different not that it matters because only a few teams press most importantly Louisville among them which really bothered us despite having excellent ball handlers in Napier and Boatright last year still took us out of the game against them 3 times. My idea on playing big has very little to do with beating the press which is why I stated some people get caught up in semantics and every little word.
goalposts.jpg

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Well if people decided the throw SC Jr under the bus after the Texas game, then people should in turn at least give him some credit for his offense last night. Yes, his defense has a very long way to go, but his stat line from last night was pretty solid. He was the 2nd leading scorer after Brimah.

12 points, 4-6 FGs, 2-3 threes, 2-2 FTs, 1 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal, 0 TOs

Reaction Score
BUHusky said:
Well if people decided the throw SC Jr under the bus after the Texas game, then people should in turn at least give him some credit for his offense last night. Yes, his defense has a very long way to go, but his stat line from last night was pretty solid. He was the 2nd leading scorer after Brimah. 12 points, 4-6 FGs, 2-3 threes, 2-2 FTs, 1 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal, 0 TOs

Cassell can certainly play a role. More minutes if he's hitting, less if he misses a couple in a row With Purvis in and out of the lineup and Calhoun never in the lineup, we've needed more out of him than we should be asking. He shouldn't be out there in crunch time on a day he's 2-11, or on last minute defensive possessions.

Reaction Score
Well if people decided the throw SC Jr under the bus after the Texas game, then people should in turn at least give him some credit for his offense last night. Yes, his defense has a very long way to go, but his stat line from last night was pretty solid. He was the 2nd leading scorer after Brimah.

12 points, 4-6 FGs, 2-3 threes, 2-2 FTs, 1 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal, 0 TOs

Sam had probably his best offensive numbers of the season last night. Just not sure why he's falling away or to the side on every single jump shot even when no one is guarding him.

Reaction Score
Sam had probably his best offensive numbers of the season last night. Just not sure why he's falling away or to the side on every single jump shot even when no one is guarding him.

Because that's how he shoots. Why does Omar throw knuckleballs at the hoop? Why does Shawn Marion shoot the way he does? It's not a beauty contest. I just want them to go in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom