Cardoso Visit? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cardoso Visit?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Once we all learn the proper Brazilian spelling of Brasil, we might even consider
learning to stop mangling the young lady's last name, which is not "Cardosa".

It's ok to call her Kamilla Soares, or Kamilla Soares Cardoso Silva, or, to keep it simple for us folk who are not accustomed to last names with both matronymic and patronymic components, Kamilla Cardoso.

If you think this is much ado about nothing, consider your own likely reaction when a TN fan calls our coach "Gino" or "Auriemo".

OK, I'm at a loss here. I've seen lots of posters spell her name "CardosO, and I've seen her name as I posted above as CardosA, which I've deleted. I'll use whatever name is correct. Which is it? You seem to know much more about this than I do. I have no preference. I'll use whatever she prefers, or whatever is correct. You're advocating Cardoso, so that's what I'll use from now on. :cool: Which ever way I spell it, people will know who I'm referring to. I also agree with Oldude that She can spell it anyway she prefers when she signs her LOI to attend UConn. ;)

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
OK, I'm at a loss here. I've seen lots of posters spell her name "CardosO, and I've seen her name as I posted above as CardosA. I'll use whatever name is correct. Which is it? You seem to know much more about this than I do. I have no preference. I'll use whatever she prefers, or whatever is correct. You're advocating Cardoso, so that's what I'll use from now on. :cool: Which ever way I spell it, people will know who I'm referring to.
Let's just refer to her as K. C. And when she joins the UConn family her team mates can be known collectively as the Sunshine Band. And all this stuff is just getting crazy.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
OK, I'm at a loss here. I've seen lots of posters spell her name "CardosO, and I've seen her name as I posted above as CardosA. I'll use whatever name is correct. Which is it? You seem to know much more about this than I do. I have no preference. I'll use whatever she prefers, or whatever is correct. You're advocating Cardoso, so that's what I'll use from now on. :cool: Which ever way I spell it, people will know who I'm referring to.

You almost have to be Brazilian (Brasileiro) to get comfortable with this stuff... but here are a few odds and ends to add to the confusion. (Uma verdadeira bagunça.) [a veritible shambles/a genuine mess]

1. She has first name, Kamilla. Many Brazilian celebrities, in sports, music, even politics, go by their first name only. That works, and Kamilla shouldn't cause much further argument, even here.

2. Usually, but not always, the first of a string of last names in Brazil is the mother'surname, in this case Soares. Some Brazilian sports journals call her Kamilla Soares.

3. It's more common in Brazil to use the second family name, the patronymic or father's last name, Cardoso in this case.

4. She has yet another "last name", Silva, perhaps the single most common last name in the country. It probably comes from the father's side of the family, but not necessarily.

If your eyes haven't started doing counter-rotating loops yet, we shall now get into the weeds:

a. Cardosa is a fairly common last name in Brazil, Portugal, and various Spanish speaking countries.
b. The same is true of Cardoso.
c. These are two distinct names. João Felipe Cardoso would not be confused with
a person with the same first name and middle name but the last name Cardosa.
d. The foreign press is apt to ignore the distinction, and screw things up with fair frequency

Here comes the fun part—if pronunciation is your idea of fun. In Portugal, the young lady's patronymic would sound something like Car doe zo, with the emphasis on the second syllable. In Brazil, however, a final letter "o" has a u sound, like the double o in 'boom'. Hence, in Brazilian Portuguese, it's Car doe zu.

Oh! The letter "r" is rhotic, or pronounced when it's in the middle of a word, so
no British or Bostonian cahh. Nope, it is car with a spoken r. When the letter r comes at the beginning of a Brazilian word, all bets are off, as it's pronounced as if it were an American English h. Thus rápido (rapid, speedy, fast) in São Paulo sounds like Hah pee doo. For a final indignity to your tired eyes and ears, in Portugal it's Rap pee dough.

So it is entirely up to you. All of the following are valid somewhere, at least after sunset.

Kamilla
Kamilla Cardoso

Kamilla Soares
Kamilla Soares Cardoso
Kamilla Soares Cardoso Silva.

Invalid, but in use in some quarters:
Kamilla Silva
Kamilla Cardosa

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You almost have to be Brazilian (Brasileiro) to get comfortable with this stuff... but here are a few odds and ends to add to the confusion. (Uma verdadeira bagunça.) [a veritible shambles/a genuine mess]

1. She has first name, Kamilla. Many Brazilian celebrities, in sports, music, even politics, go by their first name only. That works, and Kamilla shouldn't cause much further argument, even here.

2. Usually, but not always, the first of a string of last names in Brazil is the mother'surname, in this case Soares. Some Brazilian sports journals call her Kamilla Soares.

3. It's more common in Brazil to use the second family name, the patronymic or father's last name, Cardoso in this case.

4. She has yet another "last name", Silva, perhaps the single most common last name in the country. It probably comes from the father's side of the family, but not necessarily.

If your eyes haven't started doing counter-rotating loops yet, we shall now get into the weeds:

a. Cardosa is a fairly common last name in Brazil, Portugal, and various Spanish speaking countries.
b. The same is true of Cardoso.
c. These are two distinct names. João Felipe Cardoso would not be confused with
a person with the same first name and middle name but the last name Cardosa.
d. The foreign press is apt to ignore the distinction, and screw things up with fair frequency

Here comes the fun part—if pronunciation is your idea of fun. In Portugal, the young lady's patronymic would sound something like Car doe zo, with the emphasis on the second syllable. In Brazil, however, a final letter "o" has a u sound, like the double o in 'boom'. Hence, in Brazilian Portuguese, it's Car doe zu.

Oh! The letter "r" is rhotic, or pronounced when it's in the middle of a word, so
no British or Bostonian cahh. Nope, it is car with a spoken r. When the letter r comes at the beginning of a Brazilian word, all bets are off, as it's pronounced as if it were an American English h. Thus rápido (rapid, speedy, fast) in São Paulo sounds like Hah pee doo. For a final indignity to your tired eyes and ears, in Portugal it's Rap pee dough.

So it is entirely up to you. All of the following are valid somewhere, at least after sunset.

Kamilla
Kamilla Cardoso

Kamilla Soares
Kamilla Soares Cardoso
Kamilla Soares Cardoso Silva.

Invalid, but in use in some quarters:
Kamilla Silva
Kamilla Cardosa
Você e Carioca? Paulista? Bahiano?

Reaction Score
If you take the time to reread what @Sifaka wrote, you will see that the "Brasil" spelling is something @Geosfun was requesting of the UConn staff. Sifaka was pointing out that the young lady might be at least as impressed with the correct spelling of her name as with the "correct" spelling of her country. So perhaps Sifaka is less pedantic than you are overly censorious. ;)
Unbelievable!

Reaction Score
no need to worry about spelling or pronunciation.....................everybody knows she's way too tall at 6'7" to sign with UConn.......................;).

Reaction Score
giphy.gif

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="soxfan23, post: 32904
Wow, almost 2 entire thread pages and a total of only 3 posts relating to the title of the thread.
[/QUOTE]
Did you know that in Braz(s)il, “wow” is spelled “wow”.? Or maybe it izn’t.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The country's name in a sampling of Latin-alphabet-based languages:

Spanish, Catalan, Basque, Norwegian, Vietnamese, Bahasa Indonesian, Javanese, Afrikaans: Brasil​
French: Brésil​
Italian: Brasile​
German, Swedish, Danish: Brasilien​
Finnish: Brasilia​
Estonian: Brasiilia​
Icelandic: Brasilía​
English, Haitian Creole, Bosnian, Croatian, Swahili, Igbo, Tagalog: Brazil​
Dutch: Brazilië​
Polish: Brazylia​
Czech: Brazílie​
Hungarian: Brazília​
Romanian: Brazilia​
Lithuanian: Brazilija​
Latvian: Brazīlija​
Albanian: Brazili​
Maltese: Brażil
Turkish: Brezilya​
Kurdish: Brezîlya​
Uzbek: Braziliya​
Malagasy: Brazila​
Zulu: IBrazili​

Roughly even split between languages using "z" vs. "s" for the middle consonant.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If anyone on twitter wants to know: ask Keisha Hunt (AAU and HS Coach) she will answer pretty much any question lol.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The country's name in a sampling of Latin-alphabet-based languages:

Spanish, Catalan, Basque, Norwegian, Vietnamese, Bahasa Indonesian, Javanese, Afrikaans: Brasil​
French: Brésil​
Italian: Brasile​
German, Swedish, Danish: Brasilien​
Finnish: Brasilia​
Estonian: Brasiilia​
Icelandic: Brasilía​
English, Haitian Creole, Bosnian, Croatian, Swahili, Igbo, Tagalog: Brazil​
Dutch: Brazilië​
Polish: Brazylia​
Czech: Brazílie​
Hungarian: Brazília​
Romanian: Brazilia​
Lithuanian: Brazilija​
Latvian: Brazīlija​
Albanian: Brazili​
Maltese: Brażil
Turkish: Brezilya​
Kurdish: Brezîlya​
Uzbek: Braziliya​
Malagasy: Brazila​
Zulu: IBrazili​

Roughly even split between languages using "z" vs. "s" for the middle consonant.
Canadian? :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom