Carrier Dome no more: Syracuse cancels lifetime naming contract | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Carrier Dome no more: Syracuse cancels lifetime naming contract

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Almost as bad a signing a coach to a 10M extension and trying to get out of because you don't feel like paying it.
Thought about correcting the facts on this but then just decided to suggest a moratory of I’m beating this dead horse anymore

Reaction Score
Don't sign a lifetime contract if you're not sure how the landscape will change...in the lifetime of the stadium.

Almost as bad a signing a coach to a 10M extension and trying to get out of because you don't feel like paying it.
I agree with your premise…just don’t bring your KO baggage to your argument.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Please tell me you’re joking.
Sort of. He donated $1M, which was needed to help make sure it even happened. So yeah, critical at the time. But you could sell the naming rights for a lot more than that and UConn AD could sure use the money.

CL82

Reaction Score
Sort of. He donated $1M, which was needed to help make sure it even happened. So yeah, critical at the time. But you could sell the naming rights for a lot more than that and UConn AD could sure use the money.

Don’t. Either your word means something or it doesn’t. The University of Connecticut gave its word that gambles name would be on the arena forever. Only a sleazy organization would try to walk that back.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We took a tour of Syracuse earlier in the year.

The Dome isn’t even a dome anymore. They replaced the dome with a normal roof - it has all the charm of a Fed Ex sorting facility now.

And they were trying to get everyone to stop calling it the Dome…they want people to call it The Stadium now.

Good luck with that.

The Stadium

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
If this sates their appetite for getting rid of outdated things over there, I’m all for it

Reaction Score
Why hasn't UConn sold the naming rights to Gampel?
They are waiting for me to hit powerball or mega millions. At which point every facility will be named after me and the Whalers will be back in Hartford.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Don’t. Either your word means something or it doesn’t. The University of Connecticut gave its word that gambles name would be on the arena forever. Only a sleazy organization would try to walk that back.
I’m not advocating that at all. But they should have named the court for him instead. It was a mistake. If Nebraska can score $27m in naming rights for their arena, UConn, which gets more TV time, could pull in even more.

Reaction Score
Nothing's worse than Bridgeport's brand new music venue named the Hartford Healthcare Amphitheater.

Way to market your city.

could be worse actually -- webster bank arena next door is now called TOTAL MORTGAGE

CL82

Reaction Score
I’m not advocating that at all. But they should have named the court for him instead. It was a mistake. If Nebraska can score $27m in naming rights for their arena, UConn, which gets more TV time, could pull in even more.
Probably, but Gampel is the building has a name and it shouldn’t be changed. You can’t change the terms of an agreement just because you don’t like some of the benefit of hindsight.

Now if someone wants to pay us 27 million for the court naming rights that’s an entirely different thing. I can see it now… Arby’s court at Gampel Pavilion.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Is it really anything other than, "Perform on the terms of the contract, or breach and pay damages"?

Wouldn't, then, the party that suffers from the breach be obligated to file suit and allege damages?

And wouldn't the parties more likely than not negotiate a settlement prior to going to trial?

Everything else here is moral posturing that plays off the bad optics.

Harry Gampel's $1 million dollar contribution definitely seems like a great deal.

My father and his fellow members of a men's monthly dining club - that was comprised of guys who grew up in Hartford's largely Jewish North End during the Depression, and predominantly lived post-World War 2 in West Hartford - certainly thought so at the time.

Reaction Score
Personally, I would have gone with Baby Boy Mowers Sarsparilla over JMA, but others may differ.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
The Gampel name has that national significance. Huh? At least get naming rights from some pizza joint; Pepe's or Sally's
Blaze? JK.

Reaction Score
Dec 11, 2021
Syracuse 75 - Georgetown 79
Patrick Ewing: “The Carrier Dome is officially closed”

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The University of Connecticut gave its word that gambles name would be on the arena forever.
Apropos, iirc Harry loved the horses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom