Cardoso Visit? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cardoso Visit?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is everybody done now?
Not quite:

1570417776314.png

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well one good thing is, if she commits to UCONN, her name won't be on her jersey anyway.

At least we doesn't have to call her Johnson.

Reaction Score
We can close this thread down, Cardosa will NOT be visiting UConn according to her coach Keisha Hunt!
Well i guess we got our answer. The only other player we know UConn is interest in is Edwards.

Reaction Score
Well i guess we got our answer. The only other player we know UConn is interest in is Edwards.
As much as I like Edwards as a player, I think UConn may be done for 2020.

Reaction Score
Like I said.
It makes sense, Cardosa would most likely not start until her junior year at the earliest playing behind Nelson-Ododa. The addition of Gabriel only added more competition for minutes and not many kids want to wait that long for a guaranteed starting job. I can see UConn waiting until 2021 and making a big push for a big with some more versatility like DeBerry. Somebody that can step out and play the 4 alongside Gabriel at the 5 in a BIG lineup.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It makes sense, Cardosa would most likely not start until her junior year at the earliest playing behind Nelson-Ododa. The addition of Gabriel only added more competition for minutes and not many kids want to wait that long for a guaranteed starting job. I can see UConn waiting until 2021 and making a big push for a big with some more versatility like DeBerry. Somebody that can step out and play the 4 alongside Gabriel at the 5 in a BIG lineup.
I disagree with most of that. KC would get minutes as a freshmen and likely be a starter as a sophomore given the current state of the UCONN roster. ONO can be that big versatile forward starting alongside KC.

Reaction Score
I disagree with most of that. KC would get minutes as a freshmen and likely be a starter as a sophomore given the current state of the UCONN roster. ONO can be that big versatile forward starting alongside KC.

No chance!

Reaction Score
I trust and hope that it has been or will be pointed out to Kamilla that there are tons of Portuguese-speaking people living in the CT-MA area, with large Portuguese/Brasilian communities in places like Hartford, Waterbury, Stonington, Fall River, New Bedford, Ludlow, Gloucester, Provincetown. No way can South Carolina or any other top-flight school match this.
Hope too that the staff uses the proper spelling for Brasil . . .
You are correct. My nephew married into one family and moved back to Brazil (American spelling) with the family. Teaches English there. I wonder where he learned that??

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I can see UConn waiting until 2021 and making a big push for a big with some more versatility like DeBerry. Somebody that can step out and play the 4 alongside Gabriel at the 5 in a BIG lineup.

We don't even know what kind of talent Gabriel is exactly. Considering her current standing, she might be a bench type player. I think there was room for Cardoso, and there was definitely interest at one point. Hunt was the one who told the media UConn was one of the five schools Cardoso would be visiting. Something obviously changed in the last month or so.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We don't even know what kind of talent Gabriel is exactly. Considering her current standing, she might be a bench type player. I think there was room for Cardoso, and there was definitely interest at one point. Hunt was the one who told the media UConn was one of the five schools Cardoso would be visiting. Something obviously changed in the last month or so.
As related in another thread, it appears that Cardosa has yet to qualify academically for an NCAA athletic scholarship.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
As related in another thread, it appears that Cardosa has yet to qualify academically for an NCAA athletic scholarship.

I saw that but I assume it's a formality. Doesn't sound like it will be a roadblock.

Reaction Score
I agree about a bench type player. Unless lighting strikes, I think it will take 2-3 years for her to develop. I’m not optimistic about Edwards either. Haven’t heard anything about a scheduled visit yet. I mistakenly thought Kia Nurse would have a much more positive influence on her. I would be pleasantly surprised if we landed her.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I agree about a bench type player. Unless lighting strikes, I think it will take 2-3 years for her to develop. I’m not optimistic about Edwards either. Haven’t heard anything about a scheduled visit yet. I mistakenly thought Kia Nurse would have a much more positive influence on her. I would be pleasantly surprised if we landed her.

There is no word on any scheduled visits for Edwards yet so I wouldn't read much into that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I saw that but I assume it's a formality. Doesn't sound like it will be a roadblock.
Well, kids start taking standardized tests in their jr year of HS. For whatever reason, Cardosa did not have the requisite core course GPA/standardized test score, or she doesn’t have a sufficient number of core courses yet.

There are 2 stages to meet the core course requirements. If a student completes 10 core courses (math, science, English, social sciences or foreign language) with a 2.3 GPA by the start of their senior year, they qualify preliminarily for an athletic scholarship. Ultimately, they must have 16 core courses at graduation with a 2.3 GPA.

Reaction Score

Yeah, Gabriel committed.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Yeah, Gabriel committed.

If Gabriel committing scared Cardoso away (I don't think it did), that either tells us that Gabriel is a lot better than we anticipate or Cardoso isn't as good as advertised.

Either way, one is coming and the other isn't, so we must be doomed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Gabriel committing scared Cardoso away (I don't think it did), that either tells us that Gabriel is a lot better than we anticipate or Cardoso isn't as good as advertised.

Either way, one is coming and the other isn't, so we must be doomed.
Again, I will repeat that with about a month until NLI's can be signed by students, it appears from the ESPN article that Cardosa is not yet academically qualified for a scholarship. This is not an insignificant issue, particularly for Geno Auriemma and UConn.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Again, I will repeat that with about a month until NLI's can be signed by students, it appears from the ESPN article that Cardosa is not yet academically qualified for a scholarship. This is not an insignificant issue, particularly for Geno Auriemma and UConn.

If her mom and sister are flying up from Brasil/Brazil, as reported, to accompany her on these visits, my guess is that if they're not coming to UConn to visit, as reported by Keisha Hunt, she's not coming to UConn.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If her mom and sister are flying up from Brasil/Brazil, as reported, to accompany her on these visits, my guess is that if they're not coming to UConn to visit, as reported by Keisha Hunt, she's not coming to UConn.
I don't disagree. My point is that if there is some question as to whether or not she will be academically eligible for an athletic scholarship during October of her senior year of HS, I would not be surprised if Geno and UConn backed away from their interest in Cardosa.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom