Carolyn Peck picks SC | The Boneyard

Carolyn Peck picks SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any anxiety I had about the outcome of the game has gone away with the news that Carolyn Peck is picking South Carolina because she is an IDIOT! I can't fathom what kind of dirty laundry she has with ESPN that she is a sports commentator after all the mindless blather that she continually emanates! She is so totally clueless, it's downright scary!

Reaction Score
Any anxiety I had about the outcome of the game has gone away with the news that Carolyn Peck is picking South Carolina because she is an IDIOT! I can't fathom what kind of dirty laundry she has with ESPN that she is a sports commentator after all the mindless blather that she continually emanates! She is so totally clueless, it's downright scary!
I guess great minds think alike!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
In a more informed comment, Carolyn advised that the type of heals Mulkey is wearing actually make it easier on your knees when you crouch (sideline coaching position)

As long as announcers spend time talking about shoes, the average sports fan is not going to care about WBB. There was one game where the announcers were talking about Dawn Staley's shoes, too. I want to hear about basketball when watching a basketball game.

Reaction Score
Carolyn really knows little about basketball and that was made clear when they removed her from the NCAA coverage. Instead of giving thought provoking details on the game, she references shoes and continues to pick any team but UCONN. I did not see it last year, but did she support Notre Dame or us in the final?

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't understand why it's a big deal that she picked South Carolina. It's not like the commentators are going to affect the outcome of the game if they pick one team over the other.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Carolyn Peck is clueless when it comes to predictions. But since she picked SC, that means UCONN will win.

And I still don't understand why ESPN has her on the payroll.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
ESPN is making sure that there are eyeballs on the TV set for the game tomorrow. If everyone picked UConn, a lot of folks might figure there's no point in tuning in to see how the game turns out.

Besides, have people forgotten Peck's resume?

1. Player at SEC school Vanderbilt
2. After graduation, assistant coach at SEC school Tennessee
3. After leaving UTenn, assistant coach at SEC school Kentucky

She's an SEC homer.

Reaction Score
It would not surprise me if either team win, but it will be a closer game than some people here predict. Calling for a 20 or 30+ points win is just insane.

Reaction Score
CP has every right to make her honest selection and she thinks USC will beat UCONN..............She might be right if Tuck and Stewie do not play and or show up with big games.

Reaction Score
And no doubt the SCar fans are not too surprised about Rebecca Lobo's pick either...

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
OF course
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't understand why it's a big deal that she picked South Carolina. It's not like the commentators are going to affect the outcome of the game if they pick one team over the other.
Of course the commentators are not going to affect the outcome of the game but to me there is something "comforting" about Peck picking SC.....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
ESPN is making sure that there are eyeballs on the TV set for the game tomorrow. If everyone picked UConn, a lot of folks might figure there's no point in tuning in to see how the game turns out.

Besides, have people forgotten Peck's resume?

1. Player at SEC school Vanderbilt
2. After graduation, assistant coach at SEC school Tennessee
3. After leaving UTenn, assistant coach at SEC school Kentucky

She's an SEC homer.

Definitely an SEC homer but to be fair her best work was outside the SEC. She did win a national championship at Perdue in '99. The record of that '99 Perdue team is shaping up eerily similar to this year's UCONN team. That team's only lost of the season was a 1 point loss at Stanford and they won every other game by double digits including the championship over Duke.

Reaction Score
Definitely an SEC homer but to be fair her best work was outside the SEC. She did win a national championship at Perdue in '99. The record of that '99 Perdue team is shaping up eerily similar to this year's UCONN team. That team's only lost of the season was a 1 point loss at Stanford and they won every other game by double digits including the championship over Duke.

Perdue...what a bunch of chickens.

Reaction Score
not a big deal that CP picks USC.... after all as it has been pointed out..... ESPN has to build some excitement some suspense.....

i think of course UC has the more complete team and has more going for them.... including the home court advantage.......

i am not looking at their schedule now, but has USC had any big wins? Who have they played.... as I recall, they have a weak schedule...... and again as I recall, they wom barely vs a mediocre Duke team with a miracle finish......

Go Huskies

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It's not like Carolyn Peck came into Purdue and turned around a nothing team. She was coach at Purdue for 2 years and when she came in, inherited a team that had been ranked #23 the year before she arrived. Purdue won the championship with players recruited by Lin Dunn and Nell Fortner (Ukarki Figgs, Stephanie White & Katie Douglas). Maybe she's a good coach, I don't know - she didn't coach all that long, but it's not like she's some kind of coaching genius who drops pearls of wisdom when she speaks.

Reaction Score

She won the NCAA,s with Nell Fortner's Purdue team. Nell took a leave of absence to coach the Olympic team. My solution when she is the analyst is to turn off the sound. She is a pathetic analyst and does a poor job of representing ESPN.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's not like Carolyn Peck came into Purdue and turned around a nothing team. She was coach at Purdue for 2 years and when she came in, inherited a team that had been ranked #23 the year before she arrived. Purdue won the championship with players recruited by Lin Dunn and Nell Fortner (Ukarki Figgs, Stephanie White & Katie Douglas). Maybe she's a good coach, I don't know - she didn't coach all that long, but it's not like she's some kind of coaching genius who drops pearls of wisdom when she speaks.

Definitely not a coaching genius and not who I would listen to for pearls of wisdom. Her saving graces for me are personal 1) She showed brief interest in recruiting my daughter while coaching at Florida. I am grateful to any such coach. 2) Only/First African American woman coach to win a NCAA women's basketball championship- a role model of sorts- can't have enough of those.

As a commentator, much like Doris Burke- someone has to call the game-, makes no difference to me. There is always the mute button .

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Still mind boggling to me that she was able to win a championship. She had a fantastic roster with White-McCarty, Figgs, Douglas and Cooper, but she is so bad as an analyst which makes me question how she could be that good of a coach.

Also, besides the 1 loss record and close loss to Stanford, there aren't many similarities between 1999 Purdue and 2015 UCONN. Purdue had many close calls-- 11 wins by single digits, including several two point squeakers and an overtime win. They needed last second free throws to avoid overtime against Minnesota, who was 7-18 and 2-13 in Big Ten play. On the season, Purdue's final MOV was 16 points, where UCONN's is at 40ish right now and hasn't had a game closer than 16 points outside of Stanford. They'll probably match Purdue though by hoisting the championship when the season is over.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In addition to Carolyn's SEC past, she's a former post player. She always talks about the post players as being most important. So she picks the team with the bigger lineup. I'm not surprised. Rebecca knows that SC is good, but she also knows that they may be unprepared for tomorrow night's experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom