Carlton Bragg Transfering From Kansas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Carlton Bragg Transfering From Kansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not being able to crack KU's rotation the last few years would be the equivalent of a starter in our front courts over the same period. At this point we are not in a position to be picky.

The last few years I would agree with you. This past year they were far from loaded in the front court. Facey and Brimah would have played more on that KU team than Bragg did. Not saying he can't help us, but I'd rather recruit a big from the high school ranks at this point.

Reaction Score
If he is good, take him. UConn hoops starting to feel effects of not being in P5 conference. Not getting elites likenunder JC.

Reaction Score
Or Oregon

I check this forum because you guys have good recruiting and OT threads.

I would have placed large amounts of money on this a few years ago. But I think they have moved beyond this kind of move.

Who do you think has taken over the title of program that will sign anyone if they can dribble and shoot, regardless of off court issues?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I check this forum because you guys have good recruiting and OT threads.

I would have placed large amounts of money on this a few years ago. But I think they have moved beyond this kind of move.

Who do you think has taken over the title of program that will sign anyone if they can dribble and shoot, regardless of off court issues?
Western Kentucky or Auburn, actually most of the SEC can qualify.

Reaction Score
I personally don't see the hurry to bring in a kid who couldn't crack a pretty thin front court rotation for KU. If he was immediately eligible, that's one thing. But there are kids who transfer because they were in a bad situation and then there are kids who transfer because they made it a bad situation. I think he's the second one.
That's Bill Self, Cheick Diallo couldn't either.

Reaction Score
That's Bill Self, Cheick Diallo couldn't either.

True, but at least last year you had Perry Ellis playing 35 minutes a game and then guys like Jamari Traylor off the bench. (Incidentally, Bragg did get some PT in the tournament last year).

This year it was really just Landen Lucas. Josh Jackson was playing the four for them most of the time and they were leakier defensively than they were most years. If Bragg could play, he would have (Kansas fans also seemed to hate him, for what it's worth - they were pretty adamant that he was soft).

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Talented, player who makes terrible off court decisions.

My guess he goes back home or the SEC

Reaction Score
Yeah, he's a knucklehead off the court, but he's also a former Burger Boy who couldn't get his act together at KU. I think a change of scenery will do him good. He had numerous chances and his play was less than stellar to say the least.

Reaction Score
True, but at least last year you had Perry Ellis playing 35 minutes a game and then guys like Jamari Traylor off the bench. (Incidentally, Bragg did get some PT in the tournament last year).

This year it was really just Landen Lucas. Josh Jackson was playing the four for them most of the time and they were leakier defensively than they were most years. If Bragg could play, he would have (Kansas fans also seemed to hate him, for what it's worth - they were pretty adamant that he was soft).

I think it was a real tough adjustment for Self and KU losing Perry Ellis after 8 years.

Reaction Score
If he is good, take him. UConn hoops starting to feel effects of not being in P5 conference. Not getting elites likenunder JC.

It is true we are not getting the elite recruits anymore. Not being in the Power 5 may be one reason but is it the only reason? Other teams, not in the Power 5, continue to get elite (outstanding) recruits, e.g. , Gonzaga, Witchita, SMU, Cincinnati, Butler and others. Why not us? Are there other reasons? Hmmmm!!

Reaction Score
It is true we are not getting the elite recruits anymore. Not being in the Power 5 may be one reason but is it the only reason? Other teams, not in the Power 5, continue to get elite (outstanding) recruits, e.g. , Gonzaga, Witchita, SMU, Cincinnati, Butler and others. Why not us? Are there other reasons? Hmmmm!!

Please name the elite level recruits this teams are getting? Because their classes in the last 5 years look very similar to ours. Elite level? They don't bring in top 20 guys usually just as we haven't been. Just outside that maybe one or two. But so have we. Gilbert, jalen, dham, mal until went crazy. There is no difference between our classes and theirs

Reaction Score
Please name the elite level recruits this teams are getting? Because their classes in the last 5 years look very similar to ours. Elite level? They don't bring in top 20 guys usually just as we haven't been. Just outside that maybe one or two. But so have we. Gilbert, jalen, dham, mal until went crazy. There is no difference between our classes and theirs

The difference is that our classes were filled with far more top 100 players. Totally inaccurate post from the guy above you.

Reaction Score

Huh?

UConn has out-recruited all the teams you listed except Gonzaga.

Holding onto recruits is a bigger problem. The losses of MAL, Durham, Enoch, Vance Jackson, all of who signed to play for UConn, is troubling. BUT these players plus the likes of Daniel Hamilton, Jalen Adams and Alterique Gilbert are higher ranked than the kids at the schools you mention.

In 2014, UConn has grabbed the #18 ranked player in the country. Cincy grabbed the #94 in Gary Clark. None of Wichita, SMU, Butler had even a single player in the top 100. Gonzaga snagged Sabonis and Perkins.

In 2015, UConn grabbed the #31 and #48. SMU grabbed Shake Milton at #93. None of Cincy, Wichita, Gonzaga and Butler got a single top 100 player.

In 2016, UConn grabbed #32, #46 and #79. Cincy got Jarron Cumberland at #42. None of Wichita, Butler and SMU grabbed a single top 100. Gonzaga grabbed Zach Collins and Killian Tillie.

In 2017, UConn had #39 sign. None of the other schools including Gonzaga had a single top 100.

So, over the last 4 years:

Gonzaga: Sabonis, Perkins, Collins and Tillie.
UConn: #18, #31, #32, #39, #46, #48, #79.
Cincy: #42, #94
SMU: #93
Wichita: zero
Butler: zero

Clearly, UConn has outrecruited every school on your list over the last 4 years. UConn has also advanced further in the NCAAs than schools like SMU, Butler, Wichita and Cincy.

This years problems were due to injuries, and now we have departures. Of the 7 top 100s that UConn has recruited, only Jalen Adams and Alterique Gilbert are left. #18 left for the NBADL, #39 asked out of his signed LOI, #s 46, 48, and 79 just transferred.

Recruiting isn't the problem. You might say injuries, development, scouting, and temperament/attitude are the problems.

C

Chief00

I have been screaming about development for two years - and now we need to take the medicine.

Reaction Score
So, over the last 4 years:

Gonzaga: Sabonis, Perkins, Collins and Tillie.
UConn: #18, #31, #32, #39, #46, #48, #79.
Cincy: #42, #94
SMU: #93
Wichita: zero
Butler: zero

Clearly, UConn has outrecruited every school on your list over the last 4 years. UConn has also advanced further in the NCAAs than schools like SMU, Butler, Wichita and Cincy.
I agree. Many of us have been saying this. The only thing I will say negative about recruiting is maybe Ollie isn't taking the right highly ranked guys. Guys that fit his system. Guys who have the right work ethic. Whatever it is. Mick Cronin doesn't get a lot of highly ranked kids but he recruits kids who fit his system and coaching style. They win during the regular season but then they flame out in the NCAA Tournament because I don't think they have the shear talent to win then. It's a very tough balancing act. Which is why I think we need to give Ollie a little longer to figure this all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom