Caron Butler on how former players view UConn | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Caron Butler on how former players view UConn

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The other note here is that Caron was a former criminal who no major program would touch. Had Calhoun and the UConn admissions folks not looked past his past so to speak he might well have spent his career in Turkey or Latvia or someplace rather than the NBA.

So we have to hate ex-UConn players now?

Reaction Score
That would be the winning argument of "Should UConn have fired Ollie in 2018" debate. But since no one is arguing that Ollie didn't deserve to get fired in 2018, your post is irrelevant.

Bull$&#t. You believe that he's the greatest coach in the history of coaches. Your own words have betrayed you here . . .

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It is possible that former players, having been in the business, might have their own views of what is serious misconduct by a college basketball head coach and might not think using an outside trainer, having an unsanctioned shootaround and facilitating a phone call between a recruit and Ray Allen are fireable offenses. Obviously, that behavior was shocking to David Benedict, coming as he did from Auburn University where Bruce Pearl is famously a stickler for NCAA rules compliance, but some players may not view things from the same pristine perspective.
A+

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Bull$&#t. You believe that he's the greatest coach in the history of coaches. Your own words have betrayed you here . . .

You are not nearly as good at this as I am.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is possible that former players, having been in the business, might have their own views of what is serious misconduct by a college basketball head coach and might not think using an outside trainer, having an unsanctioned shootaround and facilitating a phone call between a recruit and Ray Allen are fireable offenses. Obviously, that behavior was shocking to David Benedict, coming as he did from Auburn University where Bruce Pearl is famously a stickler for NCAA rules compliance, but some players may not view things from the same pristine perspective.

AWESOME POST.

Reaction Score
My momma always said love all your brothers equally. It's a damn shame Caron publicly declared he loves Ollie more than Taliek.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How do they feel about paying for illegal (in the NCAA sense) travel, illegal meals and illegal lodging for players to attend illegal practice with an illegal coach? Are they okay with lying to their bosses and to the NCAA?

Just curious.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
How do they feel about paying for illegal (in the NCAA sense) travel, illegal meals and illegal lodging for players to attend illegal practice with an illegal coach? Are they okay with lying to their bosses and to the NCAA?

Just curious.
I'm narrowing it down. If you're not a UCONN official or lawyer, you're a cop. Maybe the IRS.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Just curious.

I'd be willing to bet most former and current D1 players, especially those with NBA aspirations (realistic or not), view the current system and prior iterations of it as absurd and have absolutely no issue with any of their peers getting anything "illegal" out of it that helps them out financially or professionally.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Caron has talked to his father figure Calhoun about this...since this grievance isn't just Ollie vs. UConn but also Ollie vs. UConn and Calhoun since Ollie's side has tried to bring up Calhoun's misgivings into this.

Reaction Score

Just curious.

I'm sure they would be absolutely outraged that such baseness besmirched their blessed and ever-chaste alma mater and would demand nothing less than swift and absolute justice be visited upon the villain who would author such misdeeds.

Are you seven years old?

Reaction Score
In the real world you need to pick your battles. In this case we had a coach who was violating NCAA rules to the extent that he is effectively banned for 3 years, and he was doing a bad job on top of that. In such a case the university was unwilling to go into battle with the NCAA. In effect it chose to save itself from serious penalties and got rid of the source. Not so different from what an NBA team might do if it had say a former all star now past his prime who was reduced to a bench guy and got caught in s domestic violence thing let’s say. Guy is now more trouble than he is worth so they would likely cut him and try mightily to avoid paying him a full contract. On the other hand if it happened to their shiny 1st round pick they might well take steps to get him back as soon as possible. Counseling, pr support, and so forth. If he is good enough they will even accept some negative publicity. If not they won’t.
The show cause was for mot being forthcoming with the NCAA - if he had been up.front I doubt the violations themselves would have warranted it.

Reaction Score
The other note here is that Caron was a former criminal who no major program would touch. Had Calhoun and the UConn admissions folks not looked past his past so to speak he might well have spent his career in Turkey or Latvia or someplace rather than the NBA.
Dont even know what to say to this - because he has a juvenile record his opinion doesn't count? Are you crazy? He has been more appreciative of Calhoun and UConn than many other players because of that. So to me his being upset with UConn means more than Ray. He knows that second chances and forgiveness is what led to his success.

Reaction Score
The show cause was for mot being forthcoming with the NCAA - if he had been up.front I doubt the violations themselves would have warranted it.
So? Look, i'm not defending anything freescooter has written ever. If he had been up front, maybe he'd still be coaching UConn today. But he wasn't.

Reaction Score
They still would have fired him - for the real reason- he was losing.
You don't know that. We'll never know that. But we do know that if he was fired without violations, he would have been paid. Because the contract stipulates it.

If we're going to fabricate facts to prove a point, then was really fired Ollie because he arranged for payment to multiple players. Benedict couldn't say that because it would have been even more damaging to the program. But that was the real reason. I know because we're allowed to make up facts.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm sure they would be absolutely outraged that such baseness besmirched their blessed and ever-chaste alma mater and would demand nothing less than swift and absolute justice be visited upon the villain who would author such misdeeds.

Are you seven years old?
So your world view is everyone cheats and thus no sanction is ever justified? Just wondering.

Reaction Score
The argument is over money, and everyone defending Ollie is basically arguing the violations weren't a big deal, and/or he would have been fired anyway.

Fine.

If even one of you were honest, you'd accept/admit/acknowledge that without violations, he would have been paid.

But then you'd have nothing to argue about.

Reaction Score
You don't know that. We'll never know that. But we do know that if he was fired without violations, he would have been paid. Because the contract stipulates it.

If we're going to fabricate facts to prove a point, then was really fired Ollie because he arranged for payment to multiple players. Benedict couldn't say that because it would have been even more damaging to the program. But that was the real reason. I know because we're allowed to make up facts.
Please - Calhoun was courting Hurley all season - KO just gave them a better reason and an out on paying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom