Cardoso Visit? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Cardoso Visit?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If Gabriel committing scared Cardoso away (I don't think it did), that either tells us that Gabriel is a lot better than we anticipate or Cardoso isn't as good as advertised.

Gabriel received her offer from UConn on September 16th. My guess--just a guess--is that UConn did this shortly after they were out on Cardoso. They certainly wouldn't have dropped Cardoso for Gabriel, and I doubt Cardoso would've dropped them for picking up Gabriel.

Reaction Score
It makes sense, Cardosa would most likely not start until her junior year at the earliest playing behind Nelson-Ododa. The addition of Gabriel only added more competition for minutes and not many kids want to wait that long for a guaranteed starting job. I can see UConn waiting until 2021 and making a big push for a big with some more versatility like DeBerry. Somebody that can step out and play the 4 alongside Gabriel at the 5 in a BIG lineup.
For you and for Cardoza a silly assumption that she wouldn't start for 3 years. There has never been an inhibition by Geno to keep a top player from starting simply because he had an equal talented player ahead of her--even Geno is not beyond alternating starts to accommodate a specific , player--obviously, we need to go back 25 years for that/ As Geno has done often this past year and a half--he changes old time convictions to keep up with the times and new type of players. NEVER SAY NEVER with GENO.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Gabriel committed.

Is it possible that UConn won't give an offer unless the recruit has qualified for a scholarship? To me it looks like UConn & Cardoso reached an impasse for whatever reason and UConn smartly had a fall back option, one I like btw. I always prefer upside potential to a more skilled player who is near or at her peak, whatever that means. Gabriel has the physique and the pedigree. With a sister at D1 and a brother in the pros it's clear her family is committed and they know who can coach her to the next level. There's reason to believe she could become at least a 15min/g player, much like Stokes. And she could be better.
And one thing I am sure of is that she is acaemically eligible. The entire New Emgland prep school system's sole reason for existence is to get kids into Ivy League level schools, and get athletes a D1 scholarship. Some of UConn's best men came out of that system.

I'll play Tony for a sentence. A year from now, after the first practice in 2000/2001, the media will all be asking about Bueckers and Geno will say: "Forget about PB, I want to talk about PG who has made amazing progress since she committed". Things will work out their own way so why not think positive?

Reaction Score
For you and for Cardoza a silly assumption that she wouldn't start for 3 years. There has never been an inhibition by Geno to keep a top player from starting simply because he had an equal talented player ahead of her--even Geno is not beyond alternating starts to accommodate a specific , player--obviously, we need to go back 25 years for that/ As Geno has done often this past year and a half--he changes old time convictions to keep up with the times and new type of players. NEVER SAY NEVER with GENO.

So you think Cardosa(a freshman) would have alternated starts with ONO(a junior)?

Reaction Score
Only if she was that good.
No way in the world. I don’t care how good you are. Seniority rules at UConn. Freshman start when players get injured or it’s absolutely necessary.

Reaction Score
No way in the world. I don’t care how good you are. Seniority rules at UConn. Freshman start when players get injured or it’s absolutely necessary.

I can see how you think that.

Reaction Score
Then why did Christyn and Megan start last year when juniors Kyla and Molly were healthy and had seniority?

Reaction Score
Then why did Christyn and Megan start last year when juniors Kyla and Molly were healthy and had seniority?
Really?! Haha!!:D Obviously they would never start or get minutes compared Williams and Walker. Stop trolling. That is not a good comparison as far talent is concerned when you’re discussing Cardoso and Ododa. Kia Nurse started over Saniya Chong when Chong couldn’t play defense. Samuelson started over Gabby when Gabby wasn’t quite ready. Maya Moore started when Kalana Greene got injured. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis led the team in scoring her freshman year and if my memory serves me correctly, didn’t start NOT ONE game. Azura Stevens wasn’t a freshman but she was a newcomer and should’ve started her one year there. She did not start because you have to wait your turn at UConn.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity...where did her coach say she was not visiting UConn?
I think one of our poster contacted and put the question directly to Keshia Hunt via social media.
I have a related questions is she visiting other schools & just not UCONN?
The reason I'm asking there, was a curious note from spring time frame "suggesting" that KC had yet to make her decision about playing college basketball at all. Might she be going professional?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So you think Cardosa(a freshman) would have alternated starts with ONO(a junior)?
I disagree with most of that. KC would get minutes as a freshmen and likely be a starter as a sophomore given the current state of the UCONN roster. ONO can be that big versatile forward starting alongside KC.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think one of our poster contacted and put the question directly to Keshia Hunt via social media.
I have a related questions is she visiting other schools & just not UCONN?
The reason I'm asking there, was a curious note from spring time frame "suggesting" that KC had yet to make her decision about playing college basketball at all. Might she be going professional?
Interesting suggestion. I note that there is a 10 team women’s professional basketball league in Brazil. I suspect that a number of these teams would be interested in Cardosa. If she does not qualify for a scholarship, that may be her best option.

Reaction Score

Cocohusky, what position do you think Cardosa would had started at as a sophomore?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What position would Cardosa had started at as a sophomore?
Center! 5! Duh! Post!
5 KC
4 ONO
3 Mir. Saylor, Aubrey or Anna
2 Christyn
1 Paige

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Center! 5! Duh! Post!
5 Cardosa
4 ONO
3 Walker
2 Williams
1 Westbrook (if she is on the roster) Paige if not .

No shot Nelson-Ododa plays the 4! She does not have the handle or jump shot to play the 4 in UConn's system! The ONLY time she would see time there is against a bigger team, where Auriemma wanted to match up better with height.

By the way, Walker will be in the WNBA when Cardosa is a sophomore.

5 Nelson-Ododa
4. McClean/ Deberry(If she commits)
3. Westbrook
2. Williams
1. Bueckers

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We can close this thread down, Cardosa will NOT be visiting UConn according to her coach Keisha Hunt!
Maybe I missed something earlier, but is Keisha Hunt perhaps the mother or some other relative of Treasure Hunt?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom